Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

big dong wanter posted:

Got out of the shower and decided to check my social media before getting dressed and I fuckin sat on myself. Holy poo poo it's fuckin agony. IF YOU ARE A NAKED BALLS HAVER DOUBLE CHECK BEFORE SITTING DOWN.

My solution to that is having tiny man bits.

Rhyno posted:

I'm also really close to ending a friendship over their overinvestment in the idea that GOD and THE CHURCH should be running America.

What boggles my mind is how they equate GOD and THE CHURCH with REPUBLICANS, somehow. Republicans are some of the least "Godly" people in practice to ever exist, at least insofar as what the New Testament *actually says*.

Mustache Ride posted:

Are people really ending friendships based on political leaders and presidents who only exist for 4-8 years?

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah i bet they wont be fascist shitheads anymore as soon as trump leaves office

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, when you find out they feel like they can be massively racist shitheads all of sudden since the President is one. So no consequences right?

Exactly that. Trump makes them feel that it's safe to express their true, inner views. Maybe we should thank him for outing all the Nazis, misogynists, and racists?

It is September for 6.75 more hours in the Central Time Zone.

Cage posted:

wonder how the gently caress *insert idiot here* hasnt been reprogrammed with a baseball bat.
In the case of the US, the Secret Service.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I love Bernie too, but you’re dreaming. No one, short of reanimating Daddy Trump, who I suspect would have him cowering, can shut him up, the format sucks, turn his drat mic off at least.

Debates need a moderator with balls, otherwise they're just idiots shouting at each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I know this, she does not. She's never had to excise a poo poo family member before, let alone 7 of them all at once. For now the compromise is i dont have to go see them and they are not welcome in my house.

Well, that's a start, at least. If she doesn't talk to them for fairly long periods for a while, she will most likely realize that she doesn't miss them...

Edit: Holy gently caress, I just realized that the thread title is quote from me. Awesome. I'm honored!

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 30, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

trouser chili posted:

Not a daughter but the sentiment is the same regardless. If there is any one thing I like about the pandemic it's that I'm getting a lot of family time. My son is 16, a junior in high school. Only about a year and a half left....

That photo makes me happy. Good kid! :D

Liquid Communism posted:

Yep.

When someone goes fully mask-off and tells you who they are, you believe them.

Related to this, I was reading my daily summary from The Times yesterday, which covered the Proud Boys shout out by Trump. I couldn't contain myself, and posted the article link and exactly what I thought about Trump and White Supremacist shitheads. I may have just triggered some friends, but, pursuant to the conversation here the last few days, if I did, they're not really "friends" you want, are they? I really debated posting my thoughts, but in the end, y'all made me realize that it needed to be done. May be able to clear out my friends list a bit. I'll be honest, though, I haven't been back on FB to see the damage. I kicked the anthill and ran away. Maybe I actually made someone think about their choice of President, though I doubt it. I mainly wanted to be clear about where I stand to family and friends.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

I saw that post. It went about how I expected.

I also now know who big dong wanter is on fb which might be the first time that's been true in like, 5 or 6 years? I don't know. I added a bunch of AI people on there years ago without actually realizing who they were and have been wondering ever since.

I’m stunned that it hasn’t attracted more attention, and not sadly surprised at who it did attract. I’ve already got those two guys set so I don’t see their posts on my feed, not that I really even look any more. I wish I could get my mom to see around her single-issue mindset. Abortion isn’t going to matter much when we’re all either destitute or embroiled in WW3.

And when we i learn who is who with regards to FB vs. AI, I have a cheat sheet. I kid you not.

Also, I need a “Shut up, man” tshirt.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

:siren: Trump has covid.

Holy poo poo - so much for it being a hoax and "masks aren't needed." So much schadenfreude.
There's only one thing that would make it better...

MomJeans420 posted:

Let's just hope Stephen Miller managed to catch it as well.

Mitch McConnell. gently caress that guy with a flaming razor dick.

Rhyno posted:

It's a hoax. He's going to recover with no long term problems to convince his base he's been right about Covid the whole time.

rdb posted:

Hydroxychloroquine will be the cure, and 99% survive blah blah blah. Science will die in this country.

I honestly fear this, though.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm here to tell you that bad things happening to truly lovely humans is not something you should feel bad about enjoying.

There's even a word for it (see above.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Um... If McCain has something to say, 2020 just got *very* interesting.

edit: I mean, more so. In the Chinese proverb sense.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

Please join me in praying for the president.
Exodus 20:4
Exodus 20:14
Exodus 20:15
Exodus 20:16
Exodus 20:17
Psalm 109:8
Ezekiel 11:6
Ezekiel 3:18
Ezekiel 5:8
Ezekiel 7:3

Amen

:drat:
Savage. Especially those last two. I really wish I knew the Bible backwards and forward so I can smackdown Fundie quoters.

everdave posted:

Haven’t seen anyone mention this new thing from the Binky guys, pretty interesting so far and 2 episodes in 2 weeks was cool. Wish they had ever finished the other stuff.

