Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Walmart has started just putting the boxes out in the display racks (where the assembled models usually go) - they're not even bothering to assemble a display model.

But yes, it is, if you don't mind a Walmart special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A few months ago would have really been the perfect time, but yeah bikes are still a bit hard to come by right now. In the US anyway.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well poo poo, I'm annoyed. Trying to renew my car registration, but I haven't received the renewal form yet.

Got the car inspected. Can't renew online because apparently the state doesn't know about the inspection yet (despite it showing online when I look on the vehicle inspection history website). Normally they know the same or next day. I now live in a different county, so I can't just go to the grocery store to renew it (that's a thing here, and sometimes cheaper than doing it directly with the county). Lost the title in the move, so I can't update the drat address on file (you need the title #). I did manage to get a replacement title an hour ago, but I have to do the address update by mail. There's a form you can fill out attached to the renewal letter to update your mailing address, but it doesn't update the car's actual location (or county of registration...)

tl;dr gonna have to wait for the address update to be received and address updated, then I can make an appointment (they're booked solid over a week out) at the tax office. :sigh: I could try to do both at the same time, but with how hard it is to get an appointment, may as well just wait.

Countdown to lowtax getting another visit from the authorities in 3... 2... wait they're already there, aren't they

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 2, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

You know, if Trump wins in a month, every single person who said "I VOTED 3RD PARTY IT'S NOT A WASTE OF MY VOTE" or something similar should get the ever living gently caress kicked out of them.

If you want your vote for president to really, really count, we need to get rid of the electoral college. Trump lost the popular vote in 2016 by a decent chunk (over -2%), but took the electoral vote by over a 5% margin. So did Bush Jr. for his first term, though it was a small margin on the popular (-0.51% I believe) and an equally small victory on the electoral (+0.503%)

You still need to go out and vote, even though ultimately it's the electoral college that decides who wins or loses. SOME of them pay a tiny bit of attention to their constituents' wishes.

Rhyno posted:

We're never getting the last 4 years back

Nope. Even if we keep a far right winger out of the white house for the next 20 years (we likely won't), it's going to take at least that long to undo all of the damage his administration did - both for US issues and international issues. We're the laughing stock of the world at this point.

So if (hopefully when) he loses the reelection... how much you want to be he doesn't follow the tradition started by Reagan (?) of the outgoing president leaving a letter in the oval office for the incoming president? The 4 still-living former presidents are also friendly toward each other, at least in public - something I don't see #45 doing. I see him marching out butthurt as hell and going on a neverending Twitter rant until the natural end of his life about how FAKE NEWS and ELECTION FRAUD!!!111!!1! forced him out of office. If he even agrees to a peaceful transition of power.

shy boy from chess club posted:

Standing behind a guy with no mask at the store yesterday who started COUGHING ALL OVER the woman working, the counter, credit card machine, lotto tickets and about a million other things hundreds of people touch all day.

The 7-11 I used to frequent... the employees stopped wearing masks whenever they're behind their plexiglass shields. The ones held together with packing tape... that have come apart at the seams. They'll tell you to leave if you don't have a mask on, but they don't wear any face covering. I hate to be that rear end in a top hat bitching about face coverings, but I'm in the very high risk group for multiple reasons (overweight [not obese tho], diabetes, high blood pressure...)

A corporate complaint did absolutely nothing, aside from a generic "we take these matters very seriously<tm>" email. Another 7-11 down the road takes it a lot more seriously, though their prices are higher. :sigh: There's nothing 24/7 here anymore except for Denny's, IHOP, and 7-11/Circle K/Quiktrip.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

But it's bring your OBD2? :confused:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bird with big dick posted:

Driving reg chat: at least in oregon the proper spacing when you're stopped at a light/sign is to be far enough back that you can see the bottom of the rear tires of the person in front of you.

That's what I was taught in driving school in Texas, some 25 years ago. I (generally) still follow that today.

I do miss having a manual though. It was always fun rolling back when the light turned green, when someone was RIGHT ON MY rear end and watching them go OHSHIT. Sorta related, I've had a few cars where I literally could not see the hood at all from the driver's seat; I can see hood for miles with Brokeback. Not 80s GM hood, but I can at least see the drat thing. Makes parking so much easier.

slothrop posted:

I finally managed to get a haircut, 6 months after I really needed one.

