Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011
Gotta go with Ninja

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Online Celebrity. Born in just the right time to ride the vtuber wave.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Changing my vote to Online Celebrity. Let's put our future in the hands of the Internet, that never goes wrong!

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Ninja is so much more of an out-there choice than I can’t not choose it to see what’s up with that.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
give us the ninja

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Dr. McNinja

benjoyce
Aug 3, 2007
Swashbuckler from Meleé island
Minority vote: Game developer!

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Ninja just because

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Oh man how did I not find this thread until just now?

Online Celebrity.

艾略特, 加油!

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I have to go with Online Celebrity and the rest of you should too, because the gooniest possible choice would be for us to raise the next Pangzai.

https://twitter.com/hebeipangzai/status/1304835797133135873

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbeDTcF6YI8

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Wowie, it was almost a close vote! Ninja came away with 13 votes to Online Celebrity's 8. We just have to wait for the profession item to unlock in the shop, so until then I'll work on our Constitution and school skills. I hope to have the update tomorrow!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Update 004 - Do Ninjas Need School? A Study.

Elliot's face mirrors those of most six year olds in school, I feel pangs of sympathy.

Also I got a new 1440p monitor and forgot to change the resolution of the game before I played through, so some of the screenshots may not be as crisp as usual, sorry! I've changed resolutions for next time though oddly they didn't have 1440p as an option.

Oh and I didn't go through and edit event/action boxes down; please let me know if everything is too small to read now and I'll go back to the old way, just trying to save myself some extra work!

This is just an excuse for dad to send us to get groceries. I know your tricks, old man.

Our work options are pretty limited at our age. I've literally never heard of a six year old being sent to buy groceries though. My mom didn't send me on my bike to the store until I was at least 12.

The way it works is that we spend energy to get money; it says four coins but I've never seen the game actually give the minimum like that.

Working isn't interactive, we just get a neat animation of Elliot hanging around, and sometimes on fire while he uh.. buys groceries really fast? The fire animation also gives us a big Drive bonus, increasing our pay.

Instead of four coins, we earned twelve! I assume we knocked over some poor old woman for her grocery money.

Mom's old rich classmate shows up to snub her nose at Elliot and Mom.

We show her what the gently caress is up, Moneybags!

Despite our victory, Dad refuses to buy us a ticket to the Anime Theme Park :argh:

Instead, we start our Ninja training in earnest. The best Ninjas have to have a strong body.

Ninjas are kind to innocent creatures.

Ninjas must always be vigilant.

Dad is not cut out for the Ninja life.

I'll be honest, I completely forgot about this goal. So now we'll work towards patrolling the house for evildoers.

Now we've unlocked Face Challenges, which are Face Duels but way harder at first.

Face Challenges are serious business.

Art Examinee A: Who might it be, the person of such caliber?

Art Examinee B: He never told me. But considering his wonderful technique, I believe it to be Fitzgerald of the Poplar Community.

Jesus, we're supposed to Face Duel the mother of a literal painting god? This might not go well. We can't do the duel yet, as we need at least 1,000 Imagination to start it. As well, if we had any traits based around Art, they would do zero damage in the duel. Luckily, we don't have any!

We do a bit more studying, and finally have our first real grades! We've been studying pretty hard I feel, so we should probably do pretty good. Ninjas need smarts and an education, right?

Oh. Maybe we'll just be the criminal type of Ninja..

Jealousy does not befit a Ninja but defying those in power and practicing our dexterity are very important.

Alas, our ability to vanish without a trace needs a lot more practice. Elliot will remember this.

Our guard work is concluded; we have made our home safe.

Elliot please don't clean the counters with fire, even if it got you 23 coins.

We gotta get those test scores up while training our body. School work and swimming, with some shame to me when I realize I screenshotted too early and missed what Mom and Dad said.

I also have no idea what Reading & Writing has to do with cooking, you don't have to be able to read!

New trait! We'll need it for our Face Challenge.

Losing enough stress removes Mind Shadow and gives an Action Point bonus, it's pretty neat.

My screenshot taking is all over the place this update :negative:

We need to train but also need to spend time on our mental health.

I'm not really sure why Mom is mad at Elliot, her Satisfaction went down but I didn't see an event besides Detention earlier that lowered it.

That's right, Elliot does eventually have to take an actual test. Not a literal test, it's also a game!

The stat icons at the bottom all start at 1; when you get three 1s together, they blob up and become a 2. If you get three 2s together, they become a 3, and so on. When you click on one of the icons, it takes two Action Points away and deletes that icon, bringing in a new one from the far right. The goal is to get matching numbers and colors for a question, to earn knowledge. We can also refresh for a New Exam once, in case we're stuck or have bad options.

