Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Caveat: Personally I wouldn't particularly want to own either of those cars, but:

If I were going to spend 30+k on a Skyline, I'd want the GT-R, not one of the lesser models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BuckyDoneGun posted:

“Just get the GT-R!” lol, at this point that’s like telling someone don’t buy a 458, just get the F40. Unicorns.
To be clear, I wasn't trying to say "Buy the GT-R", I was trying to say I wouldn't buy the GT-T, or more specifically, the latter half of:

BuckyDoneGun posted:

A GT-t is probably going to be more fun than a 370Z and be much easier to build for big power if that’s what you want to do. A 370Z isn’t going to break down and have the problems of a 20yo used performance car.

But also BigPaddy has more experience with this with these, so I guess GT-Ts aren't as far downmarket as I thought they were.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It would be one hell of a redemption arc for 2020 if Trump died from covid.
Biden goes too, Pence installs Amy Conehead Barret, The Handmaid’s Tale turns out to be optimistic.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

This is someone's last weekend with all their fingers and they don't even know it yet.
:stare:

Agreed.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

... is it 2021?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I mean the point is kind of that Butcher is a piece of poo poo so ... weird that you want to associate yourself with that.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Tomarse posted:

and the minute you guys start talking America/guns/freedom in here I think of you like homelander. Weird how people in different places have different viewpoints and standards isn’t it.
What?

I don’t think I even understand that straw man. I don’t think I’ve ever been “ooorah America”. I do own guns but I don’t think its part of my personality.

So I mean, yeah, homelander sucks, there’s a few posters who are like that and I think they’re morons, too, just like the people whose ego demands they get to use a word that is offensive to a oppressed group of people, so ... what?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

Guns are cool and good and I need to get my license :canada:
I believe I’m supposed to laugh at the idea of needing a license

... but that actually makes a ton of sense, my state already does it, and I would vote for it federally

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

TheBacon posted:

It doesn’t quite mix well with pandemic unfortunately:/
Licensure requirements for firearms don’t mix well with a viral pandemic?

What are you going to do, shoot the virus?

Ether Frenzy posted:

Most states: Can't go fishing without a license! But go ahead and have a gun, see ya later!
Yeah, that’s one of many things I like about CA.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

TheBacon posted:

No, not really! This is not in anyway a knock on requirements or a complaint about them existing. It’s just another facet that is complicated and was delayed for a long time due to pandemic, sucks having to go take a proctored exam for my FSC in a pandemic, especially so while places that administered them were closed for months!
Yes, pandemics are inconvenient. What does this have to do with whether or not requiring licenses for guns is a good idea?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

T-Square posted:

Wait, why were people arguing about Billy Butcher’s language before, do people in here get upset at “oval office” now?
That word is an offensive term for women, the mod tried to ban it, a bunch of people pitched a fit and made circular non-sensical arguments about how “actually that’s not how we mean it but yes it is what the word means but not what we meant”.

Which lead to Tomarse’s “haha you guys are c***s but I’m not going to say it but I’m gonna make you think it lol” super funny gotcha

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 12, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

slothrop posted:

I understand that the c-bomb is considered the most offensive word in American English but you must try to understand that different cultures view it differently.

Other anglophone countries may not have the same emotional response attached to the word. I’m not trying to advocate for it’s use here, personally I try to limit its use it my everyday language despite living in a country and working in an industry where it is seen as punctuation rather than a slur.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have a discussion about it, but bear in mind that part of what makes AI so great is the diversity of its membership. Simply trying to ban something because you find it offensive is not a great way to engage with people and find a solution that’s acceptable to all parties.
A lot of cultures have come around to the fact that referring to something in a negative way using a word associated with something else is offensive whether or not the (typically quite privileged) person doing so thinks so or “means it that way” or not.

I appreciate the reasonable nature of your approach and I absolutely understand that a fair number of people just don’t understand the implications of such language, but the fact that “it’s still normal here” doesn’t mean it’s not harmful, and it certainly doesn’t add anything to the culture of this forum.

No one tried to ban Australians or Brits in general, and I certainly don’t want Tomarse or anyone else to stop posting, but asking people not to use a word that they agree on the definition of but argue the severity of is not particularly unreasonable.

There’s this weird stigma around “woke culture” being a negative thing, but I think being inclusive is valuable, and having that word littered about here isn’t going to help women (or people who value inclusivity toward women) want to belong here.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

slothrop posted:

Thanks for the reasoned response. You raise some really good points that I hadn't considered and I will absolutely take them on board.

I suspect there is probably a little bit of a subconcious "chip-on-the-shoulder" about deferring to a USA centric point of view amongst other anglophone/5eyes nations. I'm not saying it's right or reasoned, but I think we look at what we percieve as a very broken political/social system in the US and wonder "who are you to be handing out the moral imperative?"

Please note I'm not trying to argue against you here, I do appreciate what you have to say.
:love:

For what it’s worth, I think the US sucks, for a multitude of reasons, definitely including the ones you list. I’m trying to remain hopeful that we can change but it’s getting constantly harder.

