Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

meatpimp posted:

:siren: Trump has covid.

For reals?
E:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/01/politics/hope-hicks-positive-coronavirus/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

bolind posted:

Even if it isn't a hoax, if he recovers he's totally going to spin it this way.

:emptyquote:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Who are the most prominent republicans to publicly endorse Biden/Harris?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

BraveUlysses posted:

who gives a poo poo, all Republicans are trash
You should, because they can potentially win the election by flipping others.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Taliban has endorsed Trump. For real.
:lol:

RE: Internet speeds: I can get Gigabit up/down but limited by my 5e, so I save few bucks and go with 750/750. :downs:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Krakkles posted:

Licensure requirements for firearms don’t mix well with a viral pandemic?

What are you going to do, shoot the virus?
I presume he was talking about Canada?
You need to take a test which is normally part of an in-person course. Suffice to say most providers of said courses are not exactly technically savvy (and there is some hands-on) so it's not a great time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I like the idea of a bidet, but I do not like the idea of icy cold tap water :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You are aware they can be plumbed into the hot water too and usually are, right?

I know anything is *possible* but the toilet I would be interested to put one has neither power nor hotwater near the crapper, vanity is the opposite side of the room and it would be no small job to install.

Might try it with cold though. I could see that being a wake up in the morning.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's a gorgeous car.

Speaking of

:stare:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-240z-160/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Other than the MS Surface/Surface Go series, is there a tablet that runs true Windows?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

everdave posted:

What do you need it to do? I ask because their are surprisingly quite a few small, underpowered win 10 tablets.

I still daily a now almost 6 year old surface pro 2

I can look at the office today if you tell me your needs and budget for one a couple of years ago their was a flood of $79 windows 10 tablets bc Microsoft was licensing windows for free if the screen was under a certain size
That's super generous and I appreciate the kind offer, but it's a gift to someone so probably not appropriate :)

That said, not entirely sure what they are doing with it but I am sure they have ~reasons~ as to wanting a windows native tablet instead of Android. Just don't want to buy woefully underpowered junk if I can avoid it. Probably go with an 8GB M3-8100y unit, unless there are better/more affordable options.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jesus Chili, yeah, get that checked out dude.

Also
:stare:

Rudy Giuliani caught on film trying to rail some chick he supposedly thought was underage? :wtc:

https://twitter.com/anoncatanoncat/status/1318979654422724608

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

meatpimp posted:

I've been keeping my wife apprised of your journey. She's 41 and wants to get her tonsils out. You are affecting her sleep.
If it helps, my wife had hers taken out around 43 and it was perfectly fine. She was basically normal within a few days.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Darchangel posted:

I'm looking for suggestions from engineering/fab-minded folks.

A while back, I installed a sliding under-counter trashcan in the kitchen:

(I don't think I took a picture of it installed...)

I want it to pull out when the door is opened. Currently, I have a bit of cord attached, which works, but doesn't push it *back* when the door is closed, and also introduces a shock when the door is opened, then the slack is pulled tight, before the drawer starts coming out. I removed one of the auto-close mechanisms to make it a little easier to pull out, BTW. It was pretty aggressive.
Ideally, I would attach the door to the drawer, and just have the whole assembly slide out - in fact, brackets were included for that - but I have a 55-year old not-updated kitchen that uses external hinges, so it wouldn't look right, and if I remove the hinges, it would leave a scar that would have to be cleaned up. This is still a possibility, but what I'm looking for is some sort of semi-rigid sliding guide that I can attach, sort of like a car window roller, that would pull the drawer out when the door is opened, and push it back in when the door is closed.

Here's a diagram of what I'm talking about :

I'm basically needing the bits in green and purple.

I could probably fabricate something with C-channel and roller-skate bearings, but a nicely made existing solution would be nice.