Clicking two yellow and a purple gets us a 2 green, then we just click some more until another 1 green appears. We then Solve it for a cool +20 knowledge.

When you Solve a question, the icons it required are used up so you can't double dip. If you get lucky, this can lead to a lot of knowledge, more than you would get from the mind map game.

We don't get a test score or anything, it's just a different way to get Knowledge. And what is Knowledge, class?

Remember the god of art's mother? We have enough Imagination to challenge her, and we're gonna!

Mom got absolutely bodied, it wasn't even close. We'll have to try again later when we have more traits.

Now I don't know if this is accurate, legally, but the game doesn't seem to mind literal 8 year olds buying lottery tickets. They cost 40 yuen (I finally looked up the name of money in China) and you can win up to 400 back depending on how many numbers you match. There's no reason besides lack of funds to not always play the lottery.

Dad you couldn't even handle basic math, what are you going on about?

Our soft flabby body is nowhere near good enough yet.

A Ninja is compassionate for those with less, and also sometimes forgetful about money.

Hard work really pays off, even with Dad giving us the wrong math answers. Ninjas aren't really supposed to be famous though, no one should know you're a Ninja!

Our hard work at the lottery doesn't work out, 40 yuen down the drain.

We hide Elliot's new gambling addiction by buying Mom a Greeting Card. She doesn't suspect a thing.

Gotta go fast!

Elliot's gambling addiction is spreading to school already, this might be a problem.

Elliot is much too smart to fall for such a scam. No the lottery isn't a scam shut up.

Elliot needs to work harder on his Memory if he wants to get into a good High School but... does he really want to? What importance is school to a Ninja?

I would be very impressed by an 8 year old leading a tour group. I bet some rear end in a top hat would try to show them up and get shut down immediately.

Finally, our luck is coming up! We won our money back and nothing more but I can feel a big win just around the corner!

Elliot reaches double digits. He'll always be our special Elliot, gently caress that other kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-GbUj3mwpY
Age 10 Male, Claudio the Worm - The Green Orbs

We're finally cool enough to look relaxed and aloof, a life long dream. Our study routes are coming along nicely but they're about to get much, much harder.

--------------------------------------------------

For the next leg of Elliot's life, please VOTE on whether we should concentrate on SCHOOL WORK or CONSTITUTION to be the best Ninja we can be. We're still flabby and untrained and haven't even reached the point of Ninja tryouts.

Will Elliot be a disappointment to his parents while following his dreams, or will he please them while making his dream into a hobby?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

CONSTITUTION

There's plenty of dumb ninjas, but have you ever seen one out of shape?

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
SCHOOL WORK

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I vote for School Work. Ninjas need to study, too.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
School. He will be Batman.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Nyaa posted:

School. He will be Batman.

+1 Always go the Batman route if it's ever an option.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 23, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Jeoh posted:

CONSTITUTION

There's plenty of dumb ninjas, but have you ever seen one out of shape?

School Work

You're right, I haven't seen an out of shape Ninja, therefor, they must be the best Ninjas.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Veryslightlymad posted:

School Work

You're right, I haven't seen an out of shape Ninja, therefor, they must be the best Ninjas.
:hmmyes:

Schoolwork!

benjoyce
Aug 3, 2007
Swashbuckler from Meleé island
Constitution. (Also, communism.)

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

benjoyce posted:

Constitution. (Also, communism.)

Gonna say school work for now since we don't even have our ninja gear yet.

Maybe we should join the basketball team or something though on the side.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Update 005 - gently caress you, Dad

Hello! For those of you with bad memory like myself, we're raising Elliot to be the best Ninja he can, eventually.

Funny story about that; I've been waiting this whole time for a Ninja Headband to appear in the shop. I finally looked it up because it felt like this was taking too long and it turns out they appear starting at 36 turns remaining, and we're on 29 turns remaining! So I experimented by buying some items, then reloading the shop and pow, a Ninja Headband appeared. Now I didn't actually try this until I'd done the entire update so it won't be until NEXT time that we can (potentially!) begin our Ninja training but now we know.

Before all that, we ask Dad for a Nindoten! After three "pweeeeease?" he relents and we have one of the better entertainments available!

As a dutiful child, Elliot learns how to make arts and crafts by hand. No soulless machine art here!

The shop has also been restocked with new items. From top to bottom, left to right:
code:
New Items
	Strawberry Laces 	They're somewhat elastic, which makes them more fun to eat!				-5 Stress
	Pop Rocks 		Pop pop! A party in your mouth!								-10 Stress
	Superhero Cards		Collect your favorite superheroes!							-15 Stress
	Scarf			A scarf to warm your heart!								+50 Satisfaction

New Entertainment
	Pirated Game		Crack the game for super-quality equipment and to become almight in one go!
	Badminton Set		Badminton is good for your health and you can always play it near your home.
	New Exercise Book	Study and learn all day long and your grade skyrockets!
	Premium Membership	Kiddo, do you know about premium membership?

