Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Exactly that. Trump makes them feel that it's safe to express their true, inner views. Maybe we should thank him for outing all the Nazis, misogynists, and racists?

Yep.

When someone goes fully mask-off and tells you who they are, you believe them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

TheBacon posted:

I would consider being anti abortion pretty abhorrent so really the whole platform is just abhorrent

It's not like the rest of the platform is any less abhorrent. They're still trying to redefine marriage as het-only, for gently caress's sake.

Although it's kinda darkly hilarious right now because they opted not to do a new platform this year, so the current one is full of potshots at 'The Current Administration'. :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Humphreys posted:

The van and mini are probably waiting for parts. I have on my personal rotation at least 5 projects I'm filming/shooting at any one time due to my gently caress ups or lack of parts locally sourcable.

Yeah, Binky's shell is out for paint, then they have the 'this took weeks to film' part of redoing all the wire management when she gets back.

The escargot is at the stage where they're mostly done with demo and now need to have a long think about how to put it back together.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kivi posted:

Don't do those DNA tests, they're just data farming you.

Anyone know a USB to SATA adapter for a 5.25" disk drive? I'm out of SATA ports on my desktop, I have a working drive, and plenty of SATA power connectors. What should I search on eBay/Ali/whatever.

I just stripped my last one out of a cheap USB HDD enclosure, but StarTech's probably got what you need for $15.

Like so: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-SATA-USB-Cable-USB3S2SAT3CB/dp/B00HJZJI84/

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

meatpimp posted:

I had a bat show up in my last house two times. They are loving creepy because they are silent. Like... eerily silent.

There's a very narrow window of people that aren't a piece of poo poo in that show.

Edit: I've been into cars for over 40 years. Time to look to something different. There is a revolution just starting to peek it's head up and I'm all about it. Electric vehicles are superior to ICE vehicles. AI or not. Here's a thought:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90562654/car-design-is-about-to-change-forever-this-video-encapsulates-how

Edit2: Yeah, I've been drinking, but seriously... that is the distillation of a car. You don't need steering linkage, or power steering, or cooling anywhere near an ICE scale, or anything more than rudimentary brakes (assuming that regen braking can be developed properly). That structure is what a car is. A chassis, a means of propulsion, and fuel. Everything else is comfort.

I find myself stuck between wanting what exists, and longing for what is coming. I really liked the Camaro SS convertible that I Turo'd in Hawaii. But as I think about actually buying one, I see the long-term prospects troubling. A Model 3 would be as-fast, or faster. Plus it would have more space and be so much more cost-friendly in the long term (providing Tesla gets their poo poo together, but even if they don't, another company will), and is going to be obsolete in our lifetime.

Everything is fucky right now, but god drat, there's promise on the horizon that we shouldn't lose track of.

A Model 3 would be cool... if it were made by a company that is likely to exist and provide parts support 10 or 15 years down the road when it starts needing major work.

Tesla as a company is destined to fail, hopefully they exist long enough to drag the major automakers into deciding that electric vehicles should be mainstream... and our entire power infrastructure changes to allow for it.

Krakkles posted:

I believe I’m supposed to laugh at the idea of needing a license

... but that actually makes a ton of sense, my state already does it, and I would vote for it federally

Only if it's free, shall-issue, and doesn't include the ability for the police to swing by and 'inspect your storage' at their leisure. I distinctly remember what a good ol' boys clusterfuck may-issue carry permits were here, and giving police a pass on probable cause to enter and 'coincidentally' find a reason to search someone's house for drugs is never, ever a good thing.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 11, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ferremit posted:

I’ve had the cops do a firearms inspection on my place and it was a totally painless experience. They just wanted to know that my firearms are in a safe, not just laying around, that the keys aren’t kept in plain sight and no one else knows where they are and that your stuff is actually stored properly.

Guy spent more time talking bout hunting and what I had than actually doing the inspection. Tho these are Australian cops, so your mileage may vary in places where your police force is less..... professional...

Yeah, this is the US, where cops shoot dogs as a matter of course and get caught planting drugs on their body camera feeds. Would I trust my safety for a podunk county sheriff's deputy to drop by and check on my safe, out here in flyover country, population two cows and an infinite amount of corn? Sure.

Would I trust that to be universal among every person and law enforcement department in the country? gently caress no.

Rhyno posted:

An equal amount of dipshits are obsessed with the hero fantasy. They honestly think they will save the day if poo poo goes down.