It's been posted on the Awesome Stuff thread as they came out.
The Bargain Racement is just for during C19, when they can't get some things done on Binky.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I finally cut my beard over the weekend. Was about a foot long. Just got tired of it being in the way, and a little worried about it getting snatched in a grinder or something. Hair is still going, though. I look like a 50-year-old Jesus.

We had some neat stuff show up at our monthly RX-7 meet on Saturday.

For once, mine wasn't the only AE86:

GTS! Mine has an interior, though.

This one was neat. And '80 with a Holley-carbed 13B, and GALS-SE suspension (and wheels):

(The paint is an effect the owner wanted.)

This one is an '84-5, but probably not really a GSL-SE, since it has a 12A and the 13" wheels:

Huh. I didn't get an engine pic of that one. Basically looks like the '80, but it's a 12A.
Both of those cars had RX-8 seats, which are nice.

A really well-done FC:

Most interesting, though, was this thing:

It sounded so wrong pulling up, but so right:

If you guessed that the two first gens and the B2000 were Puerto Ricans, you know your RX-7 fans. Guys were cool, and loved talking about the cars even through a mild language barrier.

There were more cars there - an extremely clean, very stock FD, a couple more FCs, etc. I was super miserly with my photos. I should have gotten pictures of the the very clean 280ZX and the early 300Z, though. They were neat. The Z31 is in the pic with the AE86, but it's not really visible. It's supposed to be a "rotary" meet, but there's typically so few of us, and so few casual meets for older imports that we're happy to have them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Isn’t it, though? The Boys claim they don’t understand why, since they’re fine with gay folks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Get your "Trump Defeats COVID" commemorative coin before they're gone!

https://www.whitehousegiftshop.com/product-p/trump-defeats-covid.htm

Ugh, I made the mistake of reading some of the "Note from the designer."

Sorry for you folk who have lost people due to COVID. I'm not sure how I've escaped knowing anyone who died yet.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

Speaking of, the Q Anon stuff has gotten way bigger than I could have ever imagined. Just looking into it at a glance there are huge groups devoted to it. Completely insane considering it originated from a series of 4chan posts in 2015 that were specifically designed to troll boomers with no internet acumen that were coming onto the site for political takes.

I knew QAnon was conspiracy theory bullshit, but I had no idea it came from 4chan of all places. I wonder if any of the adherents would continue to believe if they were made to understand that (which would be a difficult enough task - they just scream "fake news" at anything they don't want to hear.)

Speaking of, an aunt of mine replied to my FaceBook post regarding Trump and the Proud Boys, mentioning fake news. I just replied that she could stop talking right there, since she had just destroyed any credibility she had at that point just by invoking the concept. I don't wish to alienate family, but I'm not putting up with that poo poo any more. Sadly, since I'm 51, all my aunts and uncles are Boomers, and we're a Catholic family, so I have a bunch.
I really cannot fathom the mindset that praises Trump and his actions.Especially when you're middle-class working folks, like that aunt I mentioned is. FYGM doesn't translate well when you ain't got yours.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Edie Van Halen is dead, gently caress 2020

Well, poo poo.
gently caress cancer, too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Humphreys posted:

After a number of years, finally got the GM workshop Virtual Machine up and running to aide with my fiddling...

I should do that. I've got a GM Service Info from like 2005, I think it is. Came in handy a few times. Got it when we had a 2000 Astro. I thought about trying to get it to work on Win10, but a (Windows 7? XP?) VM is a much better idea, since it needs Apache and some other specific stuff.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I think I’m the only other one here with a JDM Infiniti - 2006 Fuga 450GT. Nissan tragics are a dying breed.

That's a good looking car. M45 in the US, I think? Always liked those and the G35/37. Like the Gs better than the Z, actually.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Maybe the guy didn't know, but also didn't give a gently caress.
I've had a lot of people proposition me, and not take "but I'm not gay" as an excuse.

Can't help it you're just pretty and sexy, right?
Not that I would know what that feels like.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

everdave posted:

Freaking the smell guy always gets it man

I know what you mean, but that’s funny.

Real talk: they didn’t have a choice in it. The states finally decided that there was no longer a mail order exemption, or enough states did, anyway, so here we are. The rise of online retailers and the decline of brick and mortar meant the states were feeling left out of potential $$, and we can’t have that, now, can we?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

"6 pack and a backrub"

.... that's how my ex has managed to get me in bed more times than I'd like to admit since the breakup. :saddowns:

6 pack of what? This is critical.

quote:

Both Darchangel and Charlie have met me IRL, they both can confirm I'm far from pretty and sexy. :v:

I'm not really qualified to judge, but I can say you are at least not repugnant. :D

cursedshitbox posted:

Always be busting rearends. Enough about Jeep ownership though.

Nice.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I feel called out by the sizing on the box.
I mean, I'm under 15" considerably under.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That mother loving Outback I've been waging war against for months?

