Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

jammyozzy posted:

In keeping with the thread title, the latest MSFS world update broke the physics model a bit and now flaps generate twice the amount of lift as intended: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/flight-dynamics-bug-details/368499

The official solution right now is to edit each plane's flight_model.cfg and divide the lift_coef_flaps or lift_scalar value by 2. Premium aircraft can't be fixed and Asobo currently plan to fix it properly with next month's sim update.
Lol I bought the sim the day that update came out and let me tell you my approaches have been fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

I was looking everywhere for this last night. The stupid rear end Thrustmaster drivers remove the ability to calibrate, once I deleted all that poo poo suddenly this option reappeared and the x axis is fine!. For some reason MS FS captures my throttle gauge upside down. I guess thats a normal 'problem' since the game lets you invert it, but that still didn't fix it. I really expected this game and joystick to 'just work' and it's amazing how lovely the experience has been so far. Anyway I appreciate the feedback everyone, I can at least take off now! :classiclol:
This is weird because I just plugged mine in and it worked. FS even had control profiles for it that mapped all the buttons to the right stuff.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Shipon posted:

ATC seems to work much better if you plan it in world map beforehand. If you try to do it in-plane it doesn't really know wtf, real unfortunate.

Anyone else considering the CRJ when it launches on the 16th?
I am buying it the second they allow me to. I don't really enjoy the default airliners much and I'm getting a little tired of the A320.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Zero One posted:

Not sure if it's been posted before but if you want to learn the A320 and especially the FBW mod this guy does some great tutorials: https://youtube.com/user/filanjix

I went from knowing nothing about the Airbus to flying like an expert in just a few videos.
I can basically fly a real airbus now, right?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Say what you want about the cockpit, the plane works.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

PT6A posted:

So, I gather some of you have probably run into the same problem I'm having: what is a good chair to get without wheels so that, when you press rudder pedals, you don't simply gently caress off backward across the room? I'm using a dining chair at the moment, but I don't love it compared to my office chair, which would be fantastic but for the wheels.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X8X58S

These have the added benefit of not having to take off your wheels, but the small downside of 30 seconds of extra setup. I use them for racing. You won't go anywhere pressing rudder pedals.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Shipon posted:

Got around to buying the CRJ and trying the tutorial fight from Paderborn to Munich. Took about an hour to figure out how to start and set up the thing, and the ILS glideslope tried slamming me straight into the ground, but I managed to land in one piece! Also, the thrust reversers really do not like the X52 config - I had to hold down the F2 key on the keyboard to avoid turning off the thrust reversers on landing.

Hell of a lot more involved than the A320, that's for sure. Also, glad that they rolled back that horrid performance issue from the recent update. It's still not great but I'll take a solid 35 FPS at 1440p ultrawide ultra settings instead of 10 FPS.
There's a bug with the glideslope. I was watching a youtube video and the dude just turned off AP and and turned it back on and it seemed to catch the GS again. Also there's some options for setting up the throttle on the ipad. One of them is for setting a reverser axis vs button. I bought it this weekend too, and it is very nice.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Zero One posted:

I started poking around and found that it happened every time I paused the game. I think somehow the throttle is sending commands for the spoilers and flaps even though I don't have that add-on hardware. Removing the keybinds fixed the issue.
I never bothered to investigate this issue, I just don't pause. Thank you!

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

My favorite Flight Sim Community story ever remains the Spitfire in Il-2 Cliffs of Dover.

Everyone knows that the early Spitfire models had a gravity-feed carburetor that didn't work properly in negative-G maneuvers. If you nosed over for too long, the fuel flow would stop and the engine would chug and eventually die. This behavior has been modeled in most simulated Spitfires.

When Il-2 CLOD came out, within a couple of days there was a massive outcry on the developer forums. The Spitfire negative-G behavior is wrong!! The engine cuts out way too early and far too dramatically! Oh, woe! I have ten thousand hours in simulated Spitfires and now all my airquake kill ratios are going to be screwed up because nothing is right!! I can't believe the developers would be so careless and get something so simple so wrong!! Zero stars, I want a refund!!!

Then after about five days and a hundred pages of teeth-gnashing, one of the developers posted in the forum that, in the course of developing the game, they had actually hired a real survivor Spitfire and a pilot and fitted it with instruments and gone up and tested a bunch of maneuvers. The new game modeled the fuel cutout behavior more accurately than any other simulation ever. Everyone else was just guessing based on RAF pilots' anecdotes; this was the first time it had been done right. They even had photos of the specific plane and pilot as proof.

