Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
While IL-2 1946 is an all-time classic and deserves mention in the OP, I'd suggest adding IL-2: Great Battles (i.e. Battle of Stalingrad/Bodenplatte/etc.) to the OP, as that that is its modern successor. It had a pretty lovely launch, but they've put in a ton of work and turned it around. Still not at 1946's level for co-op/campaign stuff, but it's good poo poo (and has great VR support).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

VKB is dope.

IL-2 is a good option, being more sim-lite than DCS (realistic physics, simplified cockpit functions). War Thunder (F2P) has Simulator Battles, which is designed for joystick players.

Star Wars Squadrons is dope. I haven't made that much noise playing a game in years. My wife thinks I'm a crazy person.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Soy Division posted:

Do we know if there is a patch coming this week? I have basically quit playing this for now due to all the poo poo the latest patch broke, which makes me sad because I like flight simming and Star Wars Squadrons is a pale substitute.

Somebody mod lasers onto the Cessna.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

sigher posted:

Honestly, when the hell can we expect any Flight Sim Hardware to be in stock ever again? poo poo's getting ridiculous.

VKB North America has their stuff in stock, last I looked.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Regarding VKB orders, I placed my order on 10/2, knowing that VKB HQ was closed for a Chinese holiday. They said they'd resume shipping on 10/12, and I just got the shipping notice today, with delivery scheduled for Wednesday.

I can't speak for their order backlog on entire joysticks, but yeah, there was no delay (aside from the holiday) in getting the KOSMOSIMA Gunfighter grip shipped.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

First Time Caller posted:

Any goon opinions on the MFG Crosswind rudder pedals?

Upgrading to them from my clunky old CH pedals was a goddamn huge leap in quality. They're silky smooth and have several different cams and spring settings to customize the physical resistance curve, if that makes sense. I've not used any of the other high-end pedals out there, but these were exactly what I wanted them to be when I upgraded to them.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

skooma512 posted:

They said they only want DX12 for ray tracing and not for performance.

Flight sim devs not caring about performance???

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Richard Burns Rally is torture compared to Dirt Rally, so naturally that's the one that is assumed to be extremely realistic. Ever driven a car in a straight line on gravel roads? Literally impossible. :smug:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

That is part of why I force a capped frame rate in the Nvidia control panel. At least then it won't try to run anything at 3000fps or what have you.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

sigher posted:

Does any flight sim hardware do this? Seems like it wouldn't be worth the cost designing and implementing this when no other PC hardware ever uses something like this.

There's a switch or two on the Warthog throttle with a spring return, but yeah, it's not common.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

MrYenko posted:

My buddy got his Reverb G2 yesterday and is stoked to get motion sick as gently caress at 15fps in DCS since neither of us has been able to score a 30xx card yet. (He still has a loving 970.)

No problem, that game's engine is like 25 years old so it should run just fine. :shepface:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

VR performance is inversely proportional to how new the game is.

This was kind of meant as a joke but also the more I think about it the more it’s vaguely true because it seems like not-originally VR games really need a lot of attention to not suck rear end in VR performance wise.

I know what you mean; X-Wing Alliance has a VR mod, but it's a struggle to get it running well because the engine is all software rendering.

DCS gets on my nerves because the game, even outside VR, seems to run worse and worse as time goes on. Like, they're probably to make the engine do stuff that they just can't optimize it to do well, so it gets proportionally slower and shittier over time. I can't think of any other game I have where I think "man, this seemed to run better 8 years ago."

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Yeah, I've never had issues with iRacing in VR. Runs way better for me than, say, Project Cars 2.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

Best VR game for me stays Warm Thunder, at least when I last played it. Ran smooth like silk on a gtx970.

Yeah, War Thunder runs very well in VR, though I've not tried it since the Biggest Update Ever thingy they pushed out. Biggest issue is the UI, which has scaling issues in VR that you have to fix by messing with the non-VR window resolution.

I wish you could put bots in both tanks and planes in private games. I'd love to do some combined arms PvE with my friends.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Any tips for helicopters? I got the AS350 for XP11 and even with very gentle and gradual movements, it's an even chance that I flip over on takeoff. Or I can maintain steady flight for a few minutes, move the cyclic a little bit to the right, and end up barrel rolling into the ground. It's hilarious, but not very productive.