IT STARTED.

I HAVE PROOF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dpNytEeiNY

(Not shown - the first time it fired up and the smoke cloud was far, far worse......)

I thought you gave up on that thing.
What turned out to be the no-start issue?

Kivi posted:

Don't do those DNA tests, they're just data farming you.

Anyone know a USB to SATA adapter for a 5.25" disk drive? I'm out of SATA ports on my desktop, I have a working drive, and plenty of SATA power connectors. What should I search on eBay/Ali/whatever.

Check the Ali Express thread. They've been great about recommending adapters and such.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Edit: I've been into cars for over 40 years. Time to look to something different. There is a revolution just starting to peek it's head up and I'm all about it. Electric vehicles are superior to ICE vehicles. AI or not. Here's a thought:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90562654/car-design-is-about-to-change-forever-this-video-encapsulates-how

Edit2: Yeah, I've been drinking, but seriously... that is the distillation of a car. You don't need steering linkage, or power steering, or cooling anywhere near an ICE scale, or anything more than rudimentary brakes (assuming that regen braking can be developed properly). That structure is what a car is. A chassis, a means of propulsion, and fuel. Everything else is comfort.

I find myself stuck between wanting what exists, and longing for what is coming. I really liked the Camaro SS convertible that I Turo'd in Hawaii. But as I think about actually buying one, I see the long-term prospects troubling. A Model 3 would be as-fast, or faster. Plus it would have more space and be so much more cost-friendly in the long term (providing Tesla gets their poo poo together, but even if they don't, another company will), and is going to be obsolete in our lifetime.

Everything is fucky right now, but god drat, there's promise on the horizon that we shouldn't lose track of.

I love the sound of a V8, or even a good 4 or 6, but it's hard to argue with the performance of a good EV, and how well the torque characteristics of an electric motor pair up with what is actually needed in a vehicle.
I look forward very much to near drop-in drivetrain replacements for classics. Sure, keep a few stock and restored, just like we already do, but I want to drive the old stuff without destroying the world. Right now, conversions are more expensive than anything but hoo-boy HP fossil drivetrains, but those prices should come down. I would love to EV one of my non-running RX-7s so... all of them, currently. It would seem appropriate, somehow, even if the lack of ear-splitting angry bees would be wrong.

I have guns too and would like some more :)

I dig guns, and grew up around them (dad and uncles hunt,) but they are expensive toys, so I only have a couple myself.

Krakkles posted:

I believe I’m supposed to laugh at the idea of needing a license

... but that actually makes a ton of sense, my state already does it, and I would vote for it federally

Same. Even before the Republicans pushed me away with their antics, I was leaning in the direction of "maybe we need to make sure these people are qualified to handle a murder instrument."

Ether Frenzy posted:

Most states: Can't go fishing without a license! But go ahead and have a gun, see ya later!

Exactly.
Assertions of fear and hero-complex are spot on, BTW. None of the hunters I know bother to carry, unless they're going out into the field, and that's for snakes and stuff.

Kivi posted:

Thanks. I found several things I didn't know I needed but really wanted by this thread too.

Ali Express is insidious like that.

bird with big dick posted:

My guns are strictly for penis replacement purposes I have no fantasies that I'll ever use one in self defense.

That sounds like a request for another edit on your avatar. :D

BuckyDoneGun posted:

You don’t need to dress up like a cowboy to ride a horse, nor does one dress like Kiss to play a guitar.

You go too far, sir (or ma'am.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

the spyder posted:

With all the subforum name changes - is there a unofficial/not actually legal advise thread?
I'm not sure all who remember, but I posted months ago about my wifing bringing home/wanting to help a homeless family... and well, it went terribly terribly wrong. I had the mom removed by the sheriff this morning and just spent an hour on the phone with DHS/CPS...Currently researching restraining orders/death threats. Wish me luck!

Oh, goddammit.
Does no good deed go unpunished?

I suppose it's worth noting that fairly often people are homeless for a reason, and that reason is themselves (usually mental illness of some sort.)

e:f,b.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'd hazard a guess homelessness and mental illness are both symptoms of the end result of capitalism.

I'd buy that. I certainly didn't mean to imply that mental illness is the sole cause of homelessness, or that all homeless people are mentally ill. That mainly applies to the chronically homeless folks. Mental care in the US sucks, and mental illness is stigmatized a lot. That said, once one is homeless, it starts a difficult-to-escape cycle. Tough to get a job when you don't have a home address or phone number, tough to get a home if you don't have a job, repeat.

quote:

E: just watched Kung Fu hustle and feel I should have tidied the garage and not wasted my time instead.

Hey, I *liked* Kung Fu Hustle. Just as pure silly fun, mind you - don't look for deep meaning or life solutions.

Reuben Sandwich posted:

Well A.I., I'm going to start trying to get my father's '31 Model A coupe rolling again. Would people be interested in the long term affair or is it too old?

