Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

:livintrope:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Dude has to eat like everyone else, and PUBG collabs/Umineko nods are the future.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
I knew something rubbed me the wrong way about Lambdatoko. I too was part of the crowd that believed Lambdadelta and Takano were connected. Having read Umineko myself, I can confirm that there was nothing hinting at Satoko becoming Lambdadelta; it has always pointed to Lambdadelta already existing and Takano being her piece in Higurashi.

With the exception of the whole Lambda vs. Bern dynamic, Lambdatoko literally came out of nowhere and derailed a storyline over a decade old, much like Eua did.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I kind of assumed Lambda=Satoko, but Takano=Lambda makes much more sense; for one thing, Lambda's hair matches Takano's more than Satoko's. Also, in Umineko when Eva became Eva-Beatrice, her witch form became a younger version of herself, so I guess it would make sense that Lambda would be a younger version of Takano, assuming Lambda is Witch-Takano and Takano is not just Lambda's game piece. But even then I think the logic still tracks since Erika was a doppelganger of Bern. The antagonistic relationship between Lambda and Bern also seems consistent with Rika and Takano once the endgame plot became clear.

I know a lot of that mostly has to do with aesthetics but I hope that makes sense. Honestly things click more in my head if I go back with Lambda=Takano in mind. If all that is the case, yeah it would be kind of crappy to have everything pointing to Takano being Lambda only to then come out and say that it's Satako instead, either because the author changed his mind, or... :shrug:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Unrelated but I just had a dream where I was Rika and I was late to class and I asked Satoko for some books and they all had creepy drawings of the characters staring back me. gently caress you Satoko

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The relationship between Lambdadelta and Takano is made clear in one of the Rei stories. That doesn't say anything about Lambdadelta's origin given that witches clearly do not follow a linear timeline.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Lambda's obsessive relationship with Bern doesn't really make sense from Takano's perspective imo. Takano never really cared about Rika herself, just what she represented. Lambda has Satoko's laugh, is in love with Rika's double and has a pretty similar personality so I think there's enough there for a connection.

In general though I think Lambdadelta is supposed to be some sort of stand in for 'The Culprit' or the culprits narrative power. Takano and Beatrice both got their power from her. Satoko and Vier apparently are her and from what I understand of Rose Gun Days the culprit seems to be her in that as well. In all entries from the WTC universe she's either actually the culprit or on the side of the culprit. Because the culprit is supposed to have an undefeatable certainty that can only be stopped by a miracle or a change of heart.

Also she's the best character in Umineko. Fite me.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 13, 2021

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Young Miyoko's first audiovisual appearance in the series is October 8, 2007, in the Studio DEEN Higurashi anime (she does not originally have a sprite or voice in the novels, and Matsuribayashi doesn't get an enhanced version until the DS port in 2010 - Alchemist's original PS2 port has Miotsukushi instead, which goes in a somewhat different direction).
Lambdadelta's first appearance in the series is December 31, 2007, in the Umineko novels.
In a 2008 interview, Ryukishi07 states that Lambdadelta and Takano look nothing alike other than the bangs and eye color being similar.
(Incidentally, it's also around the Studio DEEN Umineko anime in 2009 that Lambdadelta starts picking up visual traits like more vividly yellow blonde hair in official art)
In 2011 Ryukishi07 says that he has a strong image of the nature of relationship between Bernkastel, Lambdadelta, and Featherine in his mind.

