Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Is it just me or did the slice-of-life scenes in the first half of the ep feel weirdly paced? I haven't read the VN and while I did watch the old anime it was long ago and most of the details escape me, so I'm not basing my comparison off of that. It felt like they were hurrying through each scene without giving them time to breathe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the pacing is weird but it actually gave those scenes more time to breathe than the old anime did, the actual problem is that they skipped over old maid, which was the original introduction to the club. they even refer back to it in the ep itself. in doing that they skip over the entire establishing scene of the club, which makes things feel very awkward, and the game that's shown instead doesn't really work as a replacement.

it's a shame cause while the old anime did have that scene, it skipped most of the old maid scene itself, so there'd still be something new to animate there if they kept it in. i don't know if any of these issues will be persistent across the rest of ch1 because one aspect of it is that they were clearly shooting for ending ep 1 on the magazine scene, which is also where ep 1 of the old anime ended on. it makes sense as a hook but as you can see it's hard to manage without rushing a bit

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 3, 2020

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
First episode felt kinda weird in places to me. Satoko's voice actress kinda sounds like she's pushing things for her age (Satsuki Yukino sounds different too but Mion/Shion are older teens in the first place so it doesn't sound as weird) and something about the overall atmosphere made it feel less organic than the old show.

that being said I popped off when the old, spooky, opening kicked in

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pretty weird to think this story is set nearly 40 years in the past at this point. How time flies...

Mixed feelings overall on this first episode, and I'm probably going to come away from this preferring the Deen anime overall. Still, I have to admit that like with others the nostalgia kicked in hard when the old OP played at the end.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm sorry to pop in here, if this was in the OP and I overlooked it please let me know. Where are you finding this at? Is this on Crunchy Roll?

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
looks like I've found my chill watch for the fall

SalTheBard posted:

I'm sorry to pop in here, if this was in the OP and I overlooked it please let me know. Where are you finding this at? Is this on Crunchy Roll?

funimation!

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

Hulu.

I ran across Higurashi back in college and binged the first 8 episodes (Onikakushi-hen and Wataganashi-hen) in one sitting. At night. Not the wisest decision of my life.

Something about these new character designs rubs me the wrong way, especially Keiichi, who looks like a cheap knockoff of himself to me. But this might be the instinctive "it's not the saaaaaaaaaaame!!1!" feeling that remakes can bring out in an old fan. Plus, I'm gonna miss those crazy faces, which really added to the Higurashi Experience at the time. But aside from that, I'm optimistic, especially about the slower pacing. I never played the VN, and probably never will, so I'm really looking forward to seeing all of the content that was cut. I'm half tempted to go back and rewatch the first episode of 2006 Higurashi to see if the Spooky Rena/Mion moments showed up so soon.

I am furious about that stinger, though. Passione is playing their cards too soon! One of the great qualities of Higurashi is the slow buildup--be it the building creepiness that explodes into violence each arc, or the more and more clues you get with each arc that Something Is hosed in sleepy ol' Hinamizawa. And one of the great buildups in the story IMO is the true nature of Rika. Part of what made it so great was that she seems so innocuous early on, but then the clues start building up that she is more than what it seems, and then....well, the actual reveal blew my mind at the time. But here they're almost screaming THAT GIRL AIN'T RIGHT from the get go. For shame, Passione, for shame. Maybe the studio thinks that the story is so well known that there's no point in hiding the big reveal?

e. Yeah, in 2006 the Spooky Rena/Mion moments are more quietly done, the first episode is almost entirely light-hearted school days between the beginning murders and the magazine discovery at the end.

And speaking of which, I forgot to mention that I lost my poo poo when the original opening started playing at the magazine scene in this first episode. That was my "Welcome to back to Hinamizawa" moment. :getin:

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 4, 2020

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Viola the Mad posted:

I am furious about that stinger, though. Passione is playing their cards too soon! One of the great qualities of Higurashi is the slow buildup--be it the building creepiness that explodes into violence each arc, or the more and more clues you get with each arc that Something Is hosed in sleepy ol' Hinamizawa. And one of the great buildups in the story IMO is the true nature of Rika. Part of what made it so great was that she seems so innocuous early on, but then the clues start building up that she is more than what it seems, and then....well, the actual reveal blew my mind at the time. But here they're almost screaming THAT GIRL AIN'T RIGHT from the get go. For shame, Passione, for shame. Maybe the studio thinks that the story is so well known that there's no point in hiding the big reveal?

I adore how the original anime plays with Rika. At first, you only have the opening hinting that she's creepy, but several arcs in she starts acting a bit weird, and then by the end of the first season you know that she's hiding something. And then the second season opening drops, saying "Hey, bet you didn't figure out she was the real protagonist."

