Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

My wife and I have been having some rough conversations about cutting off her incredibly racist extended family. She can't bring herself to do it since both her parents have already died and she's unable to deal with the emotional baggage of kicking them out of our lives. I just had to step my entire position back to avoid a full blown fight the other night but we can't tip toe around it much longer.

Dude just do it, we've said before that you don't owe family anything just because you're related. If your wife needs reassurance have her talk to a therapist I guarantee a therapist will tell her the same thing. The temporary "emotional baggage" pails in comparison to continuing a relationship with toxic people. Naturally she will feel bad about it at first, but those feelings will disappear with a little time. Been there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I know this, she does not. She's never had to excise a poo poo family member before, let alone 7 of them all at once. For now the compromise is i dont have to go see them and they are not welcome in my house.

Yeah that's a good start at least to try to keep yourself sane. For her it might take more time for it to pile on, and then there will be one incident that eventually puts it over the edge for her.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

How is that even a thing still? Hell, I cry all the time. If you're not crying, you're not paying attention. How much less of a man does that make me? None, it makes me stronger, because I deal with the poo poo, but still recognize it's poo poo.

Bill Burr explains this perfectly when having to get rid of his dog, most men tend to bottle it up and just add it to the "shelf of anger" :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoxIrm95E4Q

I'll admit that I'm guilty of this, but the angry outbursts aren't quite as bad as they used to be :unsmith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

Not a daughter but the sentiment is the same regardless. If there is any one thing I like about the pandemic it's that I'm getting a lot of family time. My son is 16, a junior in high school. Only about a year and a half left....

Showed that image to my wife and she asked if the father was taking or giving, guess it could go either way :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I dunno abut a hoax, he'd be better off pointing out he never got it to begin with if he was going to spin "it's not a big deal"

[e] Plus if he was gonna do that it would have been earlier in the pandemic so he could have time to "recover", not right before the election in the middle of debates where he could possibly lose votes

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The best outcome is if Trump has a tube down his loving throat

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 2, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

lmao why the gently caress would anyone want to hear Republicans opinions? they're a minority of the population and are morally repugnant shitheads

Isn't it kind of dangerous to underestimate them? I mean that's how we got to where we are now to begin with

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm not really sweating on that outcome anymore.

Yeah me either I'd be shocked if he wins at this point

Rhyno posted:

I just went off on someone on FB who says it doesn't effect if trump wins again. I kind of want to set their house on fire.

The time you spend raging on FB you will never get back btw

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

However you get to see the next month while rear end in a top hat-in-Cheif suffering as his campaign collapses, even more of his vile poo poo is exposed and it becomes clear he is going to get an epic wipe out all the while he gets a tube stuck down his throat.

Okay the last one is more of a wish but there's a really siginifigant chance it does happen.

Yeah no point dwelling on the past, Trump is done imo, this will be over soon and we can it behind us.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jim Carey as Joe Biden is amazing :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsije1KetVw

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Love that the gay community has hijacked #ProudBoys on twitter it's awesome

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

There is no way to tell what is even real anymore.

Literally, it's hard not to get apathetic over all of it.

Every time someone tells me a story they read or heard about these days (did you hear THIS? Did you see about THAT?) and expects me to take it as gospel because it's from them (family, friends) just makes me roll my eyes like why the gently caress should I believe any of it? Oh because you told me? Ok.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

Speaking of, the Q Anon stuff has gotten way bigger than I could have ever imagined.

You know, I've heard of this and never really looked into it so I had no idea what it really was all about.

I just read some of the wiki page about it and.....Ugh.

Somebody burn down the internet please

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Edie Van Halen is dead, gently caress 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

gently caress cancer, too.

Yep

I'm a huge fan of his, can't believe I just spelled his name wrong but i'm still kind of in shock

I'll never forget as a kid hearing the first Van Halen album and being blown away by what I heard. Doesn't happen too much these days anymore, it's all been done and what's left are the imitators.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've had encounters with random guys before that seemed way too nice and interested in me for some reason and I didn't put 2 and 2 together until later that they were probably flirting with me :v:

Also had a gay coworker try to tell me that just because I'm straight doesn't mean I wouldn't or shouldn't try.....Um no thanks I'm good I like women :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have guns too and would like some more :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I originally bought a gun for "protection" because I live in Florida, we get lots of hurricanes and in the aftermath of hurricanes there is almost always issues with looting. Hurricane Andrew years ago was particularly bad in that regard and it left an impression on me, lots of people just trying to survive through it were victimized.