We have a fuckstick that open carries at cars and coffee and he is very confrontational. He heard someone making Mustang Driver jokes so he confronted the dude and when the joke maker refused to back down our resident fuckstick rested his hand on his gun. The entire mood changed immediately.

I HATE guys that open carry.

People who open carry outside of stuff like hunting shouldn't be carrying at all.

The point of carrying a defensive firearm is that it is a tool of last resort, and nobody knowing you have it unless you need it is a big part of how you keep situations from escalating such that violence gets involved.

The real first line of defense is knowing how to avoid bad situations and when to walk away.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

STR posted:

Brief jump into the religion chat. I was raised Baptist. Went full atheist for a long time. Consider myself agnostic today, but occasionally attend a Unitarian Universalist church (with COVID, it's been via FB Live), and have been (off and on) for several years now. The one near my first place in the Austin area didn't quite feel right for me, but the big UU church in Austin feels like home (there's a third here that I haven't been to). The one near where I went to university near DFW was pretty great.

They don't judge, they don't care what religion you are, what you're wearing (serious, people went to the one by my university in tank tops and shorts), what your hair color is. Just show up, say hi, hang out a bit, learn a bit about every religion. I think it's pretty great to learn about everything from Catholicism to Paganism in one place.

tl;dr don't judge others lest you be judged

Jeff Bezos is supposedly driving a 1996 (or 97?) Honda Accord that he's had forever (as cheap as Amazon is in every way, this doesn't surprise me one bit). Mark Zuckerberg used to drive a Honda Fit, apparently his daily is an Acura TSX now. Michael Bloomberg drives a Suburban. Warren Buffet drives a 14 year old CTS.

The only standout out of the 5 richest people in the US (from the list I found) is Bill Gates, he has a couple of Porches, a Tesla, and a Corvette. Nothing exactly exotic except for one of the Porches (959).

Bezos is one of the richest people in the world, if not the richest. He didn't get there by driving expensive cars (in fact I'd bet he bought that Accord used when Amazon IPO'd).

Of course, these guys are all rich enough to have a car collection of some kind; Zuck has a Golf GTI and a Pagani in addition to the TSX, Bloomberg has an R8, Gates has at least 4 cars. But the richest people are driving pretty pedestrian cars overall.

Joke's on us, Bezos 'drives' that car in as much as he could notionally drive it, but does most of his travelling by private plane. He keeps it for the optics.

Jeff Bezos doesn't pop down to the corner store for a loaf of bread and dozen eggs without a security team in tow.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Krakkles posted:

I mean, you're probably right. I was knocked off my motorcycle by a car ~10 years ago (dang, time flies...) and my shoulder still aches when it gets even a little cold. Like, Southern California "a little cold".

Louis CK is a moron but he was pretty dead on about getting old. "That's just how it's going to be from now on."

Yup. My bad knee is like that. Just kinda 'this is how it is now', because it's never going back to what it was.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

I got a 31 on my ACT and have been in community college on and off for 8 years

Acedemic tests just test how well you do on tests

Same, and have dropped out of college several times and been dumb enough to volunteer to moderate a forum. :v:

Standardized testing is best at showing how well you do on standardized tests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

Anyone wanting to "get into" anime without getting into anime so to speak should go watch Cowboy Bebop. It's not that "anime" at all, is a good science fiction show, is only one season, and despite being from the late 90s the English dub is so good that the creator of the show thinks it's excellent. It stars Steve Blum, who has an extremely prolific career as a voice actor and is probably best known as the animated voice actor for Wolverine since the late '00s, as well as being the voice of Toonami.

There's a really good 1080p blu-ray release of it that you can :files: up, and despite it being a 4:3 show it was totally shot with 16:9 in mind so if 4:3 annoys you, you can for the most part set VLC to crop to 16:9 and 99% of the shots are still perfectly framed

If you've played a voice acted AAA videogame in the last 15 years you know Steve Blum's voice. Dude is incredibly prolific.

64bit_Dophins posted:

If you're looking for anime to watch check out Gunsmith Cats and Cyber City Odeo

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113236/

Gunsmith cats is only 3 eps but it features a Shelby GT500 and a lot of realistic guns. More or less mindless but very cool and fun.

The artist behind GSC, Kenichi Sonoda, has a new OVA coming out soon set in a version of the same universe as well. Dunno if the plots going to be any good, but his obsessive level of detail on guns and cars should make it watchable.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 26, 2020