Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

trouser chili posted:

Congrats man, income is good! I took a $5k a year haircut when I started at my current employer. That was drat near 20 years ago.

Thanks! Yeah in the end I was like, I can make money now which is better than not. Sucks being on the weak side of the negotiation and especially as a Project Manager where negotiating is part of the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

rdb posted:

Most tractors don’t get optioned with an extra hydraulic function on the loader. You can, but for some reason the take rate is really low in the US. When I bought my NH powerstar 120 there were a couple dozen 100-120hp CNH tractors within an hour drive, only one had the factory installed third function. Unfortunately, it’s impossible to add the factory kit outside of the factory on these. John Deere and Kubota were the same, almost everything on the lot has a loader, next to none with the third function.

Eventually I will plumb up a diverter and add it myself.

90% of the machines I’ve seen here for tractors just use a diverter valve on the roll hydraulics to do the 3rd function with a button on the joystick. Most skid steers already have Aux hydraulics to run them anyway.

That’s all the 4in1 on the 4049M we just got is run on- diverter valve with a push button on the stick. It’s awesome to be able to just pick poo poo up by crunching it

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Tractor talk:

My neighbor bought a new JD 2025r and gave me a spare key. Said use it any time. It's the perfect size for our 5 and 8 acres.

In exchange I do all the maintenance on it, which is basically nothing so far. Just this last few weeks I've put 40 hours on it clearing blackberries, falling trees, clearing fence line. I'd love to buy one once I get more acreage.

Even the 4yr old likes to drive it.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

nm posted:

Uhm, I'm in escrow. poo poo.

Also, 2.625% They're basically giving money away.

Try being Danish, my mortgage is 1% 30 year fixed.

You can take a wild guess on what that does to the housing market and first time buyers.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I was able to get my current place without one because I basically paid a decent down payment for it and have been giving buttloads of money to home depot every month instead of a bank. It required serious sacrifices when it came to living standards however, especially pre-2016 or 2018. (We got a furnace I temporarily installed in 2016, and the heatpump/AC in 2018.)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Beverly Cleavage posted:

what terms? I just closed a few weeks ago on 2.875 30yr fixed

30year fixed >20% down. No appraisal apparently? This was bought down from 2.75% with $500.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

NZ voted in favour of euthanasia 65.2% vs 33.8% but against legal weed 53.1 vs 46.1. 2020 continues the rampage of suck.

Life won't suck less but you can leave when you want.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

the spyder posted:

Tractor talk:

My neighbor bought a new JD 2025r and gave me a spare key. Said use it any time. It's the perfect size for our 5 and 8 acres.

In exchange I do all the maintenance on it, which is basically nothing so far. Just this last few weeks I've put 40 hours on it clearing blackberries, falling trees, clearing fence line. I'd love to buy one once I get more acreage.

Even the 4yr old likes to drive it.

That’s one hell of a garden tractor. I like to eyefuck the 1025r and 1023e pretty hard, but they’re $15k used all day long. My 420 :420: with the loader I’m adding this weekend and the 60” deck it came with was $4,700 total. Still, that’s twice what I paid for Schwags.

Here’s the 420 :420: with my 48” tiller attached. Once I’ve got the FEL I’ll be able to use the tiller and loader to fix grading issues with my yard, and destroy the rest of the honeysuckle I hope.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BuckyDoneGun posted:

NZ voted in favour of euthanasia 65.2% vs 33.8% but against legal weed 53.1 vs 46.1. 2020 continues the rampage of suck.
Actually a little surprised by that. NZ seems to be super liberal from what I know, probably even more so than Canada. Are the young-ish people there just not voting? I don't really understand why anyone cares what someone does in their own home in TYOOL2020.

Euthanasia is an immensely good thing, and I'd argue if only 1 of those things could pass, that should be it.

My brother in law just went through that process here and while there were tremendous checks and balances (and every opportunity to stop the process at any time, right up until the literal last moment), it was fairly simple and they made the process as good as they can.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ferremit posted:

It’s a clamshell style bucket

https://youtu.be/jauUkLrF9Nc

Makes tractors and skid steers 100 times more versitile. Downside is that the bucket is heavier so your overall lift capacity gets cut.

That's neat. Never seen one before, which is odd - I've been around tractors my entire life, albeit mostly older stuff. Just never run across one, I guess.

quote:

I’ve just kept my mouth shut. There’s a few of us getting ready to throw a bullying and harassment case at him via the union now.

I mostly don’t have the energy to even engage with the fucktard

Ah, yeah, if you've got a thing going and gathering rope to hang him with, go on, then.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nm posted:

30year fixed >20% down. No appraisal apparently? This was bought down from 2.75% with $500.

dang, i refi'd about a year ago to 3.5. i'd do it again if i weren't unemployed!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BraveUlysses posted:

dang, i refi'd about a year ago to 3.5. i'd do it again if i weren't unemployed!