I kinda prefer the before, speaking as a gay dude. :v: (but not bad at all either way)

I'm looking pretty loving rough these days. I think I've shaved 3 or 4 times this year (I'll take clippers to my face every couple of weeks and buzz it off, but it's been close to 3 weeks now). Had two haircuts this year. Just gonna grow it out again, except because my hair is so wavy, I typically do an undercut. It's beyond time for that (... and some dye).

(tired AF STR)

McTinkerson posted:

[Whole lot of fine looking dudes in AI btw :heysexy:]

Yuuuuuuuuuup. Then you have the old farts club that I belong to.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Probably both.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Because I'm a giant manchild..

https://i.imgur.com/eKD3jUj.gifv

Goober Peas posted:

Halloween was 3 months ago. We're clearly celebrating Christmas according to retail.

You're not wrong, according to Lowe's.

Rhyno posted:

I have joined the "personally know someone who died of Covid " club.

I'm up to 3, with a 4th that was exhibiting all the typical signs of COVID, but tested negative at the hospital. Went onto a ventilator within a few hours of arriving at the ER, dead about 12 hours later. :sigh: Half family, half friends so far. My mother and stepfather both had somewhat mild cases as well, I was a loving wreck during that.

Sorry for your loss.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 6, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Today is my roommate's birthday. I'm not social, particularly since I'm high risk and COVID and all that poo poo. He and a couple of friends went down to... some beach. Not sure which. They might be back tonight, they may not be (I'm hoping for not).

Figured I'd go buy him a new water pipe or bubbler for his bday (admittedly, because I WANT MINE BACK).

I left the shop with a nice mini-water pipe (borderline between bubbler and "water pipe") and the phone number of the owner of the shop. He seems like a nice enough guy, but uh... I'm not into older guys. At all. Kinda shocked his gaydar was THAT good that he picked up on me, I rarely trip any gaydar.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

e: holy poo poo my memory is just gone these days

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Oct 7, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

uhm.

Oops. I don't even have a good excuse aside from "just woke up".

I am kinda annoyed roommate didn't even mention anything about his new pipe yet.. but he didn't get home until about 2am.

Ether Frenzy posted:

This is the best.

I kind of want to cut the index finger off and flip it around, but that might get me shot. :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Oct 7, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So I hit up Wonderspaces today. They've been spamming up my Facebook feed, and one of the permanant installations is one I've always wanted to see - it was originally a temporary installation at the original Day for Night in Houston. "Hoshi" by Nonotak. It appears to be a permanent installation at Wonderspaces.

Kinda expensive for what amounts to a light show in a warehouse, but pretty awesome. They had a VR dining room using some kind of Oculus VR set, which was loving awesome.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Also had a gay coworker try to tell me that just because I'm straight doesn't mean I wouldn't or shouldn't try.....Um no thanks I'm good I like women :)

"6 pack and a backrub"

.... that's how my ex has managed to get me in bed more times than I'd like to admit since the breakup. :saddowns:

Darchangel posted:

Can't help it you're just pretty and sexy, right?
Not that I would know what that feels like.

Both Darchangel and Charlie have met me IRL, they both can confirm I'm far from pretty and sexy. :v:

suckin a dick once in a while doesn't mean you're gay, you should at least try it out. I thought I wouldn't like avocado for years until I tried it.

Depends if you, uh, go for the finish line. If you do, well, taking a shot in the mouth is pretty gay if you're a dude. Unless you're Jason Mewes, then it's just expected that you're going to go down on every joystick you see.

This is coming from a guy that identifies as "primarily gay" (5 on the Kinsey scale) and has crossed the finish line plenty of times. :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 8, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BigPaddy posted:

It is all ok in a three way.

Don't ever three way with friends, it's a good way to lose friends/create serious rifts in relationships.

Did that with an ex-bf and his now-wife. His wife doesn't allow us to speak anymore.. and it caused ~issues~. Funny thing, she was the one who called me and suggested it...

Darchangel posted:

6 pack of what? This is critical.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

But I like butt stuff. What does that make me?

I also like mouth stuff, dick stuff, vagina stuff (occasionally), earhole stuff, nosehole stuff, eye stuff...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

$500 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport with 1/4 million miles and the original CVT. Bad idea or really bad idea?

Everything works on it, it occasionally throws a message about the transmission overheating (but it started doing that around 50k.. she's been changing the fluid every 30-50k). Friend selling it bought it newish (it was a demo, so had ~2k on it). Shitload of delivery miles.

Kinda considering it since Brokeback has a howling front or center diff... also, $500. Not even one paycheck. Tires are decent, no CEL, tags are expired (but I know it'll pass inspection fine, NBD and I can print a 30 day temp tag). Interior is basically new except for the driver's seat.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 8, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm looking at it more as a "running and driving $500 vehicle with no maintenance debt and working AC, should be able to pass safety and smog". If I jump on it, I'd have to find a ride to Dallas (either hitch a ride with roommate when he goes to visit his mom, or Greyhound), toss a new battery in it (it's been parked since she got her Niro - ~6 months), change the oil, drive it back. Junk it when the CVT shits itself.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 8, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Elviscat posted:

I mean it's not a good car, but you can probably sell Brokeback for more than five-hundo.

Yeah, between the recent-ish timing belt and low miles, I could get $1500-2000 for it I think, if I detail the interior. Nice 2nd gens go for about $3000-5000 here when you can find them, even with a lot of miles - this is a base model (only options are floor mats and the autotragic) with a bit of body damage and a tired transmission.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah i think if you plan to ditch it when something goes seriously wrong it's a fine idea

now on the other hand driving it will probably suck so be ready

I currently drive a hilariously underpowered, nearly 20 year old wagon, with original suspension. I'm just happy I can keep it in my lane without constantly sawing the wheel.

Also I've driven it before, so I know what to expect.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I mean... I went through that wiring my old place up (with the cheapest garbage tier CCA cable, didn't even spring for copper). It's usually one or two wires not being securely in the keystone jacks, or at the patch panel. Occasionally wires reversed. A cheap ethernet cable tester will identify it pretty easily.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 8, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tomarse posted:

I just found a good thing that has happened because of covid!!...

I just got ID’d when buying beer :grin:

I remember the last time I got ID’d and i think i it was around 18 years ago.

If I'm clean shaven and have a hat on (or I've dyed my hair recently), I often get carded.

Feels weird man. I don't have as many crow's feet as most people my age do, I guess?

Yeah I really didn't need that.

I apparently have enormous tonsils making for a "very crowded airway" but my doc said the same thing, that it's a bitch as an adult, so I just get to be cpapped forever.

I lost my tonsils before I turned 10. My first boyfriend, and every other boyfriend since, seems to enjoy that. Not sure why :iiam:

TC, mine were also removed because I constantly had strep. It's been long enough that I don't really remember it except for being in agonizing pain when I woke up, and having a lot of ice cream (this was in the 1980s...).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

We... wind up with bats in my store at least once a month?

We just ignore them and they usually fly back out. Annoying when they get trapped overnight, though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Had a shift from hell the other night (11 hours). I was so sore that I could barely drive when I left - my feet and knees in particular. It doesn't help that Brokeback has a pretty stiff throttle pedal (pretty sure it'll need a cable at some point - it's not sticking, but you have to give it a lot of oomph to get the pedal to move now). Ex lives 2 miles from work, and she's 3 miles from the clinic all of my doctors practice at, so.. glad we're still on good terms. Upstairs apartment which sucks, but I'll take that vs trying to drive the ~30 minutes each way to/from work, 45 minutes from home to the clinic I use..

Welp, been here 2 days. Tried to go to work last night, but couldn't even press the gas or brake in my car without agony, and that's after literally falling into the car instead of gracefully sitting down (it also took me a good 5 minutes just to get from her front door to my car.. that's a 1 minute walk normally). Took the night off. Went to my foot doctor today, had xrays, no arthritis in my feet at least, but he said I have a severe tendinitis flareup in my feet and strongly suggested several days off. Got referred to an orthopedist at the same clinic to take a look at my knees and hips, doing that tomorrow morning.

Pretty sure there's gonna be some arthritis in my knees, they've been stiff as hell for awhile. Hips started bugging me now and then a few months ago, but nothing like this until last night. The xrays will tell all, though.

This is what getting old is like, isn't it? :corsair:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Ugh. "No good deed goes unpunished" is true I guess. That sucks man, hope it all works out for you.

I took in a former coworker who had wound up homeless. Wound up with a concussion, tons of things missing, and trespassed from a couple of stores (1 grocery store + Walmart) because he shoplifted while I was with him. He still tries to reach out to me occasionally to say hi, and I just add that phone # to the list of blocked #s on my phone. I want nothing to do with him ever again. Last I heard he was expecting kid #5, and in Colorado somewhere.

