Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
It might be worth adding VKB to the hardware section of the OP. I got a left-hand Gladiator NXT a few weeks ago and it's fantastic (though admittedly I'm coming from using a ps3 controller). I'm definitely looking at picking up their throttle quadrant when it comes out, especially since it's supposedly going to be $60. It's a nice middle ground between something like a TM 16000 and the crazy enthusiast flight sticks.

What a difference having so many buttons (and wheels!) on a stick makes. Being able to handle things like flaps, landing gear, trim, and a real throttle all on the stick makes landing so much easier and really helped me get more enjoyment out of MSFS. No more trying to line up my approach while also using my mouse to try and manually bring throttle back to idle and lower flaps or tap buttons for trim only to find out that one tap is a lot of movement on that wheel.

I ended up also getting Ace Combat 7 just because I was looking for more reasons to use it and I loved 4 and 5 (lol, joke's on me, AC7 only supports controllers so you have to map the stick to controller inputs in Steam and there's no rudder axis, only buttons. Still a great Ace Combat game though). Can't wait to start using it for SW: Squadrons and I'm eying DCS and IL-2 but I'm not sure I want to risk falling down that rabbit hole.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What was your experience like purchasing the NXT from the VKB store? The main thing that has stopped me from pulling the trigger on that is that I've heard stories of exorbitant surprise customs charges with the final charges being up to $100 over the listed price.

I mean, shipping was a little pricey ($30) but other than that no issues at all. Shipped via DHL direct from wherever in China they make the sticks, took about two weeks for it to ship after placing the order (they're backed up with demand like everyone else) and took less than a week to arrive once it had shipped. The only thing I'd be skeptical on is customer support, since VKB-NA is just a middleman for the actual VKB in Russia I've seen some stories of people calling customer support with issues and basically just getting "eh, I dunno, ask the forums or return it within the two week return period *click*".

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Soy Division posted:

Flight was still a dud though, since I'm working I turned on the AI copilot (which you could previously rely on to at least fly the flight plan even if it would crash the plane on final) and it decided to ignore the approach ATC gave it and fly 100 miles past the airport.

drat, this sim is impressively realistic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Airlines_Flight_188

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Shine posted:

VKB North America has their stuff in stock, last I looked.

Not exactly, right now it ships direct from Shenzen once it comes off the production line and fills orders first come first serve. It took about two weeks for mine to ship.

efb

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Romes128 posted:

Another call with ms and they explained that for the price of the deluxe edition i didn’t buy the deluxe edition I bought digital currency which covered the cost of the deluxe edition... which is insane but ok.

But that can’t be changed to a ms store purchase even though I bought the deluxe version in game not through Xbox game pass. Even though the store recognizes I have the game downloaded and installed but when I hit play I get an error like when the game hadn’t been released yet.

There are other people online complaining about the same thing but no solution. Guess I’ll eat the $10 a month for pc game pass.

Well if you're going to have to have GamePass, you might as well take full advantage. There's a lot of good games on there. Subnautica, Outer Worlds, Halo Master Chief Collection, Crusader Kings 3, Age of Empires 3, The Metro franchise, Forza, Sea of Thieves, Void Bastards, Frostpunk, FTL, Cities: Skylines, No Man's Sky, Stellaris. It's a pretty good value if you like a wide variety of games. If you're just into flight sims though, that's a bummer.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Xakura posted:

I'm sure that is a comfort for him as microsoft scammed him out of a $60 value.

To be clear, I agree that's total horseshit. Just trying to help him make the best of it.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

There's a Long-EZ and a Mooney in the in-game store now. Has anyone tried either of them?

e: patch notes:

gently caress YEAH

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE TRAINS?!

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

GutBomb posted:

1) I was doing a flight from Provincetown municipal airport to Boston Logan the other night in the 172 on autopilot and had to deal with some family poo poo for a sec so I paused the sim. When I got back to my computer I was getting a stall alarm while it was still paused (the simulation was paused the whole time!) and when I unpaused the plane pitched up very quickly and every time I would force it back down to level flight it would fight me and start pitching way up again. I disengaged autopilot and fought the plane my pushing in the yoke and trimming and finally got it back to level flight, re-engaged autopilot and everything was fine. Then later that night it happened again. Same thing. I paused to get a snack, stall while paused, had to fight to get it level, then back to normal. Logic tells me at this point not to pause anymore but... wtf was that?