I know the AS350 is naturally a really squirrely aircraft. I made progress with DCS Mi-8 but that too, I rarely feel like I'm in control and I could easily end up falling out of the sky. I kind of wish either of these games came with like, an R22 or some other small, basic helicopter to get a feel for flying them. Fixed wings scale well and I feel like (in sims) I can just pick one up of any siz and generally not spike the plane into the ground, but with helicopters a type progression is definitely warranted lol.

Yeah, the Mi-8 is much easier to fly, since it's a big pig. Little helicopters are way the hell harder to handle. Do you have sensitivity curves set in the software or your joystick profiler? It is very rare that you'll use anything close to the full breadth of your physical axis with a helicopter (especially small ones) unless you are either a super ace or are panicking as you plummet to your death, so you can bend the hell out of that response curve to make twitchy helicopters easier to fly. A desktop joystick has nowhere near the range of motion of an IRL cyclic, so you moving your hand an inch to the right will have a much stronger effect on the helicopter than if you moved your hand an inch to the right in an actual helicopter.

This is technically true for planes in sims as well, but as you noted, planes are much more forgiving and easier to fly in general. Helicopters hate flying and hate you for wanting to fly them (except the Black Shark :swoon: ).

Try making a sensitivity curve that seems like it's complete overkill, like 2-3 times as hard of a curve as you think you need, and see how that feels. Dial it back (or up!) as needed.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

lobsterminator posted:

To make helicopters truly enjoyable in sims you'd probably need something like this to get the sensitivity required. Hovering requires such subtle controls.

Yeah, helicopter poo poo got way easier when I put my stick on a 200mm extension.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

Seeing as how TrackIr changed my life, I can inagine VR is ridiculous

VR is dope, but it's a bigger deal in combat, space, and driving games than in civilian flight, IMO.

That said, I enjoy dicking around with X-Plane in VR and I'm looking forward to trying MS2020, especially bush flight stuff where I don't need to mess with GPS switches and poo poo.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I can't believe this - I mean, what, do you think they just started with FSX code and built off of that entirely? That game has massive issues and is 10 years old.

Oh.

Ooooh.

*glares at DCS devs*

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I did manage to get 40 minutes of flight in in-between driver crashes. The VR experience was very cool. The game automatically set my settings to a mix of medium and low. I upped the render scale to 100% and tweaked a couple other settings lower, and it ran semi-smoothly. I have little experience with VR so I don't really know how to describe how it performed well. I also don't know how to view performance metrics while in VR. All I can say was that looking around felt jittery. The scrolling scenery when compared directly against the static cockpit also felt jittery. But when focusing on just the scenery itself, it felt smooth. I wonder if there was any frame smoothing happening or if that's just how eyes work, like they were able to adapt to the lower frame rate or something. This was all on a 5700XT with an i5-8400.

Once I got used to the performance weirdness, it was a really fascinating experience. I think this goes beyond a neat gimmick, this definitely feels like a valid primary way to play flight sims... when it works. I should try out some combat flight sims next. What's the IL2 one everyone says has good VR?

While SteamVR has some basic performance tools you can enable, it's worth 4 bucks to buy fpsVR, as it's much tidier.

Yes, you definitely had frame smoothing going on. If the framerate drops below your headsets refresh rate, then your headset will cap the framerate to half the refresh rate and use smoothing to make everything appear okay, though you'll see artifacts here and there, especially if you turn your head quickly or some object moves quickly on screen. If the framerate drops below half the refresh rate, then everything will get jittery and lovely, so ideally you want to keep the framerate at, say, at least 45fps on a headset with a 90hz refresh rate.

For a title like this, constant framerate smoothing is serviceable. For something like Star Wars Squadrons, you want to keep the framerate high enough to avoid smoothing (i.e. comfortably above the refresh rate), because all the quick movement and poo poo flying around the screen will make artifacts during framerate smoothing.

The IL-2 Great Battles series has good VR support. On Steam, you have to buy Battle of Stalingrad as base game, then additional modules as DLC. On the dev's website, you can buy and run any module without getting Stalingrad first. Battle of Bodenplatte is my favorite, because I am a P-38 junkie, but get whichever module has planes you like.