I've been homeless myself, though pretty briefly (only a few months). I never stole anything, I just wanted to do my drugs, and occasionally sleep in the car. Weirdly, getting carjacked was probably one of the best things to happen at the time - I had to get off meth and move in with family, or live on the streets. I chose to move in with family.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 13, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Brief jump into the religion chat. I was raised Baptist. Went full atheist for a long time. Consider myself agnostic today, but occasionally attend a Unitarian Universalist church (with COVID, it's been via FB Live), and have been (off and on) for several years now. The one near my first place in the Austin area didn't quite feel right for me, but the big UU church in Austin feels like home (there's a third here that I haven't been to). The one near where I went to university near DFW was pretty great.

They don't judge, they don't care what religion you are, what you're wearing (serious, people went to the one by my university in tank tops and shorts), what your hair color is. Just show up, say hi, hang out a bit, learn a bit about every religion. I think it's pretty great to learn about everything from Catholicism to Paganism in one place.

tl;dr don't judge others lest you be judged

meatpimp posted:

Virtually none of us ever even SEE rich people. The people that you see driving Ferraris or Rolls Royces? Not rich. Maybe mega-millionaires. FIFTY NINE people in the US own over HALF of the wealth. We are all various shades of poor in comparison.

Jeff Bezos is supposedly driving a 1996 (or 97?) Honda Accord that he's had forever (as cheap as Amazon is in every way, this doesn't surprise me one bit). Mark Zuckerberg used to drive a Honda Fit, apparently his daily is an Acura TSX now. Michael Bloomberg drives a Suburban. Warren Buffet drives a 14 year old CTS.

The only standout out of the 5 richest people in the US (from the list I found) is Bill Gates, he has a couple of Porches, a Tesla, and a Corvette. Nothing exactly exotic except for one of the Porches (959).

Bezos is one of the richest people in the world, if not the richest. He didn't get there by driving expensive cars (in fact I'd bet he bought that Accord used when Amazon IPO'd).

Of course, these guys are all rich enough to have a car collection of some kind; Zuck has a Golf GTI and a Pagani in addition to the TSX, Bloomberg has an R8, Gates has at least 4 cars. But the richest people are driving pretty pedestrian cars overall.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

Joke's on us, Bezos 'drives' that car in as much as he could notionally drive it, but does most of his travelling by private plane. He keeps it for the optics.

Jeff Bezos doesn't pop down to the corner store for a loaf of bread and dozen eggs without a security team in tow.

As if he doesn't use Amazon to have his groceries delivered from Whole Paycheck to his personal chef. :rolleyes:

He IS known for being notoriously frugal on a lot of things though (housing and jet excluded). And having worked for Amazon a few years ago, I saw a lot of that frugality still going on. "Desks" were old doors on cinder blocks at times (otherwise just cheap folding tables), laptops used by the warehouse managers were positively ANCIENT, a large chunk were refurbs or off-lease units. They spend a fortune on computing hardware for AWS, but the rest of their IT infrastructure is the bare minimum. The warehouse I delivered out of had DSL, for fucks sake, and I'm sure it's because they arm wrestled AT&T to get a stupid low rate (probably on par with residential rates). The fallover was another DSL line. Every time it rained was a hilarious poo poo show, since both DSL lines would poo poo themselves, and the fallover for the fallover (dialup) would also poo poo itself thanks to the ~70 year old copper in that neighborhood.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

luminalflux posted:

I have a hard time believing they actually drive themselves - my take is the "I own a Honda Accord" is definitely for show and he most likely gets chauffered around. Bezos time is way too valuable to be spent stuck behind the wheel in Seattle traffic. Same with Zuck - 4-5 years ago his security detail was like 4 suburbans that pissed off neighbors by taking up valuable street parking at his house in SF he got while his wife was doing her residency at the nearby hospital.

Edit: the door desk thing is just optics - they're more expensive than normal desks. Everyone at the Seattle twitch office HATED them (the other twitch offices had normal sit/stand desks)

With Bezos, yeah, you're very likely right. Especially with the mansions he owns. Zuck at least still drives himself around.

If I had that kind of money, I'd be driving all the fun "somewhat normal" cars, like Integras, Subarus, Golfs, etc. gently caress supercars, they get too much attention (and need too much attention).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Moved into a new place.

Mystery wall switch that landlord claims should control ceiling fan, but doesn't do poo poo as far as I can tell (not even wall outlets). Can't turn off fan with any wall switches. Pull the chain since the fan was on.

Chain snaps off. FML. Throw the breaker, remove the lamp cover (both chains pass through the glass cover).

One of the GU10 CFLs just falls out and shatters. FMLx2. Who the gently caress thought GU10 CFLs in a fan was a good idea?! GU10s don't belong in an indoor residential fixture unless they're halogen track lights. :colbert:

Can't get the chains lined back up with the (loving non-smooth glass) cover. Gonna go track down a couple of GU10 bulbs tomorrow, then figure out how to thread a drat chain through glass without it loving up the glass.

Still an upgrade over the old place (no roaches so far, vs ~10-20 a day over the old place). The place is actually somewhat square. Doors and most of the windows open and close easily (2 windows don't open at all). New place is 1998 vs 1981...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 15, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pros: cast my vote, picked up my new glasses (that I ordered 3 weeks ago :sigh:). New glasses definitely feel better; left lens is a touch stronger, right lens is a touch weaker. I can actually read my phone without taking them off! Both eyes are at the same strength for the first time ever (my right eye has always needed a slightly stronger lens).

Cons: Brokeback started shaking pretty loving violently on the highway on the way back, but only on the gas (even slightly, though). I'm getting angry CV joint noises turning either direction now. It's also a giant vibrator at idle now (not a "these motor mounts need attention sometime soon", more of a "shake your drat fillings out") - thinking what was left of a motor mount let go and made the angles all fucky. The mounts were already "mounts? you're lucky the engine even sits level" before.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I know this is AI, but there's a lot of computer-touchers in here.

Dead hard drive recovery service recommendations? I know they're expensive, but I was using a friend's laptop and the HDD just up and died - heard the windows "hardware disconnected" noise, then... dead. Drive isn't recognized at all even in an external enclosure and just makes sad HDD noises. The PC's BIOS occasionally sees "Hard drive" on the first SATA port, but nothing else (no model, no serial, etc) - most of the time it just says nothing is connected. Apparently there's some Very Important poo poo on it.

No backups, natch. 8 year old WD Black 2.5" with very low hours on it. Tried it in another laptop, and an external enclosure, both just occasional show some kind of drive is there, but can't identify it (or that nothing is hooked up). It ded, just sounds like the heads are seeking several times before going totally dead when powered on, and doesn't sound like it's spinning up. Friend's laptop is back up and running with a new el-cheapo SSD in it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 16, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Already tried freezing it, though only for half an hour. The other problem is not only is it not spinning, the PC isn't even seeing it connected most of the time. I heard the Windows "device removed" noise about 5 seconds before the system froze. I'm guessing maybe the firmware just goes "ohshit" if the drive doesn't do what it's expecting, and stops responding? OCCASIONALLY the BIOS sees "hard drive" for the type of device when you go into SATA settings, but usually shows nothing connected.

My external enclosure shows a nonstop flashing light once it tries to initialize the drive - normally it flashes very briefly then goes solid until accessed (admittedly it's a $3 Aukey enclosure...)

She knows it's going to be 3-4 figures to get the data off if it's possible (one website I found claimed $495 for a clean room data recovery, that seems hilariously unrealistic though, and it sounded like they were just just to try replacing heads). Finding the exact PCB won't be too easy given the age of the drive, and I I'm not entirely sure it's not an internal failure.

The laptop had been sitting for ~5 years except for a couple of hours two years ago. I'm not sure how many hours are on the drive itself, but the laptop looks brand new (no keyboard wear or anything) and still holds a fantastic charge, despite being 8 years old. I don't think it saw any real usage over most of its life, so I'm kinda surprised the drive failed. WD Blacks are supposed to be decent, aren't they?

e: dave, thanks, drivesavers was the name I was looking for. I know they're supposed to be one of the best.

cakesmith handyman posted:

How long are the cables? Just don't take it out the freezer :haw:

Laptop, so... it slides in. :v: I supposed I could just get the longest cables possible and put it next to the freezer!
e: might be easier to just get a USB extension cable and put the external housing in the freezer.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 16, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

This is a single drive on the smaller side, just a consumer laptop drive, only has about 100GB on it (probably 20GB that actually needs recovery). Hopefully the quote doesn't come in that high :stonkhat:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Back at work, on "very light duty".

That apparently consists of them keeping one of the electric shopping carts ready for me, and me riding around the store facing stuff I can reach from a sitting position for most of my shift, along with collecting abandoned items and returning them (or scanning them out if perishable). Then spending 2 hours (the maximum I'm allowed to spend on my feet) stocking bread.

I was surprised the battery on that cart held out all night. It just has a 3 color indicator, but it was still green when I plugged it in as I left. Still seems kinda pointless that I'm essentially getting paid for 8 hours to do ~3 hours worth of work, but it's money coming in (injury pay doesn't start until a week after the injury). I'm huuuuurting though.

Tomarse posted:

Try leaving it in the freezer for longer. It’s been a 12 hour/overnight job when I’ve attempted it. (I think it has worked twice out of 3 drives)

I had a HDD suddenly fail on a laptop last week too. It was an old one but I left it running at home for 36 hours or so to test it then took it to a work site and left it running there to use as a remote access gateway to a load of servers I wanted to configure
(this is on a building site with very limited site access hours and restrictions, no proper internet yet and I left a 4G router attached to it)

My laptop failed after about 24 hours and in the process wiped out the text file full of lovely random passwords for all the new gear that I hadn’t yet copied off it :(

I'll give it a shot. FWIW, it doesn't sound (or feel) like it's spinning at all, it sounds like the heads are seeking a few times then it goes completely silent until the enclosure's controller tries to initialize it again. So it's very possible the spindle motor is having issues. Luckily the external enclosure I have pops open really easy (cheap Aukey external USB 3.0 thing I paid $4 for ages ago). The enclosure works fine with the HDD I had in it before, along with the cheap SSD I got to replace the dead drive.

I'm not used to a spinning HDD dying while in active use, but I do remember it was set by default to spin down after 3 minutes (wtf Asus?) - it may have spun down just before it poo poo.

Upside: it's like a brand new PC now that I tossed a cheap Hyundai SSD and another 4GB of no-name RAM at it - power on to desktop in ~15 seconds (it was >3 minutes on the HDD, though that was an upgrade in place from Win7). $70 well spent. It's an Ivy Bridge i5 to begin with, so it wasn't a bad machine for its time. It's also setup for cloud backup now... which should have been done to begin with, but it's not my computer and up until now, I didn't really use it much at all. No backups strikes again!

random thought: should I freeze it inside the enclosure, inside the enclosure with the lid off, or bare? I'm thinking the full sealed enclosure, just to keep it cold longer (and hopefully keep condensation at a minimum).

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah if you can get it going with a controller swap then count your blessings and get everything off there ASAP in order of most to least important.

That's the plan. I did find controller boards, but I need to look at the board to see which revision it is. And brush up on my soldering skills, since like on most drives, you have to swap one of the chips over.

An issue I'm going to run into is file permissions (since the OS has been reinstalled - it originally had Win7 Pro, did an upgrade in place to Win10 Pro a couple of days ago), so I might just wait until my desktop is here - I'll have enough space to make an image that way, and it has a Linux VM on it. My laptop runs Linux, but only has a 120GB SSD in it, and I only have one external enclosure on hand (it's also an olllld machine, I don't think it'd be fast enough to really xfer stuff quickly enough). Can't move my desktop (or really anything except clothes) until my leg heals up, I'm not even supposed to lift over 15 lbs or use stairs right now.

Turning my external HDD into a bootable Win10 install device from a Linux laptop was more of a PITA than it should have been, WoeUSB really didn't want to do it from the GUI (didn't see it at all). Command line was also being a pain until I read the github page for Woe and realized I had to force it to do NTFS for later releases of Win10 (it defaults to FAT32, the current Win10 install image apparently has some files too large for FAT32 now? or the file paths are too long? I'm not a professional computer toucher damnit)

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I can't recommend a data recovery service, but I can recommend not doing a platter swap yourself in a home built "clean room"

Oh hell no. If I ever touch a seal or screw on a HDD cover, I don't expect it to ever work again. I may try to find a board for it, but it looks like I'll have to swap the BIOS chip over. I'm Shaky McShakerson when it comes to soldering.

trouser chili posted:

Good news everybody, it’s more Vicodin time! Oh wait, this is Diazepam. I’m taking diazepam. Sorry this my drug collection of active medications right now.

This is me right now.

:haw:

Milk Bones are part of your drug regimen? :v: Why did they put you on Valium anyway?

Be careful with the Valium, the withdrawal from it isn't fun.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 17, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah uh, apparently the stuff on there is pretty drat important. I'm gonna ship it off to a recovery company and see what they say. Doesn't cost anything to get an estimate (... but I'm gonna make DAMNED sure there's multiple backup solutions in place if she goes forward with the recovery).

