Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Bittersweet moment, my daughter drove up to see me, only to steal my Halloween decorations for her dorm room. As in, she only wanted the decorations. Ah well, I bribed her into hanging out for a while with Chinese food. First time I've seen her since dropping her off at school, and it was the longest I've ever gone without seeing her.

I've always gone to Halloween parties and never decorated my house. This ghost is the first Halloween decoration I ever bought, at her insistence, when she was 4 years old. She has now taken him away to college. He was my household harbinger of Halloween, he always came out October 1 to bring in the season.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

slothrop posted:

I finally managed to get a haircut, 6 months after I really needed one.

I like the way you went full chaos mode for the before picture.

I slept all day today, uncontrollably. I went to a private lake with a buddy of mine yesterday and he did some fishing while I got hammered. I think I shocked my body, because I quit drinking on 4th of July. I spent most of the last couple years drinking alone and I packed on the weight and got super depressed and un-motivated. Stopping drinking has led to improvement in both areas, so now I'm 100% committed to only drinking socially, which I did yesterday. But now it's 2:30AM and even studying the driver's manual isn't making me tired.

Speaking of which, when moving to Oregon they make you take the 'written' driver's test again. Should be interesting, although I trained my daughter within the last 2 years so I have an advantage. I did just learn in Oregon it's illegal to exceed the speed limit, ever, including when passing on a 2 lane road. It's legal to temporarily speed when passing in Colorado, and I just did some quick googling and it varies by state. Interesting to note, if asked I would have failed that question.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Came home this morning around 4, milled around for a few minutes, and just before I went to bed I find a bat flying back and forth across my living/dining room. Scared the poo poo out of me. Fortunately I have vaulted ceilings so it wasn't down in my face but I still bolted out of the room. It kind of followed me, then went back in to the other rooms, then swooped at me, then back, etc. Finally I opened the back door and stood there hoping to see it fly out, when I heard my dad opening his bedroom door. I skulked over to tell him we have a loving bat in the house, but suddenly there was no sign of it. I looked around for an hour while he ate breakfast, after which we concluded that it must have flown out, and I just missed it. It was silent and quick as hell. So I slept for 3 hours, got up to pee, and now my adrenaline's back up because I'm still worried that it's here somewhere and is gonna swoop me again. Also worried that there's some secret bat hole that he can get in and out of, with his bat friends or family. We shall see.

Or my dad is :drac:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

meatpimp posted:

On a contrary note, and considering that I had a shotgun before I was 10 years old, I am extremely :rolleyes: at the US and guns for "protection." It's fear, pure and simple. So much of the US gun culture is based on fear of some bad guy coming to take your stuffs, I'm tired of it and it's embarrassing. Is there a chance? Yes, more here than anywhere, because people are crazy with guns, but still, the overwhelming majority of the US citizenry is not living in an area where firearms for protection will EVER come into play.

Exactly. The most gun-crazy friends I know are extremely afraid, all the time. I tried to have the conversation once about how they're far more likely to shoot each other than a crook, I've tried to point out that they've never in their entire lives even come close to having someone break in while they're home, etc etc. All it did was make them mad and label me someone who brings up politics too much. They sleep with their guns ("won't be much use if it isn't loaded") and review the footage from their security cameras as part of their daily routine. The closest thing they've found to an aggressor is a dude climbed in their hot tub a couple times in the middle of the night, so they started using the locks. Mostly they'd show me how they caught a fox or skunk or racoon on video. They have a strict call and answer policy of shouting out each others names whenever they enter the house, but I still worry occasionally that they'll become a statistic.

