Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

J-Ru, I want to ask a big concept question. What's the point of the probation system? I think that's where a lot of frustration comes from. No one ever seems to be clear about the point of the probation system, why we use it, and what we expect it to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Even bigger picture. This is an entirely arbitrary system. The rules we make and the way we enforce them is entirely made up by us. So why do we currently use this system, what do we expect the end results to be, and is it the best one we could use? And I'm asking this because I honestly think no one really stops to think about it. I've heard lots of conflicting ideas about what the point of the system is so I'd like to hear your answer and how you think about it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Just ban them. If I had any faith in this website I could see value in taking about what happened but we will just gently caress it up, people will learn the wrong lessons, and someone will probably get a wild hair up their rear end to do something else lovely because they think it's justified retaliation.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rarity posted:

It was sent anonymously from a burner email, there's no way to know who sent it

J-Ru, I'm sorry for continuing the discussion but I figured people should know why 'just ban them' isn't a workable solution

Thanks for the clarification. Than yeah, not much we can do. Also honestly a clarification that should of been included in J-Ru's update if for no other reason than not explaining what happened leaves people open to piecing together their own story.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

People keep wanting rules because they don't know how to post or something. Don't like the jokes? Tell people they're bad and make better ones. Don't like the topic? Post a new one and talk about that new topic. Stop asking for mod intervention because the posting experience isn't perfectly curated to your taste.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's not as many as you think and those ones you get to wear as a point of pride.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I still really hate that system because it seems to work on the idea that there isn't really anything that goes into being a good mod or IK except being nice and level headed. And that's not true. Lots of very nice people have been mods or IK and ended up wilting under pressure because there is a lot more to it. From the outside looking in I think at it's best the system works despite itself and has a lot of room for improvement. At it's worst it seems lovely and isolating and takes people and tosses them into lovely situations they're not equipped to handle until they gently caress up and make everyone mad, burn out, or get revealed as a petty posting tyrant. Which isn't really anyone on our fight Island mod team, y'all are cool though I think we care more about letter of the law than the spirit of it. But everything about how this website functions is such a mess.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

In all seriousness, a wider ranging look at or criticism of the selection of IKs forums-wide is probably a good thread for QCS, as I'm really, really not the authority to speak on forums wide policys/structures/functions etc. To be specific about F(R)IGHT ISLAND itself though, being nice and level-headed isn't by itself enough to make somebody an IK, but it goes a long way towards making Junpei and I think "well we should probably consider this person", they just kind of naturally come to mind when it's time to make that decision.

As an example: the recent decision to offer karmicknight an IK role came about when Junpei suggested them, I thought it was a good idea, and then a deeper look solidified my read on karmic as an active and engaged poster who makes good threads, and has never really caused problems for anybody before. Brut and Mekchu were chosen because they are active, regular participants in MMA threads and encourage a lot of good posting. Having posters like this around who have access to a couple of extra buttons is pretty beneficial I feel. Before that, I picked CJ2 because they'd demonstrated a real interest in keeping threads on-topic and in line, and given feedback I got in the previous iteration of the feedback thread, I felt that would be helpful as an addition to my own moderation. Unfortunately CJ2, as genuine as the efforts they put in were, found the whole experience pretty miserable and that's not at all what I want the IK experience to be for anybody.

Added it to the top of the OP as a "these are the rules boiled down to their purest form" thing.

Honestly I've tried and I feel like the response every time is that anything else would be too difficult, I care too much, or I'm worried about problems (like someone using their dumb posting crown to abuse the position) that won't happen and couldn't happen (even though they have) so I've stopped bothering. People in charge seem very happy with the system we have and don't seem to want to examine anything about it. So honestly if you think it's a good idea you should go to QCS or the mod forum and pass it up to someone because I've never gotten anywhere.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mekchu posted:

I disagree. Else you'll have people like me who don't reallyw atch pro wrestling going into the pro-wrestling threads constantly going "LOL YOU ARE WATCHING THIS? WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU" etc. ad nauseum and it gets old fast.

That sort of drive by shitposting isn't really accepted in the sports GDT threads I've read (granted that was ages ago), and we don't really jive with it in the MMA threads. We wanna talk about the event, not kpop videos for Red Velvet (who i will say make good gym music).

Like if the theme of the event was "Monster" and you posted that video, then i'd be here saying it was a good post and worth defending because it had something to do with the event.

Just like I'm gonna post a Jay Park music video in the UFC GDT tomorrow since that's related to the event (look up "Brian Ortega Jay Pak" for that specific context)

Dang now I want to do this.

Also I think the only thing I have to add to this current conversation is that I think there is something to letting like, 1 out of 10 things slide. Let people feel like they got away with something now and then, makes them feel good.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I don't totally understand closing it instead of just bouncing that guy but whatever, it was fairly dead anyways. Very funny meltdown.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Orange Carlisle posted:

After an old school meltdown like that a nearly dead thread would probably have to be remade anyway for any hope for actual discussion - it's tough to have anything happen but page after page of dunks and lol's at that point

Fair, the guy is one of the reasons the thread died anyways. No one wants to listen to a dude insist his backyard fight club is totally legal and would actually get in trouble if they did pay and it's cool cause a cop told him it was.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

"poop, please don't show up and beg to be touched"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The biggest difference between c level mma and street beefs is the amount of money the criminals have but I get being bummed out by it. Really couldn't care about the thread.

