Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Hogama posted:

I don't know that it's that so much as it is now much more plain that this is not actually a re-adaptation but some new work that kind of assumes you've already read/watched the originals.

Given the intro and and a few other tells [VN Discussion] I guessing that Higurashi New is the Stein's Gate 0 to the original, adding in new arcs rather than adapting the original vn, the question remains though whether it will be used for more than twists on the original arcs, this episode was giving me Ch1 and 6 mashup vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rebuild of Higurashi 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Well, that's unfortunate...
I was watching the new series with some friends who haven't seen the 2006 adaptation or read the VN, and now I'm not sure whether to continue. (We haven't seen episode 2 yet.) Was looking forward to getting a more faithful take on Higurashi, instead of an even less faithful one. Bleh.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this anime has made a loving clown of me

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Colonel posted:

this anime has made a loving clown of me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JuK1Yr35Io

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I dont mind rewatching the old show. Should be fun!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm totally up for just doing something completely whacky and new with the classic characters, though it does make me wonder what exactly the point of this all is going to be now. Like is there really that much more story to really mine out of having Rika go through even more loops again?

New ED was really nice btw.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 8, 2020

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the point is cross promotion with the gacha

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
someone tell me what to do with the op i typed up in a late night stupor assuming this would be a re-adaptation

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I'm down with more Higurashi to be honest

But can Umineko get a real anime adaptation next too?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's probably ultimately more interesting that they do something new, but the problem most extra Higurashi stories run into is that the original eight chapters tells an extremely complete story with basically no loose ends and full closure for every conceivable character and arc. This why I feel the most successful side stories are the ones who involve mostly new characters like Onisarashi. But you never know, there could be something decent ways to re-explore some of those arcs through similar but different paths.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think this series is written by R07 so I'll give it a chance.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
idk why japan so violently refuses to just remake things that need a remake

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Something from the OP I was seeing some marking out over from others:

Gonna pick up the VN while it's still on sale I think. I doubt it will be cheaper for Halloween.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 9, 2020

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.
I feel really bad for anyone who hasn't seen the original and is watching this as an entry point.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Wild opening to episode 2 as someone watching blind! I was not expecting time loop shenanigans.

Dinosaur Satan posted:

I feel really bad for anyone who hasn't seen the original and is watching this as an entry point.

hey that's me

Buzzsaw Roomba fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 9, 2020

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Hogama posted:

Something from the OP I was seeing some marking out over from others:

oh poo poo i did not notice that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
saying there would be "little" things is the sickest joke ryukishi has played on his audience since rose guns days

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Wild opening to episode 2 as someone watching blind! I was not expecting time loop shenanigans.

hey that's me

The info in the opening scene of episode two isn't revealed until six episodes into season two of the original series. This is going to be an interesting experience for you and I hope it's not too confusing.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I've been keeping up with this thread to decide if there are enough differences from the old one to watch it. Am I to understand based on the posts on this page that surprise, it's a sequel and not a remake?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Argue posted:

I've been keeping up with this thread to decide if there are enough differences from the old one to watch it. Am I to understand based on the posts on this page that surprise, it's a sequel and not a remake?

That's what it's looking like, and I'm much more interested in it as a result.

Rika's Watanagashi dance looked really nice with what I assume are more modern motion capture animation techniques. All the main girls' mouths look really weird to me though, like they're all on some sliding scale of :3

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that's just akio watanabe's designs being closer to the original vn designs

even keiichi has it

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 9, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

darealkooky posted:

idk why japan so violently refuses to just remake things that need a remake

Because, given Sailor Moon Crystal, they're not very good at it?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
sailor moon crystal 1: wasn't a remake and 2: the old series didn't need a remake. fma brotherhood was a remake of something that needed and it that turned out great, so what's the reason for all these people just going "haha sike, it was actually a sequel all along. fooled you!" like it's still clever the 10th time it's happened?

to be clear I'm not even against what they're doing here, it just seems a little goofy that this keeps happening.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
you could end up like Berserk where there are like 4 adaptations of the same arc and they're all on a sliding scale of "criminally incomplete" to "trash"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Having even the title be a lie is next level

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Having even the title be a lie is next level
Kind of like assuming Puella Magi Madoka Magica is about Madoka and not Homura.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

Kind of like assuming Puella Magi Madoka Magica is about Madoka and not Homura.

