Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
A few pages ago there was some chat about hardware. It's been a loooong time since I played flight sims and I want to get back into it. I was originally thinking I'd splurge on the Thrustmaster Warthog (it's what I'd long thought to be the be-all-end-all of HOTAS setups), but after doing some research I learned there are some strong competitors in the "crazy expensive" market. Sounds like everyone has their own opinion, but Virpil seems to be holding the majority of recommendations.

How easy is the Virpil stuff to set up from a software perspective? Is it pretty much plug and play, or am I going to have to mess around with custom drivers, horribly designed apps, etc.?

What is the recommended combo for Virpil? This is what I'm thinking from their website:
- VPC WarBRD Base (can this reasonably sit on a desk or will I need to get mounts for this stuff, which I'd rather avoid?)
- VPC Constellation ALPHA-R
- VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

And which set of rudder pedals should I look at?

Or maybe after all that, the Warthog is just as good I should get that? For reference, I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3D at the moment, so anything would be a big upgrade...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva

jadebullet posted:

Just a heads up. Il2 great battles is having a sale. Just picked up 5 aircraft for the price of 1.

I was thinking about getting into this game, so this is great timing. But dumb question: if I buy from the IL2 website directly, is there no Steam key? Not saying that's a problem, especially to save 75% or whatever. Also, is it worth buying the premium edition of each pack for the 2 extra aircraft, or is the standard good enough?

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
Good info, thanks - now just waiting for my hardware from Virpil to ship...

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
Does anyone have tips for getting bush trips to complete successfully in MSFS 20? Progression seems normal up until the last leg, at which point it never seems to register correctly. I'm left with a bunch of trips at 90% complete or whatever.

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva

Kalman posted:

SmoothTrack works surprisingly well - it uses the depth camera on your iPhone for face tracking and then passes the positional info to OpenTrack.

Seconding this. It's like a $10 app and is pretty easy to set up. I got a cheap phone stand from Amazon, put my old iPhone on it, and launch the app. I'd say it's worth trying this before spending money on anything fancier.

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva

Steadiman posted:

Since SU10 I've been noticing some extremely annoying pauzes/stutters at the exact moment of touchdown, and sometimes in the last moments leading up to touchdown. Almost like it's loading something or writing something and it just freezes, sometimes for whole seconds, causing the touchdown to go horribly wonky right when it comes back. It's insanely annoying because it'll completely ruin an otherwise decent landing. This'll happen on default scenery with the sim chugging along at rock solid high fps prior, so I can't really imagine it being a framerate issue. Tried turning down settings, clearing the community folder, everything short of a complete reinstall. Does anyone else have this? Or any ideas what might be causing it? Someone on the official forums said it might be a logbook thing but I have no way of verifying that.

I also get random pauses, where mine last about half to one second. Luckily though, they don't seem to happen right at touchdown - usually as I'm either taking off, or as I'm on (very) short final. Almost like it's loading in/out some more detailed ground textures or airport objects. Annoying, but they haven't made me crash yet. I don't have any modes installed, so that at least eliminates that possiblity. I've thought about trying to mess with some different graphics settings but don't really want to take the time to try a million different combinations.

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva

Chubby Henparty posted:

No way I need any more kit but pleasantly surprised to see a worriying email from virpil headed 'price adjustment' saying that prices were, in fact, going down.

I know! Combined with their new US store, I'm tempted to upgrade to the new Alpha Prime even though I only got my Alpha "regular" about 6 months ago.

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
Thirding Virpil. I bought the CM3 throttle and Constellation Alpha stick a little less than a year ago following some recommendations from this thread, and have been very pleased with them despite the high cost. I agree that the software is not very intuitive, but the folks over on the virpil forums are very helpful, and there have been some excellent youtube tutorials made.

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva

Squiggle posted:

Opentrack is no more complicated than Track IR.

Agreed, I got Opentrack up and working in like 10-15 minutes max. Works totally fine for me in MSFS and DCS. Yes, VR would probably be even better, but this was a hell of a lot cheaper.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I still have my old (but totally decent) 24" 1080p monitor and TrackIR.
I'd recommend going for a new monitor first. The 1080p 24" you say you have now is pretty small/low res, and I think you'd get a lot more general benefit and enjoyment out of your system if you upgrade to a 1440p at 27" or even a bit bigger. The bigger monitor will make general computer use (browsing youtube, playing other non-sim games, and most importantly, forums posting) so much better. Besides, you've already got a TrackIR so that's still a decent start. Then, save up and get a VR headset whenever you've got some spare cash again in the future.

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
I have an old iPhone and the SmoothTrack app (like $10), connected to OpenTrack running on my computer. It actually works pretty well, and doesn't require any special headgear. Even though it has to send its data from the iPhone over my wifi to my PC, I find it's still plenty responsive. Granted, I've never used TrackIR or anything like that, but for $10, it's probably worth a try before investing in something significantly more expensive. If you have a webcam (I don't on this computer) I think you can even skip the iphone app and just use the totally free OpenTrack program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
I've been enjoying Brew Barons so far as well. There are a few things about the gameplay aspect that aren't very clearly explained but the steam forums seem to be catching up and you kind find answers to most questions now. The devs seem to putting out quick patches every day to address issues as they come up, which is good.

Flying is definitely very arcade-y, but works really well with a controller - there is absolutely no need for HOTAS for this game, and in fact I imagine it might actually be a worse experience. I would definitely re-buy this if it comes out on console, just to chill on the couch and play it.