I don't know what to say about yesterday. Stuff like this is why I ask questions about why we use the prob system and what the philosophy is behind it. If the point of the prob if to teach a lesson it seems the lesson was learned before the prob was needed. If it's to make a problem cool down it seems like everyone was already cool. If it's punitive punishment for the sake of punishment than you did it but what a goofy thing to do. It doesn't hurt to ask yourself why before you push the button. You should have a clear goal in mind.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, like it was a sixer so whatever. It just stands out as another weird incident where I think we stuck to the letter of the rules but no one can really point to how it helped.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I want J-Ru around as a guy who just posts about fake and real fights and I hope not having the millstone around his neck that is mod gets him to post more. Really my hope is that any future mods also just see themselves as people who are just here to post. Being mod should just mean you're the person the community trusts enough to be our bar bouncer and that's it. It's not a crown, it's not a weird title that makes you feel like you can't hang out with everyone else, you're just the poster, preferably one of many, who can say "hey, cool down"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, it will just make people afraid to report stuff that really should be reported. I think spurious reports should just be taken as a reminder that not every report needs to have action. And sometimes they need an action but it's not a probe, it's just a gentle reminder or sending someone a heads up. Sometimes it's even just dropping in a post on a new topic and there goes the thread into the new topic, fight over.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Seth Rollins posted:

A post can only be reported once. Unless it keeps a tally of how many times people try to report it after it’s already been reported but I don’t think it does.

Posted from my iPhone. 🦞🦡🐜🐐🐫🐊🦔

🦞🦡🐜🐐🐫🐊🦔 - this my family now

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It was also a continuation of a weird one sided fight Ichiban seems to think they're in.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This isn't complaining about someone getting a sixer because who cares but making the reason for that sixer "I the mod don't want to read this" is a bad reason to write down.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rarity posted:

I checked the probe and I think you're doing kk a disservice here cause he also called the post "a gross observation" and when I clicked through it was a gross observation and I didn't want to read it either. Like if he'd just written what you quoted it would be bad but the reason as stated is pretty obvious in the intention.

That's why I tried to go pretty soft. Good probe, bad reason, and if it's a good probe you can figure out a better reason.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rarity posted:

But the reason was fine though?

:shrug: I'm giving feedback in the feedback thread. It's easy to say why something is against the rules, that post was, the mod should say that instead of using an I statement.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Every sub is byob for a day would honestly be funny.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I just read that qcs thread lol. Just make threads and tell people to gently caress off if they're being weird

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Please give me a bubble from the people who want a bubble. And then give me a bubble from them. An imp zone for the imp zone.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I just find it very silly to ask for a bubble to protect you from all the "WOKE POSTERS" because you're too scared to :justpost::posthaste:

Make a loving poo poo post thread. Make a horny thread. Be the change you want to see. It's a loving forum just post.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

You're really upset about this aren't you?

I really couldn't give a poo poo. I'll post there. I'll also laugh anytime people who complain about the mods go running for help from the mods.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mods make everything unfunny.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It really doesn't matter if they're a rereg. Whoever they are they suck and being a combative jerk was a bad first impression. The rest was just good reasons as to why I'm not interested in them making a 2nd or 3rd impression.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shine posted:

The first part of that post was an incorrect assumption, as discussed above. Granted I'm on my phone at the moment and not at the admin panel, but as of a few hours ago, they had not reregged.

On a perma at this point, we're simply going to disagree. I've made it clear why I didn't perma them immediately, and I've laid out how I'll address them if they come back and are any level of nuisance, let alone if the bigotry comes back. They have a chance to return and be a better person. If they blow it, then they're not going to be an ongoing problem here.

This isn't a cartoon or a movie so this is very silly. Also if you really think this you can just perma them and they can go and make a new account and post normal and no one will notice or care because we've literally been told that's how it works before.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

EMF is an idiot who's addicted to hot takes. But this probably could of been dealt with either passively, close your eyes and realize you're not a pedo, or aggressively, tell EMF to gently caress off. Passive aggressively was the bad option to pick. Hell you could of tried reporting it since the post didn't really fit the other subs vibe and I thought a point of that sub was to tell people to go away of they're not going to be chill.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rarity posted:

The only perverts in this forum are the Naito fans

abre tus ojos marrones pose

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I've been posting in both and I mostly just forget which thread is where

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Sorry you got niennewb'd

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The Friday forum was in the app. People are so weirdly unchill, just post.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The Fiend

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Is Test Undead?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's funny when it's dumb and weird stuff, boring when it's a 5 minutes of hate zone

Oh spoilers are dumb and thread titles should just be really funny

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The thread titles should start being lies to really throw people off.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm down for telling people to not use the bad takes thread to go off on their own insane rants. I love a good politics rant but try not to post them here because it's not the place for it. I think it's just a question of self-control on both sides. If you can't not hate read the bad takes thread that's on you. Don't read it and learn some self control. If you can't stop being mad at certain topics that's on you. Close your eyes, scroll to the end, and :justpost: :posthaste: and 99% of the time people just move into the new topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

yea ok posted:

Yeah that’s always my feelings about it but then you get your knuckles rapped(wrapped? dunno the word) for not caring enough about serious societal issues. (Online wrestling forum btw)

Yeah that chiding is dumb as gently caress but seriously just post around it. Make good posts and ignore the bad ones because lmao at trying to make rules to teach grown adults to not post bad.

If people really do need a "wrestling and politics" thread I guess we could make one or put it in cspam? I honestly think cspam had one at one point.