Do it. Old is fine. Eventually my thread will go a little older with my '70 Cutlass. I hope.

McTinkerson posted:

Never to old. :justpost:

[I am biased, I want to build a '29 T-Bucket with a 13B]

You have my interest.

Re: religion. I was born and raised Catholic, and I guess still nominally am, but lapsed. As far as Christian institutions go, in my experience, the Catholic church is closer to the actual message of the New Testament than most I've seen, what with the caring for the poor, priests living in austerity for the most part, the churches not being *too* ostentatious (cathedrals aside, I guess), etc. The problems with priests and kids is very concerning, to say the least, but I think that's being rooted out. Having a Jesuit as pope is awesome. He's a practical guy.
I still don't go to church, or pray much, really. My brain doesn't really work that way (touch of Aspie,) but I won't denigrate anyone who believes, provided they walk the walk if they're going to quote the talk at me. "Prosperity Gospel" can just gently caress right off, and "Christian Trump Supporter" is an oxymoron.

Also: CSB, you are a very interesting person. I'm so plain vanilla (I'm pretty much literally as white as it gets without being Scandinavian) it hurts.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's doubly amusing when you realise The Satanic Temple itself is actually a lot more inline with what Jesus' teachings were and would be in the modern age.

Today I learned something.
That's sobering.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm sure this was mentioned up-thread but I've literally seen Christians argue that the famous quote from Jesus himself "it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven" actually had nothing to do with stacks of gold but that instead that the eye of a needle meant an actual physical gate into a city which was too small for a camel or some other loving nonsense. Like just say you love money, don't try to twist what is an insanely simple and easy to understand metaphor... It's the constant twisting of meaning that's so incredibly prevalent in all the weird versions of US Christianity that don't exist elsewhere. At one point there was loving mentalists running round with snakes and poo poo and I for sure saw some dickheads healing people and pushing them about with the spirit... At what point do you look at this and go "yo, this is loving STUPID" ?

Anyway I leave you with the video of the kind of church I'd actually attend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-HgBrVLv5I

I've seen that explanation of the "eye of a needle", as well. Not a clue as to veracity, but it does smell like waffling.
And human, especially Americans', ability to embrace stupid is amazing. We can do cognitive dissonance like no one else.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

tl;dr don't judge others lest you be judged

That's one I like to throw at quoters.

Something I found on the internets, or at least one of them:

...some days.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slothrop posted:

fuuuucckkk me.

From an Aussie: Trump is great because he's always surrounded by beautiful women and he's got a fews kids you know strong family values. Not like that facist war criminal Joe Biden.

:psyboom:

...I don't think they understand what the word "fascist" means. Or what a "great" person is and does.

Ferremit posted:

Australians who support trump confuse the gently caress out of me? Our current mob of leaders are loving morons- why would you want to latch yourself onto an even BIGGER moron?

Someone else's moron is always a better moron.

Ferremit posted:

Fortunately my doc is absolutely poo poo hot on mental health. I went to her complaining about struggling to get to sleep and she was digging for the root cause pretty much immediately.

The last bit is true and I'm keen to get this poo poo back under control. Pity I dont seem to be able to get my friends daughter to feel the same way at this point.

Man, that's rough with the friend and friend's daughter. She has to be willing to put in some effort, too, but it's a hard sell sometimes. Take care of yourself, then maybe see what you can do - kind of like how they want able-bodied to put their oxygen mask on first, then held those who can't, on planes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

God drat, Rhyno, sucks for your friend. I hope he makes it through without a) a lifetime of issues stemming from the assault and b) a lifetime of debt to various medical providers. That looks horrific.

STR posted:

Meanwhile I can't even walk. Went a bit over my "work restrictions" at work yesterday and my right leg feels like it has a few ice picks shoved into it, being wiggled around, like a still-in-school nurse digging for a vein to do a blood draw (don't ever loving do that, it hurts like hell and just blows the vein out, when a pt tells you "go to this vein, it's the only one anybody can ever hit", they know their body damnit).

Doesn't help that Brokeback's throttle is starting to stick (it's my right leg that's hosed, natch), it takes a solid stomp to free it up after it's been sitting awhile. Sitting tonight out from work since I couldn't even make it down the stairs. Followup appointment (and hopefully the beginning of PT) is tomorrow. I replaced the throttle cable on ex-roommate's old WRX right before he got rid of it.. Brokeback has quite a bit more room under the hood, so hopefully it'll go pretty smooth with a little less swearing. His WRX started pissing gas from every loving fuel line on the driver's side after that, but I've been through the fuel line exodus with Brokeback already. :ohdear::hf::supaburn:

Could try lubing :quagmire: the cable. I've got a nifty little thing that clamps over the cable end that forces *most* of the lube down the cable. It actually works. Still makes a mess, but it works.
Did you part ways with the roommate? I caught that you were in a different residence, but missed the actual activity.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Hummer EV is pretty danged impressive.
Quoting myself from that thread:
GM is pretty serious about this thing.
4-wheel independent suspension - good for ground clearance, 4-wheel steering. Crab mode! Air suspension with a lift mode. Underbody crawling cameras.
It's not any uglier than any other modern pickup, really (not saying much...) and reminds me of an enclosed Halo Warthog.
Price is whoo-boy, but it is a pile of neat stuff.

