Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Rarity posted:

karmicknight how do you feel about vinceflex?

a policy is currently being drawn up by the committee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

CommonShore posted:

came here to ask that - what is the context I have no idea what's going on in that thread

Basically Ichibahn has spent (I was going to say literal years citing problems dating back to 2017, but his rap sheet actually has him being banned for trolling in 2007 so take that further into context) years doing short low effort shitposts that are either directly trolling or otherwise just making absolutely poo poo posts. The post hit was just the latest in a pair (that I recall) of low effort poo poo posts that basically only existed to be a dick and contribute nothing. So I ended up hitting the more recent one mechanically, but it is very much a greater history of the poster.

edit: oh god now I've gone and made an actual post in this thread.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I'm going to say directly I am personally against any name that is explicitly wrestling related and also explicitly a memorial thing. The former ignores the non-wrestling half of the forum and the later is very morbid. Otherwise please continue pitching stuff until I can astroturf enough support for Punch Sport Pagoda to return.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Brut has achieved your goals. Mission Accomplished we're back at the end of the bus with the cool kids again.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Also, vis-a-vis spoilers et cetera, my personal opinion is that if something has been broadcast live, the promotion is going to treat it as having had happened so I don't see the point in trying to avoid information you didn't see live. However I dig that there are highly anticipated wrestler events and if a post is reported complaining about spoilers for a big event happening outside of that event/promotions thread (Social Media, Bad Opinions, other promotion's threads), report it and I will jump on getting it tagged or whatever is actually needed.

NienNunb posted:

There should be a card magic trick thread in the poker forum

Be the change you want to see in the world, I cannot (nor do I honeltly want to, card tricks loving rule) stop you.

So yeah, from this point forward talking about the poker forum should be in the general thread or the poker forum, not here.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
RE: The AEW Thread Covid Derail.

The posts saying they were uncomfortable/non-uncomfortable going to shows were fine, what was bad was when the thread because about debating Dr. Fauci.

This is a wrestling subforum and if there is a thread about talking about Dr. Fauci (either defending him or taking shots at him I'm not going to pretend to have a read) is happening it should not be in in this forum and it is not the AEW thread and if you want to have a slapfight about him, or COVID policies, or anything actionable have it elsewhere.

Post about Wrestling/MMA and their related personalities and those people's foibles.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, it would go on my list of possible name changes, but only in the event of a forum-wide BYOB prank.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
It appears I should not have gone to bed early last night (9:30).

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MotU posted:

He made that first post at 430 though

That one was claimed by the lovely bad reddit SCJerk when I read it yesterday in the google doc. Like it named the place in what I was pretty sure was part of it's form. I didn't see the other one so I don't know why it ended up attributed where it did.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Rarity posted:

I'm not doing writeups this time :argh:

But you'd like a place to just kind of throw up reactions to old stuff you watch?

Because it sounds like a "old wrestling" thread has some various sources (J-Ro could put the NOAH streams up there, that wrestling Roku channel could get some play), if no one wants to particularly be the change they want to see in the world, I can put together an OP for a ghosts of wrestling's past (the cool and interesting bits) thread after Dynamite.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
It was a joke 6er.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

Just post a topic. Hell, make two. One for off-topic wrestling anticdotes and one for general pre 90's wrestling. Worst that can happen is nobody uses them

What (Classic) Wrestling Are You Watching thread created: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963165

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

I'm pretty sure all of my ancestors who moved to Ohio in the first place are dead, but I've like never looked into it.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

people should just post the threads they want so bad, nobodies stopping them

:emptyquote:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Originally from: The Chris Regal Memorial Bad Takes Thread: you don't have to argue with stuff posted

Cerebral Bore posted:

If you yourself don't even want to look at the place, then surely you have to realize how unreasonable it sounds that your solution is "well just go engage with the place that I myself don't want anything to do with".

Like, I get if posting poo poo from these forums overall is verboten and that's OK, but in that case the people with authority have to make sure that some modicum of decency is maintained even in the wild west forums zones. Because it's still publicly viewable and people will be looking and I've been on SA long enough to see that if there either is no outside pressure valve or some sort of moderation the whole thing will blow up eventually and the fallout will end up loving both subforums up.

If you are reading the posts to get mad, I'm sorry to tell you but you are already engaging. That ship has sailed because reading and feeling emotions is engagement. The question is what are you doing with that engagement because taking it and bringing it to another forum to, I don't know, signal boost it to get other people mad with you, is something I'm not keen on in general.

What is the material difference from posting it in the Chris Regal thread and posting it in the forum you found it, in response to something you think is lovely and worthy of challenge.

In a positive direction, specifically, because the main substantive difference is that I'll get annoyed at people trying to start fights (a dick move) over stuff I don't read or care about, because I remain completely cool with knowing there is a forum that I don't vibe with. (this is okay, you are free not to vibe with a forum or posting culture, but in the end posting on this website only matters as much as you make it)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, I'll be honest, the first week it was just a goof I thought would be funny since the Friday Forum had like an announcement and everything. And then someone pointed out it was back after I had posted the GDT, so I went with the flow.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, the Friday Forum's gimmick loving with app users is as good an excuse as any to stop with what was a fun bit once, a requested bit the second time, but does not need to be ran into the ground.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I'll be honest, I did forget this week I can't just reel the thread back into PSP at will.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
lmao.

