Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I know it's different for every plane, but when approximately should one be switching fuel tanks between right and left?

Say a plane has 30 gallons in each tank, should we consider switching around 25, 20, 15?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

cmpterjones posted:

Often this is called-out in the POH for a particular aircraft if it doesn't feed from left and right simultaneously. I was taught to do it every 15 mins of flight, and switch to the fullest tank on approach.

EDIT: 15 mins is a rule-of-thumb kind of thing. Consider your fuel burn and weight and balance, if you're rolling left and feeding left, you probably want to check balance between tanks.

I see, so for a general "video game rule of thumb" probably switching every 5-10 gallons should be ok. Thanks.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

We have mostly fixed the Cessna 172. It now has been more or less restored to the state it was in at the launch of the game, except now its GPS doesn't show you where you are, it shows you where you could be.

We may have fixed the Cessna 172's GPS.* See notes.

Notes: The Cessna knows where it is at all times. It knows this because it knows where it isn't. By subtracting where it is from where it isn't, or where it isn't from where it is (whichever is greater), it obtains a difference, or deviation. The guidance subsystem uses deviations to generate corrective commands to drive the Cessna from a position where it is to a position where it isn't, and arriving at a position where it wasn't, it now is. Consequently, the position where it is, is now the position that it wasn't, and it follows that the position that it was, is now the position that it isn't.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 5, 2020

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Can someone explain how to get what I assume is True Air Speed using this gauge? I'm pretty sure you need to twist the knob as you gain in altitude, but I can't really see what should be where. In this picture I'm at 10,000 feet. What would my TAS be?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Almost, but you need to know your pressure altitude, not your indicated altitude.

Find your pressure altitude by setting 29.92 on the altimeter and reading the value that comes up. Get your outside air temperature from the wing root thermometer at the upper corner of the windshield (or wherever it is). Set those two values opposite each other at the top of the gauge, then read your TAS from the position of the needle against the white sector at the lower left of the gauge. Don't forget to set your altimeter back to its proper value afterwards.

Right now it is set for a standard day at sea level, with 15C opposite 0 feet, which is why your IAS and TAS are indicated equal.

Perfect, thanks for the explanation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

Carenado released a Seneca V for FS2020. I haven't flown it a lot, but if you like the Seneca is general, it seems quite nice. GPS is still afflicted as with every plane, but the other instrumentation is quite nice especially if you want something that's well-equipped but not full-glass. It's a bit expensive for an addon, like most of their stuff, but so far I really like it.

I like the Seminole quite a bit and it's become my go-to for quick flights. The Seneca is very similar, except it's slightly upgraded in pretty much every way: A little faster, a little more powerful, flies a little higher and also has a little more capability in terms of instrumentation and de-icing.

I can second the Seneca and if you are interested in both the Seminole and the Seneca, you could probably just get the Seneca and be happy with it. The Seminole is nice too however, just with slightly fewer features. I'm definitely a fan of the twin-engines that Carenado has been releasing.