Did you pause by hitting Esc and getting the menu pop up or did you use the "Active Pause" because IIRC the Active Pause basically just freezes your plane in place but everything else keeps going in the game, so if you hit that while climbing or something your plane will continue to lose airspeed as if it's climbing even though it's not going anywhere so when you unpause all those values suddenly get applied to your plane and poo poo goes wild, if the autopilot was on it was probably trying to adjust the trim like crazy to compensate or something.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

GutBomb posted:

I used the pause button in the menu. I had no idea haha. Why does that even exist?

MSFS2020.txt

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

ngl would love for flight sims to highlight some of those weird things people did, though that's something I'd prefer to see in Plane Mechanic Sim, repairing damage done due to uncooperative cattle.

I mean, I did chuckle at this shot in the recent DCS trailer

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I finally took the time to set up my StreamDeck for MSFS and I really appreciate the FlightTracker extension. Especially their macros for COM and NAV. Single press to swap to standby frequencies, long press takes you into a num pad so you can punch in freq/xpdr codes. It's so much better than trying to do it in the cockpit with a mouse that I'm actually punching in the handoffs from ATC instead of just having it auto set from the radio menu.

This is the profile I've been using, though I'm considering getting rid of COM2 and NAV2 and replacing them with an AP profile to make activating and adjusting the AP easier.

long-press num pad menu for XPDR

soggybagel posted:

I think its a very wannabe culture where they want their sim to be as "real" as possible but they don't actually know what real is. I have a friend is active in the navy who is an F-18 pilot. If he came over and saw me doing flight sim stuff he's not going to poo poo on me for trying stuff but not being 100 percent accurate. Its just the weird old man gatekeeper poo poo and its pretty amusing.

Yeah, most hobbies are like this, but especially military adjacent ones. I saw the same stuff playing airsoft. You have the super armchair mil-sim dudes who needed to be as "real" as possible with thousands of dollars of gear and who go out of their way to poo poo on and gatekeep everyone else, then you have the actual combat vets that are just there to have a fun time and usually go out of their way to help out new players. I really don't get people that gatekeep hobbies, like, why wouldn't you want to share your passion with as many new people as possible? Instead they just try to drive away any new/casual interest with their gatekeeping and sit in their clubhouse of like 10 other assholes talking about that time they totally owned a 10 year old so hard that the kid left crying.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I saw this on flightsim.to and it prompted me to order a Stream Deck. Glad to get some confirmation that it’s good!

Being able to punch in numbers will be great, but this is what really got my attention:

Just finished a flight after setting up this AP profile and I can confirm it's really nice. Especially helps in the Grumman Goose I've been flying where none of the Nav/AP displays actually work...

Also, I'm late to the VKB chat but will also recommend the Gladiator NXT. Was a massive step up from the controller I was using. I'm also looking forward to the add-on parts they announced too, assuming they ever actually come out...

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

ethanol posted:

I just ordered a gladiator nxt but i didnt think to check this thread... any thoughts? Good call?

I don't have anything to really compare it to since the last joystick I owned was one of these:

but I love mine, bought it for MSFS2020 and ended up enjoying it so much that I picked up DCS, a couple Ace Combats, SW Squadrons, and Project Wingman just so I had more excuses to use it. Definitely interested in all the add-on pieces they're supposed to be releasing for it too.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 30, 2021

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Zero One posted:

The game is really CPU limited.

IIRC it's not even just CPU limited, it's single thread limited.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I'd recommend looking around online for a fillable PDF of button mappings for your stick so that you can have something to document your bindings for each game and throw up on a second monitor or your phone to refer to while in-game until you get used to them. I did this for my Gladiator NXT and it's extremely useful for someone like me that finds the game prompts of "to switch targets press BUTTON 23" useless. Made a big difference both in performance and in memorizing the bindings.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Mikl posted:

Hello hi hello! Sorry for barging into the thread, I would like to ask a question.