Ironic isn't it? Last month I was looking at my payment and thought, I'd be better off with a longer term at these ridiculous rates but there's no way to qualify for it now.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

trouser chili posted:

That’s one hell of a garden tractor. I like to eyefuck the 1025r and 1023e pretty hard, but they’re $15k used all day long. My 420 :420: with the loader I’m adding this weekend and the 60” deck it came with was $4,700 total. Still, that’s twice what I paid for Schwags.

Here’s the 420 :420: with my 48” tiller attached. Once I’ve got the FEL I’ll be able to use the tiller and loader to fix grading issues with my yard, and destroy the rest of the honeysuckle I hope.

I was a huge JD kid when I was growing up. I had the toys, hats, shirts. I knew the local dealer who would always give me the latest sales catalogs. My neighbor had all JD tractors/equipment for his small farm, including a 316 full outfitted. I used to tell myself when I was older I'd buy a 420 with the loader for our property. In an odd series of events I ended up with that property and my neighbors 316 after he passed. I never found a 420 that didn't need a full overhaul, or cost as much as the larger 10xx or 20xx series. But now with this 2025r, I can't see myself buying another tractor unless I find a larger piece of land.

Oh and if you haven't made a chain link drag yet, do it now. My issue when trying to do grading with a smaller tractor has always been compaction/ruts. I'm about to till up 80% of our yards and re-do them.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Just scrapped the Versa. After unsuccessfully trying to sell it for two years, I was done with it and wanted it gone.

Now I'm down to two derelicts and one running car.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Tractor chat: I just pulled the trigger on a new Kubota BX23S with loader, backhoe, pallet forks and a snow pusher bucket. It’s more than I need but it will have lots of versatility for the farmette.

Like this:

In the spring I’ll probably get a brush hog mower for the rear PTO but grass cutting is done for the year, and snow will be here soon so I prioritized on the pusher instead of the mower.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 30, 2020

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Tractor chat: I just pulled the trigger on a new Kubota BX23S with loader, backhoe, pallet forks and a snow pusher bucket. It’s more than I need but it will have lots of versatility for the farmette.

Like this:

I'm super jealous of a backhoe. I kinda need to replace part of my sewer main and would just loving love it if I could do the job myself. I think maybe one or two have been fabbed-up for the 400-series tractors, but I gotta imagine they're a little on the small side. Do you have any idea how Kubota parts availability and pricing is compared to Deere? Cause Deere is stupid proud of its parts.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Tractor chat video, brush cutting time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeQlwpTcvfE

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

One of my dream items is a skidsteer with a climate controlled cab for snow duty in the winter and playing in the dirt/gravel in the summer.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

trouser chili posted:

I'm super jealous of a backhoe. I kinda need to replace part of my sewer main and would just loving love it if I could do the job myself. I think maybe one or two have been fabbed-up for the 400-series tractors, but I gotta imagine they're a little on the small side. Do you have any idea how Kubota parts availability and pricing is compared to Deere? Cause Deere is stupid proud of its parts.

Based on the implements I’ve ordered along with the machine, the prices seem reasonable. I paid $450 for forks and $1075 for the snow pusher. I think a 60” brush hog is $1500.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

slidebite posted:

Actually a little surprised by that. NZ seems to be super liberal from what I know, probably even more so than Canada. Are the young-ish people there just not voting? I don't really understand why anyone cares what someone does in their own home in TYOOL2020.

Euthanasia is an immensely good thing, and I'd argue if only 1 of those things could pass, that should be it.

My brother in law just went through that process here and while there were tremendous checks and balances (and every opportunity to stop the process at any time, right up until the literal last moment), it was fairly simple and they made the process as good as they can.

Pretty good turn out, youth seems to be up but still could be better. The real keys to failure have been an incredibly well funded No campaign lead by fundy “pro family” groups flush with money from US fundy groups including Scientology, the government not putting a lot of effort into explaining the proposition, and the incredibly popular prime minister not wanting to “put her thumb on the scale” by stating her preference pre-election. The No campaign got away with spreading lies and fear, claiming it would allow for things the proposed law specifically addressed eg “a weed shop on every street outside every school just like liquor stores!” When total stores would have been limited to around 400 nationwide compared to around 10,000 liquor stores.

So now we’ve lost the chance for a whole generation, and we’ll keep locking up brown people for something pakeha get away with and organised crime will keep making money and roping teens into harder drugs. Cool.

Edit: euthanasia was a binding referendum, weed was not, so the govt is free to ignore it and progress the legislation anyway, but have said they won’t because they’re pussies.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

trouser chili posted:

The kubota backhoes on their little tractors are good, but they’re not really that great. The machine isn’t really heavy enough to anchor it down properly so you end up hauling yourself into your own hole if the grounds hard digging and they really don’t have the power to really get stuck in.

The ones they bolt to the back of the L4600 machines tho are basically just their 3 tonne excavator booms on a tractor and they’re monsters!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I've had this commercial bumper diddly from Renegade stuck in my head since *checks google* NINETEEN NINETY TWO TO NINETY SEVEN??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMJVRESBpFw&t=792s

It just plays in my head anytime a thing happens.

