Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system are you buying this shitheap on
PC
Playstation 4/5
whatever XBox is calling their poo poo now
WiiU
View Results

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm kind of surprised at the regression from MW2019 for this. I know it's different devs and different feel, but it seemed like they had a real good thing going with MW2019's weapon handling and the general punchiness of the weapons, while CW is going back to more like nerf guns with louder shots. I guess that's the ~brand~, but idk if that is what people really want anymore with so many games filling the same niche.

i mean, the development is mostly led by sledgehammer games, right? or at least it was. this is more a sequel to cod WW2, not MW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

drkeiscool posted:

i mean, the development is mostly led by sledgehammer games, right? or at least it was. this is more a sequel to cod WW2, not MW.

Wait, I thought this was a Treyarch year or am I being tripped up by the Black Ops name?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Unlucky7 posted:

Wait, I thought this was a Treyarch year or am I being tripped up by the Black Ops name?

treyarch was brought in to assist, but they did blops 4 in 2018

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm kind of surprised at the regression from MW2019 for this. I know it's different devs and different feel, but it seemed like they had a real good thing going with MW2019's weapon handling and the general punchiness of the weapons, while CW is going back to more like nerf guns with louder shots. I guess that's the ~brand~, but idk if that is what people really want anymore with so many games filling the same niche.

It's funny because I agree almost completely that almost every aspect of CW is a step back, yet I really like the 6v6 / combined arms modes over the MW core modes. MW gunfeel is absolutely the best the series has been but IMO the TTK has always felt a bit too fast with the meta guns. CW is more of a sweet spot that way, at least for me. Very glad WZ is staying on the MW engine though.

It definitely needs work though. Many issues already mentioned, and something is wrong with the aim assist on controllers. Hard to describe but it feels like in certain situations you are have to fight it despite running a high sens. Hard agree that the scorestreak system is trash too.

One thing they did right is bring suppressors back to reducing damage range as the tradeoff for not being on the radar. MW made the monolithic a must have on nearly every single gun.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 18, 2020

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Sledgehammer was working with Raven on this but Sledgehammer had a falling out so Activision swapped them with Treyarch mid way.

This game is a hot mess with shorter dev time than usual plus they have to deliver a cross gen experience.

As long as it has nuke town we’re good though

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

McLarenF1 posted:

I (PSN: SirAnkie) and Waroduce plus two other friends won two games of Dirty Bomb tonight. If you have a squad with purpose built classes that communicates it's pretty fun.

Ninja really helps with sound.

I can't stand Combined Arms, its nothing but snipers.

Agreed. Snipers should only be one shot with a head shot.

Tried to join y’all but I wasn’t able to start a game. Not sure if lobbies were broken or maybe I didn’t understand it. Dirty bomb is fun when people are coordinating and still fun when your team is awful; I just tooled around on my bike looking for kill streak drops

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Having multiple devs work on different baselines for the same game is a loving stupid idea

I have zero interest in continuing on to a game that relives mistakes the previous one already addressed

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have a feeling activision is waiting until after Cold War’s launch to announce a next gen patch for mw2019.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Good lord this one just feels off, like, whoa.

It just feels rushed, I'd say "lazy" but from what I'm reading about Sledgehammer and all that poo poo, I think it's more just a shortened dev cycle leading to a really bad rush job.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Which is lame because MW clearly had the ability at launch to be a two year game. Give it a first anniversary refresh with some kind of super patch to shake things up a bit, battle passes aren't quite enough and the FOMO grinds you down.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Carecat posted:

Which is lame because MW clearly had the ability at launch to be a two year game. Give it a first anniversary refresh with some kind of super patch to shake things up a bit, battle passes aren't quite enough and the FOMO grinds you down.

Yeah but that would mean that they don't release a call of duty game one year, and that's just not ok.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Does this game use the same ballistics model that MW used or is it back to lovely hitscan?

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Hasn't that been the thing with COD for ages though? The IW and Treyarch games always feel different.