In personal news, the rainy season has begun in Oregon. It will be mostly gray and wet between now and May. My friends are concerned that after living in Denver for 21 years I'll get SAD. On the contrary, it's peaceful and calming to me. I love it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The bat swooped out of the bathroom tonight, apparently that's where he went instead of outside like we thought. We have a cast iron tub so between that and the shower curtains there were plenty of little crannies to hide in, even though I looked for him there. My brother was coming out after using it and got swooped. He had the presence of mind to shut the door so there was nowhere for the bat to hide - the rest of the house is very open. We opened all 3 doors, one of which was very close to where he was swooping around, and suddenly he wasn't there. So while we still didn't see him exit, confidence is high he is definitely gone this time. Also my dad and brother were there to both witness it and verify that neither of them are :drac:

I'm super glad he didn't decide to wake up while I was showering an hour earlier. I would have been trapped in there with him all naked and would have probably broke a hip scrambling out of the tub. Old cast iron tubs are sketchy for showering to begin with, the bottoms are not flat at all. Mom loved it, but I'll probably get rid of it when I remodel that bathroom.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah my position on the homeless is that we're a rich enough country that we can provide basic services even for the assholes who don't deserve it. Sucks that we're cruel enough as a society to choose not to. We always paint the poor with a broad brush, citing worst case abusers of the system as a reason to not have one.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Reuben Sandwich posted:

Well A.I., I'm going to start trying to get my father's '31 Model A coupe rolling again. Would people be interested in the long term affair or is it too old?

Never don't post a project thread. Bring it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

On the eye of the needle thing, it's pretty obvious that there's no rules lawyering it when you read the whole passage:

The Bible posted:

20 “Teacher,” the man replied, “I’ve obeyed all these commandments since I was young.”

21 Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. “There is still one thing you haven’t done,” he told him. “Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22 At this the man’s face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions.

23 Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the Kingdom of God!” 24 This amazed them. But Jesus said again, “Dear children, it is very hard to enter the Kingdom of God. 25 In fact, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!”

And the icing on the cake a few lines later:

The Bible posted:

31 But many who are the greatest now will be least important then, and those who seem least important now will be the greatest then.

Maybe Princess Leia said it best: ”If money is all that you love, then that's what you will receive." There is literally no excuse for anyone calling themselves a christian to have any kind of stockpile of money, or any at all depending on how literal you read it, and how many verses you can find contradicting it.

On the flip side, I don't believe in an afterlife, so to me what we do here is even more important than most religions say it is.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 14, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah as private as this place is with the $10 troll filter, it's still pretty drat public and goons are still pretty weird.

I love you please don't doxx me

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

trouser chili posted:

Every time I wake up it’s cause blood is pouring from my mouth. This isn’t good. I can get it to stop by literally hosing my mouth down with Afrin. Doesn’t taste great.

I really don’t want to go to the ER.

Shouldn't they be able to cauterize that or something? It's been a week or more right? Good luck man.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Just watched the new Borat. I gotta say, 2 things: I'm really not a fan of cringe humor. On the flip side, I recognize the mastery of it that Sacha Baron Cohen has of it. Maria Bakalova is an amazing find for him, she's insanely good at doing what he needed for this movie. But holy poo poo is it cringey. I don't find myself laughing as much as just sitting there saying "holy poo poo" over and over, and wondering if he's going to catch a beating.

Garage chat: my new garage is 24 x 24 in the regular 2 car section, with a 2.5 car long side slot. Dad made some good calls when designing this place.

The neglected yard is slowly looking better, I've trimmed a lot of dead wood and brush out of the front, as well as weeds. Actually it was a good friend who showed up on a Saturday morning with a chainsaw and power washer and kicked my rear end out of bed. I weeded and lopped while he very nicely power washed my front walk and some of the driveway which was overgrown with super slick moss, and then cut off the largest unwanted branches from two trees. Amazing what spending a few hours just trimming and pulling out plants you don't want can do for a yard. It doesn't look nice yet, but it doesn't look like absolute unkempt poo poo anymore either, and Amazon delivery people won't slip and die when it rains.

Trees and sidewalk before and after:

I still have to get in there and shorten a lot of the branches, and remove the dead ones from very high up. What sucks is there's one large trash can for yard trimmings, and I've already filled it twice and there's still a large pile on the side of the house. It only gets emptied every two weeks, which really means I'm going to have to go pay $20 a truckload to get rid of what I cut out of this yard until it's manageable. Otherwise I lose motivation because I have nowhere to put what I trim.

