Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

If I can commit to the urge I’ll start to compile a “heres good addons” list for MSFS. Even with some news and add on sites and an official marketplace it seems like the community is again going to refuse to coalesce in any one place and there’s already good poo poo out there that folks probably don’t know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah it launched like roughly a month ago..? And I preordered later that same day and I’m due to receive mine sometime mid November and there were already several waves after my order.

I understand some percentage of their stock is going to partner retailers and those aren’t necessarily spoken for, but I don’t know when and how readily you’d be able to claim one.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Europe update patch notes:
-added 40 custom airports in Europe
-added 60 new hand crafted landmarks and surrounding scenery

Known issues:
-flying below 3000ft or above 5000ft in Europe results in a crash
Workaround: set clock to 12:00 utc and count backwards from 10 after starting the battery and then open the VFR map twice

-autopilot tries to fly you exclusively to Toronto Billy Bishop whenever enabled
-workaround: plan flights that end in Toronto

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Scarecow posted:

how the hell are they going to get VR to be not a vomit inducing ride?

Fwiw my Xplane VR ran like dogshit for framerate and it never once got me sick. And as a “control” - onward and some other VR experiences definitely got me sick every time, so it’s not like I was immune.

I don’t know enough about both the brain trickery and the VR implementation to know how to avoid it, but I’d think they can find a way

Other than the fact that enabling VR will cause a crash whenever you look over your right shoulder more than 120 degrees and probably some other entirely bizarre bugs that’ll persist through a ton of VR patches like that.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

VR motion sickness, for what it’s worth, seems to be VERY subjective.

I have an iron stomach and don’t get motion sickness from drat near anything - but specifically Onward VR was gag worthy within about 20 minutes of play. Meanwhile I can play other VR games like The Climb or spin around acrobatically in planes and other flying things with no issue - games which I’ve had friends say make them puke like I did with onward. It’s really weird what your brain picks up that it decides what’s okay or what’s gonna make you wanna vomit.

In a way that’s an indictment of VR though because really the only way to know if an experience is going to screw you up is to try specifically that experience unless you really just can’t do VR in any way at all. FWIW being seated and “grounded” in view with having a cockpit hasn’t ever been an issue for me or the few folks I’ve had use my headset, where as more movement oriented games have been. X-plane even ran so bad that by the FPS counter it should have been pukey, but the only issue was bad resolution.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I have no experience with it, but given how “early” VR feels and the hoops you have to jump through to get it to run well on official, supported games and platforms, I can’t imagine trying to use third party stuff to try and stream to a headset not meant for the experience.

Imo if a game doesn’t have the actual developer implementing and supporting specific VR it’s just way too janky to run. Anything I’ve run that hasn’t been a specific VR release is trash. For better or worse, VR cannot just be a drop in head tracking replacement if the game doesn’t build around it. It speaks to why VR is special, but also prevents it from being as extensible as head tracking.

E: and I know it’s not a universal opinion, but despite all of my caveats in these posts about VR, there is nothing more special than feeling like you’re there and having the lighting and depth that VR brings to a civilian flight sim. Realistically I hated the poo poo out of x-plane purely on its merits, but I was willing to pound that fucker into something I’d enjoy because the experience of being in the plane and flipping switches with VR hands was so fuckin cool.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 8, 2020

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

skooma512 posted:

I looked all over the cockpit for a selector lever, and people on some other forum say the same as you: There are two fuel tanks but they drain equally and without any way for the pilot to select them.

I want to reiterate that I want to love this game, so bad, but it feels like its only gotten way worse since launch and new bugs and errors keep cropping up with each patch.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

DX12 w.i.p to coincide with Xbox?

I wonder what the ramifications of that will be?

1.10.9.8.34 Patch Notes
-DX12 crashes whenever an odd number of switches are in the off position for more than 45 seconds.
—workaround: reinstall windows and don’t touch any lighting switches.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Soy Division posted:

Are there any jets in MSFS2020 that are flyable without an incredible amount of jankiness? I keep losing money in OnAir buying one then selling it because of glaring issues that ruin the flying experience.

The best luck I had was grabbing the latest A320 community mod here:
https://github.com/flybywiresim/a32nx

No idea, though, if this is free of jank in the latest patch or even updated for it or not. Sadly I'm kind of shelving the sim until I can play it without tons of crashes and bugs and all that plaguing me. I spent more time trying to diagnose and workaround than flying the last couple patches.