But once I got it I also realized it was pretty fun to shoot at targets, then I met my wife and she had guns and we went shooting together and it was fun :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

With all the subforum name changes - is there a unofficial/not actually legal advise thread?
I'm not sure all who remember, but I posted months ago about my wifing bringing home/wanting to help a homeless family... and well, it went terribly terribly wrong. I had the mom removed by the sheriff this morning and just spend an hour on the phone with DHS/CPS...Currently researching restraining orders/death threats. Wish me luck!

Ugh. "No good deed goes unpunished" is true I guess. That sucks man, hope it all works out for you.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wrar posted:

My kid has been waking up between 4 and 6:30 for the last I dunno 5 days. :shepicide: :negative:

Don't worry, when they're a pre-teen/teenager they'll sleep all day :v:

Just went down a youtube rabbit hole of "The Joe Pesci Show" and it it was hilarious. I miss the old SNL :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Is it a Testarossa or a 512 TR cuz the former is a bit poo poo and latter a much nicer car to drive

Interesting, I've never even heard of the 512 TR so I had to look it up. I don't think we ever got those in the states, did we? So it would have to be the former and even tho it's a bit poo poo it's still one of Ferrari's best designs imo.

[e] looks like we did get them, never knew there were different generations of the Testarossa that's pretty cool, there's also a third gen F512 M that look to be pretty rare.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 13, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow is that in your shop right now? If so what are the odds of that haha.

It looks really good, but I don't know how to feel about no pop up head lights :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

For one, simply acquiring that much wealth requires some seriously broken morals.

Ugh yeah, I don't care enough about money to step on people's backs to get it. The amount of people that are hosed over to get to that kind of position must be astronomical.

Unless you just stumble into it like winning the lottery or something, then I'd just try to disappear with my family basically.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah my back doesn't let me sleep much anymore either. I'm lucky if I get 7 or 8 hours these days.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BigPaddy posted:

My wife has a lot of back and joint issues that caused her to have issues sleeping. We bought one of those nectar mattresses and it has helped her a lot. Any of the memory foam ones should do and they are not too bad price wise.

I had a memory foam (tempurpedic) and it just made it worse because they don't offer enough support, your body "sinks" into it.

I need a mattress that's stiff as a board to support my back or it's no bueno. We're thinking of sleep number beds now, that way at least my wife doesn't have to suffer as well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

I have a Sleep Number and love mine. A couple of things I learned when shopping:

Start with the c2 (the least expensive regular priced one). Don't start with the most expensive (i10).

Spend at least 15 minutes in your normal sleep position on each mattress. Bring your own pillow.

Start with each mattress at 100 and gradually decrease in 10 point increments until you're comfy. Use the 5 point increments as fine tuning.

Your number on one mattress will not necessarily transfer to another.

If your number is 30 or lower on any mattress, you really should try the next higher mattress series. If your number is 80 or higher on any mattress, you should try the next lowest mattress series (which has less foam padding).

The adjustable bases are a ripoff - unless you really want/need one. They are inordinately expensive and their trial offer doesn't apply to it. And it has a shorter warranty than the mattress.

If you really want an i10 (their top model), Oct is the month to buy one - $700 off and free delivery/setup is as low as they ever go. Once a quarter there will be one "low as it goes" deal - it's almost always an upper tier model. The best deal on the c2 is $200 off. It's never more than that.

Cool man thanks for all that info!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Home speaker derail -- I finally got everything except the subwoofer set up and wired through the cabinet/ceiling/faceplates/etc.

I have always had a 5.1 setup, and never took the time or energy to set up a 7.1. Man, was I wrong. Now that I've got 7.1, I can't see going back. There's so much atmospheric presence added with the two side channels, I'm a bit floored.

Still so much work to do, though.

After doing home theater installs for years I have no desire to set one up. To me my simple 2.1 bose system plugged right into the TV sounds great in my little living room :v:

To be fair tho if I had a giant finished basement like you I'd probably have to do it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Put my Wrangler up for sale today. I'm kind of sad about it, but I just couldn't drive it without the anxiety of feeling completely exposed and vulnerable in it because of my accident. especially with my son riding along, I felt very uncomfortable driving in traffic and all i could think about was what if there was an accident. I thought i was over it but I guess not :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

Didn't you get that not too long ago or am I thinking of someone else?

Yeah just got it recently but haven't driven it at all for the last month.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

I get it, man. I sold my motorcycle this year due to similar feelings. Took a year of just staring at it in the garage before I did though, so good on you for being more decisive.