On the non-yard front, 2 of the 5 extra cars are gone, thanks to my dad's willingness to move on them. Once we're down to our own cars the garage and parking will be very manageable. Also he hasn't driven his convertible since last year so I think he may be willing to sell it and just ride in mine when the weather is nice. That would leave us with 4 cars and a 4 car garage, with a 2 car port in back.

Sadly just as I moved here to enjoy time with him, his health took a turn, but he's slowly on the mend now. He had been hiding the fact that he's incontinent from the family all year, just out of shame. Turns out he had the typical enlarged prostate, and his bladder was full and basically overflowing at all times. He had to reveal everything the week before I moved here, because he ended up in the hospital with kidney failure. Turns out when the kidneys can't push urine in to the bladder, they shut down. So 1 catheter and 1 prostate procedure later, he's actually kicking the incontinence. But his kidney function is only about halfway back so he's super fatigued all the time, and hasn't had the energy to help me with anything, and it's making him depressed. We both were hoping to do a bunch of stuff before I basically became his hospice nurse and errand boy, instead it started immediately.

Taking a sabbatical was a wise move, I'm very glad I don't have the stress of a new job added to the mix.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

Don't you have a selection of wagons or are they all too nice to fill with yard trimmings?

I could use my dad's, it's kind of a beater, but I'd worry about all the spiders that would jump ship from the trimmings and make the car theirs. I have a couple friends with trucks, what I'm really bitching about is the lack of free disposal.

Capitalism chat: We have a modest newspaper mill here in town, it used to employ several hundred people and its entire output supplied the paper for the LA Times. One of the side benefits to the community was they had a small power plant that ran off tree waste. So they had a dump station for the entire community to drop off yard debris and scrap lumber or old wood furniture, anything natural and flammable, for free. It was awesome.

The mill got purchased n 2015 by a large competitor that immediately closed it down to reduce supply and drive prices up. It's been dead ever since. A significant percentage of locals lost their secure union jobs, and now it costs the whole town $20 a cubic yard to put it in the landfill. Long term, the bin I have should be adequate if I'm just weeding and pruning, but the yard's been neglected for 15 years. So I'll probably spend about $60 by the time the yard is all cleaned up.

StormDrain posted:

For yard trimmings, do yall make little bundles in the wheelbarrow? Put two lengths of masons line across the wheelbarrow, fill with cut pieces of twigs, and then cinch it down with the string line. I usually do about 4 of those out with the trash and they pick it up with the bin.

Our city has debris pickup and we get a bin just like the recycling and trash, they pick it up every 2 weeks. Just like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 24, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

StormDrain posted:

You're in like, Oregon now right? I can't imagine putting that to enough use here in Denver. I do a couple big trims, and then a few little trims and cleanups that end up being a bag or two throughout the year. Grass is mulched into the lawn, the first fall of leaves are mulched in. My maple tree is about to drop it's load, same with the Apple, so I'll probably get a few bags but not too bad.

Yeah the difference between west OR and CO is radical. I have a friend in CO who has tried and failed to grow tomatoes for the 16 years I've known her. In OR it's like "whoops, I grew some tomatoes along with all the other poo poo I thought about growing but really didn't try and now it's here and I need to prune the plants or they will overgrow the side of my house".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

64bit_Dophins posted:

I think everyone is really going through it lately.

For sure, I'm waking up grumpy a lot lately. Yesterday was a beautiful day, almost 70 degrees and sunny. So I took out my convertible for probably the last time this year, and drove down to my daughter's college to stick new license plates on her car. My dad came along and got some sunshine, and my daughter came out and gave us each a hug. It was nice to get out in the world while simultaneously forgetting about it for a while.

So all my cars are registered and I got my new license in the mail Monday. Downside, it cost about $1100. Upside, I think that makes my move complete. :feelsgood: