Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Since our parents seem to want an athletic child, lets be a Painter just to piss them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
I dunno about mainlaind Chinese parents but the meme over on this side of the pond is that you'd better be able to play piano or violin (preferably both) to make you smarter, more well tempered, and potentially famous world wide should you turn out to the next Yo Yo Ma.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

dotchan posted:

I dunno about mainlaind Chinese parents but the meme over on this side of the pond is that you'd better be able to play piano or violin (preferably both) to make you smarter, more well tempered, and potentially famous world wide should you turn out to the next Yo Yo Ma.

Well that just makes me want us to learn Bicycle Riding instead.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
What you think you're Yao Ming? There's no money in sports, you get a real job!

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Let's go with learning the piano.

Viga_TCB
Dec 12, 2018

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Elliot is already learning how to say Vore and Tubgirl. We've failed him.

He is making fart noises in that picture - I would say that is not as good as learning vore and tubgirl.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Wikipedia's explanation

If someone can translate what Elliot is saying instead, I'm very interested to know.

Eliot is just repeating the first verse of the Three Character Classic - so no meme here.

Personally back when I was a kid, if some other kid had to learn a "talent," they would go for piano - not sure why, but probably a combination of being able to flex about being able to afford such education and that piano is more classy? My family did not go that route though, so I never asked why. I personally would go for Piano as well

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The messes shall pay respect to lord Eliot while he plays his piano.

Viga_TCB posted:

He is making fart noises in that picture - I would say that is not as good as learning vore and tubgirl.
He's beatboxing.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Viga_TCB posted:

Eliot is just repeating the first verse of the Three Character Classic - so no meme here.

Boo, I didn't look closely enough and thought they were different characters. Also that Neighbor Wang revelation last page was amazing, thank you.

Viga_TCB
Dec 12, 2018

Nyaa posted:

The messes shall pay respect to lord Eliot while he plays his piano.

He's beatboxing.

I did not think of that then but now I see it. Your interpretation is more believable.

Viga_TCB fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 3, 2020

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

let's go to art school and disappoint our parents. learn to paint.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
We're going to be a keyboard player in a legendary rock band, so let's learn piano!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Piano is the most Asian pick of the lot.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've seen enough, I'm calling it. Seven votes for learning the Piano! If I get frisky there could be an update tonight but more likely it'll be tomorrow.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Update 003 - It's time to d-d-d-d-d-d-d-duel!

We're back to our kick rear end kindergarten room, and last time we earned a new trait!

Now we can finally learn what they do and how to use them.

Face Duels last five turns; every turn you will choose one of three traits. The order is determined on this screen. Turn one will give us Rolling Maneuvers, Rhythm Control, and Quick Steps. Turn two we'll have whichever two traits we didn't choose in the first turn as well as Language Buff. This screen will only ever show nine of your traits, chosen at random. You will have one chance to reroll the order.

However you can't reroll the order if you don't have 10+ traits! We're stuck with what we get.

The numbers listed next to the thumbs up is how much damage that trait will do in the duel.

Mom's distant cousin has come to visit, and immediately starts making GBS threads on her. This taunt luckily only does 5 damage.

Once we run out of traits, we can only choose Helpless, which does zero damage.

You don't have to take the enemy down to zero HP, just take them lower than Mom. I believe the amount of Face you get is the difference in HP but if you do reduce them to zero, you get a lot more.

Face Duels and Traits are both linked together and the only thing that uses either of them otherwise are rewards from dad. We'll see those in a bit.

After doing what little studying we can as 3 year old, Elliot learns to Be Patient. People like when you're patient with them!

Still not a lot of options, just fishing for some more Traits at this point.

Granny and Elliot dish out some street justice on their stroll.

Dad is pragmatic still.

We're getting to the point where we actually have to start learning and studying real things besides rolling around and mashing a piano. Life's about to get much harder,

This is how we "spend" Face, though we don't actually subtract from our total. We just need whatever amount the request needs to have a chance to get it. Most of them are stress relief entertainment; in the last section of the game there's one that's almost required with how good it is.

I must've missed it but we earned another trait, Language Buff, from Learning To Speak. Common traits are garbage compared to Epic or Legendary ones. Even Rare isn't that great but we need everything we can get right now.

As we're still in kindergarten we don't take any actual tests yet, instead getting something like this. I've never seen a kid not get +80 Knowledge.

Off we go!

Some very good stat gains from these events!

