Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I'm guessing "everyone" is meant to be "everyone who is super serious about sims and vr has chosen this particular headset".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

flight levels is for sissies.

I spent a good 15 minutes trying to find some sort of FAA regulation against using offensive language but aside from ATC being required to report it I found nothing. :/

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Wait, what? How does it calculate "didn't load the passengers"? Is it just a case you accepting the job but then not manually clicking "board passengers" in a pointless extra step?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Charles posted:

And they own Bethesda...whose games are entirely fixed by fan patches. All they need to do now is buy Nexus mods and they will have the complete ecosystem!!!

I won't be satisfied until they put tits on my TBM.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Man I don't even have a working PC right now and I only play MSFS but I still have to hide my wallet after seeing that Honeycomb setup. That's probably $1500AU all up but I want it.

Cat Wings posted:

I'm planning on getting MSFS soon, but I don't have a HOTAS. Is it playable with mouse and keyboard, or maybe a controller, or am I hosed?

I play it with a DS4 and it's great. You will absolutely need to adjust the sensitivity and the rudder control is dodgy, but with some clever remapping and Key1+Key2 modifiers you only have to touch the keyboard/mouse when you're doing autopilot-ey stuff. It's super chill on the little prop plane bush trips just kicking back and checking out the scenery.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Despite 2020 doing it's best to screw me I'm back up and running on a (mostly) new PC. Has the computer stopped wanting to kill you or is everything still kinda janky?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Wow. Inlaws managed to find me a t16000 stick/throttle combo. Now I just need to download a... 30GB update. I'm sure this update contains lots of important things. Then just a few hours of settings and bindings and I'm on my way!

Edit: Oh god I forgot how to fly. Oh god what do all the autopilot buttons do. Oh god all the controls are horrible and hidden. Oh god why did the destination I randomly picked have to be an unlit field with no visible runway and a dodge-the-mountain approach. Oh god I'm blind and this is definitely not an airport and I think I hit a cow.

This is like the nightmare where you're taking a test after having no idea on the subject except I'm at 7200 feet and my passengers are screaming.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 27, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I have barely, but successfully, landed using a hotas. I'm basically a pilot now, right?

In case anyone is wondering the t16000 throttle is sticky as hell. Something something rip your hardware apart and insert grease something. I've got twist mapped to rudder as default but it's got the same binary on-or-off problem as the ds4 controller I was using previously, so I assume stuff is just broken. The single best part is the wheel on the throttle for trim, but you have to bend the poo poo out of the curve because the default will nosedive/stall if you breathe on it.

Still many hours and a bunch of config changes before I feel comfortable with OnAir or whatever the new hot equivalent is.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

With the hotas setup I've been trying to land in the cockpit and touching down is breaking my brain. In third person it's easy to get where the ground is relative to the plane, when to flare, when it's safe to break, etc. It makes me feel like a kid trying to drive a car who can just barely look over the dash.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I got weirdly lucky in November/December. Got a 3080 by finding a place that actually had a queue and regularly updated, then picked the least popular (slightly more expensive) EVGA model. Took four days. The 5600X took about seven days. Running bots and joining discords and engaging in secret rituals just to buy what should be commodity hardware is lame as hell. It's easily the most expensive computer I've ever put together but not having a gaming machine for two and a half months during a pandemic kind of warranted the purchase and I'd probably still be in line for a less expensive video card.

Now I crash land at a much better framerate.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

That straight autopilot course followed by wobbling all over is basically my flying style.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

soggybagel posted:

Its a dark cruel world where I'm entering a raffle so I can be price gouged.

Given it's made things like the higher end 3080s and 3090s sell way more than they would have otherwise, I hope you like the new permanent shortage model of PC hardware.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This is questionable. Do we have sale numbers? Who's to say they don't sell even more cards when there isn't a shortage holding them back?

Oh I'd imagine Nvidia would love to flood the market in cards. AMD has its own issues but they'd love the same. Here in AU it's largely on the retail end - 3060s, 3090s, even 3080s for people who would normally just go for a 3070. All marked way the hell up because it's still cheaper than getting a card from a scalper. It'll eventually go back to normal when the world stops being a shitstorm but the frenzy has led a lot of people to open their wallets way more than they usually would.

I guess here at least it's still a matter of being in a queue or randomly being fast. The lottery thing is hilarious.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Flying through hilly areas in the northwest taught me that ATC really wants me to descend and "I'm scraping trees here, you rear end" is not in the list of responses.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Given IFR flight and learning all the wacky rules for proper flying was like 99% of the draw for me it kind of sucks to keep checking this thread and seeing that stuff be continuously more broken.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

For such a chill game the community around it sure does seem full of assholes.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Deadstick sounds like bush tours plus landing challenges only probably less time-consuming and also you're smuggling drugs. I'd probably play an obscene amount of bush flights if they game-ified it in a OnAir sort of way. I don't see them ever adding that since the community will do it for free but it's nice to have some sort of persistence and goals.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I got a t16000 stick+throttle combo, but the throttle is poo poo (unless you do a lot of aftermarket work on it, apparently) so after two flights I shelved it. Really hope the Turtle Beach set comes out in August and it's decent, since I've now forgotten all the not-enforced-by-the-game-but-I-do-FAA-rules-voluntarily restrictions. It's not bad with a controller but there's a lot missing. Not the least of which being analog rudder.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

skooma512 posted:

What kind of aftermarket work?
I put some silicone grease on the rails and tweaked the tension screw until moved the way I liked it.

Pretty much that, plus finding the right grease that isn't also $50 shipping from the US. I mean I knew going in that it'd be needed, it's just :effort: I've never gotten around to.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Can you remap on xbox? I remember the controller being pretty awful by default, but once you remap (and macro) a few things it got a lot better on PC. Also setting curves, assuming that also exists on xbox.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Has anybody here actually tried FS2020 on Linux through Steam's stuff? I wonder how well it generally works. I am likely doing a lot more Linux stuff at work with an aspiration of taking that elsewhere so I'm trying to see if I can get most of my home stuff in place to work on Linux too.

Proton has a compatibility listing for it. Keep in mind stuff breaks and unbreaks constantly with these releases, so gaming on Linux tends to be more a game of having the right version at the right time. It hasn't fundamentally changed (it's still Wine plus hacks) but the hacks keep getting better. It's a big rabbit hole to go down but if you're doing it for the sake of a fun project, there ya go.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Step 1: Realize there's a short limit for wing length in the plane editor.
Step 2: Notice there's an insane limit for wing width. Max it, of course.
Step 3: Engage in The Flying Skateboard Challenge

Bentai posted:

Goddamn I love MSFS.
Flew from Davis, California up to Weed. :420:
Tomorrow I'm taking a scenic tour of all the big rear end mountains on the way to Seattle.

I took a quick flight from Redding up to Yreka, which hit me right in the nostalgia. I wanted to end it there so I found the nearest runway, which is for some weird rear end private dirt strip up a steep hill with what looked to be just a garage nearby. Pretty sure I discovered a smuggling operation.

Thankfully they haven't accurately modeled current Mt Shasta, which would make me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

So where's the plane for us non-midgets, eh? Where's my flying equivalent of a luxury SUV?