It definitely isn't spinning up, but the heads are seeking back and forth several times with each power event. I'm worried it's creating a hard drive platter version of some of the stuckest poo poo Matt's Off Road Recovery has dealt with.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fermented Tinal posted:

Rhyno, I am glad your friend survived. I am sad that he got beaten and shot. :smith:

STR, there's a free TEM (Philips EM301) in Austin, please hop on slack so a bunch of us can convince you that you need to be able to see individual atoms that are larger than about 350 picometres in diametre.

While that'd be cool as poo poo, I'm back in a 2nd floor apartment instead of a house. With a hosed up leg. :smith: I could store it for someone, though, I have a fairly empty 10x10 storage unit.

Rhyno, glad your friend is gonna pull through, that looks gnarly. :smith:

Fermented Tinal posted:

Nobody wants to see Trump's dick.

Speak for yourself. I think my parents really want to see it. And do stuff with it. :barf:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Meanwhile I can't even walk. Went a bit over my "work restrictions" at work yesterday and my right leg feels like it has a few ice picks shoved into it, being wiggled around, like a still-in-school nurse digging for a vein to do a blood draw (don't ever loving do that, it hurts like hell and just blows the vein out, when a pt tells you "go to this vein, it's the only one anybody can ever hit", they know their body damnit).

Doesn't help that Brokeback's throttle is starting to stick (it's my right leg that's hosed, natch), it takes a solid stomp to free it up after it's been sitting awhile. Sitting tonight out from work since I couldn't even make it down the stairs. Followup appointment (and hopefully the beginning of PT) is tomorrow. I replaced the throttle cable on ex-roommate's old WRX right before he got rid of it.. Brokeback has quite a bit more room under the hood, so hopefully it'll go pretty smooth with a little less swearing. His WRX started pissing gas from every loving fuel line on the driver's side after that, but I've been through the fuel line exodus with Brokeback already. :ohdear::hf::supaburn:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Initial impressions of physical therapy (didn't expect them to start it today, but they did, immediately after my followup dr appointment): "this is easymode, is this really therapy?"

A few hours later: "where the gently caress are the real painkillers? GET ME A WALKER AND SOME WAY TO GET DOWNSTAIRS :corsair:"

Work when I call to update them: :argh:

Roughly an hour of various stretches plus a stationary bicycle. I feel the stretching so.loving.bad. The bike not at all except my ankle is a little sore, but I actually ride a bike now and then (up until last week) anyway. He broke out a protractor to see how much flexibility I have between each leg and each foot, and the difference is... pretty shocking. I'm normally pretty flexible, my right leg doesn't agree at this point. My right foot is just pins and needles; the physical therapist showed me the muscles, tendons, nerves, etc, showed which nerve is sandwiched between some angry muscles and tendons, and told me to expect it.

Still on ultra-light duty restriction. That's if I can get down the drat stairs, I couldn't tonight. I'm sure I could if there was a fire, but it's not happening without a shitload of pain at the moment.

Darchangel posted:

Could try lubing :quagmire: the cable. I've got a nifty little thing that clamps over the cable end that forces *most* of the lube down the cable. It actually works. Still makes a mess, but it works.
Did you part ways with the roommate? I caught that you were in a different residence, but missed the actual activity.

I mean... the cable is pretty drat easy to replace if you can contort yourself under the dash, if it's like the WRX. On the bugeye WRX, the throttle pedal assembly just unbolts from the firewall, so you can hook the new cable to the pedal and thread it through instead of trying to do it under the dash. I'm hoping it's the same with Brokeback. It started sticking a little today, so I'm gonna go ahead and get a new one ordered.

And yeah, I'm slowly moving, though the actual moving of (more) stuff is on hold because of my leg (right now just have some clothes, toiletries, and my laptop here). My stuff is mostly at old roommate's place, some stuff is in storage. I haven't really talked about it on forums or social media, and most details won't make it to here. I'm likely going to go ahead and pay rent for November at both places (I'm not on the lease at roommate's place, just a handshake with him to rent a room) just to give me some time to recover and actually get everything out. Also to give him more time to find a roommate.

Rhyno posted:

Somebody donated over $7500 to my dude's GFM and we're shell shocked. Touched base with his estranged wife, he is in good spirits but so much pain. They're trying to save his eye today.

:drat:

Hope they can save his eye. That looked.... really bad.

slidebite posted:

That said, not entirely sure what they are doing with it but I am sure they have ~reasons~ as to wanting a windows native tablet instead of Android. Just don't want to buy woefully underpowered junk if I can avoid it. Probably go with an 8GB M3-8100y unit, unless there are better/more affordable options.

