Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

BraveUlysses posted:

it'll be the best thing you'll ever do for yourself (and family), even though it sucks for now

I'm hardly a religious person but I was married in a church, and consulted with the priest there prior to completing the ceremony and stuff. She said something to us that's stuck with me. She asked if we were dedicated to each other over our own happiness and needs, and like the happy horny couple we were, we eagerly agreed. The priest then asked that we rethink the need to take care of one's self first. Through hammy analogy she regarded that our love is like a well, and if our own well is dry there is no love/water to give to others. So we first had to ensure our own needs were met and satisfied before we could have the capacity to take care of others with the love, care, and attention they deserve from you. Anyway, I'm not very good at it, but there it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That makes me feel less guilty about trying to put money aside for a bike for my own entertainment/enjoyment.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I think maybe Missouri is where XJ go to die. Lot of turds out there these days.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Possibly, but XJs die everywhere. They've long been cheap enough that they're kind of throwaway 4x4s for a lot of people, and it's relatively rare for people to take good care of them.

They're cheap enough that you could fly to, say, AZ, pick up a couple, drive back with them, and be way, way under that $30k. (Or have them shipped.) Far enough under that you can dump 5 figures into modifying and still be way, way under.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

cakesmith handyman posted:

That makes me feel less guilty about trying to put money aside for a bike for my own entertainment/enjoyment.

What are you looking at getting? I've realised the evenings are dark and I need to buy some lights so I can get down the lanes in the dark.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Either 40 yr old CB125T or brand new CB125F :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Oh a bike bike! Yeah awesome!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

trouser chili posted:

So anyway, here's a list of vehicles I've been looking at:

It seems like the ND and ITR (you still have that, right?) would cover any simplify-and-add-lightness driving urges. So either two Jeeps to use as offroad toys, or one Jeep as an offroad toy and something with a big V8 that will smoke rubber for days.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So remember I got Brokeback's state inspection (which in my county, is both emissions and safety) done as early as possible, because it was starting to throw :420: codes?

I finally had an appointment at the tax office to renew the registration, since the online renewal never showed up as available (kept showing they didn't have a recent inspection on file).

...... turns out they want it 89 days or less prior to the expiration. Not 3 months. I had been told I could do it October 1st, which I dutifully did. Turns out the earliest they'll take is October 3rd. :argh:

It's also a PITA to find a non-chain place that does inspections on weekdays. I finally found a place on the 4th try, and it passed fine. Guy actually complimented me on the car, which was a shock. I told him it was an $1800 beater that I didn't expect to get a year out of, and we're past a year now. Inspector: "yeah, I drive a beater too.. change the timing belt, change the oil, and top off the coolant and it'll run forever" *points at almost showroom fresh early 00s Forester out front*

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

All Subarus are beaters.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So is my mom, but we didn't have to generalize, now did we?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Oh a bike bike! Yeah awesome!

Oh yeah I'm too much of a lardass to go anywhere at speed without assistance

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STR posted:

So is my mom, but we didn't have to generalize, now did we?

Your mom is a Subaru?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

Your mom is a Subaru?

Sounds like she is a bit of a boxer yes

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

Oh yeah I'm too much of a lardass to go anywhere at speed without assistance

I keep looking at the MSX/Grom and then I found this race edition...

https://twitter.com/MotorcyclesZZZZ/status/1319183196123168768?s=20

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

I think maybe Missouri is where XJ go to die. Lot of turds out there these days.

Lots of nice ones in Florida still my friend. No rust, that's the most important thing.

If you find any in the west Tampa bay area area I'd be happy to check it out for you.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lots of nice ones in Florida still my friend. No rust, that's the most important thing.

If you find any in the west Tampa bay area area I'd be happy to check it out for you.

Thanks! Kinda funny I was already checking out Tampa and Sarasota areas, since my folks live down that way. Problem is next time I go down there I think I知 bringing a 98 RL home. My old man don稚 want it no more cause it blocks his E-class in the garage.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Good news everybody! The clinic had a mix-up, so I知 in the hospital. Just got pushed some Ativan so I知 sure to have some fun. Going to sleep.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Hi everyone! It has been too long, I mainly lurk these days. The trucks are just too reliable so no new content.

This is a longshot but does anyone know anyone in the Canton, OH area that can look at a car for me? Looking to expand the old car fleet. I'd make the drive myself but I'd have to stay overnight in a hotel and with covid that just sketches me out.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

wallaka posted:

Good news everybody! The clinic had a mix-up, so I知 in the hospital. Just got pushed some Ativan so I知 sure to have some fun. Going to sleep.