:thumbsup:
The flight sim community makes goons seem well adjusted.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I just got birthday money and despite otherwise being a functioning adult I spent $60 or whatever on the thrustmaster Airbus side stick despite owning a honeycomb alpha and an old but still fine x56 because MSFS has the flybywire Airbus and it just doesn’t feel right not using an appropriate stick for the plane, or worse, a yoke.

Sim peripherals are utter brain worms.

The stick is nice, though.
The stick is nice, but the throttle is the cool part for me.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

i am kiss u now posted:

All of the betas are actually done through steam weirdly enough (I am a beta tester 🤫).
It wouldn’t shock me if the ms store has no easy method for getting betas to people like steam does.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

For what it's worth, they eventually relented on the livery thing and let people put them up on sim sites but the plane is still a hot pile of dogshit.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

quote:

SU5 Issues

The effects of non-standard day pressure and temperature on altitude in MSFS is inaccurate for SU5 affecting the following:

Airplane altitude provided to ATC from the airplane transponder will not correlate correctly with the airplane indicated on the airplane's altimeter. VATSIM / IVAO will see MSFS airplanes at a different altitude than what the pilots see.

If temperature is different than ISA, the airplane altimeter will not indicate the correct altitude, most observable when airplane is on the ground at the airport with the proper QNH set. The altimeter should align with the airport's elevation, but it won't with SU5.

If pressure or temperature is changing with live weather, the airplane's autopilot may wander from the set altitude or "chase" altitude.

The built-in MSFS ATC will experience the same altitude issues - you may see FL390 on your altimeter, but the ATC will see you at a different altitude.
https://docs.flybywiresim.com/start/reported-issues/#su5-issues

lmao

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I may be stupid but the game is telling I have updates available for the world updates, which it says are installed, but the only option I see in the content manager downloads the whole package?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

God damnit. No, it's not. I misunderstood what all the numbers meant.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

chainchompz posted:

How approachable is ms flight sim if my only experience flying is in elite dangerous?
It’s the most approachable flight sim out there in my opinion. It has a good set of tutorials that’s will get you off the ground. Then if you want to get into more complicated stuff there’s no shortage of helpful people explaining concepts in great detail on YouTube.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

One plus of buying direct from devs is they can you release patches whenever they want. It can take a few days to get it on the ms store. This is very handy when asobo releases an update and breaks everything.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Dev/Experimental branches of the FBW a32nx have functioning vnav

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Also, is it just me or does the weather radar not work in FBW A320?
It should work for precipitation only, I believe.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

It's almost like people enjoy simulating different aspects of flight within a flight simulator!

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

There’s a cross the pond event on the 30th.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

azflyboy posted:

It actually took them somewhere over a month after sim update 5 came out to patch the airplane so it wouldn't crash MSFS (every other payware developer needed maybe half that long), so Carenado are really pretty poo poo supporting their stuff.
A huge problem is they only sell through the marketplace which takes an eternity to approve stuff. FlyTampa Las Vegas had an elevation/glideslope issues after SU5 which they fixed and released to customers a month ago. I, stupidly, bought it on sale through the marketplace and did not receive the patch until this Thursday.

Wolfy fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 18, 2021

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Are we taking bets on what SU6 will break?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

azflyboy posted:

This seems like the first sim update that hasn't fundamentally broken something that'll require a hotfix.

There's a couple of 3rd party mods that need some tweaking, but it looks like they actually tested this one properly, and nothing big slipped through the gaps.

What'll be fun is Sim Update 7, the Reno expansion, and the GOTY content all hitting at the same time, since there's some significant changes (taildragger ground handling, wake turbulence, and ground effect, and possibly supersonic flight and afterburners) coming, so there's no way those won't catastrophically break something.
Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised. FBW had to put out a hotfix, but had it ready to go, they were just waiting for the drop.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Sashimi posted:

MSFS is on sale on Steam and I'm probably going to pull the trigger, but I'm wondering if my PC is up to the task. I'm running a 1070 and i5 7600K @ 1440. Will I have a chance at running it at a decent frame rate without resorting to potato-level detail settings?
I was running on a 1080 for awhile, before the huge performance upgrades in SU5. You're going to have to fiddle with settings to find the right frame rate for not looking like poo poo tradeoffs, but the game didn't look terrible. Like, it could have looked a lot better, but it was okay. Pretty sure it's still on game pass, so my recommendation would be to try it there first.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I personally don't feel like the scenery or planes they offer in those editions are really worth the price. I would just save that $50 or spend it on higher quality 3rd party addons.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

spaceblancmange posted:

