Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I just want to share some positive news, I've been unemployed for about two months now (which is a fantastic way to make a ton of progress on your projects lol) , and wasn't getting any traction. No email responses no phone calls, just a few empty chats with recruiters. Then I had an interview on Wednesday that I think went very well and it's someplace I'd love to work. And then a phone interview for another place today, and after that a call out of the blue for a third place, for an interview next week! No offers yet, but all very encouraging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

slothrop posted:

I finally managed to get a haircut, 6 months after I really needed one.

Got chatting to the stylist about cars somehow and he showed me a picture of his garage.

His & His matching pop-up headlight NSX's. He was saying one is tuned to ~450hp the other is 650hp. :kimchi:

If thats not AI I don't know what is.

Two things, you look great. Second, where can I get one of these NSXs?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Elmnt80 posted:

I'm having to resist the urge to buy the $200 12ft tall skelly boi at home depot. I'd leave that poo poo up year round.

I saw that thing on one of the first days of Halloween decorations and holy poo poo. Yeah, if I had the cash for that I would have bought it immediately.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 6, 2020

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

LloydDobler posted:

Came home this morning around 4, milled around for a few minutes, and just before I went to bed I find a bat flying back and forth across my living/dining room. Scared the poo poo out of me. Fortunately I have vaulted ceilings so it wasn't down in my face but I still bolted out of the room. It kind of followed me, then went back in to the other rooms, then swooped at me, then back, etc. Finally I opened the back door and stood there hoping to see it fly out, when I heard my dad opening his bedroom door. I skulked over to tell him we have a loving bat in the house, but suddenly there was no sign of it. I looked around for an hour while he ate breakfast, after which we concluded that it must have flown out, and I just missed it. It was silent and quick as hell. So I slept for 3 hours, got up to pee, and now my adrenaline's back up because I'm still worried that it's here somewhere and is gonna swoop me again. Also worried that there's some secret bat hole that he can get in and out of, with his bat friends or family. We shall see.

Or my dad is :drac:

Welcome to the Bat In House Crew.

My visit to the ER and subsequent followup rabies shots hit my deductible!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
People are either surprised I own guns or surprised at my politics depending on which they learn about first.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krakkles posted:

A lot of cultures have come around to the fact that referring to something in a negative way using a word associated with something else is offensive whether or not the (typically quite privileged) person doing so thinks so or “means it that way” or not.

I appreciate the reasonable nature of your approach and I absolutely understand that a fair number of people just don’t understand the implications of such language, but the fact that “it’s still normal here” doesn’t mean it’s not harmful, and it certainly doesn’t add anything to the culture of this forum.

No one tried to ban Australians or Brits in general, and I certainly don’t want Tomarse or anyone else to stop posting, but askingb
people not to use a word that they agree on the definition of but argue the severity of is not particularly unreasonable.

There’s this weird stigma around “woke culture” being a negative thing, but I think being inclusive is valuable, and having that word littered about here isn’t going to help women (or people who value inclusivity toward women) want to belong here.

You're a good person. You've been one of my favorite people on here lately.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Do it. You know you want to. X-bodies are good. Novas are your friends.

Don't neglect your friends.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Reuben Sandwich posted:

Well A.I., I'm going to start trying to get my father's '31 Model A coupe rolling again. Would people be interested in the long term affair or is it too old?

I hope to someday update my thread with older. Always post.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

cursedshitbox posted:

Wasting time by posting this and not a project thread.

I unequivocally agree.

ehhh, not really. The real rich aren't going to hang out at Alice's. Fwiw it's a real treat to WFH and get out on 35 and the like during the weekday. I've not done an Alice's run in 2020, heard it has been a shitshow.

Guns are like hammers. They solve problems in a singular fashion. If you always resort to using a hammer, you're doing it wrong.

Also the gently caress are you talking about? This forum is inclusive as gently caress, whether it's religion, gender, orientation, race, profession, creed, etc. This forum comes together for the love of shitboxes and everything that they entail. Hell man they band together to help each other out when they're down on their luck. Now if someone is broadcasting a lovely attitude as loud as possible, sure they're gonna have a bad time here. Basically nobody gives a gently caress if you're not being militant about it.

I'm a "car weirdo" that's queer, married, middle eastern, heavy left leaning politically, baptized a Catholic and raised under the Sunni Muslim faith*.
If this place were lovely like you speak, No loving way in hell would I stick around. AI owns. There's not another like it on the internet. Again, wtf mate?

*I swore off religion about 20 years ago.
There are at least a few Christians here too. Again, eh?

Not true, hammers can pull nails too. IT'S THE INTERNET WE NEED A GUY LIKE ME TO BE PEDANTIC.

Also I agree with you and was just telling my friend how surprising the political alignments are on this car forum of all places.

I still have seen too many obnoxious posters around the entire site that I keep my private life as private as I can, I want to keep my options open for posting in other places.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

64bit_Dophins posted:

Agreed. I honestly don't remember where I heard that. Maybe the same company that supplied food for prisons also provided food for public schools in GA or something? I'm not entirely sure but either way yeah they should not have to pay for it.

Probably heard it right after you learned about Marilyn Manson having some ribs taken out.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

trouser chili posted:

I’ll believe in just about any deity you want for a poo poo right about now. Apparently a diet of instant mashed potatoes, hydrocodone, shells and cheese, and Zoloft do not a poop make.

You need to be praying to Sterculius.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You are aware they can be plumbed into the hot water too and usually are, right?

Or get used to it. If you add the toilet seat one it's always off the same tap from the toilet. Some plug in but they are expensive.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I started gathering supplies to strip some paint off of some trim down in the basement, took a little look at the back of the can, "use in well ventilated area, preferably outdoors and never in a basement". Welp. Looks like I freed up my night.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, well you're gonna have to free up your night, 'cause you're not doing anything productive once you inhale all those fumes.

Well I meant I decided against it.

edit: reminds me of the other day, I had two open mixing cups, one with 'paint gun cleaner' and the other with lacquer thinner. I wasn't sure which was which (I have since labelled them), and I couldn't smell nothin' so I stuck my whole nose in there and holy gently caress what a dumbass move.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 16, 2020

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

I'm looking for suggestions from engineering/fab-minded folks.

A while back, I installed a sliding under-counter trashcan in the kitchen:

(I don't think I took a picture of it installed...)

I want it to pull out when the door is opened. Currently, I have a bit of cord attached, which works, but doesn't push it *back* when the door is closed, and also introduces a shock when the door is opened, then the slack is pulled tight, before the drawer starts coming out. I removed one of the auto-close mechanisms to make it a little easier to pull out, BTW. It was pretty aggressive.
Ideally, I would attach the door to the drawer, and just have the whole assembly slide out - in fact, brackets were included for that - but I have a 55-year old not-updated kitchen that uses external hinges, so it wouldn't look right, and if I remove the hinges, it would leave a scar that would have to be cleaned up. This is still a possibility, but what I'm looking for is some sort of semi-rigid sliding guide that I can attach, sort of like a car window roller, that would pull the drawer out when the door is opened, and push it back in when the door is closed.

Here's a diagram of what I'm talking about :

I'm basically needing the bits in green and purple.

I could probably fabricate something with C-channel and roller-skate bearings, but a nicely made existing solution would be nice.

I ran across linear bearings/linear guides, as used in 3D printers, and those are relatively cheap from China:
https://www.amazon.com/Yeahmart-Cylinder-Optical-Support-Bearing/dp/B07Z4X5ZCB/

https://www.amazon.com/Usongshine-Bearing-Sliding-Engraving-H-Type%EF%BC%8C300mm/dp/B07Y2SNX4R/

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001166133337.html

I like the first and last one most, as they would seem better suited to the pulling forces I'm anticipating.
An additional thought is that I will need to be able to release the door from the drawer occasionally for access to the under cabinet area (think: plumbing) but not on a regular basis, so a nut and bolt are reasonable.
Does anyone have a better idea, or know of a part better-suited to the application? I think the linear guide will work (and are cheap enough), but I don't want to overlook something better or cheaper that is just outside my knowledge.

edit: with respect for getting older and stuff breaking. Yeah, knees, shoulders, ankles... None are non-functional, they're all just... creaky.

