Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I mean there's a reason men get a bad rap and it's because of dill-holes like that who try and inflict a certain set of 'manly' rules on other men. Imagine being afraid of your own emotions, sounds weak as gently caress to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It would be one hell of a redemption arc for 2020 if Trump died from covid.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

shy boy from chess club posted:

I never imagined something good might come from 2020 and I don't feel bad about being a lovely person for saying that in this case

I'm here to tell you that bad things happening to truly lovely humans is not something you should feel bad about enjoying.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

trouser chili posted:

Hey death ain’t stopped Herman Cain from tweeting some “lol, how do I flipped covid?” type poo poo.

The comments are all "mf, you DIED from covid" and it makes me smile.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ranzear posted:

There are worse places to have to sit and wait...

Yeah like in the Lambo :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Humphreys posted:

Rich is getting in on the Mini train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZdQoi95MMg

It's impossible not to love driving a classic Mini, when he said "how can you not smile?" that's exactly the feeling you get when you're in one and why they're one of the best cars ever built. The thing about them though is the smile is contagious, everyone who sees a Mini smiles. Having taken a road trip in a friend's one there's little else that inspires glances and waves like a Mini except a convoy of Minis... Another friend has a worked 1275 with a straight cut gearbox and it's even more fun. Spinning up the tiny wheels from traffic lights just because you can is never not fun and the nagging feeling you're possibly going to die driving it just adds to it all... There are definitely worse cars to die in though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

slolthrop looks pretty good in chaos mode.

I was thinking the same

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

(Not shown - the first time it fired up and the smoke cloud was far, far worse......)

Worse? :lol:

also congratulations!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Humphreys posted:

Woah, back up mate. What's all this about?

Cat's brother is the best kind of AI and decided an AWD BRZ needed to happen.

https://www.thegearheadproject.com/2019/awdbrz-rally-car/

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 8, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Humphreys posted:

Geez! Thats awesome. I think I read something in this thread about it being a myth, but might have been Cat being coy.

KaptainBallistik himself has posted clips on his facebook page of the same name if you still use it. There's been the odd link here and there in CT's own Subaru thread too.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

64bit_Dophins posted:

Read 'em and weep nerds :aslol:

This dude patched into the mainframe...

I'm at work and getting 786 down, 940 up. Not bad considering we have thousands of users online at the moment locally. I'm constrained by the gigabit switches, we're sat on top of a 2Tb/sec education/research pipeline and here's me shitposting on a car forum with it :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Like someone searching for cum tributes.

Uh. I don't want to know, do I?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ferremit posted:

Also, have fun with your insults- instead of telling your idiot coworker to go gently caress himself, tell him to go fist himself!

There's been a little much of this online where you get stuff like 'cockwomble' and the like. Don't go too far making new words.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Some kids never grow out of pretending I guess

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

64bit_Dophins posted:

Also on the religion thing, you guys should read Mere Christianity and The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis.

Towards the end of the Screwtape letters he suggests that the devil's most successful trick was corrupting the church and getting people to worship Satan while they think they're worshipping God.

It's doubly amusing when you realise The Satanic Temple itself is actually a lot more inline with what Jesus' teachings were and would be in the modern age.

quote:

I
One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.

II
The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.

III
One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.

IV
The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own.

V
Beliefs should conform to one's best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one's beliefs.

VI
People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one's best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.

VII
Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

64bit_Dophins posted:

Agreed.

The satanists were moralists fr.

I don't think that's what CS Lewis meant by that really. He just meant that through the lens of a corrupted institution, many people are actually praying for human suffering, destruction, chaos, greed etc when they really think that they are praying for good will and love etc etc.

From what I can tell that is definitely true for many of the prosperity gospel, trump supporting mega churches that I have seen.

I'm sure this was mentioned up-thread but I've literally seen Christians argue that the famous quote from Jesus himself "it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven" actually had nothing to do with stacks of gold but that instead that the eye of a needle meant an actual physical gate into a city which was too small for a camel or some other loving nonsense. Like just say you love money, don't try to twist what is an insanely simple and easy to understand metaphor... It's the constant twisting of meaning that's so incredibly prevalent in all the weird versions of US Christianity that don't exist elsewhere. At one point there was loving mentalists running round with snakes and poo poo and I for sure saw some dickheads healing people and pushing them about with the spirit... At what point do you look at this and go "yo, this is loving STUPID" ?