I'm checking it out on gamepass again after a year and it certainly runs a lot better. Are they ever going to add a replay mode to this? I really miss that feature.
They mentioned it’s planned in a Q&A yesterday. There’s a free mod that does a pretty good job

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

guidoanselmi posted:

I'm looking into flying gliders IRL next year. Would be nice if MS actually made some for 2020 like older MSFSs

e: guess this is a free 3rd party: https://flightsim.to/file/15090/as-33-me
They are coming next year.

quote:

A popular aircraft type, gliders, was also brought up in the stream. Whilst the development team have listed it as a Q3 2022 release, it was confirmed that a new partner, FlightSim Studio AG would be working on bringing gliders to the simulator. Work has just started, but the team has acquired talent from Aerosoft and others to help create the best gliders in the simulator.

https://fselite.net/news/microsoft-flight-simulator-live-developer-qa-nov-17th-recap/

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Flight sim thread treading dangerously close to advocating for upvotes

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Did anyone buy the Twin Otter? If so, do you like it?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Asobo confirmed today that World Update 8 is going to be Iberia, which I am incredibly loving excited for.

https://fselite.net/content/microsoft-flight-simulator-january-live-developer-qa-recap/

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Shipon posted:

Interesting, they're working on DLSS after all. I guess they feel confident enough that many of the CPU bottlenecks are lessened to the point where DLSS would actually improve performance.

I ordered the Thrustmaster Boeing yoke+throttle combo, looking forward to flying with a yoke instead of a stick. Have any of the modders gotten to making the 787 un-suck or is the encryption still too restrictive for them to do much?
https://github.com/Heavy-Division/B78XH
320 sim pilot made a vid on this so it's probably decent, but I don't have the 787 and I can't tell you much about it.

PT6A posted:

It's amazing, for the accomplishment that FS was in a lot of ways, how absolutely loving broken it was/is in really simple ways.

Like, we finally got FMS features in default airliners. But... eh, couldn't be bothered to implement direct-to in the G1000 that 90% of the default aircraft use.
I'd use the phrase "fms features in default airliners" really loosely here. FBW had to implement direct to on the A32NX themselves, and the default FMS would skip all sorts of waypoints, making it pretty much useless once you got near your destination. I don't really know how much of the original code is left, but at this point it feels like they have rewritten everything and added quite a bit of their own functionality. It's quite funny how bad some of the default stuff is, I suppose it has always been this way with MSFS.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

the milk machine posted:

is there a good an-2 for msfs?
No, but yes. One was supposed to be released as the first in the famous flyers series last week, but the developer ran into licensing issues with Antonov. Apparently the aircraft is ready to go, it's all licensing at this point, but it's anyone's guess as to when that situation can be resolved given...everything.

This is what we last saw of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1PYZ2n1RGw

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

A partial release of VNAV was added to the experimental branch of the FBW A32NX earlier today.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

The cruise is when you get your shitposts in.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Mostly what airports provide are reasonable looking ground and building textures/models. Good quality scenery will also model some of the surrounding city, like FlyTampa Vegas. If you want a good comparison, the free EGKK on Flightsim.to stands up to just about any payware airport.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MxhQ1aRqi8&t=15039s

PMDG 737 coming along nicely.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Shipon posted:

This is probably an issue with a hand-crafted airport bought third-party. Apparently it does a piss-poor job of making sure the ground mesh matches up between the custom and auto-genned terrain and if you don't load in the hand-crafted data quickly enough you can have a sudden ledge on the runway you just crash right into.
It was 100% an aircraft issue, something weird was going on when landing with flaps at 40. They sent a new build out to the streamer who has the easiest time recreating this issue, and he did a bunch of landings without any issues so it looks like it might be fixed already.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Supposedly there will be an update in the summer with an EFB and hopefully better simbrief integration. I've heard conflicting reports about whether I should hold my breath or not on that promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

There’s an MD11 from TFDI that’s decently along but also not really close. I’m sure we will eventually see the PMDG 777 but who knows how long that will take.

Honestly feels like our only hope of seeing something soon is that the fbw a380 is way further along than we think