Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
I swear ATC was better in FSX. Altitude changes and vectors made total sense and I could just follow ATC instructions on descent and be lined up for final and never had issues flying into terrain. Am I misremembering or did I maybe have a forgotten mod? I am just always surprised this appears to have broken from FSX to FS2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Mrenda posted:

Has the final thoughts been reached on some of the economy mods/plug ins for flight sims? Last I checked there were a couple that were looking to replace FSE with fancier bells and whistles, but I think it was all early stages of the new FS release. Ideally it'd be something that works in XPlane as well, because neither my PC or internet connection is up to MSFS.

I think NeoFly is the best overall factoring in price but I'm pretty sure it only works with MSFS2020. It's a bit quirky but it's free and the developer (who I think is just one guy) keeps adding features and improving it. There are a few unnecessary bonus features you can get for like a $20 donation.

If you're stuck with XPlane then I think OnAir is your best bet. It seems pretty well regarded but the big downside is the subscription model. I think something like $30/year if you sign up for 2 years from the start.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
Seconding NeoFly. It's pretty amazing what the developer has put together for free and last I checked, new stuff is still being rolled out. I'd at least start with that and see if it scratches the itch before going for something else.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

explosivo posted:

I know we all got into OnAir for like a month after this came out but I just heard about NeoFly and this looks like a pretty decent free alternative, anyone give this a try?

NeoFly is great (although I haven't used it in a few months). Developer is engaged and keeps adding content. It definitely scratches the itch of sending you to places you wouldn't go otherwise. Progression is decent and you can adjust how much you use the AI pilots to change the pace of progression (there may even be a setting,I've never looked but the default has been fine for me). Has a variety of missions point to point, search and rescue, bush landings, and probably some others added more recently. Oh, and FREE.

Really it's like the best of what the addon modding community can be. Free, quality content. This reminds me I should probably go donate like :10bux:.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I don't remember what settings I had many months ago when I last played, but I used to get 30-40 fps above where I live and now I'm getting around 60fps. Though it says GPU is 0.0ms to build the frame which doesn't make sense, and it says main thread limited, I'll have to tweak some more later.

I have this same issue with the GPU on a 1060. However task manager shows the percentage usage. I checked in with FS2020 discord and they said it's a big but wasn't clear to me how many others are experiencing this. If you want to figure out what's limiting you, they suggested just looking at the individual threads on the task manager by sorting by logic cores and if any are 100%, you're CPU limited or if the GPU is at 100%, you're GPU limited.
Either way, doesn't seem to be impacting performance, but would be curious if you find otherwise.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
I must have been the only one who had this game in the 90s since I've never seen anyone else talk about it, but I can still do the whole theme song in my head. Heroes of the 357th: https://youtu.be/Z9hbyRWB7kI

I probably played with the keyboard most of the time and didn't really know what was going on other than "shoot planes" but I loved that game! I remember the feeling when I finally shot down a V1. The best.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
NeoFly seems like the obvious thing to try. It's the go to recommendation for career mode/get me to some new airports gameplay. It has multiplayer but I haven't seen anyone here discuss how well it works. And it's free so no reason not to give it a shot.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Scruff McGruff posted:

I haven't tried any of the alternatives before so I don't know if this is unique to NeoFly but I really enjoy some of the little stuff they add. Like if you're doing a sensitive cargo delivery and land too hard you get to hear all the glass beakers you've got in back shatter before the ops manager radios you to tell you you're a failure that's definitely not getting paid.

I've just started messing with some of the alternative mission types like the wild fire missions and have been really enjoying them. I had been using NeoFly to generate flights for a cross country tour, which has been great, but using the alternative missions to get out of the point to point routine has been incredibly refreshing. The fires are cool because you have to really engage with the terrain around you, getting angles to attack the fire and looking for suitable locations/angles to refill on water. It just gives you a reason to fly the plane by hand fairly aggressively, which is fun.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
The crazy part to me is that the FSX ATC was like, significantly better. It wasn't very complex but it at least accomplished what it tried to do. You could follow ATC directions completely on an IFR flight and end up right where you needed to be, and it sort of managed a moderate AI load. For some reason FS2020 is a big step backwards.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
Default ATC and AI traffic functionality were also better in FSX. FSX ATC could properly vector me throughout an IFR flight and keep AI planes reasonably spaced on arrival, which FS2020 cannot.

FS2020 AI planes seem to float, teleport, or "land" 30 feet above the runway, drop out of the sky, or do any number of weird things. The AI aircraft UI is insanely obtrusive for the very little information it shares (altitude and maybe destination? Or is it origin? Either way only one of those) and seems to appear for planes ridiculously far away. It begs to be turned off, rendering useless the very cool feature of real world live aircraft. FSX's cycling red text wouldn't win a UI award but it was unobtrusive and showed me what I wanted to know.

FS2020 is still far and away the better option, but it does feel like some big things are missing.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
Speaking of AI traffic, is there a mod that improves the AI "indicator"/text overlay for lack of a better term?

This giant box that shows up from huge distances away and displays almost no information is obnoxious. FSX had a totally serviceable solution with comparatively subtle red text that told me everything I needed. With the current version I can't figure out distance, direction, etc. I'm honestly not even sure if the airport displayed is the origin or destination.

I keep it turned off these days but it was always fun to plane spot, even if I could barely see the actual plane, as I cruised along.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Hekk posted:

Speaking of flying rubber dog poo poo out of Hong Kong, does anyone have any experience with Air Hauler 2? I've watched a few youtube videos of people using it and it looks interesting enough. I like sandboxes but having a reason to fly a bunch of short hop flights might help keep up the motivation to continue flying regularly.

I think NeoFly is the recommendation at this point to get your "progression" fix. It's free, has a bunch of features, and I think is still being regularly updated. Air Hauler I think still has the weird attachment to a real world calendar, so if you end up busy IRL and can't fly for a few weeks/months you've still paid fees on everything in sim world. That and the developer's hardline stance against an ability to turn it off made NeoFly the obvious choice.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

MrYenko posted:

That said, I’d imagine that the lions share of work to be done to update existing addons to work with the new sim will be borne by the third party studios, which is going to be the real drama. If memory serves, PMDG for example has never supported an add-on through a sim change for free, despite some of those titles being pretty trivially different on the backend.

I think quite a few developers are going to get an ugly introduction to what their customers expect from them in the modern world.

Yeah agree this seems to be where the real problem will lie, MS/Asobo can promise "compatibility" all day long, but more importantly, it seems like you'd need every third party developer to get on board with the idea that buying a product for MSFS2020 gets you the same product for MSFS2024. That hasn't historically been the case and I don't see a mechanism by which MS/Asobo can have any control over that.

Other than that my gut reaction here is that MSFS2020 still has some pretty big features missing. Despite the 3 years of updates to this point, things like ATC and AI traffic are somehow worse than FSX. Comparisons to how long FSX was updated don't feel appropriate here either because MSFS2020 was pretty clearly released in an intentionally feature-incomplete state. That's just the way games releases tend to go these days, and I think the community tolerates it as long as progress is being made, but (for me as a very casual player) it just feels very premature to move onto the next thing when there's clearly more work to be done, and no matter how much they promise continued updates and compatibility, pretty much everyone's past experience would suggest there's going to be problems here.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
Any idea as to why I'm seeing snowcover and frozen ocean bays in coastal British Columbia and Alaska when using live weather? Real world temps are in the 70s. If I switch off live weather, snow disappears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
Any more trip reports from Brew Barons? Thinking of picking it up this weekend. Worth getting now? Not worth it til more features are built out? How's the flying?