Good luck man. It's hard and I wish you the best.

watch out below for some E/N bullshit.

The past week has been a merry hell for me. I discovered that my girlfriend had discarded me like a used tissue, purchased a house 1.5 hours away and only then actually broken up with me. I still have not seen her in person for 6 weeks since this drama began.

I bottled up my feelings or had them dismissed by her for three years. I put it all aside because "we are working towards a future together". I gave her everything I had to give in terms of emotional and mental support. It was never enough. This lead to me having a breakdown earlier this year. As I struggled to deal, to quit binge drinking, to heal from a lifetime of anxiety and depression, she sabotaged me by forbidding me from discussing my feelings until after her next exam, which was at least 6 weeks away.

Unable to express my emotions, I continued to drink. This was too much for her, she told me we needed a break. I tried to talk to her about my feelings. I poured my pain out into a letter. She ghosted me for 10 days and when she came back she ignored everything I had to say and told me I should be grateful for the financial assistance she had provided, and the opportunities I got moving to a new city (for her). She went and bought a house, in a town so far away and so small I wouldn't be able to live or work there. Then, she clarified that she was breaking up with me, not merely taking a break for a few weeks. She took everything I had had worked for, for us, for herself. I am a ball of impotent rage, anger, pain, grief and betrayal.

I haven't had a drink since September 18, before I found out about any of this. Somehow I'll come out of this stronger and more functional. In the meantime. gently caress. 2020.

rant over.

slothrop fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 28, 2020

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Mooecow posted:

Hi everyone! It has been too long, I mainly lurk these days. The trucks are just too reliable so no new content.

This is a longshot but does anyone know anyone in the Canton, OH area that can look at a car for me? Looking to expand the old car fleet. I'd make the drive myself but I'd have to stay overnight in a hotel and with covid that just sketches me out.

I need to drop something off in Canton, this would be a good excuse to finally do that. What kinda car?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Mooecow posted:

MOOOOOOOOECOW!!!!!!

How the hell are you?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

slothrop posted:

Somehow I'll come out of this stronger and more functional.

Yes you will. :glomp:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

slothrop posted:

Somehow I'll come out of this stronger and more functional. In the meantime. gently caress. 2020.

rant over.

I've uprooted my life for someone who was just stringing me along. It's a lovely, deeply hurtful thing.

But there's nothing to be done about it, and you'll realize that your life never could have turned out any different, and you'll be happier for it.

Keep strong, try to keep off the sauce, and keep chugging forward my man.

If you feel like venting PM me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mooecow posted:

That's an incredible reason for no content, I love your trucks.

slothrop posted:

watch out below for some E/N bullshit.

gently caress. 2020.

rant over.

Christ that's wanton emotional cruelty. Rant as much as you like, I hope there's a point you look back on this as a good change but you have every right to feel bitter and angry.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
AI Goonmeet/houseburning party?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
But I just bought it! :argh: :v:

edit: I'll echo what's said above. It hurts, what she did, but better to accept and move past as you're able to. You'll be a better/stronger person for it, slothrop

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

meatpimp posted:

Good luck!

Good luck with the butt exam.

Good news! There wasn't much there that wasn't supposed to be. One polyp that they're sending off to the lab, but should be harmless, and, for some reason, an undigested pill that got lodged somewhere in there. Otherwise, my digestive bits are fine, which I figured, but good to know for sure, what with Chadwick Boseman dying of colon cancer recently.
Got to take the day off, doctor's orders, got a drug-induced nap in the middle of the day, and got to play Fallout 76 with friends who work nights/odd days all afternoon, so I'm not complaining.

quote:

You listed two of the big stressors, covid getting ready for a huge charge is certainly weighing on me, too. Germany is way, way up, and we were about 3 weeks behind the last round... I just see a lot of ways it can come up bullshit and it's concerning.

I'm fine in the whole "my life has nothing to complain about without seeming like an entitled prick" way, like Somewhat Heroic summarized. I just find myself posting mostly good stuff here and a lot of people fight sadbrains. At this point, we are ALL fighting, and it's okay. It's fucky, but eventually the fuckyness will wear out and things will get better again.

Yeah, I can't complain about my personal situation, but seeing my country (USA) and the world attempt to go to Hell in a handbasket with gusto is disheartening. I'm only 15 or so years away from retirement - I don't want to deal with all this upheaval now. Maybe when I was younger and full of piss and vinegar, but really, probably not even then.

Krakkles posted:

I was thinking the same thing.

Note: I am biased, I have a built XJ which is fun as hell.