I ran across linear bearings/linear guides, as used in 3D printers, and those are relatively cheap from China:
https://www.amazon.com/Yeahmart-Cylinder-Optical-Support-Bearing/dp/B07Z4X5ZCB/

https://www.amazon.com/Usongshine-Bearing-Sliding-Engraving-H-Type%EF%BC%8C300mm/dp/B07Y2SNX4R/

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001166133337.html

I like the first and last one most, as they would seem better suited to the pulling forces I'm anticipating.
An additional thought is that I will need to be able to release the door from the drawer occasionally for access to the under cabinet area (think: plumbing) but not on a regular basis, so a nut and bolt are reasonable.
Does anyone have a better idea, or know of a part better-suited to the application? I think the linear guide will work (and are cheap enough), but I don't want to overlook something better or cheaper that is just outside my knowledge.

edit: with respect for getting older and stuff breaking. Yeah, knees, shoulders, ankles... None are non-functional, they're all just... creaky.
I don't know if I'm misunderstanding you, but I think you're making this more complicated than need be. Can't you just use something like a drawer slide and make some sort of a little bracket to attach to it?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Darchangel posted:

You'd think so, and that's sort of what a linear bearing is, but think about how a drawer slide works. It doesn't have one short piece that can travel the whole length of the rail. It's got two long rails joined by a piece in between that rolls between the two pieces, so the sliding bit really can't be shortened much if at all. First thing I investigated.

Not quite what I was envisioning, but I think I have a better, simpler idea.

Bottom of your basket, small bracket with what I would call a cam follower bearing, or basically a small wheel on a stud. Maybe a 3/4" OD with a 1/4 or 5/16 stud. We have super heavy ones in industry, but I'm pretty sure I've seen light duty ones with ball bearings (instead of needle bearings) in home depot in the general hardware aisle. On the bottom "door", a small bit of channel, sort of upside down so it traps the wheel in it and moves the basket up/down as the door opens closes. I'm on my laptop so I can't easily sketch, but does that make sense?

e: Also to those that recommended "The Good Place" last month. Great little series. Like all shows, some episodes/seasons better than others, but it was a refreshing kind of cute not serious show.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 23, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ I'm doing on online U right now and I can do it, but I have a super hard time compared to in person lectures. That said, I don't mind online testing as long as they, you know, make sense.

So how are you guys doing Halloween this year for the trick or treaters?

Doing it at all? If so, any changes?

I'm thinking we will try to make it as normal as possible. Plan on prepackaging everything in little individual bags like normal and as long as the weather is agreeable, just sit on my step so they don't have to all come up the step and hit the doorbell.

Wearing a mask of course.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Darchangel posted:

Oh, yeah, that's what I was describing as my initial idea - like a window roller guide for a car side glass, the type used to actually lift the glass in a scissor lift style. I just went looking to see if something like that already existed, which is where I got on to the linear bearings. I've got a set of inline skate wheel bearings (think the bearings in fidget spinners) I could easily use. They're right around 3/4", so a 1" C-channel should work. I might just try that (because I get to *build* things!) first, and move on if it fails
Those are typically 608 bearings, 22mm OD. I'd personally not go with a straight bearing like that.. something more like a wheel. Bearing steel is very hard, it will eventually wear through the channel and don't always roll super easy because they are so smooth.

I'm thinking something more like this but maybe a bit smaller on the OD inside your channel.

https://www.amazon.ca/Prime-Line-Pr...974357255&psc=1

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 23, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

We've had ~300 kids a year last few years, and I don't know if we have any active cases in our satellite town so I suspect a lot of kids will still get out. My friends that have kids have all said they'll let them go.

I wouldn't be surprised if some parents from the city, which does have some cases, take their kids out here.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

BuckyDoneGun posted:

NZ voted in favour of euthanasia 65.2% vs 33.8% but against legal weed 53.1 vs 46.1. 2020 continues the rampage of suck.
Actually a little surprised by that. NZ seems to be super liberal from what I know, probably even more so than Canada. Are the young-ish people there just not voting? I don't really understand why anyone cares what someone does in their own home in TYOOL2020.

Euthanasia is an immensely good thing, and I'd argue if only 1 of those things could pass, that should be it.

My brother in law just went through that process here and while there were tremendous checks and balances (and every opportunity to stop the process at any time, right up until the literal last moment), it was fairly simple and they made the process as good as they can.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

One of my dream items is a skidsteer with a climate controlled cab for snow duty in the winter and playing in the dirt/gravel in the summer.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

:rip: Sean Connery.

Yet again, gently caress 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Counted ~225 kids this year...about 25% less than normal but still way more than I expected.