(13:12 but has it ever not synced up?)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
aww my poor pup got kennel cough :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
We got a lot of rain so we went camping in the basement.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

We got a lot of rain so we went camping in the basement.

That's so sweet, I love it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BraveUlysses posted:

aww my poor pup got kennel cough :(

We went through that earlier this year. Got it from doggy daycare. Jerks knew their place was contaminated.

Poor guy sounded like a goose for a couple weeks, but the drugs really knocked it out. Thankfully, he didn't give it to our other dog. Hopefully yours gets better soon.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Based on the implements I’ve ordered along with the machine, the prices seem reasonable. I paid $450 for forks and $1075 for the snow pusher. I think a 60” brush hog is $1500.

Hmm, yeah so my steering cylinder is leaking and a new one is about $600 from my local Deere dealer. Dirty used and probably also leaky units on eBay are running north of $250. They’re not designed to be rebuildable either, although it can be done if you wanna cut/weld.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I.... uh dont believe I am saying this.

The Cursed Outback drove and DID NOT OVERHEAT. It actually worked exactly as it should and..... seriously? This loving car actually ran as it should be??????

I dont believe it. This cant be real

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I.... uh dont believe I am saying this.

The Cursed Outback drove and DID NOT OVERHEAT. It actually worked exactly as it should and..... seriously? This loving car actually ran as it should be??????

I dont believe it. This cant be real

That's how it gets you to drive it just outside your free tow radius from whatever the Australian version of AAA is.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

nm posted:

That's how it gets you to drive it just outside your free tow radius from whatever the Australian version of AAA is.

Tha'll be 150kms. So it'll get beack to it's real home and I'll be done with it and.... I'm not seeing a problem here :D

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ferremit posted:

The kubota backhoes on their little tractors are good, but they’re not really that great. The machine isn’t really heavy enough to anchor it down properly so you end up hauling yourself into your own hole if the grounds hard digging and they really don’t have the power to really get stuck in.

The ones they bolt to the back of the L4600 machines tho are basically just their 3 tonne excavator booms on a tractor and they’re monsters!

Hopefully I won’t be using it for anything insanely heavy duty. I couldn’t really justify a heavy tractor for my house - the subcompact should fulfill more than my needs. Fingers crossed.

This is my first experience in owning a tractor, but we have been doing everything manually around here and turning tons of compost, clearing the drainage channel from the natural spring, trying to move the goat houses etc. all by hand are beginning to be too much. Not to mention I am getting bids to build my new garage in the spring and I’d like to put tire machines and a lift in, but freight companies don’t like to deliver if you don’t have a machine with forks to unload the truck.

I was looking at used units and noticed that the older ones with backhoes didn’t have outriggers, but the new ones do. Theoretically this should give you more resistance to being dragged into the hole, right?

On the topic of bids, I had a builder come out yesterday and say that he doesn’t think he can build me a pole building of the size I want for less than US $80-100k, which is completely insane since we already have one quote for half of his low number. Then he told us he wouldn’t even start a proposal without “a few hundred bucks for my time.” So he’s out of the running.

The second contractor who was supposed to come yesterday had my wife waiting on him for an hour, and then eventually called and said he “lost track of time and wouldn’t be coming”, so my take away from that is that he apparently doesn’t need my business.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We had 6 contractors blow us off back in the spring, the pandemic lead to an almost unreal amount of business so they can afford to be choosy. It's why I ended up ripping that wall open and doing it myself.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

We had 6 contractors blow us off back in the spring, the pandemic lead to an almost unreal amount of business so they can afford to be choosy. It's why I ended up ripping that wall open and doing it myself.

Yes it’s nearly impossible to get good, honest people to do any work or building g right now. Anyone worth their salt has so much business they aren’t taking on anything new and they don’t need to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
On the flip side, painters are getting undercut by their competition by as little as $10 on jobs. Our go to guy was seriously stressing because he'd just lost a huge gig to a notoriously bad company but they underbid him by a tiny percentage and the client didn't give him a chance to counter bid.
I guess it comes down to people assuming they can do a professional level job on their own so not wanting to pay a pro to do it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

:rip: Sean Connery.

Yet again, gently caress 2020.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Half the problem is people claim to be pros when they’re not. I’d rather do the job myself on drugs for my back than pay a “pro” wage for poo poo quality work. I’m currently trying to get a refund form Home Depot for the poo poo install job on my outdoor carpet cuz now I have to re do it properly myself

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

slidebite posted:

:rip: Sean Connery.

Yet again, gently caress 2020.

gently caress him, he’s an admitted domestic abuser.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Have we figured out "video as thread title" technology yet?

https://i.imgur.com/aQOqj5s.mp4

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Half the problem is people claim to be pros when they’re not. I’d rather do the job myself on drugs.

Yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd rather do drugs and pay someone to do the job for me