The TTK is way lower, shotguns feel like poo poo, the sound is worse. Feels like a Black Ops game to me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

buttchugging adderall posted:

Yeah but that would mean that they don't release a call of duty game one year, and that's just not ok.

use the first anniversary as an opportunity for a large content drop in a paid DLC expansion, drop the price on the original SKU by the amount the DLC costs, introduce a new $60 SKU that's the game plus expansion

voila

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

use the first anniversary as an opportunity for a large content drop in a paid DLC expansion, drop the price on the original SKU by the amount the DLC costs, introduce a new $60 SKU that's the game plus expansion

voila

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I may buy this only because I want to play zombies. But I'll just have to see once my PS5 arrives on launch day :agesilaus:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Black Ops Cold War just doesn't have the Treyarch secret sauce. It's not bad, but there's nothing here that makes me want to keep playing like BO3 and even BO4 did. The maps and the gunplay are just okay, while the scorestreak changes are a regression. The movement feels off. That broken slide is the monkey's paw curling for all the people who've complained about jumpshots in modern CoD. The last CoD I felt this indifferent about was Infinite Warfare, which also had a compressed dev cycle.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Shocked by all the MW MP love as that was probably the most non-cod feeling MP not counting WW series.

Snipers are bonkers OP, shotguns are great for secondaries in my few hours of using them.

Is the "super slow reloading while ADS" a new thing or has it been in the series I just never noticed? It's awful.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

slap some groucho mustaches on all the operators and call it mw2019:2 without changing a thing and id rather pay another $60 for that than a blops

tjones
May 13, 2005

faantastic posted:

Shocked by all the MW MP love as that was probably the most non-cod feeling MP not counting WW series.

All the issues with MW were game design decisions that could have easily been changed for a BO game. Tactical sprint, dead silence, maps, etc. The game engine, movement, gun feel were all praised in my group. It was what COD needed to keep it fresh, IMO.

Everyone I've talked to who doesn't like the CW beta has issues with the game engine / game feel. Most notably, it feels like BO4 with a fast TTK. The movement is floaty. The gunfeel isn't as responsive as MW. The aiming feels stiff. Nothing is as fluid or tight and responsive feeling as it was in MW. Not surprisingly, everyone who I've talked to who hate the game also hated BO4, including myself.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

you missed my point.

to anyone sane with eyes, this is "not releasing a Call of Duty game one year." however, corporations do not work this way. Activision, specifically, has bullshat their shareholders this way already in the very recent past: Overwatch 2 isn't actually a new game, it's a big paid DLC for Overwatch that's being packaged as a new SKU.

releasing a new Call of Duty game doesn't mean they have to actually make a new Call of Duty game, because they can just repackage a large DLC as a new SKU for the one that's already out and give it some fancy name like "Modern Warfare Year Two," and treat it as a separate product in their financials even though everyone knows drat well it's just DLC for last year's game.

e: like, that reply would make sense if Activision wasn't already doing this at one of their other studios

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 18, 2020

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Skyarb posted:

Does this game use the same ballistics model that MW used or is it back to lovely hitscan?

I haven't found solid info online of whether it's using ballistics or hitscan. I want to say it feels the same as black ops 4, which was hitscan in regular multiplayer and used ballistics for blackout - the sniper rifles feel like they're hitscan in regular MP and don't seem to have bullet drop.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
can i get a pm or the discord dropped here?

also I am LFG for the rest of the evenning on PSN: Waroduce

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
This is the first COD I have played since the 1st modern warfare all those years ago, I can honestly say I am getting called the same names in chat as all those years ago. 1st game I got called the N word 4 times!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Skyarb posted:

I don't feel like I had any slow projectile misses like you see with MW2019, so I want to say that it's hitscan. Or if not it's close enough to not make a difference.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

How do I get/redeem the tier rewards for playing beta? Got to level 10 but haven't received anything in Warzone.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Tier skips will be redeemed by a MOTD within a week after the end of beta.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."