:thunk: you know things can be about multiple chatacters, right?

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
If anything, this inspired me to buy the VN, so that's a plus.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Wow they really just completely spoiled basically everything to do with Rika.

Honestly, doing something like this pisses me off. That other recent thing turning out to be stealth sequel was good because they didn't actually spoil any of the big reveals and the hints were unobtrusive to new players. But this really feels like them tricking a bunch of people into watching Higurashi for the first time and then abruptly spoiling the poo poo out of them so they can't even enjoy the original. Which is a real rear end in a top hat thing to do.

If anyone reading the thread is thinking of watching Higurashi for the first time and is considering the 2020 version, go watch the original anime instead. The story is better bingewatched anyway. I'm not even sure what the point of the 2020 anime is supposed to be, making Rika do more timeloops is loving pointless and stupid and just ruins the ending of the original. Did they think this is what fans wanted? Just make Umeniko you cowards!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't know if it's fair to call something "pointless and stupid" two episodes in to a 26 episode series.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

What's left for the series to explore? All the main mysteries are solved in the original and its resolved very neatly.

I know people are speculating that there's a Umeniko connection but if there is that would just be even worse since then you're spoiling two series for people. :\

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
we should quit making sequels at all if they're just going to spoil the previous installments

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don’t think anyone is saying there can’t be a sequel, but the “gotcha” Ryu07 was going for doesn’t seem to have much really going for it with a hell of a lot against it.

Like why even hide that this was a sequel at all?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
well they did announce that it's actually higurashi gou and not higurashi new the moment the second episode aired

idk at first i thought it would be lame to get an original story but at this point like. gently caress it give me some fun rika scenes i'm up for it, it'll probably be better than some of the console arcs

it'll be better than the higurashi movies that change the ending of chapter 6 so that rena loving dies from a gunshot wound jesus man how are those movies so bad

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 9, 2020

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

The Colonel posted:

it'll be better than the higurashi movies that change the ending of chapter 6 so that rena loving dies from a gunshot wound jesus man how are those movies so bad

lol what the gently caress how did they miss the entire point of that ending

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Julias posted:

I think it's hard to draw broad conclusions about the quality of the first episode without seeing how the rest of the season is paced and adapts certain elements. There's no need to rush to come to a consensus that it's better or worse than the old adaptation, so my advice Is to chill and just enjoy it on a week to week basis :cheers:
Should I uh, still hold you to that statement since this show is now a sequel?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

lol what the gently caress how did they miss the entire point of that ending

how did they insert parts of chapter 3 into chapter 6 and then instantly resolve them in literally one scene and never bring them up again

also shion in the movies gets one scene, and then spends the entire rest of them standing around, never being acknowledged by anyone at any time

also the second movie cuts out almost all of rika's screentime

Grouchio posted:

Should I uh, still hold you to that statement since this show is now a sequel?

grouchio just chill out and stop obsessing over the general quality consensus of a show that's barely even started

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

The Colonel posted:

how did they insert parts of chapter 3 into chapter 6 and then instantly resolve them in literally one scene and never bring them up again

also shion in the movies gets one scene, and then spends the entire rest of them standing around, never being acknowledged by anyone at any time

also the second movie cuts out almost all of rika's screentime

that all sounds loving incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

that all sounds loving incredible

the first movie throws villagers wearing oni masks into the scene where the mountain dogs chase keiichi and ends on a spooky silhouette of... hanyuu. with her goofy little horns. the second movie is worse than this somehow. maybe cause the first movie at least made up for being baffling with having the incredible scene where keiichi wears a t-shirt saying things like "gently caress THERAPY", "gently caress SMUT" and "gently caress LANDLORDS"