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I should watch the anime without dubs sometime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
all of these strengths are more strengths of the vn, and the 2006 anime sticking to it. things like the spooky faces in the old show otoh were entirely its own invention and imo, while memorable, didn't really actually stay in line with the tone the story is meant to be setting. i've got a lot of complaints with how the old anime balanced the tone of the story in the first season... but also every higurashi adaptation ever plays so hard into that same kind of tone that i'm not expecting parts of this new one to really feel that different, especially after ep 1's new bizarre end-of-ep stinger

the other weird thing is that like... in terms of cut scenes, this is more of an opportunity to see scenes that were cut from the old anime actually adapted in the correct order, than anything else, because the old anime took the bizarre approach of stuffing most of the big moments it skipped into the start of season 2. so honestly like half of the big new stuff you're gonna see is stuff you've already seen, just, only previously seen weirdly chopped out into its own little box. in theory this'll be better for the writing but i'm not 100% sure it'll help much if they keep doing weird stuff like they did with skipping old maid

anyway now that i've said all that i think i'm going to try and take a step back in this kind of discussion cause i feel really strongly about it all, but it's not like i'm ever gonna convince people to read the vn who don't want to and if i post about this stuff every week it's probly just gonna make this thread annoying to read

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 4, 2020

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think its for the best that different versions of the story emphasize different things. I loved spooky atmosphere and crazy faces of Deen anime but I generally dislike slice of life stuff so hours of endless club scenes turned me off hard from VN and despite whatever purists had to say I’ve never regretted not turning back from version of the story I like. I assume its the same for them.

At least people that want what the VN offers can easily nab it off of Steam or whatever these days.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the 2008 higurashi live action movie has a part where keiichi wears a t-shirt that says "gently caress LANDLORDS". i think this is the one thing about the 2008 higurashi movie everyone deserves to know

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 4, 2020

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The Colonel posted:

the 2008 higurashi live action movie has a part where keiichi wears a t-shirt that says "gently caress LANDLORDS". i think this is the one thing about the 2008 higurashi movie everyone deserves to know

I actually have never watched, played, or read much about this series or the related media, but I've seen that picture before.
Looking forward to how this anime turns out with no prior expectations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

What I liked about the original show was how it was a slow burn that added to the atmosphere of sleepy inaka life that played well with the undercurrent of paranoia and distrust that punctuates all the big events that take place in the story. With a 13 episode order I hope it doesn't end up feeling rushed, but with the way they ended the first episode I'm worried that's what's going to end up happening.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I like the bit where the girl says uso da

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I swear we're going to get to the VNs (currently own 1-4), but first we have to finish playing Yakuza 0. Would anyone have a problem if I dropped my thoughts in here as we went through them?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I think the original TV series was one of the first subbed anime I watched, so I'm really excited for this remake. The original OP firing up at the end had me grinning like an idiot.

I personally didn't mind the stinger as I'm not a newcomer, but I can see how that might ruin it a bit for people who somehow haven't already experienced the story in some format.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Maera Sior posted:

I swear we're going to get to the VNs (currently own 1-4), but first we have to finish playing Yakuza 0. Would anyone have a problem if I dropped my thoughts in here as we went through them?

the vn thread in games (genuinely) loves to see people liveblogging their way through r07 games. there's a less active vn thread in adtrw too, mostly occupied by the same posters

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

The Colonel posted:

all of these strengths are more strengths of the vn, and the 2006 anime sticking to it. things like the spooky faces in the old show otoh were entirely its own invention and imo, while memorable, didn't really actually stay in line with the tone the story is meant to be setting. i've got a lot of complaints with how the old anime balanced the tone of the story in the first season... but also every higurashi adaptation ever plays so hard into that same kind of tone that i'm not expecting parts of this new one to really feel that different, especially after ep 1's new bizarre end-of-ep stinger

the other weird thing is that like... in terms of cut scenes, this is more of an opportunity to see scenes that were cut from the old anime actually adapted in the correct order, than anything else, because the old anime took the bizarre approach of stuffing most of the big moments it skipped into the start of season 2. so honestly like half of the big new stuff you're gonna see is stuff you've already seen, just, only previously seen weirdly chopped out into its own little box. in theory this'll be better for the writing but i'm not 100% sure it'll help much if they keep doing weird stuff like they did with skipping old maid

anyway now that i've said all that i think i'm going to try and take a step back in this kind of discussion cause i feel really strongly about it all, but it's not like i'm ever gonna convince people to read the vn who don't want to and if i post about this stuff every week it's probly just gonna make this thread annoying to read

Oh, I don't mean to say that the anime (2006 or 2020 for that matter) is better than the VN by any means. I have no doubt that all of the strengths of the anime come straight from the VN--I'm ride or die for WTC, I know how good Ryukishi's writing can be. But I finally bought Umineko for myself instead of just reading LPs and whatnot, and adding a whole 'nother 8 episodes to read is just a little too much to commit to at the moment, especially with Ciconia now being released. Higurashi will always have a special place in my heart for introducing me to WTC, but tbh I think it's the weakest part of the series (though that has more to do with my high opinion of Umineko/Ciconia than weaknesses in Higurashi). So, frankly speaking, reading the later VNs will always take priority for me.