Key schools are the top schools in an area that you have to earn your way in to. Getting in or not doesn't actually change anything but you do earn the reward if you make it. We're a bit far off from the goal of 500 EQ but it's not entirely out of the question.

Another year older!

Our good memories of our friend are entirely wiped out when we crawl around under the dinner table. Being a child is hard.

Now I'm no expert but I don't know many people who leave their 5 year olds home alone, much less expecting them to eat their own dinner unsupervised. Nor do I know anyone who would let their own child bring their dinner to a friend's house, alone, to share.

Maybe I'm just out of touch.

We have something else to keep track of now, Stress and Satisfaction! The general idea is to keep stress low and parental satisfaction high. This is mostly done through studies and entertainment but some events can mess with it as well.

The slide at school is way better than the one in our community. It gives Con, AP, AND reduces stress!

When parental satisfaction reaches a certain point (sometimes when it maxes out, sometimes a little lower it seems) then you get a reward from Mom. Extra action, your Mind Shadow goes down, and you can request something from Dad. You also can randomly gain things like Brave, Resolute, etc. They're positive effects that influence what classmates think of you later. Getting too much stress will do the opposite, increasing your Mind Shadow and giving negative effects.

I found out that if your Mind Shadow maxes out, the game is over and you continue to the next generation with a new baby. I haven't actually seen it happen yet so maybe one of our generations will be less than ideal.

+10 to every stat? Hell yeah I'll take that.

Phonetics is the English language skill, a companion to Chinese language.

I spend a little bit of knowledge to learn Delayed Gratification and Pinyin, so we're not completely behind in life. Mom is a big fan of this.

Learning Pinyin also nudged us just over the goal for a Key Elementary School! Generally, you want to Complete goals after you've done your studies for the day because a lot of them give you AP back. You can go back to studying at any time during the turn as long as you have enough AP.

We're helping!

Delayed Gratification is very nice at this stage. Helps out three stats and increases satisfaction though it does stress Elliot a bit. That's what the slide is for though!

Free stress reduction!

Dad why are you like this :negative:

Based off context clues from earlier, I'm guessing this is a repeat of the "If you eat three pieces of candy now you can have four later!" text.

We're getting the chance to learn more and more. The last two skills will be important on tests.

Here's a slightly weird thing that pops up every so often, a talent show! This is actually the only other thing that uses Talents.

The "??" next to the talents is how good they are in the show; once you use a talent in the show the number will appear in all future shows for other generations.

I pick the rarest talent we have, rolling around like an idiot.

The translation and localization in this section gets really spotty. Sometimes the names and traits don't match up later on.

Like here, is it Sean Shao or Shao Zi? Whoever it is, they got second place.

gently caress you Dan Dan, no one wants to hear your poetry!

I don't think this actually does anything. In my other game, I just choose whichever trait has the highest number and I get 1st place most of the time. I'll be honest, I forget what the rewards are but it's probably Knowledge.

I forgot to snag a picture of the actual icon but here's a result of finding a Reveal Node! Everything is unlocked for 18 AP, a stone cold bargain. This is also the best time to use the glowing sphere nodes, as they collect all the corresponding color nodes at the same time. Our Mind Map is growing handily, as well!

Finally, we are well on our way to being a virtuoso.

I take the opportunity to pester dad for an Electric Piano, which he gladly coughs up.

Both of these are good in their own ways. I load up our schedule, we're gonna be the very best!

Playin' our way to school.

C'mon Elliot, stop embarassing us.

Someone took too many downers.

Somehow, Elliot got stupider when he released he had more school to go to.

I don't know what the hell the teacher is talking about, who brushes one single tooth at a time?

Being a motorist doesn't pay much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYGEkriNcJo
Shop, At The Fair - The Green Orbs

The top row has three stress relieving items, as well as one to increase satisfaction. You can only buy the last item once, and up to two stress reduction items per turn.

The rest teach new skills or entertainment.

The new skills we can buy will unlock Professions. I suppose now is as good a time as any to explain!

Each of the different professions have requirements to unlock, usually bought from the store or just unlocked in time. They all have different levels, leading to higher pay but also higher stat requirement. For example, the Ordinary career has Massage Technician, which pays $14 a turn and requires middling stat scores. $14 a turn is worse than being a Motorist, which has generally higher stat requirements though they're in different stats.