I would really like to get another (better than my old one, meaning 4.0 and 4x4, possibly '97+) XJ for truck things. Mildly built, since I realistically won't be off-roading too much.

trouser chili posted:

I'm hardly a religious person but I was married in a church, and consulted with the priest there prior to completing the ceremony and stuff. She said something to us that's stuck with me. She asked if we were dedicated to each other over our own happiness and needs, and like the happy horny couple we were, we eagerly agreed. The priest then asked that we rethink the need to take care of one's self first. Through hammy analogy she regarded that our love is like a well, and if our own well is dry there is no love/water to give to others. So we first had to ensure our own needs were met and satisfied before we could have the capacity to take care of others with the love, care, and attention they deserve from you. Anyway, I'm not very good at it, but there it is.

Not unlike the airlines asking that you get yourself sorted vi-a-vis air masks, etc. before tending to children and infirm. Makes sense to me. Gotta be in decent shape yourself to help others.

Mooecow posted:

Holy poo poo! I can't help you with that, but welcome back!
You know, I noticed the truck in the avatar before your name registered with me. :D

God drat, man. I'm so sorry for you, but you're good to be rid of her, for sure.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Thanks for the warm welcome again. Feels good to be back, just need to get some more projects going. Luckily I got an offer tonight on my '65 Mustang so hopefully that'll clear up a garage bay for my potential next car. Although it feels weird this time, it doesn't have any rust and actually has maintenance records. Maybe I'm going soft.

And since it has been a while, here is a picture of the trucks from last year:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mooecow!

Man, we're only missing Kevbarlas and it'd be like the AI family is back together.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Trouser Chili make a turbo K24 mid engine Accord wagon.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Does it have to still be FWD?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Wrar posted:

Trouser Chili make a turbo K24 mid engine Accord wagon.

You sound like my son. My thought is to add a Tesla drive to the rear. The front engine just runs my air conditioning.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I may have scratched my car itch for a moment. I had kinda given up getting one of these, but a front-end-loader for my garden tractor just begged me to buy it for a very low price. So I did, or rather I will on Saturday.

This is what it値l look like.

I need it for reasons.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I hope one of the reasons is a backyard R/C rock crawing course.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Mooecow posted:

Thanks for the warm welcome again. Feels good to be back, just need to get some more projects going. Luckily I got an offer tonight on my '65 Mustang so hopefully that'll clear up a garage bay for my potential next car. Although it feels weird this time, it doesn't have any rust and actually has maintenance records. Maybe I'm going soft.

And since it has been a while, here is a picture of the trucks from last year:

Such great trucks. One of the best projects on here.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Front end loaders make everything better.

I still dont know why you guys in the US dont run 4 in 1 buckets on your machines.

I'm about ready to throw a grenade into the admin building at work. Tuesday this week my missus had a critical incident at her work (shes director of an out of school hours care group) where a 9yr old kid had a full dissociative psychotic episode and started being violent. Hit my missus once, then laid into his mum for 20 solid minutes, then trashed the room and eventually was tackled and sedated by 6 ambulance officers and a cop. Missus got to watch this poor woman getting beaten for 20 solid minutes with a plastic cricket bat.

Shes traumatised by what shes seen and had to manage- she had to evacuate her other kids and staff, as well as families coming to pick up their kids, ring emergency services, relive it several times doing the incident reports and mandatory reporting... shes pretty messed up, to the point that Tuesday night she woke me up at 4am kicking the poo poo out of me in bed and yelling at me to get away from her in a nightmare, and this morning at 5am she had an anxiety attack about going back to work.

So I'm worrying about her, my friends daughter who we've helped through DV has gone off the rails again, so Im worried bout her and the new antidepressants I'm on are still messing with my brain. Went to work this morning and could not concentrate at all. Couldnt string together a thought, couldnt plan anything, so I told my manager that I was in a bad way and I just needed to do something really basic like being someones assistant or go home.

What I got in response was a roll of his eyes and being dragged into a meeting room where I had my new depression diagnosis questioned because I hadn't delivered him any paperwork about it from the doctors (idiot doesnt understand patient doctor confidentiality in the slightest) and then got the comment of "You let a lot of things get to you, dont you?"

I dunno whether he deserves to be pushed into a wood chipper or drowned in the sewerage plant.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Ferremit posted:

I dunno whether he deserves to be pushed into a wood chipper or drowned in the sewerage plant.

#2 (heh) then #1

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pushed into the chipper and sprayed into the sewerage.

I think you have to narrow your focus a little though, you need to as said upthread, be in a good enough condition yourself to take care of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Gah, what a miserable prick, gently caress.