Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I’m a bit late to bike chat but if anyone is in need of a bike in PA, you can definitely have mine. It’s a 2012-ish GT Karakoram 3.0 29”. I don’t use it regularly anymore and it’s always been kept in the garage. Could probably use a going-over, and there’s a spot in the frame paint that got bit by the chain, but it would probably be better for someone else to use it.

When I had my old job and old house I would ride it 20 miles a day before work, but now I’m on call 24/7 and spend most of my life at the hospital so I don’t have the energy or time. My kid only rides it very occasionally but he’s more interested in motorized transport anymore.

Anyway, I wish I’d bought a year truck pass to the off-road park at the beginning of the season. I bought a pass for the bikes but I didn’t have the blazer until later so I didn’t think about it. Would have been only a few bucks more to buy the full upgrade, and paying per session is :cry:

At least off-roading is good social distancing. Here’s the boy with nobody within six feet of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I’m in the “got a bunch of guns but don’t post obsessively about them” gang. They’re fun for target practice and obviously hunting but the ammo situation has gotten ridiculous this year. I can’t find a single box of 30-30 for my deer rifle (only have 13 rounds left) and finding bricks of cheap poo poo .22 for plinking with my son was a complete bitch.

Can’t say I don’t have one of the pistols nearby for the just-in-case scenarios but honestly I have no desire to ever use it. I’m perfectly happy with shooting at paper, spinning targets, rubber cubes and bowling pins in the backyard.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

McStephenson posted:

EVERYONE.

WASH YOUR BUTTHOLE.

That is all.

No.

I will not be taking questions at this time.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Speaking of guns and high velocity crazy, my son took this outside a gun store today while he and my wife were out and about getting the barn cat neutered.

https://youtu.be/i-6uLtJ0Y9s

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Tractor chat: I just pulled the trigger on a new Kubota BX23S with loader, backhoe, pallet forks and a snow pusher bucket. It’s more than I need but it will have lots of versatility for the farmette.

Like this:

In the spring I’ll probably get a brush hog mower for the rear PTO but grass cutting is done for the year, and snow will be here soon so I prioritized on the pusher instead of the mower.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 30, 2020

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

trouser chili posted:

I'm super jealous of a backhoe. I kinda need to replace part of my sewer main and would just loving love it if I could do the job myself. I think maybe one or two have been fabbed-up for the 400-series tractors, but I gotta imagine they're a little on the small side. Do you have any idea how Kubota parts availability and pricing is compared to Deere? Cause Deere is stupid proud of its parts.

Based on the implements I’ve ordered along with the machine, the prices seem reasonable. I paid $450 for forks and $1075 for the snow pusher. I think a 60” brush hog is $1500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ferremit posted:

The kubota backhoes on their little tractors are good, but they’re not really that great. The machine isn’t really heavy enough to anchor it down properly so you end up hauling yourself into your own hole if the grounds hard digging and they really don’t have the power to really get stuck in.

The ones they bolt to the back of the L4600 machines tho are basically just their 3 tonne excavator booms on a tractor and they’re monsters!

Hopefully I won’t be using it for anything insanely heavy duty. I couldn’t really justify a heavy tractor for my house - the subcompact should fulfill more than my needs. Fingers crossed.

This is my first experience in owning a tractor, but we have been doing everything manually around here and turning tons of compost, clearing the drainage channel from the natural spring, trying to move the goat houses etc. all by hand are beginning to be too much. Not to mention I am getting bids to build my new garage in the spring and I’d like to put tire machines and a lift in, but freight companies don’t like to deliver if you don’t have a machine with forks to unload the truck.

I was looking at used units and noticed that the older ones with backhoes didn’t have outriggers, but the new ones do. Theoretically this should give you more resistance to being dragged into the hole, right?

On the topic of bids, I had a builder come out yesterday and say that he doesn’t think he can build me a pole building of the size I want for less than US $80-100k, which is completely insane since we already have one quote for half of his low number. Then he told us he wouldn’t even start a proposal without “a few hundred bucks for my time.” So he’s out of the running.

The second contractor who was supposed to come yesterday had my wife waiting on him for an hour, and then eventually called and said he “lost track of time and wouldn’t be coming”, so my take away from that is that he apparently doesn’t need my business.