To make a long story short, I gave my dad a new PC with MSFS for his birthday (today), and he finds it difficult to adjust to the interface and everything coming from FSX (which was his sim of choice before). Not in the simulation per se, but in the setup phase, all the small minutiae of choosing an aircraft, making a flight plan, and everything.

I know the correct answer would be "tinker around with it and find out how everything works bit by bit" but he's nearly seventy and has little patience, even though he's computer literate.

So, the question: is there a guide for MSFS on How To Do Things? Preferably something in PDF format, that he can put on a tablet or even print out and refer to it while in-game.

Thanks! :)

I don't have any good documentation but I do love P Gatcomb's videos, he seems to have one for every question I have and does a good job of explaining the why as well. Your dad could potentially throw one of these videos on his tablet and follow along on the PC.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I'm late to the old sim memories chat but I played Dynamix's Aces of the Pacific non-stop as a kid and I'm sad that there's really no current sims that can replace the campaign mode of it. The closest is Il-2: Great Battles but I want to shoot down Saburo Sakai in my F4U over the Pacific dammit!

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

mllaneza posted:

IL-2:1946 still has a mod scene, and you can absolutely shoot down Sabura Sakai in an F4U in it. Or, you can try anyway. It's on both GOG and Steam for about ten bucks.

Ok, I gave this a try today and while the graphics are obviously dated it really does scratch that AotP itch, definitely worth :10bux: with the BAT Red Core mod.

Nailed 10 Kates in a Wildcat during the battle of the Coral Sea before getting perforated by a zero and ditching in the ocean next to a sinking Lexington.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

tater_salad posted:

so hey in neofly can I transport an airplane to a spesific airport somehow, if I click connect and fly I get a warning about selecting a mission.

Yeah, if you go to your hangar and right click on the airplane there should be an options to "Bring to pilot location". You pay a bit of cash and it'll move to wherever your pilot is.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I'll also add that for me, hitting NAV on the G1000 in-game has never worked, I had to use the hotkey for it to actually turn on and it took me way too long to figure that out.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I haven't seen anyone mention them it, but while they're waiting out chip shortages and getting the tooling in order for the Charlie Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb's been designing a new HOTAS set.

Sigma Tau

$120 for the stick (Q1 2022 supposedly), $300 for the two together (Q2 2022). Looks pretty good. Would've liked at least $50 knocked off the combo price.

This is different from the other HOTAS set they've been working on, the Tango Foxtrot. That one is still in the works, apparently. They showcased it during a recent event, along with their Lima chair, which... just looks like a typical gaming chair but with built-in peripheral mounts? I think this is going to be a higher-end set compared to the Sigma Tau. There looks to be more movey bits on it.

I'm liking the look of the Tango Foxtrot if only because it's near impossible to find a symmetrical or right-hand throttle that's not a Bravo or Logitech GA style one.

Edit: Also, VKB's new GNX modules are releasing on the 20th apparently. Look pretty good, especially if they're actually around their rumored price of ~$70 apiece.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 7, 2021

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

FunOne posted:

Do any of the planes handle altitude in APR mode? I thought other than the tubeliners you had to manage throttle yourself to stay on the approach and the APR mode just kept it pointed.

I tend to "Jerry" my planes onto the runway, so I'm not a great reference though. A properly lined up approach just feels like it takes so much longer than a diving spiral towards the numbers.

I've had success with the Diamond DA62 and IIRC P. Gatcomb demonstrated how to get AP to capture/follow glideslope in the Bonanza. You do still generally need to handle throttle but only to manage speed, not for altitude. It should be noted that to my understanding only RNAV and ILS approaches will let the AP handle glideslope, a LOC approach only handles the heading.

The P. Gatcomb videos:
ILS Approach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA3OHH06mUs
RNAV Approach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrWAiXUfK9k

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 8, 2021

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Squiggle posted:

Well god drat I finally got around to getting Neofly set up and this is just about exactly what I wanted out of MSFS. The career structure is cool as poo poo, and it's not that hard to get going.

I haven't tried any of the alternatives before so I don't know if this is unique to NeoFly but I really enjoy some of the little stuff they add. Like if you're doing a sensitive cargo delivery and land too hard you get to hear all the glass beakers you've got in back shatter before the ops manager radios you to tell you you're a failure that's definitely not getting paid.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

FunOne posted:

I thought we were getting some freebie combat planes as part of the marketing synergy between MSFS and the new TopGun movie.

I'm guessing those are launching with the movie release which was pushed back to May 2022.

e:fb

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

Thinking of buying the little Logitech throttle quadrant that hangs off the edge of your desk. Is this a terrible mistake?

Space is the primary consideration so the Honeycomb Bravo is right out.

You could also consider the new THQ module from VKB that's releasing on the 20th. Very small footprint.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone make anything like this for twins?

What I really want is just four axis controls. I don’t even need buttons, I already have a warthog. I’d just like prop and mixture controls for flying twin engine warbirds.

Most throttle quadrants, VKB and Logitech included, are designed so that you can combine two (or more) of them together to give yourself as many axis as needed with swappable knobs.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

VKB modules are live, $70/ea. for the throttle and flaps modules, $99 for the NAV module.
https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product_cat=gladiator-nxt-stand-alone-modules

Something to note with VKB though is that they ship direct from wherever they produce these in China so shipping is usually like $30-$50 too.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 20, 2021

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm kind of in love with the new VKB modules but they all seem so pointless. Maybe that's just because civilian flight sims have clickable cockpits, but I totally lost the appeal of a button box with some generic labels when there's an authentic replica of everything in the sim. I like their autopilot panel, though.

Biggest problem I see is that apparently you have to put it together with their custom USB controller? I know that flight sim market is niche, but I can't imagine that a thing the end user has to put together will land them the big MSFS bucks.

If you have a Gladiator NXT you don't need the USB module (unless you need more than 8 axis apparently)

I definitely get what you're saying, for me it's more about having the option to use them if I want them. Sometimes I want to have fun clicking around in the cockpit on a casual flight in a 152. But there's other times where I want to try a challenging approach, or rough weather, or playing IL-2, where I am either to slow with in-game cockpit controls or I get overloaded and just need to be able to quickly accomplish a task and having a button for it makes that possible.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Shipon posted:

Doesn't the NXT premium already have 6 axes used (since the hat stick on top is two axes when you click down on it)? seems like any of those add-ons would push it over that limit, no?

If you want to continue using the throttle axis as an axis then yeah, you'd probably max it out, but if you disable that since you have a dedicated throttle now then you're at 5+3 with a single THQ, and the SEM module doesn't have any axis out of the box (you can convert the gear lever into an axis but out of the box it's a two position lever) and I don't think the FSM module has any either so you could potentially run it all through the integrated connection? You also have the option of using VKB's software to set up two virtual controllers but I have no idea how that works and their software isn't the most user friendly stuff. It is a bummer that it's not just built in though.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I definitely appreciate that more vendors are incorporating spots for phones/tablets in their setups now that companion apps are such a common thing.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

Lmao I love this game

Pedals: please take a look at the VKB pedals. I'm shilling them whenever I can. They're small. Because they press down, they're very ergonomic and comfortable. For the same reason they won't move around on the floor. All around good design.

I don't have any experience with them myself but I've read that the VKB ones are also great for helicopters which I guess isn't always the case with other pedals?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I'll throw out another plug for P Gatcomb

Dude always seems to have a video for every question I have in MSFS2020 and he's also a real life pilot (and I think CFI) so he throws in fun info about how things are done in the sim vs. real life. He also has a fantastic tutorial playlist for DCS called Zero to Ace where he starts you out in a YAK-52 for the basics, then moves you to the L-39 to start learning jets, then moves you to the F-16 for advanced flight stuff.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

3. The G1000 always has the map display and magenta line, so you either have to go out of your way to fly without a flight plan loaded or else the avionics will show you GPS information, which is a problem for learning how to navigate without GPS.

Everything else aside, if you use the Working Title G1000 mod you can switch the MFD to weather radar and turn off the inset map on the PFD. If you cold start you can also just not even turn on the MFD, though that means you lose engine instrumentation (I think you can get this on the PFD though).