Well I figured I'm not gonna pay insurance to just let it sit there and take up (limited) space, might as well just get rid of it. I gave up riding motorcycles a long time ago too when i moved here, the area I live in is just too dangerous for riding and it's not all that fun to ride around here anyways. Not worth the risk.

Hang in there dude, the pain and healing really sucks but it will get better, just focus on that light at the end of the tunnel and before you know it you'll be out of it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

If I’d been in anything smaller during my recent accident I probably would have been killed. And of course practically everything is smaller than a crew cab F-150.

So the thought of replacing it with something like a 2021 2 door Bronco gives me a bit of anxiety. I think I’ll probably get over it though.

Yeah if I would have been in my '97 wrangler for my accident I'd be dead for sure.

At least with the new Bronco it should be pretty safe, standards are much better these days.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, I think at this point he'd be hoping for that, instead of "Massachusetts Bedrock".

Been there, when you're making GBS threads rocks or can't poo poo at all you're praying for diarrhea :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sorry about your buddy Rhyno, hope he recovers quickly and hope they catch the bastards that did it.

Anyone else here play guitar? I've been dabbling for awhile off and on, I mostly play the drums, but I've always loved messing around with electric guitars and I'm finally going to treat myself and get an actual real USA made Gibson and not a Chinese version. Then I'm gonna spend some more money and get an actual good amp and have some sort of real tone.

This is kinda like going from a Corolla to a Corvette in car terms :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super psyched my Rays are in the world series, been to so many games I can't even begin to count. Kinda sucks tho because of covid I wasn't able to go to any games but I'll take it.

Also would be pretty cool to win it all right after our NHL team did it too. Could be Title Town in Tampa Bay soon :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hell I was body surfing waves that were probably way too big for me as a kid, got body slammed, and my dick got smashed between the the sea floor and my pelvis. It felt like someone hit my dick with a 5lb hammer, and ever since then I haven't been able to piss in a straight line to save my life.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Started removing tile from more than half the house in preparation for new flooring. What a pain in the dick, I'm trying to mitigate the dust the best I can but it's still everywhere. Been using a giant Makita electric jackhammer that weighs a ton and my back is killing me already with only 1/4 of it done.

It will be awhile now before my house is no longer a construction zone, next is painting the ceiling, walls, and baseboards then ordering the flooring and having that put in so it's gonna be awhile :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The last anime series I actually watched all the way through was Bleach, that was pretty good. Couldn't get through anything else after that. Tried the Titan series and couldn't do it, too much dumb drama and not enough action.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

Newer doesn’t always sell on me. Here’s my thoughts on it:
1: Wife says “go buy new Bronco”
2: New Bronco is $30k depreciation machine.
3: 1987 G-Wagon is OM617 powered
4: I used to have OM616 powered 240d (still have tools and knowledge)
5: I used to off-road a Scout and wanna go off-roading again.
6: A Scout of the same quality as that G-Wagon costs nearly the same and is a comparative bucket of poo poo that will rust apart if you use it.
7: G-wagon, g-wagon, g-wagon!
8: It’ll fit in the neighborhood much better than my crapcan Accord.

I don't know about the bronco being a depreciation machine, if it's anything like the Wrangler (it is) it's going to hold it's value well. Also will have a warranty.

That being said no way I would buy a first year model of anything, I would at least wait until the second MY.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Me too, I have a disability hearing coming up in December and depending on the outcome I either have to find a basic part time job or start all over again with a full time gig that involves almost no manual labor at all because my back is hosed. I can't even bartend anymore because leaning over sinks and coolers all night long completely screws my back. I could fall back on my security experience but working graveyard shifts loving sucks when you have a family, and most places now want you to carry which I'm not comfortable with and even if I was I'm not getting a permit because I have a Medical Marijuana ID.

To top it off the VA has decided that Tramadol is a controlled substance and won't prescribe it to anyone with Marijuana in their system legal or not. I been using it for over ten years now and suddenly I'm a drug addict that can't handle it I guess. It was the only poo poo that helped me without being horribly addictive but apparently idiots are abusing it now and people like me get screwed in the process. Yippie.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

A pair of XJ Cherokees - Speaking of redundancy, can't have just one! This would be fun cause me and my son could offroad together with pair.

I was gonna say, if you just want to do a bit of off roading get an XJ or an old Wrangler and you won't care how bad they get beat up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

I think maybe Missouri is where XJ go to die. Lot of turds out there these days.

Lots of nice ones in Florida still my friend. No rust, that's the most important thing.

If you find any in the west Tampa bay area area I'd be happy to check it out for you.