Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Shouts to our national parks. Funny you mention them, I just read this tweet. 3 hours from the carpark on an 8 hour walk in the Coromandel - anti COVID measures installed. Top work, DoC.

https://twitter.com/lukechristensen/status/1312647426675666944

We try! Although i know for a fact the discussion would have started with a manager suggesting that a maintenance staff member had to hike out there and sanitise the stairs every day and after a lot of arguing that would be the solution that the works crews came up with...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Humphreys posted:

I wandered over the neighbours house when I heard swearing and shed lights on:

This MAY have been an idea I came up with while drinking beers. But didn't expect it to actually be put into place trying to fit springs and spacers into a Prado:

Errrr..... Undo the loving shock absorber that’s the suspension limiting strap? 😳

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Meanwhile I’m paying AU$105 a month for 100/40, which was the highest speed until recently. Now for the moderate sum of $150 a month I can get 1000/50.....

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I’ve had the cops do a firearms inspection on my place and it was a totally painless experience. They just wanted to know that my firearms are in a safe, not just laying around, that the keys aren’t kept in plain sight and no one else knows where they are and that your stuff is actually stored properly.

Guy spent more time talking bout hunting and what I had than actually doing the inspection. Tho these are Australian cops, so your mileage may vary in places where your police force is less..... professional...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I use profanity as punctuation... it’s just a bit of a thing that’s come out of the workgroups I’ve been in for the last nearly 20 years, but even for me you have to properly upset me to drop the C bomb. Usually it’s my manager and at the moment it’s basically on a daily basis.

It’s funny the difference in use of language tho- here in Australia if you call someone a c*** your often referring to your mates, but if you call someone mate, you probably consider them to be a c***!

Also, have fun with your insults- instead of telling your idiot coworker to go gently caress himself, tell him to go fist himself!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

slothrop posted:

fuuuucckkk me.

From an Aussie: Trump is great because he's always surrounded by beautiful women and he's got a fews kids you know strong family values. Not like that facist war criminal Joe Biden.

:psyboom:

Australians who support trump confuse the gently caress out of me? Our current mob of leaders are loving morons- why would you want to latch yourself onto an even BIGGER moron?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Hooray! I failed the rapid mental health assessment at my doctors, so I've got a follow up next week with a pile of self assessment forms to fill out so we can talk about my depression in more depth!

And theres so much poo poo going on thats feeding it at the moment. Things like my job where I didnt even get to park my car yesterday before my manager was getting stuck into me about poo poo that we did for a very legit reason (we have to chip the old koala gum twice a week- Monday and Friday, except we got a request for a full load of fresh chip for a bird aviary for tuesday this week, so we didnt chip friday to make sure we had enough and he got stuck into me for not doing my job...)

I dont have kids, but my missus is a teacher and shes brought home plague from school and given it to me, and now it feels like im eating glass, my voice is almost gone and my sinus' feel like ive inhaled a bag of flour.

And my mates daughter who im supporting through her recovery from Domestic Violence is going off the rails. She looks like shes given up on trying to make things better and just sits at home and smokes weed and plays games or watches youtube all day. She doesnt support her dad at all who works a 9am-6pm shift for 9 days straight, and all hes asking is basic stuff like "Clean the cat litter" and "Do the dishes" and she wont do that, and gets really angry and aggressive when he asks her about doing it. He unloaded on me about it last night because we're mates and we actually talk about our emotions and told me a whole pile of things she had been doing that were very different to what she told me she was doing.

Im willing to help anyone, but I really struggle to find the motivation to help someone if they're not honest with me. I raised it all with her and she flipped her lid, got angry with me and then went off to hide at her lunatic mothers place (shes a solid chunk of the reason why the daughter has the anxiety and depression in the first place) and now is saying that shes lost all faith in me and feels like we're all ganging up on her. I originally told her i was there to hold her hand through the whole process of her recovery, but i wasnt going to carry her through it.