That and...the sprites. I just can't. I know, I know, it's shallow as hell, and I even like Ryukishi's sprites in later works! But Higurashi's sprites are just... :negative: The first time I saw them, I thought they were really crappy fanart that were inexplicably popular.

FWIW, I do appreciate your viewpoint (and hell, you're probably right, VNs are usually too big for a truly faithful adaptation), and I'm thankful that you've decided to hold off to let us anime stans natter on about the show. Assuming] Passione really does animate the whole shebang, I would like to hear your issues with both/either shows once we get to that last episode of Kai.

Maera Sior posted:

I'd be down for it, but the OP/mods should weigh in. I'm starting to think that we should create a separate thread for WTC as a whole.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'd be cool with a WTC thread, or even if Maera Sior wants to make their own personal thread blogging their experiences with it (though it might be more suited to the games forum, unless they'd rather have ADTRW posters instead of games posters reading/commentating about it). Threads don't have to be generalized for everyone-if I wanted to make a thread called "Julias watches the entirety of Teekyu! In one sitting" I could do that. Infact I'd enjoy more one off threads like that, makes the place feel a bit more lively.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Viola the Mad posted:

That and...the sprites. I just can't. I know, I know, it's shallow as hell, and I even like Ryukishi's sprites in later works! But Higurashi's sprites are just... :negative: The first time I saw them, I thought they were really crappy fanart that were inexplicably popular.

FWIW, I do appreciate your viewpoint (and hell, you're probably right, VNs are usually too big for a truly faithful adaptation), and I'm thankful that you've decided to hold off to let us anime stans natter on about the show. Assuming] Passione really does animate the whole shebang, I would like to hear your issues with both/either shows once we get to that last episode of Kai.

i like higu's sprites but they're definitely rougher than other ryukishi stuff, the big problem is that they have very ugly shading. umineko's is kinda flat but it lets the linework stand out more, while higu's shading is kinda blinding

and i will say, pretty much all my thoughts are gonna be settled around chapter 6. s2 of the old anime is actually something i love so much that if the way they cover ch7 and 8 here turns out a bit wonky, i'd highly rec s2 of the old show to people to make up for it. that season is probably one of the best animated deen shows ever produced lol

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think there's mods to switch Higurashi to the PS2 sprites which are generally good

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yes, it's incredibly easy to mod the VNs at present (along with some music remaster tweaks, adding in voices, CGs, etc.).

My view has always been that while I prefer the Ryukishi sprites especially for Umineko for a variety of reasons, at the end of the day what's important is that people experience the story and I'd rather have someone give it a try with the mods if the alternative was to not play it at all.

But as for this anime, I think while there are some things that stood out in ep 1 at the end of the day Onikakushi is kind of a weird arc compared to the rest and it's probably the one where *some* liberties can be taken here and there, so long as the whole thing is given the time to pace itself. Which is to say, more than the 4 episodes the original got.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
In addition to the PS3 sprites, 07th-mod has full voice patches for Higurashi and Umineko, and they're most of the way through translating the many Higurashi console arcs. Pretty big undertaking, but it's gone relatively quickly (compared to Mangagamer...). I really like having the voices.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the console arcs are... a whole weird thing of their own. it's cool they're being tled but since they mostly exist as ways to set the console versions apart, they're. kinda just extraneous bullshit lol

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

But as for this anime, I think while there are some things that stood out in ep 1 at the end of the day Onikakushi is kind of a weird arc compared to the rest and it's probably the one where *some* liberties can be taken here and there, so long as the whole thing is given the time to pace itself. Which is to say, more than the 4 episodes the original got.

I'd kill for a nice, slow build into AAAAA. Love me some escalating paranoia.

I heard that 2020 Higurashi is going to be one cour, is that true? And if so, are they planning to make a second cour that covers the rest of the Question arcs? I can understand if the studio won't commit to Kai just yet, but why bother if they aren't planning to finish WTC 1. I really liked Tatagoroshi-hen, too.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i doubt they'll stop at ch1 and 2 unless the anime somehow mega-bombs. even barring the popularity of higurashi as an ip this was launched alongside the mobage, it's basically doubling as an ad for that. it'd actually make less sense for them to not cover kai with that too, since the mobage plays on stuff established in kai

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 5, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Viola the Mad posted:

I'd kill for a nice, slow build into AAAAA. Love me some escalating paranoia.