New Skills
	Idol Merchandise	Do you envy your idol's lavish lifestyle? Work hard! If can be yours, too!
	Figurine		What a chuckalicious little 'doll'!
	Indie Game CD-Key	Helps you understand indie game culture.
	Offline Form		Do you want to become a star? Fill in this offline artist registration form and begin your training!

Mom had a Face duel with the neighborhood madame and got spanked hard. Elliot doesn't seem to be a very good son so far..

Nindoten Games give a good amount of stats, and remove more stress than it removes satisfaction. It also comes with a really good trait, if we can get that lucky!

Elliot and his friends are bad at culting. None of them have the Charm for it.

This is the coolest Mario has ever looked.

It's that time again! Can Elliot pull the win off?

Well we didn't get second place, there's still a chance!

Bam! Elliot ran a very small marathon on stage and earned himself 500 Knowledge and 200 Face!

Elliot focuses on his studies, to hone his Ninja mind.

All that studying means there is more time for video games, obviously.

Oh sure, it's fine when we play games at home but if we go to the arcade it's the end of the world!

Sometimes, Elliot is just so good that he already knows what's expected of him.

Whoops, sorry Mom!

Something new, a writing contest!

quote:

The [Subject] and [Writing Style] of the composition determines where I should put my effort. I'll try my best!

Of course, the most important part of writing, is the flashing inspiration that pops up! Don't forget to collect these [Inspirations] to improve the overall quality of your composition.

Imagination can be good, or bad; so it pays to choose carefully. That's the [Essence of Composition] our teacher taught us!

Let me see, the topic for the Old Concept Writing Contest is...

Wind and the Pacific Ocean!

I go with Independence, as what is more free than the wind and the ocean?

I also choose Well Organized.

These two options are supposed to be related in some way but the localization of the themes is supposedly pretty hard to do.

Writing montage!

Two of the starting stats will be larger based on your initial choices. The general strategy I've found is to see which one goes up fastest on its own, and grab + or ++ that match it. When you click on the floating text bubbles you get the bonus listed underneath and ALL current text bubbles disappear. They will also disappear after a few seconds so you have to be fast. The bonuses they give won't be shown until you mouse over them.

Year old forum posts that I can find seem to indicate that second place is somewhere between 1500-2000 points, and 1st place is 3000+ points total.

We got third place and 150 knowledge. Not terribly much but it was free!

Dad agrees that we should be out of the house more often so grants us freedom to go to Summer Camp. Summer Camp is a good entertainment because it reduces Stress but also INCREASES Satisfaction!

Hell yeah, being smart is EZ!

So easy that we're just gonna play more video games.

That's not a pen, and Jesus Christ Mom!

We make it up to her a bit. Maybe Elliot will be allowed to live now?

Another new minigame, with a questionable localization and a benefit that I can't remember! (It's probably Knowledge)

All three students take turns trying to convince the other students (and the teacher, sorta) to vote for them. This varies between puffing themselves up and tearing down the other candidates.

code:
	Denounce	Condemn a dishonorable student's morals. Affects theirs as well as yours Morality. Has a large chance of making you appear dishonorable.
	Report		Report a dishonorable student to the class teacher. Worsens their relationship with the teacher, while also making the teacher trust you! Worsens your standing with the masses.
	Isolate		Isolate a student, thereby worsening their standing with the masses. Also affects your relationship with the class teacher. Has a big chance of making you appear dishonorable.
	Ally		allies with a student and shower each other with flattery! Both of you gain standing with the masses, but the teacher won't let it slide without repercussions.

Assist		Increases your likability among the masses based on your Charm. Slightly worsens your relationship with the class teacher. Has a chance of making you appear dishonorable, attracting the attention of others.
	Promote		Increases your Morality based on your IQ. Slightly worsens your standing with the masses.
	Flatter		Improves your relationship with the class teacher based on your Face. Slightly worsens your Morality. Has a chance of making you appear dishonorable.
Basically, we choose whichever option is better based on our stats. Assist is Charm, Promote is IQ, and Flatter is Face. Unless your child is very specialized in Face or Charm it's almost always best to go for Promote. If you get lucky with the other two fighting each other, you can shoot up in the polls.

If you do something to become Dishonorable, the other students can take advantage of that to tear you down even harder so I generally avoid doing so.

In the end, Elliot wasn't lucky enough and lost by about 6% of the vote. Times are tough.