The goons hand wringing over how dangerous it is to pedestrians over in the EV thread is... interesting. I suppose it's telling that the EV thread *isn't* in automotive insanity.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

TheBacon posted:

Wait are there other EV threads outside AI? I don't follow the one here since I kind of don't care about EVs but I assumed that would be 'the EV thread'

Sorry, it's' here in AI. The BYOD costume threw me.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932649

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'm looking for suggestions from engineering/fab-minded folks.

A while back, I installed a sliding under-counter trashcan in the kitchen:

(I don't think I took a picture of it installed...)

I want it to pull out when the door is opened. Currently, I have a bit of cord attached, which works, but doesn't push it *back* when the door is closed, and also introduces a shock when the door is opened, then the slack is pulled tight, before the drawer starts coming out. I removed one of the auto-close mechanisms to make it a little easier to pull out, BTW. It was pretty aggressive.
Ideally, I would attach the door to the drawer, and just have the whole assembly slide out - in fact, brackets were included for that - but I have a 55-year old not-updated kitchen that uses external hinges, so it wouldn't look right, and if I remove the hinges, it would leave a scar that would have to be cleaned up. This is still a possibility, but what I'm looking for is some sort of semi-rigid sliding guide that I can attach, sort of like a car window roller, that would pull the drawer out when the door is opened, and push it back in when the door is closed.

Here's a diagram of what I'm talking about :

I'm basically needing the bits in green and purple.

I could probably fabricate something with C-channel and roller-skate bearings, but a nicely made existing solution would be nice.

I ran across linear bearings/linear guides, as used in 3D printers, and those are relatively cheap from China:
https://www.amazon.com/Yeahmart-Cylinder-Optical-Support-Bearing/dp/B07Z4X5ZCB/

https://www.amazon.com/Usongshine-Bearing-Sliding-Engraving-H-Type%EF%BC%8C300mm/dp/B07Y2SNX4R/

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001166133337.html

I like the first and last one most, as they would seem better suited to the pulling forces I'm anticipating.
An additional thought is that I will need to be able to release the door from the drawer occasionally for access to the under cabinet area (think: plumbing) but not on a regular basis, so a nut and bolt are reasonable.
Does anyone have a better idea, or know of a part better-suited to the application? I think the linear guide will work (and are cheap enough), but I don't want to overlook something better or cheaper that is just outside my knowledge.

edit: with respect for getting older and stuff breaking. Yeah, knees, shoulders, ankles... None are non-functional, they're all just... creaky.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 21, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

trouser chili posted:

Guys, don’t get your tonsils out at 42 if you can, it’s not great.

Does not sound like fun.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yep. If $80k will get you a 625hp electrotruck today, I'll be extremely happy if $30-40k would buy a 200-300hp smaller electrotruck without all the suspension bits in another five or ten years.

That's what I'm looking for.

edit:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah my disappointment has been expressed (and also WTF is this Pedestrian Council style hyperbolic poo poo? I haaaaaaaaaate SUV's and even I'm thinking hey you know, some of ya'll are sounding really over the top). This the new EV Hummer is just plain nuts and loaded with all sorts of cool tech and hardware and I for one love this kind of drug induced crazy exists.
I almost made a facetious comment about the e-Tron questions following your post vis-a-vis pedestrian safety, but decided not to feed the trolls.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 21, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Take the door of the hinges and mount it to the front of the trash can caddy. Simple brackets could connect the door to the wire frame of the caddy.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rev-A-Shelf-8-75-Gallon-Pull-Out-Trash-Can/52046262

Like that kind does. Or get that kind, or one of many cheaper options out there.

Yeah, I mentioned that option, but then I would have to fill and paint where the external hinges are currently, and it then wouldn't match the door on the right side of that particular cabinet. They're 1964 vintage - no hidden hinges, and it would be paint to add them due to how the surrounds are.
May do that anyway. I'd love to replace all of the cabinets, but $$$.

edit:

trouser chili posted:

Attach the door to the drawer as normal. Don’t remove the hinges from the door itself. Do remove the screws from the cabinet-side of the hinge. Cut the heads off these screws. Glue them in place in the hinge so it looks like it has screws. Glue the hinge in the position that makes it look like a correct normal hinge when the cabinet is shut. Maybe glue a bit of felt to the backside as well so it doesn’t slap the cabinet when you close the door.

Now there's a thought.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 22, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

This is super not-helpful but all I can see is Jeopardy podiums with a trapdoor. Which would be an awesome thing in my opinion.

