Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Thoatse posted:

Here's a screenshot from the burger heist mission

:cry: X-Plane is laughing at us!! :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

lobsterminator posted:

MSFS has been the best deterrent from ever using Azure services.

That's what confounds me, because Azure has been great at work. There's something really weird about MSFS content delivery.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 16, 2024

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's nothing wrong with it being hosted on azure. The downloader is super slow because it downloads every single one of the 10,000 files in the update separately, halting the transfer and unzipping after each one, rather than doing it as one big blob that can reach maximum transfer speed and then decompressing and installing afterwards.

I have no idea why they did it this way, because it's a trivial thing to do properly. Maybe it's an Xbox limitation and they want to use the same backend for all versions. Maybe they just got an intern to code it as a summer project and they never went back to it afterwards.

I just treat it as part of the process now. If I want to fly the flight sim after work, I turn it on when I get home and let it do its thing while I make dinner. It's stupid but it's not really a big deal.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I just treat it as part of the process now. If I want to fly the flight sim after work, I turn it on when I get home and let it do its thing while I make dinner. It's stupid but it's not really a big deal.

This sounds hilariously similar to the stuff I see in the Star Citizen threads.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pshaw. Us flight simmers have been putting up with stupid poo poo from our video games for decades before star citizen even existed.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i think it's because asobo are bad at software development op

For ex. there is no reason why the main menu has to be so atrociously slow even in "power saving" mode, taking the best part of a second to respond to clicks. More or less every game has a main menu written in HTML these days, they're all poo poo and kinda laggy to some degree but nowhere near MSFS' level.

Asobo is some tiny two-bit indie studio that is out of their depth. They inherited a nasty legacy code base, but the godawful updater and main menu sure didn't come from FSX. Well, three-and-a-bit years after release we have a pretty decent albeit gluttonous sim now. I just wish trim switches weren't screwed up on the default airplanes with that stupid keyboard repeat type behavior, what the gently caress were they thinking?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

i think it's because asobo are bad at software development op

For ex. there is no reason why the main menu has to be so atrociously slow even in "power saving" mode, taking the best part of a second to respond to clicks. More or less every game has a main menu written in HTML these days, they're all poo poo and kinda laggy to some degree but nowhere near MSFS' level.

Asobo is some tiny two-bit indie studio that is out of their depth. They inherited a nasty legacy code base, but the godawful updater and main menu sure didn't come from FSX. Well, three-and-a-bit years after release we have a pretty decent albeit gluttonous sim now. I just wish trim switches weren't screwed up on the default airplanes with that stupid keyboard repeat type behavior, what the gently caress were they thinking?

All the menus are infuriating. ATC menu and anything you need to access during gameplay. They do have the greatest sales team who managed to make this deal with Microsoft. So I'm sure they are all very happy and rich now. And the game sold amazingly so there's no reason to improve anything.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

lobsterminator posted:

All the menus are infuriating. ATC menu and anything you need to access during gameplay. They do have the greatest sales team who managed to make this deal with Microsoft. So I'm sure they are all very happy and rich now. And the game sold amazingly so there's no reason to improve anything.

That's pretty disingenuous. They've been putting out fixes and free content updates on average of once a month since the game launched.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Sagebrush posted:

The downloader is super slow because it downloads every single one of the 10,000 files in the update separately, halting the transfer and unzipping after each one, rather than doing it as one big blob that can reach maximum transfer speed and then decompressing and installing afterwards.

What the gently caress.

Programs where I manually had to download the zip and throw the contents over the live folder hitting "replace all" is better than that. It's at least 1 continuous download.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I really wish there was a flight sim made by people who weren't outrageously awful. But instead I play MSFS and DCS.

:eng99:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sagebrush posted:

There's nothing wrong with it being hosted on azure. The downloader is super slow because it downloads every single one of the 10,000 files in the update separately, halting the transfer and unzipping after each one, rather than doing it as one big blob that can reach maximum transfer speed and then decompressing and installing afterwards.

I have no idea why they did it this way, because it's a trivial thing to do properly. Maybe it's an Xbox limitation and they want to use the same backend for all versions. Maybe they just got an intern to code it as a summer project and they never went back to it afterwards.

For anyone who doesn't understand this, TCP connections work by sending a small number of packets, making sure it gets a response and then slowly increasing the number of packets it can have out at once in order to saturate the entire connection. So when you have 10,000 1KB files, it has to do this process for each one of them instead of compressing them all into one file and sending it at once. So it is finishing the file before it can get to full speed and it is doing this thousands of times instead of having a few big update files that get extracted like how Steam does it.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
e: whoops wrong thread

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

lobsterminator posted:

I have a new bug where I can’t get the in-flight toolbar to display. The one with ATC, W&B, WX, Navigraph, etc. It’s really pissing me off, especially since it was apparently a known bug near release and “fixed” a while back.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That Works posted:

We have months at the least to see if any solution comes up and this can be extended further if you only stick to security updates etc, or just use Win10
I don't use it often, but I do have a G2.