Shine fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 26, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Stringent posted:

Sorry if this has been covered already I just wanted a quick sanity check. I finally got around to installing the VR update and the performance is terrible, like way worse than DCS. Is this more likely a settings issue on my end or about par for the course with what everyone else is getting?

I got trash performance with an 8700K at 4.9, an RTX 3080, and 32GB of RAM on an Index at 80hz and 80% rendering resolution and everything in low. I'll gently caress with settings at some point, but yeah, it's bad out the gate.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Mailer posted:

I've got twist mapped to rudder as default but it's got the same binary on-or-off problem as the ds4 controller I was using previously, so I assume stuff is just broken.

Did you map the twist to the Rudder Left and Rudder Right controls, or did you map it to the singular Rudder Axis control?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

soggybagel posted:

Getting increasingly depressed that it seems like I'll not be able to get a new video card for months. The goddamn 3080 came out in September and its still having supply issues...same with the 70 and 60.

drat, still? Sorry, that blows :(

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

is this the thread for talking about how awesome Project Wingman is

It's still puzzling to me that some dipshit in the VR thread took issue with me wanting to play that game with a HOTAS (for which the game touts its support) because "it's a gamepad game" and you're not allowed to use a joystick for an airplane unless it's a simulator. Like I was tarnishing the integrity of the input device, or some poo poo.

The VR thread is no stranger to arbitrary gamer nonsense, but that was particularly :psyduck: to me.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I think it is saying to throw your money at them, nothing really matters, they made a good throttle.

Looking forward to them releasing this in 2027, right after the throttle that was almost ready for release two years ago!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

lobsterminator posted:

Joystick twist is the worst possible way to control rudder. You need to be able to keep the rudder in a position while simultaneously move the stick and that is near impossible by twisting. I use a thumb knob in my throttle to control rudder.

I don't have pedals myself but they are strongly recommended if you are serious enough about flying.

That said, it is doable. People have managed it for years, though pedals or non-twist rudder control of some sort is generally easier. No harm in buying the NXT, messing with it, and looking for pedals if you get sufficiently annoyed with twist and can't figure something else out.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I have MFG Crosswind pedals and love them. I got them over the VKB because I prefer to have toe brakes (mostly for Elite, using them as supplemental throttle controls, like a quick reverse thruster with the left toe brake), but if you don't care about toe brakes, then the VKBs look really good. Can't speak for them personally, though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

That too! Didn't understand how people could like games where you basically had to walk away from it but it is a little bit suspenseful leaving your plane in the hands of the autopilot while you go take a walk.

I've taken a bathroom break while flying the Ka-50 in DCS World (in a non-combat free flight, of course). Considering that helicopters are impossible in the best of cases, it's amazing how capable that thing's autopilot is.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I use a split keyboard that doesn't have a numpad. It's super comfy, being able to separate the halves and have them line up with my shoulders properly.

That said, I bought a standalone numpad to keep next to it, because I am a baby and need a numpad when I'm doing spreadsheet bullshit.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

It's rare for me to start a game up in VR and have it work without having to restart the game, the headset, or both. Sometimes Windows Mixed Reality forgets my settings, sometimes my headset won't track, every game flickers like crazy on load (which is great if you have a history of seizures), sometimes Steam VR forgets my settings, sometimes the head re-center function doesn't work, etc. And why are Windows Mixed Reality AND Steam VR necessary? Shouldn't one VR loader be enough?

Sounds about right. Didn't this thread (or its predecessor) have a subtitle like, "I spent 30 minutes fixing it and was too tired to fly" or something?

VR is a pain in the dick. Once it works and you're sliding the Lancia Stratos around a blind corner next to a cliff, it's "HOLY poo poo VR IS AMAZING THIS IS THE BEST." But yeah, I often need to spend several minutes (or a lot of minutes) fixing some stupid thing that broke, between SteamVR, Logitech wheel drivers, or whatever else.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I use an FPS cap at all times. Happens to help with this issue.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Helicopter rescues are dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0z9HRC7hlU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Icedude posted:

Oh their discord mods are 'community volunteers' and as such egotistical shitheads, yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wol70cBLNd8

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

FunOne posted:

Anyone have an opinion on the VKB joysticks? Thinking about upgrading from the Thrust master Xbox one to something nicer. The xbox one is fine for arcade games but it has a big dead zone and isnt the smoothest thing in the world.