No, it's not helpful, but it is funny.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tomarse posted:

I was gonna suggest this too. You can get soft close buffers which would work better than felt

Like these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Dampers-Including-Bathroom-Cupboards/dp/B017V5S5GW. Probably available cheaper from your favourite home depot equivalent

Good though, but the trash can drawer has built in self closers with soft close. I would just need to place the base of the drawer correctly in relation to the door opening.
The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards faking the hinging, or just ignoring the visual difference.
Making the drawer work with the drawer while hinged is overly complicated.

slidebite posted:

I don't know if I'm misunderstanding you, but I think you're making this more complicated than need be. Can't you just use something like a drawer slide and make some sort of a little bracket to attach to it?

You'd think so, and that's sort of what a linear bearing is, but think about how a drawer slide works. It doesn't have one short piece that can travel the whole length of the rail. It's got two long rails joined by a piece in between that rolls between the two pieces, so the sliding bit really can't be shortened much if at all. First thing I investigated.

StormDrain posted:

Oh. My eyes glazed over after thr first half of that paragraph. I saw it in a quote though and yeah I get it. That other solution of fake hinges is pretty clever.

Speaking of new cabinets, drat I need some. Can't afford em but I need them. I just had a drawer give out and there are a few others that the bottoms are sagging pretty bad. Nothing on them is worth salvaging. Hoping to save the cash to order new ones next year.

Several drawers in my house have been replaced by home-made replacements. They're clearly different construction, thicker wood, no grooves for the bottoms to slide in, etc. Several of the cabinet doors have been remade as well, with less than professional techniques, particularly when the oven was changed from double built-ins and a stovetop to a freestanding range. Really, it all needs to be replaced.

edit: the trash drawer I have is the Rev-A-Shelf that you posted, but the single can variant.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 22, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

I doubt you're dumb if you made it through life this far, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in evaluations from a long time ago. I'm pretty sure any psych evaluation I would have had when I was 10 would be A LOT different than one now. And FWIW, I've seen less intelligent people who are disciplined and work hard do a lot better in life than smart but unfocused and lazy people.

Can confirm. I'm in the latter group. I mean, I'm not destitute or anything, but I'm nowhere near 4 figgies, for example, despite having a decent IQ and great grades, etc. Real world does not equal test results. Do what you can and don't worry about it. You made it this far.
Edir: 6 figures. Geeze.

The Door Frame posted:

I got a 31 on my ACT and have been in community college on and off for 8 years

Acedemic tests just test how well you do on tests

Pretty much. I'm really good at the tests. Life...eh.

trouser chili posted:

Hey don’t let me discourage you though, I’m all for your sliding track/rail idea. I think it’s cool as gently caress. If you go for it you gotta show it off though. I wanna see it work. Not sure I could do it myself without a fair bit of fiddling and I’ve fiddled together a fair bit of weird work.

I'll think about what I want to do. Fair warning for future pics/videos: the cabinet door is ugly. It's got so many layers of paint on it, and we last painted it when we moved in 20 years ago. It's not holding up, especially around the knob where hands kept touching it. That goes for all of the cabinets in there, really.

slidebite posted:

Not quite what I was envisioning, but I think I have a better, simpler idea.

Bottom of your basket, small bracket with what I would call a cam follower bearing, or basically a small wheel on a stud. Maybe a 3/4" OD with a 1/4 or 5/16 stud. We have super heavy ones in industry, but I'm pretty sure I've seen light duty ones with ball bearings (instead of needle bearings) in home depot in the general hardware aisle. On the bottom "door", a small bit of channel, sort of upside down so it traps the wheel in it and moves the basket up/down as the door opens closes. I'm on my laptop so I can't easily sketch, but does that make sense?

Oh, yeah, that's what I was describing as my initial idea - like a window roller guide for a car side glass, the type used to actually lift the glass in a scissor lift style. I just went looking to see if something like that already existed, which is where I got on to the linear bearings. I've got a set of inline skate wheel bearings (think the bearings in fidget spinners) I could easily use. They're right around 3/4", so a 1" C-channel should work. I might just try that (because I get to *build* things!) first, and move on if it fails

nm posted:

LOL, house shopping.
<snip>
In any event, I looked at the garage and it looked, uhm, small. So today before I made an offer, i sung by and measured the garage. It was hard to measure because it is full of loving boxes, but it is no longer than 189in from back wall to door. The subaru legacy GT wagon is 189in.
Welp, next house. :(

It's amazing how small early cars were, and garages were built to match.

Halloween: not sure what we're doing. Usually, we sit out in the front yard around our small fire pit, with my garage radio playing a Halloween Pandora channel, and wait for the kids. Might could still do that, just masked up, and put the bowl 6' out away from us.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 23, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

4figgies? Like 4 figures?

Dammit. 6 figures. Not sure where that brain fade came from. I blame “Friday”.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slidebite posted:

Those are typically 608 bearings, 22mm OD. I'd personally not go with a straight bearing like that.. something more like a wheel. Bearing steel is very hard, it will eventually wear through the channel and don't always roll super easy because they are so smooth.