I know the man is infamously evasive in interviews, but I'm inclined to believe him on this one. As early as Tatarigoroshi there's hints of Satoko's deepening dependence on Rika. Higurashi Daybreak actually released at the same day as the original Matsuribayashi release - in Satoko's ending, she wants to stay together with Rika despite Satoshi being awake. Canonicity of the game aside, Ryukishi07 wrote the scenarios for it as well. With other side materials and later Lambdadelta bits like setting traps for Bernkastel and the cake puzzle, I don't think the connections were particularly spur of the moment for him. I mean, I doubt it was necessarily in his original designs for Satoko or Lambdadelta (he's said he originally intended for the latter to be a more serious and cruel girl, but he enjoyed the "super paper" part of her entrance so much that he changed her character to follow more in that vein), but I think it genuinely took shape in his head along the way well before Gou and he just hadn't yet had a story opportunity to handle it. Because it would have been a major detour in both the original Higurashi chapters to spotlight Rika and Satoko's relationship any further than Minagoroshi already went and in the original Umineko chapters to do the same with Bernkastel and Lambdadelta. Plus, I kind of feel like he liked the possibility in Satoko's name, 沙都子, being technically 34 if you squint a bit with the writing (子 can be read as "ko (go)":5 or "shi": 4). Of course, he still hasn't completely connected them yet, since it's more like Origins: Origins, where this Witch Satoko is not yet Lambdadelta.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
JunMeguri has started, as well.
For now it seems to be the lead-in of Satokowashi's starting events from Rika's POV, with a touch of divergence from the anime already.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 15, 2021

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Will definitely be curious to see how the manga does things

Also, please tell me I wasn't the only one getting severe Endless 8 vibes from Sotsu :tinfoil: At least Sotsu gave us a little more to chew on, but in the end it wasn't much

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Endless Eight was a work of art, so Sotsu owned.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endless Eight was way better than Sotsu tbh.

Like Sotsu felt incredibly half-hearted to me in a way I don't think Endless Eight was.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I suppose I should point out before I flub it again that it's actually read as Meguri ("circling, revolving, surrounding").
巡 is either Jun or Meguri, but the filenames on Young Ace Up are labeled "yaup_higurasi_meguri"

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The translation for the new manga chapter is out.

The manga gets a lot of credit for adding stuff that was missing in the anime like what happened to Hanyuu, but it also seems to fast forward through a lot of stuff like the three families ending the dam conflict, Keiichi's role as the new class rep, and much of the final world in Nekodamashi. There's also stuff that's just missing like Takano standing down in Neko or Irie examining Satoko and declaring her cured of Hinamizawa Syndrome. People try to pit the manga and anime against each other but they feel rather complimentary with each filling in the gaps of the other.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 16, 2021

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
hi jumping into this thread to ask a quick question: i’m 7/8 through the higurashi vn, and I was going to watch gou after finishing Matsuribayashi. but I saw something implying this show also spoils umineko somehow? if so i’m going to save it until even later lol, since I want to play umineko at some point too.

does it? (just looking to know the answer, even if it’s like “yes but the fact that it does is technically a spoiler for sotsu”)

god this poo poo is so complicated

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

wocobob posted:

hi jumping into this thread to ask a quick question: i’m 7/8 through the higurashi vn, and I was going to watch gou after finishing Matsuribayashi. but I saw something implying this show also spoils umineko somehow? if so i’m going to save it until even later lol, since I want to play umineko at some point too.

does it? (just looking to know the answer, even if it’s like “yes but the fact that it does is technically a spoiler for sotsu”)

There are light Umineko connections, but I would definitely not consider anything to be close to an explicit spoiler. They can stand alone.

Speaking of Umineko, some mobile game news:

https://twitter.com/the07thnetwork/status/1451218355268972550?s=21

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

wocobob posted:

Gou doesn't have any real spoilers, but it preempts some events in Umineko in a way that might weaken them for you when they happen there. Also, it isn't very good.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

wocobob posted:

You can definitely watch it without reading Umineko, but I would recommend reading it first.

Something from Umineko appears and Gou technically does spoil what it's deal is but that isn't a massive issue. More importantly, there are some big parallels in terms of concepts. Overall though I'd say Umineko gives context to Gou and Sotsu that it's recommended to have.