Flaggy posted:

This is the first COD I have played since the 1st modern warfare all those years ago, I can honestly say I am getting called the same names in chat as all those years ago. 1st game I got called the N word 4 times!

You just described all online games that allow a mic. I don’t think anything has it will change in that department and won’t ever change.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'm not surprised based on the Alpha footage but god drat this is a step backwards from MW2019 in almost every possible way

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I haven't found solid info online of whether it's using ballistics or hitscan. I want to say it feels the same as black ops 4, which was hitscan in regular multiplayer and used ballistics for blackout - the sniper rifles feel like they're hitscan in regular MP and don't seem to have bullet drop.

Gross. Why would they revert it so bad. I guess quickscoping can stay king forever.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Skyarb posted:

Gross. Why would they revert it so bad. I guess quickscoping can stay king forever.

I mean quickscoping is a tracked stat in MW so I don't see why you would think otherwise

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

wrong thread

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I really like Dirty Bomb.

We played it alot, and we won alot. I want to say we finished first in something like 6 matches, top 3-5 in most of them and I can count the number of losses on like 1 hand. If i was pressed for stats I'd say something like 6 wins, 5 or so Top5's and a total of like maybe 17 games played.

I stacked into Dirty Bomb with SirAnkie, Goonspiricist and a few other random assorted goons, shout out OrbitalHybrid, VforVegans and any other goons I missed. We actually ended doing up really really well after the first few games and I think we got a handle on ~the meta~

Below is based on the beta and subject to change.

Mechanics of Dirty Bomb

1. The first team to 500 points wins. There are only two ways to get points, depositing Uranium and Detonating bombs. Kills drop Uranium (even if the guy is empty, you get one) however gathered Uranium must be deposited.

3. Detonating a bomb yields 50 points. Filling up a bomb in total requires 20 pieces of Uranium and yields 20 points (I think). Filling up two points is almost as good as detonating 1 bomb.

3. Uranium is carried by each player. Each can by default carry 5. Uranium Pouches (and Armor Pouches) are found in chests scattered through the woods or in buildings. Your squad can deposit and detonate if everyone is carrying 5.

4. Only one person can deposit at a time. Do not crowd the bomb and wipe due to grenades. People should be pulling area security.

5. Any team can deposit in any bomb. Any bomb can be detonated by any team. This is very important to understand. People will ninja your poo poo.

6. Squad wiping causes a 20 second revive timer for EVERYONE even if you only had 1 second left on your personal and will sometimes re-drop you in a new area, essentially removing you from the running for whatever bomb you were previously working. It is very beneficial to have one play with a battle rifle or sniper and scope to essentially play mobile spawn point and overwatch as the others loot/gunfight. (Shout out Goonspiricists M14 or whatever the knock off of that is in this game)

Gameplay

We had the most success dropping to one of the two points that are a bit separated from the bunch. Choosing the furthest isn't a bad idea, the idea being to drop far, drop in the treeline around the point, murder anyone who decided to come with you, and than loot in the tree's for killstreaks and Uranium and immediately deposit and detonate ASAP. It's actually fairly safe, getting a squad kill off the break is really easy and typically you can hop into a vehicle for a little loot and scoot in the trees. We had multiple games where we were sitting right between 50 and 100 points, clearly in first place within the first 3 mins just from looting and detonating. About 50/50 on immediately rolling to another point that hasn't even been touched.

It is absolutely critical to get a detonation off the start or within the second round or the match degenerates into chaos to consistently make a comeback imo.

After detonation (at any point in the game), a decision must be made. Depending on the timing of the other detonations you can now rotate into another point to deposit and potentially ninja a detonation OR the time may be best spent gathering Uranium for the next point. Only one team can detonate a bomb, and when the match gets down to 2/6 bombs left, most people are fighting over the last two points. This gives you a great opportunity to jack a vehicle, rotate into another point or hang around where you just detonated, get a 5 stack of uranium on everyone and immediately deposit and detonate when the points refresh. The trick being to live long enough for the bombs to come back online. Bombs spawn in the same general area, although there seems to be 3 or 4 different specific locations that will happen i.e. - Point D is always near like the hanger, but it can be either in the hanger, in a cabin, or in the middle of the street.

