Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
So here's some interesting info on the hellworld that is the MSFS installer:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/...-002/184428/234

TL/DR: If you're installing the game and it keeps resetting an individual file's progress to 0%, it's because it's so bad at networking that you will have to artificially cap your bandwidth to ~500kb/sec. Once you've slowed yourself down to DSL speeds, it will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Kilonum posted:

Civilian Sims

Microsoft Flight Simulator X Olde. Also available on Steam!
Microsoft Flight Simulator (11/2020) The new hotness. Steam link.
X-Plane It's getting better Also available on Steam.
Prepar3D DON'T HAVE FUN WITH THIS! lol not on steam.

You linked to X-Plane 10 on Steam. Here's a link to X-Plane 11:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/269950/XPlane_11/

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Roll could be either from a bad joystick config, the plane itself doing plane things or both.

There's no plane to plane collision. They thankfully realized that assholes were too abundant (and that the ATC can't really manage traffic).

If you tell us what plane you're flying, we can tell you how to work the AP in it.

Flights will only end and return you to the menu if you're parked where the game wants you to park (easiest is to ask for taxi to parking/gate), you turn off the engine and the electrics. You can randomly bump into a game-approved parking spot (the taxi assistance trails will show it as a green box once you're already on top of it), but even perfectly valid IRL parking spots might not trigger the end menu if that's not where the game wants you to park right now. Don't feel bad, quitting back to the menu and getting sent there from parking function the same. The game logs your landing, but nothing about parking so it's identical stat-wise.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
You can't collide with any planes, player or AI. Which is good because neither of them are going to try to avoid hitting you.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Great news! No new bugs with today's MSFS patch!

(Because it's delayed)

https://www.flightsimulator.com/update-5-delay/

quote:

Update #5 Delay

Posted by: Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

We encountered some issues related to the autopilot across various planes right before we were set to release Update 5. We decided to take some extra time to address the issues to ensure that everyone will enjoy this update. It’s going to take a few days, but it is close! Thank you for your patience.

-The MSFS Team-

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 27, 2020

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

Kind of funny how FSX was all steam gauge planes, with one state-of-the-art G1000 plane available as a paid extra

Not that surprising. 14 years is a lot of time for tech expectations to change. FSX is older than the iPhone.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
So are 747s still hosed in MSFS or are they flyable now?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
FYI if you picked up the free DLC of some airport in Europe that one of the payware companies released (Aerosoft?) that thing's like 7GB. So maybe checking all to download in that updater isn't always a great idea.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Wait they tried to kill an old man by making him do maneuvers that would kill his engine? Those monsters!

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
That sounds like a really neat idea. Simulate the parts of an actual engine, throw some incoming damage at it and observe how the model responds.

Of course if you're not pants on head retarded, you would then take the data from that observation and make a chart with % outcomes and run the actual game with that. Because you don't need a real time simulation of every cell in Adam Jensen's robopancreas to accurately model how each candy bar he ingests progresses him on the path towards diabetes.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 6, 2020

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Otis Reddit posted:

What's the best way to play Flight Sim 2020? I want to have mod support when the mod community starts fixing areas that are kinda fuctup.

Don't buy any version but the basic bitch one. Any *premium* plane is DRMed and can never be fixed by the community. Windows store vs steam doesn't really matter too much.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

sigher posted:

So with the Reverb G2 already in consumer hands and me getting mine tomorrow and getting stoked as hell for it... when is the VR update? Did the VR beta ever roll out?

You're not going to like when your left eyeball rolls 90 degrees to the left at the bottom half of every third minute.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

jammyozzy posted:

Is icing bugged in MSFS for anybody else? I just lawn-darted a C172 into part of Canada despite having it set to "visual only" because I went vaguely near a cloud and immediately froze solid.

Yep. I'm in New England and I can't fly with real weather on most days unless the plane has de-icing stuff in it.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Yeah it's a *lot* better on new sets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-QfaV9TntQ

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Cat Wings posted:

I'm planning on getting MSFS soon, but I don't have a HOTAS. Is it playable with mouse and keyboard, or maybe a controller, or am I hosed?

It's great with an xbox controller. It's a civ flight sim. Nobody's trying to shoot you down, so you can take your time clicking buttons in the cockpit with your mouse.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
What do you find iffy about landing with a controller? The only thing I don't like is there's no on-screen feedback about your current throttle % when you adjust it with the gamepad buttons.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I see "gently caress You, It's January!" has outlived movie theaters and continued on into the direct-to-streaming marketplace.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

TypeScript doesn't get compiled down to WASM, it gets translated to JavaScript and in MSFS that JavaScript code gets executed by CoherentUI's JavaScript interpreter for the purposes of driving the HTML cockpit displays.