With any luck by the time its OK my new hardware will be here.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I know that navy pilot got in trouble for drawing a dick n balls with his flight path a couple years ago, but can you get in trouble for flying writing out "gently caress you tim" with your flight path over Tim's house.

Unless Tim is a real stand up guy, I bet he’ll be pissed.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Also, a community upgrade for the CJ4: https://github.com/Working-Title-MSFS-Mods/fspackages

I'm sad because I don't think this will affect the Longitude, being a premium, but if they can fix the CJ4, hell yeah.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

skooma512 posted:

lmao I can't believe the gucci planes are all broken AND you can't even mod them.

Would have happily shelled out for it too if the game wasn't busted. Don't even remember what GAs even are there, but I want planes gimme gimme gimme.

Just to be totally fair, I don't *know* that that's the case, but I did hear something to the effect of "they're encrypted so they can't mod them" so only the stock planes are community upgradeable. It makes sense, though. I'm really bummed, the Longitude was likely going to be my favorite. Still, I will take the CJ4 if this mod can trick it out.

Excited for them to get some better quality patches done. I have hated being away from Flight Sim recently, but soon I'll have both the Alpha Yoke and Bravo Throttle from Honeycomb and then by god am I ever going to double down playing this come hell or high water (or bad patch.)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Man, I really do need to hold myself to making a big Effort Post for mods for this game. It's a real shame they don't seem to want to let the Marketplace be essentially the "Nexusmods" for MSFS because there's already a ton of pretty good content that is impossible to find without absolutely crawling around every community site constantly.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Ya, that’s pretty much my biggest complaint with FS thus far. A centralized repository for payware and mods with auto updates would be killer.

Then they built it, and decided not to use it.

:argh:

It's wild that they can't see they'd have an absolute home run for monetization if they managed to actually draw the community to one core interface, but they delivered a lovely weird marketplace and then either were too spread thin or otherwise out of touch to really capitalize on it. You needed to push "This is the place to get payware and mods" from launch, but no - they immediately let every payware and community modder split into a dozen different websites and deliveries. Even with a somehow worse launch than this, if you can rally the community to your tools and things, you'd have a killer platform.

It makes me really think they really got pushed to just figure out the Azure/Bing Maps integration (since that's at least reliable) and the Xbox offering, because it reads like the viable product wasn't "A flight sim for the new decade" but "A marketing vehicle for other products." I think they still win on the flight sim aspect more or less by default because other commercial/GA sims are so terribly old and janked but man, they are leaving so much on the table if they can't shape it up sooner than later.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Charles posted:

And they own Bethesda...whose games are entirely fixed by fan patches. All they need to do now is buy Nexus mods and they will have the complete ecosystem!!!

Also there's no way they could monopolize the marketplace without a huge backlash.

I think there's a way - in theory, but absolutely not in any way they'd try. I think it's truly a case of "If you build it [correctly], they will come." You don't need to make it a huge walled garden, just a good platform for developers (payware or free mods) and a better platform for users. Some people will still gently caress off to various poo poo FsMods2020.lt like Truck Sim or it's ilk, but if you center the community somewhere you'll get the lion's share of good content.

It's like steam workshop. Some modders on some games seem to loving hate the workshop, but unless they're literally the most unique and necessary mod, as a user I am much happer to one click install/uninstall, grab any dependencies, and never have to think about updating it manually. Steam workshop doesn't have 100% of the 3rd party content for a game and its imperfect, sure, but if you can build that for Flight Sim you've won a lot of the battle.

I say in theory because inevitably if they tried to monopolize the market place it would end up being like "only add partnered developers to the market place by hand every month" and that would really suck...

...Oh.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 28, 2020

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Honestly don’t buy the premium editions barring:
-definite interest in several of the airports (one or two will be cheaper to buy third party payware which is potentially better quality)
-and/or a pathological need to have one of the variants of planes right now and you can’t wait.

The fact that their stock planes are so broken and the community can’t fix premium ones sucks. The extra airports are cool but I bet you’d be better off picking and choosing unless you really need the ones they offer. (I also personally tend to undervalue airports because I prefer flying lots of different places instead of the same few other than airports I know well IRL.)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Installing and hoping it fixes the Lightning Everywhere bullshit (even though it doesn't mention fixing it directly.)