Take the door of the hinges and mount it to the front of the trash can caddy. Simple brackets could connect the door to the wire frame of the caddy.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rev-A-Shelf-8-75-Gallon-Pull-Out-Trash-Can/52046262

Like that kind does. Or get that kind, or one of many cheaper options out there.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
He's so handsome, how could you say no.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, I mentioned that option, but then I would have to fill and paint where the external hinges are currently, and it then wouldn't match the door on the right side of that particular cabinet. They're 1964 vintage - no hidden hinges, and it would be paint to add them due to how the surrounds are.
May do that anyway. I'd love to replace all of the cabinets, but $$$.

edit:

Now there's a thought.

Oh. My eyes glazed over after thr first half of that paragraph. I saw it in a quote though and yeah I get it. That other solution of fake hinges is pretty clever.

Speaking of new cabinets, drat I need some. Can't afford em but I need them. I just had a drawer give out and there are a few others that the bottoms are sagging pretty bad. Nothing on them is worth salvaging. Hoping to save the cash to order new ones next year.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Found this pretty quickly looking for antique car dimensions.

My parents old garage, likely built around 1915, had the same car parked in it and had about the same clearances.

Meanwhile my 1978 garage barely fits the Galaxie. Moral of the story, most garages aren't big enough.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
For yard trimmings, do yall make little bundles in the wheelbarrow? Put two lengths of masons line across the wheelbarrow, fill with cut pieces of twigs, and then cinch it down with the string line. I usually do about 4 of those out with the trash and they pick it up with the bin.

I did it once when my parents came to help and they thought it was a neat trick, and I looked at my dad sideways and said "well you thought it to me...."

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

LloydDobler posted:

Our city has debris pickup and we get a bin just like the recycling and trash, they pick it up every 2 weeks. Just like this:

You're in like, Oregon now right? I can't imagine putting that to enough use here in Denver. I do a couple big trims, and then a few little trims and cleanups that end up being a bag or two throughout the year. Grass is mulched into the lawn, the first fall of leaves are mulched in. My maple tree is about to drop it's load, same with the Apple, so I'll probably get a few bags but not too bad.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Do it. And everywhere you go you gotta say G Wagon G Wagon G Wagon all the housewives pulling up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=393C3pr2ioY

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Also you can wrap it in an obnoxious color or pattern and I recommend that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Mooecow posted:

Thanks for the warm welcome again. Feels good to be back, just need to get some more projects going. Luckily I got an offer tonight on my '65 Mustang so hopefully that'll clear up a garage bay for my potential next car. Although it feels weird this time, it doesn't have any rust and actually has maintenance records. Maybe I'm going soft.

And since it has been a while, here is a picture of the trucks from last year:

Such great trucks. One of the best projects on here.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MomJeans420 posted:

That's what I had been guessing, looks like I'll be staining it this weekend. If it goes back to workbench duty that will help fight stains at least.

The thing people forget about is condensation, it gets up under tarps and stays wet, which leads to mold. If you can protect it from the weather but leave it open, it'll be better off. Like folded up under an overhang or similar.

Of course a full stain and seal will help a lot too.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh also thread I just got a job after three months of unemployment! I start Monday and make less than I used to but not by much. I hope this works out.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ferremit posted:

It’s a clamshell style bucket

https://youtu.be/jauUkLrF9Nc

Makes tractors and skid steers 100 times more versitile. Downside is that the bucket is heavier so your overall lift capacity gets cut.

Yeah I'd guess because mostly contractors are cheapskates and don't do enough maintenence, so the added hydraulics and complexity means it'll get broken faster.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

trouser chili posted:

Congrats man, income is good! I took a $5k a year haircut when I started at my current employer. That was drat near 20 years ago.

Thanks! Yeah in the end I was like, I can make money now which is better than not. Sucks being on the weak side of the negotiation and especially as a Project Manager where negotiating is part of the job.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BraveUlysses posted:

dang, i refi'd about a year ago to 3.5. i'd do it again if i weren't unemployed!

Ironic isn't it? Last month I was looking at my payment and thought, I'd be better off with a longer term at these ridiculous rates but there's no way to qualify for it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Half the problem is people claim to be pros when they’re not. I’d rather do the job myself on drugs.

Yeah!