Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Elmnt80 posted:

I'm having to resist the urge to buy the $12ft tall skelly boi at home depot. I'd leave that poo poo up year round.
I happened to be inside home depot for the first time this year the day those came out. We bought one and strapped him sitting in the back of the Ford. A week later they were sold out around here and someone offered us many times what we paid for it...so now we don't have a 12ft skeleton.

Rhyno posted:

I have joined the "personally know someone who died of Covid " club.
Sorry man :glomp:

Parents drove down with the camper and three dogs from WI and got a nice spot at a camp ground ~15 minutes away. They quarantined before the trip, my youngest brother has been working from home and we've been doing the same. Middle brother and his girlfriend are idiots so they haven't and I know they aren't wearing masks like they're supposed to. Did family photos Sunday night when they rolled into town then hung out with them yesterday afternoon, hanging out with them again today I think. We're outside and I'm distancing what I can but I feel guilty for not wearing a mask, mostly when middle brother is around. Stress of that and socializing for the first time in ~9 months is wearing me the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

meatpimp posted:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90562654/car-design-is-about-to-change-forever-this-video-encapsulates-how

I find myself stuck between wanting what exists, and longing for what is coming. I really liked the Camaro SS convertible that I Turo'd in Hawaii. But as I think about actually buying one, I see the long-term prospects troubling. A Model 3 would be as-fast, or faster. Plus it would have more space and be so much more cost-friendly in the long term (providing Tesla gets their poo poo together, but even if they don't, another company will), and is going to be obsolete in our lifetime.
Cool article. I for one really like electric vehicles, especially for commuting and running errands. I bought the goofy i3 ReX in February and am now up to around 2k miles, I filled it up once in February and once last month...783mpg between fill-ups on 2 gallons of gas and a lot of electricity. I'll always have old, fun ICE cars for the track and weekends but it sure is nice just plugging in when you get home and not worrying about it.

EVSR (https://www.facebook.com/ElectrifyingRacing) has converted what looks like a spec racer ford/renault to electric drive and it looks really well done. I'm going to see if they ever come to south east races and see if I can rent a seat for a weekend. I've done the math for battery capacity/weight/price to have equal performance in a formula ford and it really isn't that bad...especially if I get the cells in bulk overseas or buy used. A couple hot-swap packs and you're set. I guess downside is bringing a larger generator to the track and one gas can instead of small generator and four or more gas cans.

trouser chili posted:

Same. I also own a bunch of guns and never talk about them. Some of them I’ve acquired as trade on cars I’ve flipped. It’s not that uncommon in Missouri, guns are like currency in certain circles round here.
This is very true in TN, I'd guess half the trade offers I get when selling stuff is firearms.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Reuben Sandwich posted:

Well A.I., I'm going to start trying to get my father's '31 Model A coupe rolling again. Would people be interested in the long term affair or is it too old?

Very much interested :justpost:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I miss sleep. I'm up every day at 3-4am for no reason, even on days I go into work I don't leave the house until around 6:15. Sometimes it's back pain, other times it's dogs being assholes and others I'm just wide awake for no reason. On the upside I get some undisturbed gaming time and a couple cups of coffee before I even have to think about getting ready for work.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yep. If $80k will get you a 625hp electrotruck today, I'll be extremely happy if $30-40k would buy a 200-300hp smaller electrotruck without all the suspension bits in another five or ten years.
That would be pretty nice. I've seen a few Ranger EV's pop up but they're always so far away the added cost to ship it cross country makes it not worth buying.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm also hoping that at some point by then they've figured out a reasonable way to solve range-while-towing issues. Until then, [small turbodiesel noises].
Stick a small generator on the nose of the trailer and tow away, probably not worth it for local tows but for long trips it would be. That requires a vehicle that will allow you to drive and charge at the same time, mine won't even shift into drive if plugged in. Hell put a trailer charge port next to the trailer light plug with different rules and you're set.

slothrop posted:

Yeah, I'll be okay, thanks for checking in.
:glomp:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

The vast majority of my towing is local and short range so realistically it's not something I'd need often. But one of the reasons we bought this truck was to be able to haul a trailer from Phoenix to Flagstaff, which is ~150 miles one way and a net climb of ~6000 feet, with at least two major climbs in between. I expect EV range would be utterly murdered on that road.

A trailer alone is going to kill your range, add in elevation and even with massive regen on the downhills you'd either be looking for a quick charger or need some form of range extender. Regenerative trailer brakes would be an interesting option as long as it doesn't add too much weight, heck the trailer could carry some batteries as well. I have the range extender in the i3 and it's really nice to have the few times I've needed it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

kastein posted:

I wear a p100 half face mask to go to home depot for this reason. And if I actually was going into a workplace every day for 8 hours I'd be wearing a PAPR or at least a full face respirator to do so.

I just started going back into work in the last couple weeks, only one or two days to minimize risk. I and everyone else in the area wear masks the entire time but I'm the only one in a N95. With cases nationwide going back up way too quickly I'm about to call it again and go back to only WFH. I hate it, we could have been past this poo poo or at least in a way better position but instead we're just getting lazy and stupider about it because everyone is so worn down by this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Those are some great looking trucks

Ferremit posted:

... depression
It's hard for people that haven't ever dealt with it to comprehend how bad it can be but they should at least pretend to care, sounds like your boss is a dick about everything though. I had no idea until I had some medicine induced depression that crept up on me slowly. I'm glad I realized it and stopped taking the stuff before it got real bad because holy poo poo I had no idea.

Last day of vacation. It's been nice ignoring social media and the world for the most part. A lot less stressed than when we set off Sunday morning. I'd be nearly stress free if it wasn't for the dog sitter being iffy at communicating and me worrying about the drat dogs the entire time. He's a good guy and a friend but :argh: I did not want to be worried about them the entire trip. We'd have a brother watch them, four between us, but the only one we'd trust lives two hours away and has to visit customer sites so he can't be fully WFH.