That and the crashing was why I put this down two patches ago. Hoping maybe I can enjoy this again, though! Honeycomb stuff is coming soon!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Trip report: I do not think there is thunder and lightning everywhere. I haven't tested autopilot to see if its hosed still, but this bodes well for me wanting to fly again!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

tater_salad posted:

wait finally no clear skies lighting.

Not for me in a few different trial location/weather settings!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I think the new patch is OK? I didn't experience a lot of the autopilot woes of the last couple patches (as I quit around Patch 4 because it was getting so arduous to deal with the bugs), and I have not really ever been using VNAV in anything but the Airbus, which I play with modded. FLC was a tiny bit wonky on my climbout in a King Air, but ultimately some of that might have been weather + weight and me trying to compensate. I'm cruising now and its holding steady despite a hell of a crosswind from the jet stream.

No weather issues related to thunder and lightning everywhere, live weather seems to be working pretty well though it still has the "works once and then you have to restart" issue.

Running Azure ATC and live downloading terrain and all that, no game crashing so far, it's been running about an hour. Performance is roughly the same, but thats just eyeballing it, not measuring average FPS.

The King Air still doesn't have a functional baro knob lol.

In any case, it seems like there's enough stability and I'm currently free of many of the bugs keeping me from playing, so I should be good to get some flying in again! :woop:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

soggybagel posted:

My big hope of getting a 3070 this morning was dashed. So we’ll still can’t play the game with decent frame rate.

Not sure if you're in the market for a specific card/brand but EVGA made a queue for the 3080, I'd bet they'd do something similar for the 3070.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Aw gently caress, by the end of my flight the weather had cleared and I started getting random lightning again. But maybe the occurrence of it is improved?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I managed an ILS approach (and even an AI ATC managed descent!) in the King Air. Rode it right down to about 500ft RA with no issue just today. Again, caveat I don’t know how often it hosed up on the previous patch.

I also have the navigraph beta AIRAC installed and while I don’t think this has a thing to do with it, it could.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Bedurndurn posted:

Don't buy any version but the basic bitch one. Any *premium* plane is DRMed and can never be fixed by the community. Windows store vs steam doesn't really matter too much.

Cannot emphasize this enough. Unless you’re attached to the included airports (imo don’t be, spend your money on third party ones) the planes aren’t worth it.

The best current “vanilla” planes are all the ones the community can team up and fix and improve heavily.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Finding out there is no spring in the little key has crushed all my dreams despite my honeycomb finally shipping today.

:woop: woo I can’t wait to try it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Using the in game ATC I’ve either had them perfectly descend me and do everything absolutely by the book to a point I can’t complain

Or they tell me to climb to 15000ft on turn for final.

Tonight they insisted on landing me downwind of a 23 knot wind which, hilariously, was almost perfectly aligned with the runway - such that it wasn’t the AI messing up a crosswind assignment.

Honesty I still enjoy the vague sense of the AI ATC as flavor, but do your own flight if they poo poo you up.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Shine posted:

No problem, that game's engine is like 25 years old so it should run just fine. :shepface:

VR performance is inversely proportional to how new the game is.

This was kind of meant as a joke but also the more I think about it the more it’s vaguely true because it seems like not-originally VR games really need a lot of attention to not suck rear end in VR performance wise.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah, Shortly after launch I flew over the VAB and other than looking like an office building it had believable dimensions.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Plus if it’s anything like Xplane it had a “squint”/zoom feature as mentioned. Excited for my Reverb, whenever it ships. Happy to be out of the Oculus ecosystem now that they want you to have a Facebook account, lol

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Shipon posted:

I don't know how well VR would work if you have a ton of buttons to press and don't have muscle memory for them without needing to look at your yoke/stick

I tend to find that if I don’t already have the muscle memory necessary to find the buttons in VR, I probably don’t remember what the buttons do by actively looking at them either, if that explanation makes sense.

There is a weird kind of transition between “hands on flight controls” and “VR hands to flip switches” but imo it’s not any weirder than switching to the mouse and flicking stuff. Generally I bound all of my major controls for high workload scenarios to my joystick, which were really only a handful of things, then left the rest for VR hands for periods when I had the luxury.