I'm thinking something more like this but maybe a bit smaller on the OD inside your channel.

https://www.amazon.ca/Prime-Line-Pr...974357255&psc=1

I'm thinking that kind of thing, too. I just happen to have the skate bearings. :D

Here's a good option, I think:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KPWJ3ZC/

fake edit: or https://www.amazon.com/Bearing-Pulley-Plastic-Cabinet-Positioning/dp/B073NMQCFY/

Or, now that I think about it, I could just put heatshrink tubing on the skate bearings.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

On the plus side I watched ready player one and really really enjoyed it, then watched it with my son who really really enjoyed it, :3: then finally found my copy of Constantine which I've been wanting to watch forever so there's that.

Go watch the Contantine series. It's better, but unfortunately only got one season. Though they did have the same actor as John show up in other DC series, including animated.

kastein posted:

I put a disposable mask over the vent when around other people or inside buildings I'm not the only occupant of for that exact reason. The earloops just go over the filter pods instead of my ears.

That's a neat idea. May try something like that with my reusable non-pod-style mask (because that mask is more comfortable than earloop masks, but has germ cannon vents on it.) It's got behind the head velcro straps and is a bit stiffer, so stands away from my mouth and nose. Also has charcoal filters.

nm posted:

What I did learn is that my legacy Wagon is marginally longer than my agent's range rover. The more you know I guess.

I was surprised to learn that or Outback is longer than the equivalent Forester. I thought the Forester had been bumped up to "small SUV". They are taller inside, at least.

Rhyno posted:

Attended a benefit for my assaulted friend last night. Donation bucket totalled almost $500 and the silent auction was looking to hit about a grand. And the brewery was donating all proceeds from 3 microbrews and ciders to his fund. Really good vibes and everyone wore masks and stayed distant!
This guy is so loved that two more local places are having benefits for him. And he's physically doing well as of last night so that is great. Sounds very likely that his family is going to bring him back here when he is released so while that sucks for the life he was building at least we'll all be able to help if needed.

It's really heartening to hear that folks are willing to help out when everything else is basically poo poo. It sucks mightily that it happened, but the response is uplifting. Thanks for posting updates.

Ether Frenzy posted:

My rule is 'whoever doesn't talk about anime is the non-rear end in a top hat' and I'm 266-0 at this point.

I will talk about anime, but not exclusively. Not that I've really seen any anime recently, other than bits and pieces while my daughter is watching various things on the Netflix et. al. I have not watched Jojo, and don't really plan on it.
Also, I'm probably an rear end in a top hat anyway.

Redline is pretty good - one episode and (future/sci-fi) car-related. There's also one about working-class people in space cleaning up orbital debris I kind of want to see. I forget the name just this second.

What's that orbital cleanup anime with the realistic mechanics I remember being mentioned?

Wow. Uh... great minds, etc.?

Track down Riding Bean. It's only a one episode OVA. Same guy who did Gunsmith Cats, (the Rally Vincent character is in both) and he's making a sequel via Kickstarter right now.

Liquid Communism posted:

The artist behind GSC, Kenichi Sonoda, has a new OVA coming out soon set in a version of the same universe as well. Dunno if the plots going to be any good, but his obsessive level of detail on guns and cars should make it watchable.

...and that would be the Kickstarter I was talking about. Y'all need to get out of my head.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Or I just need to move where there is no winter cold. Arizona is a good place even though it is all pink, brown and tan right? IOC lives there. Can't be all that bad.

It wasn't horrible when I went there last year(?) to buy my Outback from morethanjeff and drive it back to TX. OR when I ferried a lease-return Cutlass Ciera back from Phoenix to TX 30 years ago.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

There's a new-ish (2016) HD Blu-Ray of Riding Bean available:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madoverlord/riding-bean-high-octane-edition-anime-blu-ray/description
https://www.animeigo.com/products/anime/riding-bean

but it's on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQy2ZK_T7AY

(Beware, late '80s anime tits in a few places, if that sort of thing bothers you.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

So I've been pretty okay throughout the last several months. Everything's fucky, and that's just the way it is. All of a sudden, though, I'm being swamped with feelings of ill portent. I'm not typically one to worry, but man... I guess this is what impotent worry feels like. :sigh:

Well, there’s the election next week, and the fact that the shitstain Republicans ramrodded through Amy Barrett’s Supreme Court confirmation...

In other news I have my old guy butt exam today, in a couple of hours. I am hungry and grumpy today from the clear liquid diet yesterday and no eating today. And the colon cleanse stuff didn’t taste completely terrible, but not good. And boy howdy, it worked.
Lost almost 3 pounds from yesterday morning.
Wish me luck!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Good luck!

Good luck with the butt exam.