Anyway I leave you with the video of the kind of church I'd actually attend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-HgBrVLv5I

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'd do two chicks at the same time.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

slidebite posted:

I like the idea of a bidet, but I do not like the idea of icy cold tap water :(

You are aware they can be plumbed into the hot water too and usually are, right?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Anything that makes you feel even the tiniest bit better this year is allowable, as long as it doesn't negatively affect anyone else. Here endeth the sermon.

The above is why I visited KFC last night after work and ordered 2 Double Down meals and have been avoiding working on cars as much as possible for the past 6 months.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The last one of these that sold for crazy money had 21k miles and went for $310k. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-240z-124/

You could buy so many 240s to crash for that money.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

slidebite posted:

Jesus Chili, yeah, get that checked out dude.

Also
:stare:

Rudy Giuliani caught on film trying to rail some chick he supposedly thought was underage? :wtc:

https://twitter.com/anoncatanoncat/status/1318979654422724608

He was just 'tucking himself in' apparently...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

You have to start at season 2. It turns into a circus

There's good anime, and the list pops up every time we mention it, but some anime is just too anime to bear. I don't even mean the stuff that's embarrassing to watch, or embarrassing to be caught watching, either. I want to like Attack on Titan so badly, I've tried to watch it 3 times, but it's painfully stuffed with the worst tropes to pad the run times. There's a 20-some odd minute episode that takes place inside of a 30 second countdown and every time, I lose all interest in the show immediately afterwards

I've actually started to interact with anime more passively, putting it on in the background while I play video games or do homework makes it easier to engage with somehow

You are apparently me, the thing that stops people enjoying JoJo is the fact it's hard to tell if it's playing it straight or not in that first series because it's totally playing it straight when everything that goes on is very loving stupid. Second series on it just leans on the stupid a bit more and then you 'get' the whole JoJo thing they're doing. After that it all gets incredibly stupid and it revels in it and you just go with it. I think I got 3 series in and haven't bothered since though.

And you're very right about Titan. To me the concept was great, the idea of humanity being attacked by giants was really cool and then like you say it's anime trope city. The main character being a crybaby is by far the most annoying anime trope ever and I blame Evangelion entirely for it. And the episode thing too. I watched the first series because everyone was raving about it and there's 25 episodes. During which in some cases there's multiple minutes of recap. And a whole lot of whiny teen nonsense. I was so hosed off with it I counted how much actual action there was and it came to less than 24 whole minutes. Each episode is roughly 24 minutes long. There's one episode's worth of giant killing in a series about giants that's 25 episodes long. I genuinely don't understand how anyone stuck with it and I question quite what the gently caress it is that anime fans see in most of the billion episode stuff they watch...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

My standard point on anime is it's a medium not a genre. There's good and bad stuff all across the spectrum.

The filtering of what you get in the west as a function of what they thought would sell was very noticeable here in the 90s when Manga Entertainment were riding high.

My experience of the modern stuff is it's mostly bad. The truly good stuff is a rarity and the stuff Manga Entertainment brought over 25+ years was at least new and pushed boundaries...

64bit_Dophins posted:

Borat 2 is cool and good. Highly recommend. IF you're like me and you 'download' all of your media, please note that most of the files out there do not have the much needed English subtitle track.

I caught it earlier today and there were a few sections I was pissing myself laughing at. The couple of sections that were the most shocking but not for the reasons of Borat doing insane poo poo were the debutantes ball which just had this super creepy vibe (confirmed by the guy telling Borat how much he'd pay) and the conspiracy theory guys who just seemed like normal guys, nice even, just with a world view completely hosed by lies.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 25, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

64bit_Dophins posted:

Cyber City Odeo

The scene in Borat 2 where he asks the lady at the bakery to write "Jews will not replace us" on the cake and she actually does it really blew me away.

Cyber City is like the perfect series in that it's incredibly cool looking, the characters are all lovable arseholes and it does all it needs to and just stops after an episode each. Too many series are a decade long and they really loving drag and offer nothing different from one week to the next to the point where you're watching it because you've spent so much time doing so previously.

And the Borat thing is definitely a lot of Americans are too nice and non-confrontational when faced with 'backwards' foreigners which is why the babysitter is such a loving gem in the movie, she was not putting up with his poo poo. The Jewish ladies towards the end too were pure gold.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

That makes me feel less guilty about trying to put money aside for a bike for my own entertainment/enjoyment.

What are you looking at getting? I've realised the evenings are dark and I need to buy some lights so I can get down the lanes in the dark.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Oh a bike bike! Yeah awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

Oh yeah I'm too much of a lardass to go anywhere at speed without assistance

I keep looking at the MSX/Grom and then I found this race edition...

https://twitter.com/MotorcyclesZZZZ/status/1319183196123168768?s=20