Thank you, MS, for making my purchase literally e-waste. I guess I'll be staying on 10 as long as possible for my gaming PC.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't necessarily despair, people who are motivated enough to flight sim and use VR will have a certain % that are willing to hack into and code up an opensource replacement WMR API, I'll wager.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mederlock posted:

I wouldn't necessarily despair, people who are motivated enough to flight sim and use VR will have a certain % that are willing to hack into and code up an opensource replacement WMR API, I'll wager.

Yeah plenty of time for something like that. Not happy about this but definitely going to wait until it’s definitely said and done.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

There's a flight sim expo next month where I could go. I'm wondering if I should. Maybe I can get some inspiration for my long-term project "building a lovely simpit, at an unspecified point in the future".

https://fsweekend.nl/

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Lord Stimperor posted:

Maybe I can get some inspiration for my long-term project "building a lovely simpit, at an unspecified point in the future".

Big same, my friend. I want to eventually build interchangeable overhead panels (one for airbus, one for Boeing) so I can switch between them...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lord Stimperor posted:

There's a flight sim expo next month where I could go. I'm wondering if I should. Maybe I can get some inspiration for my long-term project "building a lovely simpit, at an unspecified point in the future".

https://fsweekend.nl/
Not gonna lie, I'm totally a casual non-hardcore simmer, but if one of these was within a few hours of me I'd attend.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

For anyone who doesn't understand this, TCP connections work by sending a small number of packets, making sure it gets a response and then slowly increasing the number of packets it can have out at once in order to saturate the entire connection. So when you have 10,000 1KB files, it has to do this process for each one of them instead of compressing them all into one file and sending it at once. So it is finishing the file before it can get to full speed and it is doing this thousands of times instead of having a few big update files that get extracted like how Steam does it.
Important note, this is something that people have obviously known about for a while and was solved in HTTP with version 1.1's pipelining feature in 1997.

While that feature went somewhat underutilized in the overall web thanks to buggy implementations in common servers there's no good excuse for not using it (or the improved "multiplexing" in HTTP/2 and HTTP/3) when both the client and the server are under control of the same people.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

slidebite posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm totally a casual non-hardcore simmer, but if one of these was within a few hours of me I'd attend.

Just bought two tickets, for my girlfriend and me.

Event is at the aviodrome, which I wanted to see anyway. Big museum, random aviation stuff. They have, among other things, a Mig 21, an F104-G, a 747, DC2, DC3. And flight simulators. Pretty stoked.

Only downside is that tickets are valid for 6 hour slots on the tour. No idea how they're going to throw me out if I hide from the bouncers inside the 747 cabin.

kalleth posted:

Big same, my friend. I want to eventually build interchangeable overhead panels (one for airbus, one for Boeing) so I can switch between them...

I'll be sure to take notes and photos if I see anything that might help. I need more generic hardware, but who knows, maybe they showcase some interesting hardware like controllers that might help.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 19, 2024

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is there a guide for understanding/optimizing the plethora of graphics/vid settings for MSFS?

E: Just did the solo flight in the lessons again (trying to get better than a B rating) and noticed some chuginess.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

last patch announcement for MSFS2020.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

The one from the initial release that occasionally pops up again after an update? (Because Asobo, presumably)

There's been a whole lot of last patches then.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Maybe I'm dumb. It just popped up for me as I launched MSFS2020 so it seemed very ominous.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am very confused by that message and what it is trying to say.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I think that message went with one of the first patches Asobo released after MSFS launched (since it was pretty broken at that point), but it's randomly shown up periodically since then.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

It's from the launch when the game first unlocked, before any patches.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.beyondatc.net/pricing

$60 + ongoing purchases of credits unless you only want the basic computer voice.

Reminder that VATSIM is free.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Very true, but VATSIM doesn't always have the coverage you want. The offline basic voices are a bit stilted but not bad.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

BeyondATC looks lovely!

I wanted to give VATSIM a go. But it looked like a bunch of work to set up and I heard that the VATSIM controllers aren't really teamplayers. As in, they'll enforce made-up protocols and phraseology for the sake of faux realism. I want to practice my radio skills on the computer since I otherwise only talk to ATC IRL once in a blue moon, but I don't need people to make the experience worse.

What I couldn't quite grasp from the website: is BeyondATC doing ATC only, or can they also do flight information service?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Zero One posted:

https://www.beyondatc.net/pricing

$60 + ongoing purchases of credits unless you only want the basic computer voice.

Reminder that VATSIM is free.

hmmmmmm probalby a litttle more steeper than I thought.. not completetely off the chain.. and I'm fine with basic comptuerboxes.. it's still probalbyi 1000% better than the ATC voice in MSFS
any idea if they expect it to work with 24?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Lord Stimperor posted:

BeyondATC looks lovely!

I wanted to give VATSIM a go. But it looked like a bunch of work to set up and I heard that the VATSIM controllers aren't really teamplayers. As in, they'll enforce made-up protocols and phraseology for the sake of faux realism. I want to practice my radio skills on the computer since I otherwise only talk to ATC IRL once in a blue moon, but I don't need people to make the experience worse.