There is a guide out there with the required stats for each career but it's incomplete and who wants to game the system like that anyway? We're gonna choose a career and try to do our best!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMorkEAKgYo
Age 7 Male, Unknown song title

We're running a bit behind on our development, as we put all our time in trying to learn the piano. If we don't work on our studies, we'll start doing badly on tests and lose Face. We can't lose the game even if we fail every single test but we'll disappoint our poor mom!

Some of the studies are more involved than others, like Liberal Arts compared to the rest. Professions, once we unlock them, will also appear like this. Some are longer than others there as well.

--------------------------------------------------

So! We need to decide what Elliot is going to do when he gets older. Remember also that we might want to concentrate on schoolwork to gain Face and get higher skills, since learning each one gives us a one time bonus.

Here is the list of careers, it's kinda long:

2D Anime Artist
3D Anime Artist
Art
Broadcast
Business
Business comic
Chinese Cuisine
Computer
Doujin Manga
E-Sports
Game Developer
Host
Idol Show Agent
Justice
Literature
Logistics
Make-up
Math
Ninja
Online Celebrity
Ordinary
Physics
Seller
Singer
Sports
Star
Western Cuisine
White Collar

The voting here might get a little messy, since we can only choose one career in the end. We also won't have access to all of them for a bit, and I'm not going to say when they unlock until they do, so neener.

Please VOTE for which career we want Elliot to aim for. If we end up with a tie, I'll re-issue the vote with the top three or whatever, so we can narrow it down. Gonna let this update cool for a bit to make sure everyone gets their vote in, since it's pretty important! Next update probably will be next week sometime.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Online Celebrity. Obviously.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Does Justice means Judge? JUDGE ELLIOT

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Broadcast. We'll be the hippest and hoppest thing on the airwaves and TVs and whatnot, with our good musical taste and something personality.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nyaa posted:

Does Justice means Judge? JUDGE ELLIOT

Hmm... does the thread want spoilers on careers, or just want to pick as they are? Explaining them could ruin some of the magic on a few.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Hmm... does the thread want spoilers on careers, or just want to pick as they are? Explaining them could ruin some of the magic on a few.
Don't spoil it.

Ratoslov posted:

Online Celebrity. Obviously.
Agreed. Let's go viral. Online Celebrity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omuYi2Vhgjo

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

What kind of parenting game is this if you can't even force your child to be a doctor? :crossarms:

And what is Ordinary supposed to be? Are we just going to be stocking shelves for the rest of our life? gently caress it, I want to know.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Aesculus posted:

What kind of parenting game is this if you can't even force your child to be a doctor? :crossarms:

And what is Ordinary supposed to be? Are we just going to be stocking shelves for the rest of our life? gently caress it, I want to know.

I mentioned a couple of them from Ordinary, Motorist and Massage Technician.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
2d Manhua Artist obviously.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The slide at school is way better than the one in our community. It gives Con, AP, AND reduces stress!

The community slide is actually better, Dad just won't let us use it without a reward cause he's kind of a jerk.

Iron Chef Elliot

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 23, 2021

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

This game owns, glad to see it. Let's become an Online Celebrity!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
No child of mine will an online celebrity, we're gonna be a Doctor!. Even if it kills us.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
We're already doing a music career so Singer, obviously.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Justice.

It's desperately needed.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What, did no one see Ninja, right there?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Guildenstern Mother posted:

No child of mine will an online celebrity, we're gonna be a Doctor!. Even if it kills us.

A doctor of what, though?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Admiral Joeslop posted:

A doctor of what, though?

Butts

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
Follow the dreams Dad had at 13, kid, become a ninja.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
2d Manga Artist goony Elliot

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Quackles posted:

What, did no one see Ninja, right there?

This.

I've been playing this for a while (3 generations). I can see becoming repetitive after a few runs, but so far it's pretty fun and even tense. I was feeling actually anxious as the exam date approached.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
When I played this it was not in English yet, and I was not good at Chinese.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
It will probably turn out to be a dud choice but letīs go with Ninja

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Omniphile posted:

Follow the dreams Dad had at 13, kid, become a ninja.

Ninja is my vote as well.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Sylphosaurus posted:

It will probably turn out to be a dud choice but letīs go with Ninja

I'm going with this too because I think that it will be much harder to find job security as a ninja the further we go. Might as well start out as the family Ninja and train our children!

nabo
Oct 23, 2010
Ninja :bandwagon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'll also say Ninja because it'll make future generations intrinsically hilarious, methinks.