There's also some references to Ciconia but luckily Ciconia has only released a single phase so they're completely baffling even if you've played it lol.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 21, 2021

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Next chapter is more or less what we've seen, though Satoko is more explicitly going along because she feels bad about having no dream while Rika puts in so much effort. Shion at least gets to give some feedback on their school choice this time.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Shion not saying anything about St. Lucia Academy was one of the strangest gaps in Gou to me, given the large and awful role it played in her life. I'm glad the manga patches that up.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Ryukishi please stop loving with good finished works, Higurashi’s ending was fantastic and needed no further material and while Umineko’s end is extremely messy it’s still a good finished work

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

RevolverDivider posted:

Ryukishi please stop loving with good finished works, Higurashi’s ending was fantastic and needed no further material and while Umineko’s end is extremely messy it’s still a good finished work

Just think about the gacha money tho

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Interesting bit at the end there with Rika kind of snubbing the St. Lucia girls and then they glare at Satoko. It could be foreshadowing that those girls will consciously try to get between them and maybe outright bully Satoko. It would really cast Rika in a much worse light if she ends up standing by while Satoko is bullied. Apart from that it feels like the manga is downplaying how much Satoko and Rika want to be together compared to the anime where Satoko was going to St. Lucia purely for Rika's sake. I could see this going in a direction where Satoko is more clearly driven by a desire for revenge once she starts looping.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
i loved endless eight and sotsu/gou

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
In which Satoko goes to a tea party.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ok so in this version Rika's "friends" are actively sabotaging the friendship to try and get Rika for themselves and push Satoko away. It seems like something that could be cleared up by talking so I'm interested in what happens next.

Good to see that Satoko did try to go to the tea parties and even held her own in the discussion. Someone translated her response to the question "How do you solve a problem you can't solve no matter how much you think about it". Her answer seems to be to figure out the reason behind it. If its a problem with a relationship, you should dig out the others true feelings and personality. She makes an analogy to using a trap to understand how someone thinks and reacts to create a conversation that helps you solve the problem. Satoko is so smart.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Super good A Capella version of the original opening theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx-LmYv_ZdA

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Takoluka posted:

Super good A Capella version of the original opening theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx-LmYv_ZdA

Still gives me chills. Thanks for sharing.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The new Higurashi manga has leaked early and people are already melting down over it. None of the club members paired up, Rena is divorced, Satoko married a Kimiyoshi, and Rika is the only one who never got married or had kids.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

J-Spot posted:

The new Higurashi manga has leaked early and people are already melting down over it. None of the club members paired up, Rena is divorced, Satoko married a Kimiyoshi, and Rika is the only one who never got married or had kids.
glad every part of this weird project is determined to be a failure

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Endorph posted:

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

J-Spot posted:

lmao. i can understand not wanting to pair the club members up with each other: the original higurashi wasn't that kind of work at all, and sotsugyou explored rika/satoko but left the ultimate outcome of that relationship ambiguous. giving them conclusive pairings would go against the former, and maybe the latter too. but pairing them all with faceless extras is equally conclusive, just in an odder and less satisfying way.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What happens to Satoshi?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Raxivace posted:

What happens to Satoshi?

they probably forgot about it again

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

From what I hear there's been no reference to Shion or Satoshi's status so far.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

satoshi died on the way back to his home planet

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

He actually died immediately after the scene with him at the end of Sotsu, he slipped getting out of the hospital bed and hit his head. The end, no moral.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Elephant Parade posted:

Shion not saying anything about St. Lucia Academy was one of the strangest gaps in Gou to me, given the large and awful role it played in her life. I'm glad the manga patches that up.

I like how the exchange amounts to "This is a terrible idea!" "yeah but we're doing it anyway lol"

Feels... very representative at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

J-Spot posted:

That we know of, there's still the blue-haired kid on the front cover to introduce. :v:

The other aggravating thing is that the new kids follow the lovely trend of just being the original cast but slightly different. They should have called it Bigurashi. Oh and making Satoko straight and get married (which she was extremely against in the original) is absolutely revolting. I'm gonna just pretend this manga doesn't exist.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 23, 2021