"HTML cockpit displays" is a fairly cursed sentence in its own right but at least it's only a video game. SpaceX's real life manned rockets have an on-board Chrome user interface. They actually brag about this.

The SpaceX thing is probably fine. Each display is probably it's own embedded device. It ends up being a shitshow in MSFS because the airliners have 8 of the fuckers and they're all seem to be on the same core.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

If the flat panels are chrome, can someone add a new tab/page option to look for hot singles in my area when I’m on long cruises?

I know there's at least a mod to read twitch chat and play twitch alerts on your MFDs.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
You can't actually control the garmin stuff in MSFS can you? I haven't flown anything since October, but last I'd played there weren't actually binds in the sim for the Garmin specific controls. So you can adjust the AP stuff (heading, alt, etc) and radios, but not like pages on the MFD or the knob that does the airport code input for your flight plans.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Shipon posted:

There aren't direct binds but there are API hooks in the game that let an external app directly manipulate those variables, IIRC.

That would still be new actually. The API hooks weren't there at launch.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, something happened in 2020 that caused production of electronics components to suddenly stop.

Don't be silly. China easily beat the virus almost a year ago and everything there is fine now. Just ask them.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Zero One posted:

Looks like AOPA is using FS2020 to create their accident investigation videos now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rryvSQhK7k

Jesus. That poor bastard even had a parachute for his airplane and he still got himself killed. :eng99:

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Trillhouse posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174598982937

Heads up for people looking for a new HOTAS setup. I know they can be hard to find.

I love that the thing on the right with one switch seems to count as a simulated 'panel'.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
First time back since October. So the weather still doesn't load in the US? There goes my dreams of dying horribly in tonight's snowstorm.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Has any FS ever had good ATC? I know X-Plane's ATC guided me directly into a mountain in Alaska.

It is weird to me that they've got all these waypoints and approach plates to draw from, but none of the ATC ever seem to direct you to them.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

jammyozzy posted:

In keeping with the thread title, the latest MSFS world update broke the physics model a bit and now flaps generate twice the amount of lift as intended: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/flight-dynamics-bug-details/368499

The official solution right now is to edit each plane's flight_model.cfg and divide the lift_coef_flaps or lift_scalar value by 2. Premium aircraft can't be fixed and Asobo currently plan to fix it properly with next month's sim update.

:ughh:

What an utterly useless and incompetent company.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 20, 2021

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Worst case, you could just unbind the rudder axis from MSFS.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Glad they get paid. But I'm not looking forward to everything they make breaking all the time in accordance with company policy.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm trying to understand what the graphics engine actually does. Due to this ReBAR poo poo on NVidia, I've been trying various games and things. Eventually I flew over open ocean, no land in sight, still 45 fps, on external view. I mean how? There's barely anything in geometry.

You can turn on the FPS measuring doohickey in the dev tools. There you will be able to find out that the reason your game runs like poo poo is because most of your gauges are individual tabs of chrome written in the dumbest way physically possible to mankind.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That person has lots of love. So much love.

More love than the piece of poo poo who wrote that installer ever deserved.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Zero One posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ6XpfaWbko

Microsoft Flight Simulator Lands on Xbox Series X|S and with Xbox Game Pass on July 27

Plus a Top Gun expansion this fall.

A month and a half? Woo boy that's going to be a loving poo poo show when that goes live. I can't wait.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
So what's the current version number of MSFS now? I boot mine up, it shows me a splash screen about the Nordic update, doesn't update anything else and it tells me that my game version is 1.17.3.0.

Are their servers currently so hosed that it failed to reach them when I started the program and so it's assuming it's up to date?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Since this is now on the actual xbox, did they ever fix the rudders being complete poo poo on the triggers?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Saved flight plans have 0 fuel when loaded. So that's why your plane keeps stalling out at the runway no matter how many times you hit Ctrl-E to start the loving engine.

You're not crazy.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I'm getting what I thought were crashes (because the sim literally pauses mid-flight and becomes unresponsive for 20-30 seconds at a time), but might be terrain loading / downloading? That's new and real loving annoying.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Did anyone ever make a mod to make the trees smaller? Might be easier to sightsee my town if we weren't surrounded by nearly as many 150ft oaks as MSFS seems to think we are.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I have had to nuke my entire windows install. Microsoft is so loving terrible that this game's lovely installer and uninstallers get all up in your poo poo for no justifiable reason.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Clearing your manual and rolling cache can help with the CTDs on load too.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Well maybe. It seems like it's doing the same bullshit as last patch where the update server doesn't respond, so it assumes everything is up to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

JayKay posted:

I'm having the same issue.

Steam updated, however the in-game update prompt isn't showing up.

I booted MSFS 6 times in a row and it never found an update. I tried rebooting my PC and the next launch it told me there was an update for it in the windows store. I think there must be some idiotic incestuous tie in to the OS that has no reason to exist, but does.