I heard that 2020 Higurashi is going to be one cour, is that true? And if so, are they planning to make a second cour that covers the rest of the Question arcs? I can understand if the studio won't commit to Kai just yet, but why bother if they aren't planning to finish WTC 1. I really liked Tatagoroshi-hen, too.

It seems like a lot of shows I'm watching these days start with a single cour order and if it does well they announce a new season right after the finale airs.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the more i think about the improbability of this getting 50 episodes the more i'm starting to suspect that it's going to be a rebuild type thing that diverges from the original

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean. they could diverge the plot to tie more into the mobile game. it would be stupid and would be better to just make an anime for the mobile game, but they could. a "rebuild" thing for higurashi wouldn't really mean anything unique overall because there's already a billion things like that for higurashi, it's basically all bullshit the console arcs do

it's also been a decade and a half though and there's an entire generation that hasn't watched or read higurashi so it's not like there's no reason to just, re-adapt it, and it's not like it lacks the clout to get a full adaptation

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 6, 2020

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Potential spoilers (I'm nowhere near well-versed enough in this series to know how serious this may be - I figure Googling would spoil things for me - , but I figure better safe than sorry in relating what got linked to me on Discord.)
This tweet apparently shows some screenshots of Amazon Prime listings for the show.
It's listed as "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou", and the chapter is called "Onidamashi" (鬼騙し) instead of "Onikakushi" (鬼隠し)

Also, this might be longer than 1 cour?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's definitely longer than a cour since they already previously made some announcement about its timeslot changing between fall and winter seasons

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Hogama posted:

Potential spoilers (I'm nowhere near well-versed enough in this series to know how serious this may be - I figure Googling would spoil things for me - , but I figure better safe than sorry in relating what got linked to me on Discord.)
This tweet apparently shows some screenshots of Amazon Prime listings for the show.
It's listed as "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou", and the chapter is called "Onidamashi" (鬼騙し) instead of "Onikakushi" (鬼隠し)

Also, this might be longer than 1 cour?

it definitely spoils that i don't know if i can recommend this to anyone who hasn't watched or read higurashi already

new arc names usually mean, original content lol

did they have to make this so loving confusing for a show that's had a bigger gap between the original story's release than eva rebuild had between it and the original evangelion

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 7, 2020

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.

The Colonel posted:

it definitely spoils that i don't know if i can recommend this to anyone who hasn't watched or read higurashi already

new arc names usually mean, original content lol

did they have to make this so loving confusing for a show that's had a bigger gap between the original story's release than eva rebuild had between it and the original evangelion

It certainly makes sense since the card game was replaced with a scavenger hunt and we got creepy Rika episode 1, and we know this isn't studio meddling since ryukishi07 is supervising. I would hope this is set up as a general retread of the original arcs with minor changes in events to keep things interesting for fans, like these are other timelines Rika experienced alongside the arcs in the original series. Maybe we get Miotsukushi-hen as the last arc.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Dinosaur Satan posted:

It certainly makes sense since the card game was replaced with a scavenger hunt and we got creepy Rika episode 1, and we know this isn't studio meddling since ryukishi07 is supervising. I would hope this is set up as a general retread of the original arcs with minor changes in events to keep things interesting for fans, like these are other timelines Rika experienced alongside the arcs in the original series. Maybe we get Miotsukushi-hen as the last arc.

if they're changing things in an anime that's coinciding with the mobile game i think it's just going to change things to tie into the mobile game

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I have been working my way through the free chapter on Steam (I'm at the festival), and judging by today's broadcast I'm guessing this show is definitely not sticking strictly to the original game script, what with the funky mindscape at the beginning. Also, I clearly heard them announce "Onidamashi" at the very end after the credits. Guess I'll learn more later with subtitles.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Gonna second the disappointment them jumping the gun on the horror bits. Especially since I remember one of my favorite bits of this arc in the first anime was how well things worked with the audience following along into Keiichi's descent into paranoia. Going from perfectly happy fun times to KILL EVERYTHING NOW HOLY poo poo with so much subtlety that you couldn't really pinpoint where the shift even started, with everything being fine in retrospect when you learn it was all in his head the whole time.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Funimation has a tweet on it with a special key visual. Might want to wait until after the episode to look at it.

Edit: The official site is listing the future DVD/BD releases and lists up to 24 episodes, so it seems it'll be 2 cour.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 8, 2020

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So episode 2 was officially not good then, I take it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Grouchio posted:

So episode 2 was officially not good then, I take it?
I don't know that it's that so much as it is now much more plain that this is not actually a re-adaptation but some new work that kind of assumes you've already read/watched the originals.