As with anything in VR, your personal experience with this could range from “I won’t even consider a flight sim without VR a real simulator” to “if someone else even thinks about VR it’ll ruin my sim experience.” :v:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I hope it gets a quality pass at some point because it adds a lot to making the world of not-vatsim feel more alive but yeah it’s basically a straight FSX lift right now with all the problems associated.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

sigher posted:

The set-up is complete:

God drat it someone please report this post for being a personal attack on me.

I have the yoke but have used it all of twice because I have the throttle preordered and it feels crappy using my old X55 throttle with the wrong hand and with the yoke, so I don’t want to fly until I have all my things. My throttle isn’t expected until Christmas week. :(

But I hope it’s as awesome as it looks and seems.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I really wish Take On: Helicopters hadn’t been such a disaster. I’d kill for a modern simcade-leaning-sim version of Simcopter.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

uvar posted:

Was that the one that had on-foot fps sections in the single player missions?

I never played more than like 30 minutes of it but absolutely probably.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Holy moly, I can't wait for VR for this now. I just got the HP Reverb G2 and compared to the Gen1 Oculus Rift it's basically as clear as a flat screen once you get it well adjusted. The very edges of the headset still have some fuzz but there's no issues with small text and things anymore. I'll need to try it out on some stress cases because the last big "if" about it would be performance, but otherwise it rocks.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

uvar posted:

The Thrustmaster T.16000M is ambidextrous - it comes with left/right-handed grips in the box and you can just pull them off and swap them. Their throttle isn't reversible though. I don't think any basic ones are?

You could always bind it inverse and turn it around :v:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah it’s absolutely not a “functional” improvement in civil sims like other games, but it still rocks really hard. (I’d argue it can help a little bit on landing because the extra spatial awareness helps me get a better sense of distance/altitude visually, but even that’s kind of marginal.)

That said it’s still the best thing ever, and if you’re like me and bleed into other sims beyond FS, VR is amazing for any cockpit sims. Driving especially, but even things like Derail valley are super fun with VR. I have trouble recommending it to general gaming friends, but it’s absolutely the best thing if you’re a frequent Cockpit Gamer.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Also chiming into the reverb g2 camp that my issue now is actually getting the fit of it just perfect because if it’s even slightly blurry it looks off. As in, it’s clear enough that it almost looks identical to my flat screen monitor, and if my eye line is even gently off in the headset I notice. In a gen1 rift it was so blurry/screendoored that I would just slap it on however.

It’s real expensive and tough to power but it’s really “there” for VR.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

sigher posted:

So what is it about Sim games that make it so hard to get decent frame rates? Would it be possible to toss enough money at a build to get the VR working smoothly and with decent visuals?

Can someone post the Austin Meyer FPS rant again for posterity?

I’m going to guess the answer is “yes, but drat” - running in VR smoothly with good visuals is probably approaching some of the more expensive consumer hardware you can get. I have a 1080Ti and I don’t expect it’ll really shine in VR, and that’s still not a bad card for most everything else today - RDR2, cyberpunk, etc. Sim games love to go crazy with visuals and it’s rendering huge areas and trying to be accurate. I think it’s mostly a matter of scale, but then also rendering a crazy detailed 3D cockpit and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

FS2020 is heavily CPU-bound. Like to the point that you pretty much cannot get more than 60fps with high graphics settings no matter how much GPU you throw at it. I suspect that rendering the world is actually relatively lightweight, but decoding all the world data in the first place is the real killer. When you fly over a photogrammetry city you are loading unique geometry and textures for every pixel and polygon in the entire scene. That, plus the sheer size of the area that has to be rendered, is what makes it run so much worse than other modern pretty games like CoD or whatever, where you can design the maps to limit what the player can see, and you can reuse assets all over the place.

It's also just poor coding. You can turn on the dev tools and look at the performance graph and there's one thread called MainThread that is always the limiter when you have a decent GPU. If they'd split out whatever that thread is doing into a couple of parallel tasks it would probably help a lot. I have 12 physical cores and eight of them are idling while MainThread is screaming away. Sigh

I can't believe this - I mean, what, do you think they just started with FSX code and built off of that entirely? That game has massive issues and is 10 years old.

Oh.

Ooooh.