Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Had to say goodbye to two great workmates this week, one took early retirement and wants to keep in touch on Facebook, the other took the decision to leave because work is becoming a head gently caress. He's going to drop off the face of the earth and probably end up as a bicycle mechanic in Cornwall because he doesn't do any sort of electronic communication, phone or text included. I'm really going to miss them both and told them so and I had the Cornish one in tears when I said that and told him he's taught me a lot in the last 13 years and to take care of himself.

Then because toxic masculinity is a cool and good thing I've had no less than 5 people take the piss about "acting like a woman". I loving hate people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

My kids are driving me insane. Sill love 'em.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've got to say though my son is going to high school next year (holy gently caress by the way when did that happen) and the other night they did an online/virtual open evening. It was really well done and he is really looking forward to it, couldn't stop talking about the DT lab with the printers, laser cutters, lathes etc, I think he could really enjoy this. Hope I can keep up and he continues to cope so well with his condition.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nice to see the price breakdown as well. Little chance I could afford even that sort of racing but that's why we live vicariously through others right?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

[Whole lot of fine looking dudes in AI btw :heysexy:]

STR posted:

Yuuuuuuuuuup. Then you have the old farts club that I belong to.

Definitely not posting a selfie, don't think my ego could handle finding out which group I'm in.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

everdave posted:

Freaking the smell guy always gets it man

You alright buddy?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

bolind posted:

Guys, I need some advice.

Last Christmas, my loving but not always terribly strategic wife got us both a DNA test. I believe it's with myheritagedna but I'll have to check. She just got the boxes, we haven't actually provided any samples yet.

It's becoming a little bit of a political hot potato. I don't mind spitting in a jar and learning that, yes, I am in fact very, very Scandinavian, but I would mind if my DNA ended up in some foreign database somewhere, and I'm not terribly interested in facebook messages from long lost illegitimate cousins-thrice-removed. What's the consensus on this?

You have absolutely nothing to gain and your data will immediately be sold and potentially used against you at some point. Don't.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Holy Jesus gently caress somebody sliced their goddamned fingers off

Edit: okay technically still attached by some fleshy bits.

Hope insurance or whatever takes care of it, I hear they can do impressive things these days.

Y'all taking about gigabit internet or whatever and I'm in a loving prefab trying to get this ancient loving motion controller fucker to loving boot.

Don't dox me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

kastein posted:

At least it's... Obsolete pci not ISA

No luckily I got to go office space on the ISA stuff 10 years ago. I just have to limp this through until next summer and this is the backup so y'know, might not actually need it (lol)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Edit: I've been into cars for over 40 years. Time to look to something different. There is a revolution just starting to peek it's head up and I'm all about it. Electric vehicles are superior to ICE vehicles. AI or not. Here's a thought:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90562654/car-design-is-about-to-change-forever-this-video-encapsulates-how

Yes there's a potential for a revolution and I'm trying to keep an open mind about the ways that future will look, things like this are interesting and I welcome the return of the custom coach-built vehicle.
But in-wheel motors are not a great idea in the real world, too much vibration and impact. Put some fat tyres between them and the road maybe.
I think large scale 3d printing and other additive manufacturing will dovetail neatly with tech like this too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'd hazard a guess homelessness and mental illness are both symptoms of the end result of capitalism.

E: just watched Kung Fu hustle and feel I should have tidied the garage and not wasted my time instead.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Hey, I *liked* Kung Fu Hustle. Just as pure silly fun, mind you - don't look for deep meaning or life solutions.

I've seen that explanation of the "eye of a needle", as well. Not a clue as to veracity, but it does smell like waffling.

I think I probably simply wasn't in the mood.

And I watched a program that put forward the theory that a rich man commissioned an ornate stone gate (named the needle) into a city specifically so that he could rules layer his way into heaven.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

the spyder posted:

I can not remember the last time I stayed up for 48 hours straight on pure adrenaline. Slept 7 hours while a friend stayed over "just in case". Looks like we are in the clear as far as safety goes. I've spent more time talking to CPS in the last two days than I ever want to moving forward.

:stare: No good deed goes unpunished

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sounds like self care *spends the evening drinking rum playing stardew valley*

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

How long are the cables? Just don't take it out the freezer :haw:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Imagine paying hundreds of dollars for pretty colored bits of plastic.

