Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It'd probably be faster if I walked my laptop across the room and plugged it into the router, but :effort:

I dig the symmetrical up/down though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

After years of insisting that 3D printers are garbage, I finally got one. I think it's a Monoprice Make Select Plus -- it was $50 from a guy on Craigslist who couldn't figure out how to use it. I think I'm the third owner. Haven't dug into it yet, but I'll clean and lube it tomorrow and see if I can't make it move under its own power.

A friend of mine's only comment was "Be careful I hear they catch fire".

3D printers are still garbage, but considering I paid $50 I can walk away from it if it proves being too much of a headache ... and maybe pay real money for a Prusa Mini

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ranzear posted:

There are better benchmark/troubleshooting prints than Benchy, particularly because even the cheapest printers should have no issue with its overhangs anymore. It's just a meme these days.

This was a cheap printer in 2017. It moves and extrudes, but my settings in Cura are way off. Benchy is still a challenge.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

This was a cheap printer in 2017. It moves and extrudes, but my settings in Cura are way off. Benchy is still a challenge.

I found myself asking if the random rolls of filament that came with the thing were actually PLA. The answer was no -- it was 3D pen filament that melts around 100c as opposed to 200c.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

slidebite posted:

I like the idea of a bidet, but I do not like the idea of icy cold tap water :(

I wasn't able to plumb mine in to the hot water, so it's cold-only for me. It's bracing and surprising at first, but once you're used to it it's quite refreshing

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My last company was a very small startup. I was the 4th hire, and we grew to 40ish people before I left. For the last ~year of my employ there, I told them time and again that they needed someone to focus on their infrastructure, and I volunteered to be that person. In January, for a number of reasons, I left. It's vindicating to see that they've finally posted a job opening for Devops Manager. I considered applying as a joke, but it's not worth the effort.

In other news, I'm really enjoying this used 3D printer I got. I put Octoprint on a Raspberry Pi I had kicking around, and I'm having a lot of fun just letting it do its thing on the shelf near my desk. Now I need to model a spice rack for the kitchen to justify the space it takes up.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

"long covid"

Whoever comes up with these names could not have picked a funnier name for being stricken with a set of debilitating chronic symptoms that, who knows?, might last for the rest of someone's life.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

TEMs are only free because they're gigantic and a pain in the rear end to set up and use (I should know. I once got a free TEM). People who would buy used electron microscopes actually want SEMs. Those are the ones that, like, let you look at a fruitfly's armpits.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

everdave posted:

Tomorrow I can getting the kids to bed...thank you! I have a $7 24.5 diameter Chinese special in my cart at eBay that seems to be the most common listing. Will post a pic tomorrow!

24.5mm seems likely. 31.8mm is the other likely candidate -- it's more common in adult road bikes and mountain bikes, but my bike has a 25.4mm bar.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I crashed a motorcycle in 2011 and again in 2014 and that left me with collapsed joints in my left ankle. I dealt with it until this year, saw a surgeon, and we're planning to fuse my left ankle joint literlaly next week, setting me up for three months of recovery. That'd be all well and good, only my *right* foot decided it wasn't getting enough love and now it's dizzyingly painful trying to bear any weight on it. Teledoc thinks it's just tendinitis that's going to resolve itself, but I can't take anything stronger than tylenol because the plan is that I'm still getting surgery next week.

it sucks. I want to walk, not have both feet out of commission. There's a ton of stuff I want to do around the house to get ready for surgery, but I can't even do dishes like this. It's terribly frustrating.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

I doubt you're dumb if you made it through life this far, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in evaluations from a long time ago. I'm pretty sure any psych evaluation I would have had when I was 10 would be A LOT different than one now. And FWIW, I've seen less intelligent people who are disciplined and work hard do a lot better in life than smart but unfocused and lazy people.

I've asked this before in the monthly chat thread but I just want to confirm I have this right, Brother laser printers are the consensus when buying a new printer? I'm about to throw my Epson in the trash but I need to replace it ASAP because covid means I'm working from home for the foreseeable future.

Brothers are well regarded, as are HP's nowadays. I wound up with an HP color laser because I'm a precious snowflake and want my printouts duplexed and in color

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My right foot was swollen like a balloon last night and I couldn't walk. Doctor friend told me to take 4 ibuprofen every 6 hours a total of four times. Now my foot is deflated, but it feels super bruised. I can walk around my apartment though, so that's good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Edit: moving this from the False October thread to the True November thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946202