I was considering pitching like Punchsport Poltergeist, but I am also a curmudgeon.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Overall, I thought the thread title was vague enough to not have people kick off about it. That's my take.

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's funny when it's dumb and weird stuff, boring when it's a 5 minutes of hate zone

this is also my take.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Because a single word has more than one meaning.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The thread title was TIE

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
So here is where I am at, the bad takes thread can be very funny when it's either birdbrained weirdos or people doing absolutely off the wall bits, but the main point is that you think it is funny to see the post there. It is a place where if you aren't at least sensibly chuckling at a thing posted in it, you are doing it wrong.

I am prepared, and very excited, to enforce that standard if people would like it.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Sometimes a thread has more misses than hits (or looks to have wrung from the comedy stone as much as its going to be able to without having to become the most tedious dumb toxic thing) and for that there is the :gas: button.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

in that case let people post THATB again

good news, that promocode is no longer expired.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

NienNunb posted:

Stick to one normal name. Makes us look bad when we change it to some pun every two months.

I agree.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

yea ok posted:

Would have been nice for the mod that did this crap to say even one word about it here but I suppose that’s too much to ask. Maybe they did in private.

Here is the thing, I don't think Jungle Boy is a good poster and when someone else thinks a post they made was bad, I agreed with that assessment. I agreed with opinions that the posts by NienNunb and Malcom Excellent were also not good.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I mean, that is probably true.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
posting enemies is such a weird thing to me. I just think Jungle Boy is unfunny and assumed they have been trying to be funny.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
That's a question for Stone Cold 64, who seems to have closed the thread of their own volition.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 1, 2022

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
On "good faith" vs. "bad faith" posting and reactions:

Like, I might just being poorly expressing my opinion, but it seems to me like this is posts about AEW. Where are you getting the energy to divine the honesty or integrity of the poster whose post you are reading? It seems exhausting in a way that seems pointless and boring, especially when there is a simpler barometer when you look at a post, did I enjoy it.

I personally, do not feel like I have ever made a good faith post on the forums, because at my core all I am trying to do is making entertaining and good posts. Obviously I do not succeed because I am bad at posting.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm not saying people don't nitpick, but also don't sit there and tell me the opposite doesn't also doesn't happen because it 100% does.

somethingawful forums poster flatluigi did not, in fact, post that.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lamuella posted:

Speaking as someone who basically came back to Something Awful in order to post about AEW in the wrestling forum (yes, I know, devastating self-own) my experience has basically been this:

1) pretty much everything that people have raised as an issue is the case. And that's both the "thread can be cliquey" stuff and the "people are weird about the thread culture" stuff.

2) pretty much everything that people have raised as an issue isn't the end of the world.

the reason both of these things are true and become a problem is because

3) People treat the AEW thread really seriously. Even the people who say we shouldn't take things so seriously and :justpost: in fact maybe especially them.

It means that disagreements grow strongly out of essentially nothing, or things where the faultlines are known and it's not really worth relitigating every few weeks. I'd rattle off a litany of what the stock issues are but anyone who posts in the thread regularly knows what a lot of them are already. People give too much of a poo poo and then get mocked a bit for giving too much of a poo poo (by people who themselves probably give too much of a poo poo).

I don't have a solution, I'm afraid. I don't want the thread to be a hugbox but I don't want it to be a knife fight either. If there's hope from this latest flare up it's that maybe people including myself will stop a bit more and ask "am I being an arsehole right now?".

Yo, I agree with this a whole hell of a lot.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I knew some Viking reenactors who did something like that.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

dromal phrenia posted:

lol that someone spent money on that avatar

they couldn't even find an image of a baby or some famous whiner or anything? but didnt just use text. made an image of text. it's too much effort to be lazy but too lovely to be effort. wtf

It's such a lovely job that I'm kind of sad someone spent money on it, because (to bring back my occasional poor language skills and the LividLiquid avatar buying situation which is completely unrelated to thread culture poo poo) stealing peoples money from av buys that are work safe is not likely to clear the queue.

Like that is what it boils down to, the avatar was work safe, and I asked about it despite having seen other scenarios where that was the barrier to entry for immediately invalidating someones purchase because I was asked to. I was told that it was not bad enough through the appropriate channels, and continued about my day because what are you going to do. This is a comedy website, not a court of law.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
also I don't have a thread culture take for the AEW thread beyond "Lamuella and now Happiness have made good points on it as a topic and CommonShore brings up some actionable things (including stuff I can do to be less garbage)"

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
oh! and as for stickying the general thread, are four stuck threads not too much because they feel too much for me and if they are not that opens some options.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MJeff posted:

Yeah I'm gonna go with "what."

How is this probable at all muchless for 18 hours? The reason given is total gibberish. Did somebody miss the post they were actually aiming for or something?

So, there was a report calling out a joke that spermgod made in the ROH thread as being a dick. At first I looked at it and said, "oh this is a kind of dumb, dickish joke, but it's also its clearly a joke" then I read a post they made 40 minutes later in a different thread (the one quoted) where they are clearly still either thinking the exact same dickish joke is the height of comedy, or they are really just being a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Who is that joke being dickish to? Gresham? Tony Khan?

calling jonathan gresham a geek for not doing something unprofessional is kind of dickish.