Good news! There wasn't much there that wasn't supposed to be. One polyp that they're sending off to the lab, but should be harmless, and, for some reason, an undigested pill that got lodged somewhere in there. Otherwise, my digestive bits are fine, which I figured, but good to know for sure, what with Chadwick Boseman dying of colon cancer recently.
Got to take the day off, doctor's orders, got a drug-induced nap in the middle of the day, and got to play Fallout 76 with friends who work nights/odd days all afternoon, so I'm not complaining.

quote:

You listed two of the big stressors, covid getting ready for a huge charge is certainly weighing on me, too. Germany is way, way up, and we were about 3 weeks behind the last round... I just see a lot of ways it can come up bullshit and it's concerning.

I'm fine in the whole "my life has nothing to complain about without seeming like an entitled prick" way, like Somewhat Heroic summarized. I just find myself posting mostly good stuff here and a lot of people fight sadbrains. At this point, we are ALL fighting, and it's okay. It's fucky, but eventually the fuckyness will wear out and things will get better again.

Yeah, I can't complain about my personal situation, but seeing my country (USA) and the world attempt to go to Hell in a handbasket with gusto is disheartening. I'm only 15 or so years away from retirement - I don't want to deal with all this upheaval now. Maybe when I was younger and full of piss and vinegar, but really, probably not even then.

Krakkles posted:

I was thinking the same thing.

Note: I am biased, I have a built XJ which is fun as hell.

I would really like to get another (better than my old one, meaning 4.0 and 4x4, possibly '97+) XJ for truck things. Mildly built, since I realistically won't be off-roading too much.

trouser chili posted:

I'm hardly a religious person but I was married in a church, and consulted with the priest there prior to completing the ceremony and stuff. She said something to us that's stuck with me. She asked if we were dedicated to each other over our own happiness and needs, and like the happy horny couple we were, we eagerly agreed. The priest then asked that we rethink the need to take care of one's self first. Through hammy analogy she regarded that our love is like a well, and if our own well is dry there is no love/water to give to others. So we first had to ensure our own needs were met and satisfied before we could have the capacity to take care of others with the love, care, and attention they deserve from you. Anyway, I'm not very good at it, but there it is.

Not unlike the airlines asking that you get yourself sorted vi-a-vis air masks, etc. before tending to children and infirm. Makes sense to me. Gotta be in decent shape yourself to help others.

Mooecow posted:

Hi everyone! It has been too long, I mainly lurk these days. The trucks are just too reliable so no new content.

This is a longshot but does anyone know anyone in the Canton, OH area that can look at a car for me? Looking to expand the old car fleet. I'd make the drive myself but I'd have to stay overnight in a hotel and with covid that just sketches me out.

Holy poo poo! I can't help you with that, but welcome back!
You know, I noticed the truck in the avatar before your name registered with me. :D

God drat, man. I'm so sorry for you, but you're good to be rid of her, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Mooecow!

Man, we're only missing Kevbarlas and it'd be like the AI family is back together.

I really want to see his V8 van come together.

Ferremit posted:

Front end loaders make everything better.

I still dont know why you guys in the US dont run 4 in 1 buckets on your machines.

First answer would be "what is a 4-in-1 bucket?"

Ferremit posted:

<snip>

So I'm worrying about her, my friends daughter who we've helped through DV has gone off the rails again, so Im worried bout her and the new antidepressants I'm on are still messing with my brain. Went to work this morning and could not concentrate at all. Couldnt string together a thought, couldnt plan anything, so I told my manager that I was in a bad way and I just needed to do something really basic like being someones assistant or go home.

What I got in response was a roll of his eyes and being dragged into a meeting room where I had my new depression diagnosis questioned because I hadn't delivered him any paperwork about it from the doctors (idiot doesnt understand patient doctor confidentiality in the slightest) and then got the comment of "You let a lot of things get to you, dont you?"

I dunno whether he deserves to be pushed into a wood chipper or drowned in the sewerage plant.

You did at least tell him to go gently caress himself, right? Or call him a c-word? Both?
I have no idea how I would handle that, or what your wife went through. Probably badly.

Most people that never had sadbrains don't understand and/or don't want to. Especially other dudes since men don't tend to be very sympathetic towards you having a compound fracture bleeding everywhere much less being depressed. Back when I was struggling with depression I didn't tell anyone but the people very close to me because more times than not people just don't give a poo poo.

That being said, I would have told him politely to go gently caress himself

I wouldn't have been polite about it. I have certainly career limited myself before over lesser things, so...

I don't have too much to complain about, but still feel a general... malaise, I guess, given the whole 2020 thing - C19, politics, Nazi racist homophobic asshats feeling safe, etc. And now I've hosed off doing stuff outside enough that it's now in the 40s (F) outside - too cold for paint, for example. Man, I want a shop. I should have got out and worked on my RX-7 more, but: lazy, and there wasn't really a whole lot between "gently caress, it's hot" and "now the paint won't dry."
Although, the paint is catalyzed, so maybe should still dry properly, just more slowly. Hmm.