Dad thinks she starting to fall into a rebound relationship with an ex of hers that recently broke up with his long term partner, and they originally broke up because he was more interested in getting drunk and playing games than actually being with her, so if that happens its going to go about as well as an early 80's Russian nuclear power plant test.

I just feel like I've been used right now. its like I wasnt willing to bend over backwards and make her do nothing and magically get better so shes just ditched me and moved onto the next sucker. I dunno what to do.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

slothrop posted:

That's a whole load of suck. I hope the Doc gives you some time away from work. Don't be afraid to take some anti-depressants if the doc thinks that what it best. If your GP is dragging their feet or doesn't seem sympathetic to you, absolutely go to a different GP. I had an awful experience the first time I sought help.

Please get a mental health plan from the GP so you can get some subsidised time with a psychologist. I believe it's been extended to 20 sessions due to COVID. I'm up to my tenth and I'm very glad for the extra ten they have added this year.

Between the meds, the psychologist, giving up drinking and a few other lifestyle changes, I am so far ahead of where I was a few months ago.

It will take time, it will be hard but ultimately it's worth it in the long run. Mental illness is no joke, but it's like any other kind of sickness. You'll most likely get better if you treat it correctly.

Fortunately my doc is absolutely poo poo hot on mental health. I went to her complaining about struggling to get to sleep and she was digging for the root cause pretty much immediately.

The last bit is true and I'm keen to get this poo poo back under control. Pity I dont seem to be able to get my friends daughter to feel the same way at this point.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Laying in a steaming hot bath, getting half cut on makers mark and singing at the top of your lungs to Pearl Jam is perfectly normal behaviour for 5 in the afternoon on a Friday isn’t it?

I think my depression is at the helm again

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Front end loaders make everything better.

I still dont know why you guys in the US dont run 4 in 1 buckets on your machines.

I'm about ready to throw a grenade into the admin building at work. Tuesday this week my missus had a critical incident at her work (shes director of an out of school hours care group) where a 9yr old kid had a full dissociative psychotic episode and started being violent. Hit my missus once, then laid into his mum for 20 solid minutes, then trashed the room and eventually was tackled and sedated by 6 ambulance officers and a cop. Missus got to watch this poor woman getting beaten for 20 solid minutes with a plastic cricket bat.

Shes traumatised by what shes seen and had to manage- she had to evacuate her other kids and staff, as well as families coming to pick up their kids, ring emergency services, relive it several times doing the incident reports and mandatory reporting... shes pretty messed up, to the point that Tuesday night she woke me up at 4am kicking the poo poo out of me in bed and yelling at me to get away from her in a nightmare, and this morning at 5am she had an anxiety attack about going back to work.

So I'm worrying about her, my friends daughter who we've helped through DV has gone off the rails again, so Im worried bout her and the new antidepressants I'm on are still messing with my brain. Went to work this morning and could not concentrate at all. Couldnt string together a thought, couldnt plan anything, so I told my manager that I was in a bad way and I just needed to do something really basic like being someones assistant or go home.

What I got in response was a roll of his eyes and being dragged into a meeting room where I had my new depression diagnosis questioned because I hadn't delivered him any paperwork about it from the doctors (idiot doesnt understand patient doctor confidentiality in the slightest) and then got the comment of "You let a lot of things get to you, dont you?"

I dunno whether he deserves to be pushed into a wood chipper or drowned in the sewerage plant.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

Pushed into the chipper and sprayed into the sewerage.

I think you have to narrow your focus a little though, you need to as said upthread, be in a good enough condition yourself to take care of others.

Yeah, This is definitely something the missus and I are working on atm. The new antidepressants are brilliant, they've helped me a heap, but im still in the "What side effect is it going to be today?" stage, which is still messing with my brain.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

slothrop posted:

I'm really sorry you have to deal with this shitstain, it's unacceptable.

I'm glad the antidepressants are working for you, gently caress the side effects though, I know that feeling! My dick hasnt worked properly for months.