Night-and-day difference from my old CH Fighterstick. I have both the Gunfighter 2 MCG (mounted in a simpit) and the older Gladiator Mk II (used at my desk) and they're dope.

Anything you get from VKB, Virpil, or even the higher-end Thrustmaster stuff (Warthog, T16000M) will be way the gently caress better than what you're using now, so just get whatever looks appealing and is within your budget. The Gladiator NXT is a superb budget option.

I will say that VKB's Gunfighter MCG (Modern Combat Grip) is really loving big, being a replica of a grip designed for IRL Russian pilots who have large hands and are wearing gloves. Honestly, I think most gamers could do better, ergonomics-wise. The grip they released with space combat in mind, the SCG, feels better, as it was specifically designed for gaming instead of being a replica. There are also some issues with both the SCG and the F-14 grip if you plan to mount them between your legs on a simpit (they don't support as much rotational offset as the MCG, which can be an ergonomics problem for some people), but that's N/A for either using them on a desktop or side-mounted.

tl;dr get the Gladiator NXT. It's a fantastic stick at a budget price (as far as high-end poo poo goes). You can always sell it later (it'll hold quite a bit of value) if you ever want to get into higher-end stuff.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

ethanol posted:

I just ordered a gladiator nxt but i didnt think to check this thread... any thoughts? Good call?

It's arguably the best stick you can buy without spending like $300. You chose wisely.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

ethanol posted:

I’m coming from a Logitech 3D pro I bought in like 2012. Dang thing is so wobbly I have to set like 25% deadzone

You are gonna by thrilled. I went from a CH Fighterstick to VKB and the difference in quality is bonkers.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Flight simming in VR is a pain for spotting planes in games without labels, yeah, but I do appreciate what it does for the actual flight. Little stuff like being able to tell more easily if my altitude is changing without looking at dials, because I can more easily see that out the window. And it's dope with helicopters, especially when hovering, because those tiny corrections are so much easier to detect and make. Landing aircraft in general is also much easier for me in VR. But yeah, there are tradeoffs, especially if you have notes on your desk (like non-GPS navigation stuff) or are gonna fly for hours, and may be inconvenienced or uncomfortable with a headset on the whole time.

Now racing sims? Holy poo poo I'll never play them outside of VR ever again, if I can help it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

skooma512 posted:

You don’t need Nyogel really, I used common Super Lube silicone grease. 10 bux on Amazon now and it’s probably around in hardware stores. Tension screw is a Phillip head.

I wonder if people could just mail each other and share a tube of nyogel because like gently caress nobody is gonna use all of a tube anyway .

Goon Lube Swap 2021

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

On a somewhat unrelated note, T16000M sticks seem to be in stock and going for about $80 at the moment (I got the Airbus-styled version but the only functional difference is that the little throttle slider has a detent at 20%).

I ain't no fancy pants plane drivin' type fella or nothing but I think it's fantastic, at least based on my quick session with it earlier today. Feels like a very high-end piece of kit. I don't know if they'll work on the Xbox version but if you're looking to pick up a stick on PC then I'd definitely recommend it.

It's a good stick and that's a good price for it. From there you're looking at stuff like the entry-level VKB (and other boutique) sticks, or the Warthog. And those are all great, but the TnumbersM will satisfy the vast majority of people.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

MrYenko posted:

:hmmyes:

Every time I hear that music I'm immediately 17 years old again.

:corsair:

Same with this and being 11:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jQVZaFPaOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I still don't understand this. I kind of get it when it's Ferrari refusing to let their cars be in Need For Speed because they don't want to be seen as condoning street racing or running from the police. But I don't get how seeing a video game version of the car/plane get damaged is supposed to be bad for the company. Like people wouldn't know that Boeing jets can crash until they saw it in MSFS and now they're panic-selling their stock?

I don't care that the planes don't have damage models. I just want to know who is such a weenie that they won't allow it

Wasn't this also a thing with the original Gran Turismo? I feel like I read that, though I don't know if that was on anything credible. Granted, adding damage models to that many cars was probably something the devs were glad not to have to do.