You can win by playing smash and grab or loot and scoot style by either just filling up all the bombs and not fighting for the detonation points if it's too hotly contested, or by murdering everyone and detonating a bomb someone else filled, however if a coordinated team is using the strategy above, (quick detonate off break, gather, quick detonate off new bomb points depending on spawns) it will be very difficult to keep pace to win. A blend is probably best as we had several games where we got only a single detonation, but managed to fill a bunch of bombs and still ended up top 3-5.

A real key to reading spawns and danger on the map is pausing, and hitting R1 to bring up the map. When 4 or 5 of the six points have been detonated EVERYONE will be around the last one. Keep that direction in mind as where the danger comes from.

Tips:

- Don't ever drop directly on a point. Alot of newbies and pubbies do this and you can get alot of free kills and walk out of the first 30 seconds of a game with a bunch of uranium from murdering people from the treeline.

-Gunplay -> I'm a big fan of silencer, ex mags and the x1.75 (minimum) scope. You can go higher if you like but i dislike the tunnel vision and loss of area awareness, especially in this game mode. The silencer is really nice as it really fucks with peoples ability to know where you are and the ex mags are necessary if you want to be able to down more than one person per magazine. There is armor, if you want to down 2-3 people you need the ex mags.

- Most fights occur mid to long range, with a smattering of murdering people in rooms if the point is inside, but the vast majority of your time will be mid range gunbattles.

- I did not find launchers generally necessary despite the occasional helicopter.

- I found shotguns too difficult to use and i main a shotgun in normal multiplayer. The armor increases the TTK too much and you eat a mag dump of bullets to the face imo. I might be wrong or just bad with shottys.

- I like taking Ghost since UAVs are pretty common

- Scavenger doesn't do anything. No one drops ammo, there is no ammo in boxes. Take Ex mags. Hopefully changed at launch.

Classes/Perks/Equipment

I found it useful to have two distinct classes set up for this, one being my fighting/farming kit and the other specc'd out like a dom or hardpoint build.

- Gunfighting -> I ran perk greed with Ghost, Quartermaster, Ninja, Flakjacket and High Alert. Tracker too which was nice when you're clearing buildings for some extra area awareness. Do whatever you want to get you kills, but man UAV's are real common out of the loot boxes it feels like so hard recommend on ghost.

- Quartermaster is nice since it refills equipment

- Det Build -> I built this class specifically to hold a point and get a bomb detonation off. Perk Greed isn't bad but you are going to want flak jacket, and cold blooded (god drat turrets and choppers). Trophy Systems and Smoke Grenades are the real winners here as you prevent one well placed grenade from wiping out all your work and progress. Smokes are also very helpful for getting a det off as they offer cover on demand. Once someone starts detonating, toss a trophy next to em and a smoke on em and profit.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxl4PPh_4ks

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
this stupid game better not screw up warzone

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

faantastic posted:

Is the "super slow reloading while ADS" a new thing or has it been in the series I just never noticed? It's awful.

Wasn't MW2K19 the first game to even have reloading while ADS? And no, I don't think it's any slower if you do.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Snazzy Frocks posted:

this stupid game better not screw up warzone

I keep worrying about how warzone will change. I’m currently grinding the MW battle pass to try and get the item that lets me play bangarang from my car while driving around the warzone, and I better get to keep that in the future.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's been made pretty clear that black ops is essentially just going to manifest as cold war themed content for Warzone.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Some info came out yesterday that indicates the CW WZ stuff won't even be at launch, it will be at the start of CW S1 on dec 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Crustashio posted:

Some info came out yesterday that indicates the CW WZ stuff won't even be at launch, it will be at the start of CW S1 on dec 1st.
I Guarantee the reason they've been so tight lipped about it is because they know there's a large chunk of people that will buy cold war assuming it will be necessary to progress in Warzone.