Yeah that's like a billion different hobbies there, hell I just shortcut it and buy the rolls of plastic myself now :haw:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I can't summon the effort to write it all out but the GP has hosed with my son's meds again, we're on track to spend 1 week every month fighting with someone who won't let you come in in person, won't answer emails and won't answer the phone until we raise enough hell with the local trust to get them to call us back. This time we need them to reissue his prescription as a repeat, then we'll start fighting to get it raised again from the absolute minimum to what the endo said we should have. Also 'rona is tearing through where I work and they're playing down like it's all under control like a hosed up little microcosm of this hosed up little country. We're all just pretending to plan for the future as if we loving have one like we're painting this eggshell thin veneer of normalcy over a loving incursion from hell.

It's rather upsetting to say the least.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

Then I read CS Lewis and got sober and sort of realized that it has kind of always been this way on Earth more or less. I don't know why but that's really comforting to me.

Ah, nihilism?

Elmnt80 posted:

I suggest punching people in the dick/cooch/balls/butt/tits/face/etc

Sounds good I'm in.

quote:

until they stop jacking around with the meds. (Is there a way to switch GPs since he isn't acting in your son's best interests?)

Oh okay. No one's taking switches at the moment, and this is better than the last GP who as soon as he got the prescription through said we'd have to wean him off the meds quickly because they're not good for you long term. I mean, being dead is even worse right?

On the plus side I watched ready player one and really really enjoyed it, then watched it with my son who really really enjoyed it, :3: then finally found my copy of Constantine which I've been wanting to watch forever so there's that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

What sucks is there's one large trash can for yard trimmings, and I've already filled it twice and there's still a large pile on the side of the house. It only gets emptied every two weeks, which really means I'm going to have to go pay $20 a truckload to get rid of what I cut out of this yard until it's manageable. Otherwise I lose motivation because I have nowhere to put what I trim.

Don't you have a selection of wagons or are they all too nice to fill with yard trimmings?

Just went to the shops, looked at the mostly unmasked queue crowd milling around and came straight back home. I have no social life so I'll wait until it's less busy to pick up essentials. People are panic buying again because of the tier nonsense and on the local Facebook group loads of them are asking whether we line in one area or the other because they're all idiots who don't know where they loving live (hint, it's who you pay your council tax to, or the name of the area you live in, or just ton put your postcode into the government website)

I need a second laptop, we have one lovely fujitsu made awesome with an SSD but if one of the kids wants to play Minecraft or go on tinkercad I can't do any 3d printer stuff myself or shop for project materials. I narrowly missed out on a £200 refurb Lenovo t430, any other suggestions or recommendations? I'll throw extra ram and an SSD at it if that's limited but I want something solid with a decent screen.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

What's that orbital cleanup anime with the realistic mechanics I remember being mentioned?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

trouser chili posted:

A pair of XJ Cherokees - Speaking of redundancy, can't have just one! This would be fun cause me and my son could offroad together with pair.

This stands out to me, plus you could spend a whole lot less on these plus basic upgrades than on an NSX, and have no problem moving them when you're done.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That makes me feel less guilty about trying to put money aside for a bike for my own entertainment/enjoyment.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Either 40 yr old CB125T or brand new CB125F :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Oh a bike bike! Yeah awesome!

Oh yeah I'm too much of a lardass to go anywhere at speed without assistance

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mooecow posted:

Hi everyone! It has been too long, I mainly lurk these days. The trucks are just too reliable so no new content.

That's an incredible reason for no content, I love your trucks.

slothrop posted:

watch out below for some E/N bullshit.

gently caress. 2020.

rant over.

Christ that's wanton emotional cruelty. Rant as much as you like, I hope there's a point you look back on this as a good change but you have every right to feel bitter and angry.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pushed into the chipper and sprayed into the sewerage.

I think you have to narrow your focus a little though, you need to as said upthread, be in a good enough condition yourself to take care of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

BuckyDoneGun posted:

NZ voted in favour of euthanasia 65.2% vs 33.8% but against legal weed 53.1 vs 46.1. 2020 continues the rampage of suck.

Life won't suck less but you can leave when you want.