Humans are disgusting.

I love this scimitar rip-off Nike logo.

Uh..can you just kick me out instead?

Like many people, Mom is still susceptible to bribery.

It would be really embarrassing for me, personally, if I hosed up the profession selection so badly that we never even get the chance to properly become a Ninja. This screen just gives you a preview of the currently available jobs, based on what you've unlocked.

Sharing earbuds is gross, kids are gross.

Dad doesn't want us to be Average, he wants us to shoot for the stars and become a Sales Manager!

gently caress you, Dad.

I suddenly remember there was a goal to get into a Key High School and start panic learning everything in the hopes of getting the stats we need.

quote:

When your relative pushes the red envelope toward you, click to control the marker. If the marker is within the orange area when the time is over, you get the red envelope. Touching either side ends the mini-game!

This event is a big source of free money. We don't have to spend action points or knowledge or anything, just click the mouse a bunch!

Aunt Meme continually pushes the envelope near us but not smoothly; the indicator at the bottom moves back and forth and randomly jumps different distances to the left. Clicking the mouse will move it to the right but also a random distance, within a certain threshold. Thus you can't develop a rhythm and keep clicking to win, you have to actually pay attention.

When you lose, it's usually close like this.

Mom saves face by taking the money away from Elliot after he greedily stole it from Aunt Meme.

Another aunt is here and also tries to give Elliot some money and I somehow fail even worse :negative:

These are worth a decent chunk of change and now I'm vaguely mad about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu5zp8G9-1Y
Age 13 Male, Unknown

I swear Elliot is wearing lipstick.

Finally, all that video gaming has paid off and we earned a Legendary Trait! We might be able to challenge that hard Face Duel now!

(We're also living on campus, game?)

We missed getting into a Key High School by SEVEN Memory points (it's calculated before bonuses from events.) Sucks but what're you gonna do?

Pretty sure I would go insane sharing a room with five other people while also going through a stressful school year.

--------------------------------------------------

Since I'm an idiot who knows nothing and doesn't prepare, we won't be able to start becoming a Ninja until next update. At the same time, Dad wants us to become a Sales Manager! What is Elliot to do???

Please VOTE on whether we remain committed to becoming a NINJA or listen to Dad and go for SALES MANAGER.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 1, 2020

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Sales Manager, this can be the first of many times to fail to meet your desires and expectations.

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011
Clearly we have to stick with Ninja

That way our next kid can be a disappointment to us by becoming a boring, successful sales manager instead of an assassin for hire.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 23, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Never give up! That's the ninja way!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Ninja!

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Ninja!

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

The New Year's event is the one I find the most baffling, from a cultural perspective. You're told not to accept-- if you refuse the money, you're scolded and it gets confiscated. If you accept the money, you get scolded and it gets confiscated.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

You know how in the Upper Midwest it's considered polite to refuse offers of food three times before accepting? Chinese culture takes that and cranks it up to 11.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

StrangeAeon posted:

The New Year's event is the one I find the most baffling, from a cultural perspective. You're told not to accept-- if you refuse the money, you're scolded and it gets confiscated. If you accept the money, you get scolded and it gets confiscated.

From my understanding, the minigame represents Elliot putting in the proper amount of "No, no, I couldn't possibly, this is too much, etc." before accepting it. Another form of saving Face, perhaps.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

StrangeAeon posted:

You're supposed to graciously accept while simultaneously displaying that you're only accepting because you don't want to reject the lavish generosity of your family member and not because you just like money

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
No, gently caress you dad! Become a Ninja!:ssj:
Serves him right for refusing to buy a ticket to the anime theme park a few years ago. :colbert:

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

The way of the Ninja wasn't said to be an easy one, was it? Keep at it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

¿Por que no los dos?

But if we have to pick one, I say Ninja.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Ninja!

I've yet to fail to become President by sticking 100% to the stat you have an Advantage in. It's usually morality, for some reason. I usually fail miserably at the other minigames, though.

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Ninja!

I've yet to fail to become President by sticking 100% to the stat you have an Advantage in. It's usually morality, for some reason. I usually fail miserably at the other minigames, though.

Yeah, every other option except for Promote seems to be a trap. If you do nothing but Promote, you seem to win a solid 95%+ of the time, with the only real chances of losing being when one candidate starts with a ridiculous lead and the other "secondary" candidate deciding to gang up on you with the leader.

That's pretty rare though.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Stick true to the long and hard road of becoming one with the Ninja.

BraveLittleToaster fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Especially after the first year, it's pretty hard to lose the Student President election unless you do it on purpose. Elliot's stats aren't the greatest yet and we got unlucky, the other two kept ganging up on him.