I’d move if we weren’t PNG in basically every other country at this point! :q:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I suppose it's worth noting that fairly often people are homeless for a reason, and that reason is themselves (usually mental illness of some sort.)
This smells like a myth. I’m sure it happens sometimes, but with the socioeconomic inequality in this country I’d be shocked if it was any significant portion of the causes of homelessness.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

https://mentalillnesspolicy.org/consequences/homeless-mentally-ill.html

ETA: Better stats. https://www.bbrfoundation.org/blog/homelessness-and-mental-illness-challenge-our-society

Among homeless people, the odds of encountering serious mental illness is much higher than the population at large. Help the homeless all you can, but keep your guard up.
It's for sure harder to hold on to most jobs with mental illness, but it's not that people are actively and consciously choosing to be unhoused because of a mental illness.

I may have misunderstood the original point, but it's typically espoused as the latter, not the former.

(I'm tempted to say "correlation, not causation", but that's not exactly right, either.)

TheBacon posted:

Idk I’ve seen a few rich rich people, but lol Silicon Valley. Alice’s def has gotten some of the real rich during the weekday mornings!
I mean, I don't know who you've met, but bear in mind that we're not talking about Jack from Twitter or some other tech bro, in general. Zuckerberg probably makes the list, but we're talking people with 10s if not 100s of billions, not millions.

I live very near the studios that produce most major films, and I've definitely seen people with more money than I could ever dream of, and they're still not at that level.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

everdave posted:

drat Spyder that can be horrible make sure to get the sheriff involved lots of people try to squat.

I have guns and I’ve had to pull one out more than once in Nashville and my town now that maybe could have been ok with a bat or crowbar but maybe not. Both ended with the cops coming and taking the people away. No shots fired.

And I’ll just go ahead and say it. I don’t talk politics and I accept and support all people but y’all make it terrifying to be a Christian person who goes to church. Seriously would y’all do that to some car weirdo who is Muslim? Anyways I go to church and I do t give a poo poo what you do or who you do it to.
What the gently caress

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

everdave posted:

I don’t talk religion if you are atheist or whatever I’m certainly not gonna talk on the car forums to change your mind.
And yet, here you are...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

everdave posted:

And yet I said I don’t give a poo poo about what anyone believes so gently caress you is that good enough?
You brought it up and you sure seem to have an opinion about it.

Literally no one else was talking about it and you brought the “poor persecuted Christian” routine in.

While talking about how you’ve brandished a gun at least twice.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 13, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Edit: Also I’ve not been taking Zoloft, I meant Zofram. I’ve been taking Zofram cause the hydrocodone makes me vomit. Also I guess it makes me confuse Zoloft for Zofram. Hooray opioids!
Zofran :science:

That poo poo is magic.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I've met him in real life, probably more than 15 years ago, and that never connected for me.

Ew :v:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I mean, I'm always interested in seeing car videos, and it doesn't sound like you even exceeded the speed limit, so :shrug: :justpost:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I mean, you're probably right. I was knocked off my motorcycle by a car ~10 years ago (dang, time flies...) and my shoulder still aches when it gets even a little cold. Like, Southern California "a little cold".

Louis CK is a moron but he was pretty dead on about getting old. "That's just how it's going to be from now on."

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I mean, I know fuckall about bikes anymore, but 25.4 makes way more sense (than 24.5) because it's an inch, right?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

slidebite posted:

So how are you guys doing Halloween this year for the trick or treaters?

Doing it at all? If so, any changes?

I'm thinking we will try to make it as normal as possible. Plan on prepackaging everything in little individual bags like normal and as long as the weather is agreeable, just sit on my step so they don't have to all come up the step and hit the doorbell.

Wearing a mask of course.
The police department in my city is doing a "reverse trick or treat" - they put a PDF you can print out with an outline of a pumpkin, your kid colors it in and you tape it in the window, officers drop off bags of treats when they see them.

Otherwise ... I wouldn't be doing it at all - order a bag of candy from somewhere, watch Hocus Pocus and let the kid stay up late. I just don't think it's worth it with the pandemic going on.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

100%. I have very mixed feelings about it. But at least the city is trying to keep dumbasses off the street.

I 100% also know that I need to put up a sign saying "sorry, it's a pandemic, I don't have any candy for you, go away".

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

slidebite posted:

We've had ~300 kids a year last few years, and I don't know if we have any active cases in our satellite town so I suspect a lot of kids will still get out. My friends that have kids have all said they'll let them go.

I wouldn't be surprised if some parents from the city, which does have some cases, take their kids out here.
And that's how it happens.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

My rule is 'whoever doesn't talk about anime is the non-rear end in a top hat' and I'm 266-0 at this point.
A good rule.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BuckyDoneGun posted:

The cake lady is a great example. Too many people will take away “wow look she wrote the racist message on the cake”, but she was clearly taken aback and not everyone wants to start a fight when you’re just trying to sell cakes.
And, at a very simple level, that's a major factor in how racism and prejudice survive.

"Oh, well, it's not directly affecting me, I don't want to get involved."

Anti-racism should not be controversial. The fact that it is often more controversial than the racism in the first place is insane.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I was thinking the same thing.

Note: I am biased, I have a built XJ which is fun as hell.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Possibly, but XJs die everywhere. They've long been cheap enough that they're kind of throwaway 4x4s for a lot of people, and it's relatively rare for people to take good care of them.

They're cheap enough that you could fly to, say, AZ, pick up a couple, drive back with them, and be way, way under that $30k. (Or have them shipped.) Far enough under that you can dump 5 figures into modifying and still be way, way under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Staining / painting it would definitely help, covering with a tarp would probably be just fine.