What I couldn't quite grasp from the website: is BeyondATC doing ATC only, or can they also do flight information service?

I have never heard a controller not being a "team player". If anything the ones I've interacted with have been incredibly helpful and patient.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "faux realism"? VATSIM is simulating real ATC and does it pretty well. In my experience, as a real life pilot, VATSIM controllers are not making up any policies or phraseology. You will find regional variation same as in real life but nothing you can't figure out.

As for difficulties setting up... You register an account, download vPilot, and sign in. That's it.

Give it a shot. Find a airport with a Tower and/or Center open and plan a flight. It's quite fun once you get started.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 23, 2024

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Vatsim has limited coverage, it's also more popular and active in some regions. For me it hasn't been an option for the past 20 years and that's not going to change. Beyond ATC, on the other hand, does a lot of things I wanted FS ATC add-ons to do.

Regarding the voices, for the base price you get 150 voices with unlimited usage. They sound perfectly fine out of the box. You then get lower and higher tier paid voices, which can sound amazing. You can mix and match these and either have the free voices on all coms, or only use the super premium voices for your ATC and all AI traffic and its ATC on the free tier.

This video gives great examples of the audio samples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odapc-HMNBk&t=81s

Aside from that, Beyond also manages all AI traffic itself in an external simulation, which then is injected into FS. This is a huge game changer and will give much more control to the devs, making proper large airport simulations viable.

It won't be as good as the paid ATC services where you have real ATCs - I think inaccuracies will be rife. Vatsim will still shine for the community aspect and fly-in events. For others though, this is fantastic. A video of another AI ATC client, say intentions, which is aimed at VFR, showed some great potential in another video I saw, where a controller is asking the pilot for his flight route and the pilot uses freeform sentences to explain he's going to fly down the Hudson, which the VFR controller then monitors. In another clip, the pilot asks to switch to a start from another intersection and this is dynamically digested by the AI ATC and correctly addressed. I think these somewhat more free-form conversation will result in some great moments, as will the inevitable AI confusion.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Lord Stimperor posted:

I want to practice my radio skills on the computer since I otherwise only talk to ATC IRL once in a blue moon

If realistic training is your goal, check out PilotEdge.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The first WorldHub airport updates are live:

quote:

00AK
50D
66Y
7LA1
AGGT
BGGH
EDCB
EDCD
EDDC
EDDF
EDDR
EDEN
EDFY
EDGA
EDGB
EDHE
EDKB
EDKI
EDKO
EDLL
EDNY
EDRU
EDRW
EDVJ
EDVS
EDWF
EDXP
FNMH
GQPP
HEAT
JLA
KEGV
KGTF
KIOW
KJYO
KLCI
KLEB
KMDW
KMHT
KMNM
KMTH
KOGM
KRHI
KSUE
KUES
LEBB
LEMI
LEXJ
LIAP
LSGL
LSGS
LSZH
MDJB
MDLR
MDST
PASP
SBGR
SBJR
SBVT
SKLA
SVJQ
USRR
VEMN
WADB
WMKP
Y55
YPKA
YPKU

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/world-hub-change-tracking/631390

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Wow look at the germans go

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Zero One posted:

I have never heard a controller not being a "team player". If anything the ones I've interacted with have been incredibly helpful and patient.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "faux realism"? VATSIM is simulating real ATC and does it pretty well. In my experience, as a real life pilot, VATSIM controllers are not making up any policies or phraseology. You will find regional variation same as in real life but nothing you can't figure out.

What I read is that VATSIM is very impatient and that you will get controllers who chide you for using phraseology and procedures that they insist on is real and mandatory, but made up by them. I dunno. Maybe after the feedback I got I'll give it another go. A kind goon already nudged me on Discord.

I'm hoping that BeyondATC also gives some coverage to places that don't have an active community in sim.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

What I read is that VATSIM is very impatient and that you will get controllers who chide you for using phraseology and procedures that they insist on is real and mandatory, but made up by them.

The patience of vatsim controllers varies massively by circumstance. Spawn into EHAM on a busy Friday night with no idea what you're doing and you're going to catch some heat, sure, but most of the time in most places they're very chill. If anything, they often err too far in the other direction and spend way too much time handholding a newbie who just Isn't Getting It or are too hesitant to .wallop someone who is actively causing problems.

As far as the second part, I've spent a lot of time on vatsim and have never experienced anything like that. You'll very rarely catch poo poo for using FAA phraseology in an ICAO area or vice versa outside of a gentle reminder, and the controllers are trained on real world procedures and phraseology. They don't just make poo poo up.

Anyway, BeyondATC looks rad and I'm definitely hoping the devs can make it work half as well as it seems like they want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Theris posted:

The patience of vatsim controllers varies massively by circumstance. [fly] on a busy [sunday afternoon] with no idea what you're doing and you're going to catch some heat, sure, but most of the time in most places they're very chill.

real controllers work the same way