Its a loving cracker of a ride. I had hallucinations the first night I took them- It looked like I was in a swarm of fire flies with all the lights dancing in my vision, I've had the random dick breakage, The foggy brain, The woolly brain, the confused brain, I've got a brand new tremor in my left hand that kinda freaks people out if I dont explain what it is and I have a huge amount of problems controlling my body temp- Even the slightest exertion will make me sweat like a pig. I made the bed the other day and literally had sweat dripping off me from it. In a 16 degree room!

Its been totally worth it though. I'm more pleasant to be around, I have motivation to actually do things again, work on my own projects and I'm no longer feeling like Im just putting one foot in front of the other to exist.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Darchangel posted:

First answer would be "what is a 4-in-1 bucket?"

It’s a clamshell style bucket

https://youtu.be/jauUkLrF9Nc

Makes tractors and skid steers 100 times more versitile. Downside is that the bucket is heavier so your overall lift capacity gets cut.

quote:

You did at least tell him to go gently caress himself, right? Or call him a c-word? Both?
I have no idea how I would handle that, or what your wife went through. Probably badly.

I wouldn't have been polite about it. I have certainly career limited myself before over lesser things, so...

I’ve just kept my mouth shut. There’s a few of us getting ready to throw a bullying and harassment case at him via the union now.

I mostly don’t have the energy to even engage with the fucktard

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

rdb posted:

Most tractors don’t get optioned with an extra hydraulic function on the loader. You can, but for some reason the take rate is really low in the US. When I bought my NH powerstar 120 there were a couple dozen 100-120hp CNH tractors within an hour drive, only one had the factory installed third function. Unfortunately, it’s impossible to add the factory kit outside of the factory on these. John Deere and Kubota were the same, almost everything on the lot has a loader, next to none with the third function.

Eventually I will plumb up a diverter and add it myself.

90% of the machines I’ve seen here for tractors just use a diverter valve on the roll hydraulics to do the 3rd function with a button on the joystick. Most skid steers already have Aux hydraulics to run them anyway.

That’s all the 4in1 on the 4049M we just got is run on- diverter valve with a push button on the stick. It’s awesome to be able to just pick poo poo up by crunching it

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

trouser chili posted:

I'm super jealous of a backhoe. I kinda need to replace part of my sewer main and would just loving love it if I could do the job myself. I think maybe one or two have been fabbed-up for the 400-series tractors, but I gotta imagine they're a little on the small side. Do you have any idea how Kubota parts availability and pricing is compared to Deere? Cause Deere is stupid proud of its parts.

The kubota backhoes on their little tractors are good, but they’re not really that great. The machine isn’t really heavy enough to anchor it down properly so you end up hauling yourself into your own hole if the grounds hard digging and they really don’t have the power to really get stuck in.

The ones they bolt to the back of the L4600 machines tho are basically just their 3 tonne excavator booms on a tractor and they’re monsters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

rdb posted:

Day started off ok...

Got a lot mowed, but I didn’t quit while I was ahead.

Hmmm...

Going to give that a week to dry out and order a kinetic rope in the mean time. Any sizing recommendations on that? I would guess the tractor and bat wing weigh 20,000 lbs.

Drop the implement and see if the machine will walk out without the extra weight and drag of the batwing, then once your back up on the harder ground just loop the PTO shaft up out of the way with rope and skull drag the slasher out.

Also what tyre PSI you running and are they water ballasted? I've run our big New Holland T6010 Delta down at 6psi all round to get maximum flotation and grip in really soft steep country before.

We've had our T6010 tractor sunk down to the frame before, then got a Massey 3095 spun out trying to get that out, and then had to use two landcruisers to winch out the Massey and wait a fortnight to get the New Holland back.

The farm guys on youtube all seem to use Yankum ropes for their tractor recovery stuff and some of them (Like welker farms and fastAG are pulling out some absolutely STUPIDLY big heavy stuff thats got stuck before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOv1KQo4sOE&t=131s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXjpiD1zNHU