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Cross-posting from the DCS thread but I did not realize how important face tracking profiles were in OpenTrack. I've been using AI Track/OpenTrack via my webcam for a while now in MSFS and it worked ok enough out the box for sightseeing but still resulted in me usually not even bothering to turn it and just flying stick+mouse instead of HOTAS because of how often it would glitch out or lose center. About an hour before the goon server DCS flight Saturday I imported someone's preset DCS OpenTrack profile and suddenly it worked exactly as it should and it was amazing.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Yooper posted:

Since VR makes me want to vomit I'm going down the GrassMonkey route with an Ultra Widescreen. I'd like to bust out an MFD or separate display with Helios. Anyone here done it, and if so could you point me to a good tutorial?

I used this one when I did it recently, using the Hornet as his example. It was helpful for at least showing that you need to set up the Viewports Interface and Monitor Setup interface before it'll work, that took me forever to figure out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59D23JQyilU

It's a bit limited if you're trying to set it up for any FC3 planes but I can at least tell you that if you're trying to get the Camera display for the Su-25 then just pull a generic Right MFD display and that will work.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Teeter posted:

Did you get the GNX USB Controller (HID-Main) as well? I'm not sure if it's required in your setup since you are merging it all with the stick that already connects to PC via USB, but I do know that it helps out with windows having trouble recognizing the number of different axes involved. It sucks that it's a really confusing separate add-on but it may be the difference maker for your situation.

I bought a SEM, THQ, and FSM module that I linked with one another and added the USB controller, it all works perfectly as a singular device with buttons assigned normally (no joystick gremlin). I do have a GNXT stick as well but I did not link the extra modules to it as I wanted them physically separate on my desk. Windows sees the stick as one device and the throttle/button box as a second.

This is exactly how I did it as well. SEM, TQH, and FSM connected together with the USB controller so it's a separate device from the GNXT. I originally did it because I couldn't quite figure out how to get it all working when connected through the GNXT but this unintentionally ended up making configuration simpler since it shows up as a separate device (and also like Teeter, I prefer having the stick physically separated from the other modules for ergonomics, something else I hadn't planned on originally). Can't say this will solve your problem Skidoo but figured I'd add on.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Yooper posted:

Cool, this worked. I spent my lunch break working on it and had some success. It's unfortunate there's not much you can export for the SU25T (compared to the other aircraft) but being bale to get the Shkval out and bigger will help immensely.

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm hoping to eventually figure out how to get the remote display stuff working so that I can use my SurfaceBook as a touchscreen for MFDs in the future, or at least something like this Beryoza app working on my phone but for now :iiam:

If you haven't seen them yet, Capt Zeen's Helios profiles seem to be the gold standard.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

ethanol posted:

Have any of you guys been watching this rebuild rescue guy on YouTube try to start a abandoned Cessna 408 (I think 408, it’s a twin engine turbo charged piston engine)?

Just wondering what you think of this joker, he has no pilots license but somehow access to a giant hanger where he gets to work on the thing… somebody tried to offer the real owner $20k after the saw the YouTube videos, apparently the YouTube dude talked the owner out of accepting…

Anyways it seems like a sim goons dream

I've been watching those, my biggest issue (which has been brought up a couple of times in the videos) is him repeatedly interacting with a literal shitload of bird poop with no mask/gloves/goggles. Finally like 4 videos in he started putting gloves on but jfc. Aside from that it's been neat watching him work on those engines even with all the usual YouTube clickbait content.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

azflyboy posted:

I'm thinking he's going to have one hell of a time finding an A&P willing to put their certificate on the line by signing off a bunch of work a random YouTube person did without basically taking the entire airplane apart to make sure the work was done right.

Even if he takes the "lie about who did the work" approach, the lack of maintenance log entries is going to make any competent A&P more than a little suspicious (assuming the airplane was sold with any kind of records begin with), and it'll also mean the airplane is basically worthless if he ever tries to resell it.

Just spray paint "EXPERIMENTAL" on it and say it's an exhibition aircraft for his YouTube channel, problem solved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

For anyone that has a touchscreen or tablet and wants to have a touch display for the G1000 nxi in MSFS I just started using this and it's pretty great. Quick to set up/install and works through any browser, no need for specific apps.
https://github.com/hawkeye-stan/msfs-touch-panel

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 8, 2022