8GB is what I would consider the bare minimum for Windows 10, to be honest. 4 is doable if it's a SSD (and a tablet is going to be a SSD), but it's going to hammer the swap file.

Watch out for tablets that only have a 32GB SSD. I don't know how common they are now (particularly with something expensive enough to have an M3, but I bet they're still in low end tablets), but I know once the OS is installed and has even just temp files, swap file, a few security updates, etc, there's not enough room left to do a major OS update. Everything I've seen with a 32GB or 64GB has it soldered to the board.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 20, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

T-Square posted:

Reminds me of a meme I saw a while ago. “How long does it take for a human body to create another fully functioning human being inside of it? Nine months. Ok cool, how long for my sprained ankle to heal? Two years, and it’ll never be the same again.”

Yeah.... I've been to PT 4 times over the past week now. Pain hasn't gotten ANY better, still no pain killers beyond ibuprofin and celebrex (celebrex wrecks my stomach badly, even with food, and I'm not supposed to take ibuprofin with my blood pressure medication) but I can hobble slightly faster now I guess?

I don't think I'm gonna walk right :quagmire: for a long time. I have a feeling there's probably some arthritis going on, on top of the muscle and tendon poo poo, though xrays of my feet didn't show anything Abby Normal.

Need to find a job that isn't so physical before my body completely falls apart.

trouser chili posted:

Right side had tore open. It was the cause of the bleed. Just left my second surgery to have it re-cauterized. They let me keep the leg squeezie things this time.

Guys, don’t get your tonsils out at 42 if you can, it’s not great.

Am also 42, glad I had them out around... 7? 8?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 22, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Door Frame posted:

I got a 31 on my ACT and have been in community college on and off for 8 years

Acedemic tests just test how well you do on tests

I got a 1010 on my SAT (back when 1000 was considered "average" - scored above average on English, below average on math), spent way too much time flunking classes in community college, but that was more because I was too busy doing drugs.

When I went back to school, I made dean's list 2 long semesters in a row (plus a summer semester) at the same community college. Only one of those classes was curved. That's a 4.0 for an entire year (15 credit hour long semesters, took 6 hours over the summer). My average GPA when I originally dropped out was 0.5. When I returned for a year and a half, then left that CC to go to a university, I had repeated enough classes to bring it up to a 3.3 (it would have been higher, but the rest of the classes were no longer offered).

My big issue with school is I DO NOT do well with online formats. I can do a hybrid in person/online, but fully online... nope. Never passed an online class. Never did finish though, I can't get financial aid anymore because I hosed around so much in the 90s... before the law capping how many attempted credit hours you can have and still get financial aid (even if you'd never received financial aid) was a thought in a legislator's sack.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

64bit_Dophins posted:

I have a brother laser printer and I love it. It wasn't very expensive compared to an ink-jet and you can get Chinese cartridges for like $20-$30 on ebay that have saved me a ton of money of the past year.

Only issue I've had so far with my Brother MFP is the cheap cartridges on Amazon and eBay (that claim to have a working chip) never work on the first try - the printer bitches about there not being a cartridge in it, or complains about it being "non-genuine" and refuses to print.

You can pop the chip off of the original starter cartridge, pop it into the replacements, and go through some Konami code on the menus to reset that chip. I kept resetting the original cartridge until it started streaking noticeably (about 2000 pages, I think it was rated ~750pages?).

64bit_Dophins posted:

I mean even if the test is right I still finished school and have been doing ok for myself.

If I'm 90IQ I'm the smartest 90 IQ person out there :)

I'm pretty sure the drat password requirements for this place eliminate anyone with under a 130 IQ.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So remember I got Brokeback's state inspection (which in my county, is both emissions and safety) done as early as possible, because it was starting to throw :420: codes?

I finally had an appointment at the tax office to renew the registration, since the online renewal never showed up as available (kept showing they didn't have a recent inspection on file).

...... turns out they want it 89 days or less prior to the expiration. Not 3 months. I had been told I could do it October 1st, which I dutifully did. Turns out the earliest they'll take is October 3rd. :argh:

It's also a PITA to find a non-chain place that does inspections on weekdays. I finally found a place on the 4th try, and it passed fine. Guy actually complimented me on the car, which was a shock. I told him it was an $1800 beater that I didn't expect to get a year out of, and we're past a year now. Inspector: "yeah, I drive a beater too.. change the timing belt, change the oil, and top off the coolant and it'll run forever" *points at almost showroom fresh early 00s Forester out front*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So is my mom, but we didn't have to generalize, now did we?