Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Got Microsoft Flight Sim and been having fun checking out places I know, might even try to visit some completely new places in the future. General trip report:

PS4 controller seems to work but I am not entirely sure if the slow roll to the side is due to the wonky stick (having some deadzone issues, which is why I mostly use a third party switch controller which the game sadly does not recognise) or because of plane stuff. Might have to look into setting like trim and rudder and stuffs

Seeing another plane in the air on my flightpath, taking a small detour to say hi. Rapidly realising that it was probably one of those livetracked flights happening irl and also that I somehow cannot crash into a plane going straight. Gotta practice my skills for when I actually see another player.

Decided to try a "fly from europe to america!" flight, realised I had to take a quick detour to... greenland? for refueling. Got bored halfway through, tried to crash into the ocean and on my descend realised like a billion blinking red lights. Turns out I descended right above a giant collection of off-shore wind turbines and in the darkness it looked freaky as hell for a moment, seeing nothing but red lights for miles.

Wanted to fly to austria because I like mountains. Chose a time where apparently it was foggy and cloudy as heck, to the point where I had to use instrumentation as cloud cover was at the same height as the mountains when flying towards Innsbruck. Was pretty scary because I could not see anything for a while, while my screen in the cockpit showed me there are mountains underneath me. At least once I reached the valley the city was in, I was able to get below the clouds to see where I was flying and had to land. And I am sure the citizens enjoyed a plane repeatedly circling above them as it tried to figure out a decent landing angle. Oh yeah, also learned when descending a bit fast from high to low altitude through clouds, that your windows will get frozen and the anti-freeze buttons help against it, that was pretty cool.

Overall, this has been hitting a weird part of my brain that enjoys acting like I am totally real plane pilot. Though I assume not all pilots spend half the flight watching a vtuber stream on the side and repeatedly readjusting their flight path because they forgot to fight against the roll for a bit. Also, messing with the cockpit stuff is fun and I got a 50% success rate on turning on the autopilot on planes by now! Only thing I need to figure out is how to end a flight, so far it has felt kinda random when it would count me as having finished when I turn the engine and electrics off versus the game keeping going. Maybe I have to actually find the proper spot to park on airports, so far I have just been driving to where other planes sit and sorta try to fit in with them.

Also, halfway tempted to try to play this game in a way where I only allow myself to start from airports I have been to, both to have some sort of personal progression and also to give an excuse to go on a world tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Bedurndurn posted:

Roll could be either from a bad joystick config, the plane itself doing plane things or both.

There's no plane to plane collision. They thankfully realized that assholes were too abundant (and that the ATC can't really manage traffic).

If you tell us what plane you're flying, we can tell you how to work the AP in it.

Flights will only end and return you to the menu if you're parked where the game wants you to park (easiest is to ask for taxi to parking/gate), you turn off the engine and the electrics. You can randomly bump into a game-approved parking spot (the taxi assistance trails will show it as a green box once you're already on top of it), but even perfectly valid IRL parking spots might not trigger the end menu if that's not where the game wants you to park right now. Don't feel bad, quitting back to the menu and getting sent there from parking function the same. The game logs your landing, but nothing about parking so it's identical stat-wise.

Right, I haven't seen the taxi assistance stuff at all yet. Is it part of one of the screens you can activate on the more modern planes or something that should be visible in general? And yeah, I had a couple moments where I "landed" very rapidly in the middle of nowhere after turning some of the damage stuff to easy mode, and turning everything off mostly as a joke after landing upside down in someone's backyard counted as a valid parking spot :v:

As for no collision, that is probably for the best since otherwise it would be easy to grief. Could still be fun to spook someone by diving from above right in front of them or something. And for the plane, gonna have to see since I have been trying them all out a bit. So far I have been enjoying the turboprops, mostly since they actually get somewhere decently fast and can still be a bit agile/allow me to do some real dumb manouvering.