Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

My King Air is a little odd since the patch. It quickly goes into overspeed territory, almost like a Cessna citation speed-wise.

Additionally the wind shield wipers don't work anymore. You can still turn the knob but they won't move. They did start moving after I crashed the plane into a building, like in a dash cam video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I've been bush flying in the jungles of Papua New Guinea this evening. It's really beautiful and there are tons of interesting bush airstrips.

All of the airstrips I've tried so far can be landed on with a Cessna 208 Grand Caravan (unladen). But they may require coming in at 55 knots with full flaps while forward slipping over a bunch of trees. At least one of them has bugged terrain which makes it extra spicy, some have alternative landing spots nearby (roads, dry river beds). There are clusters where air strips are just a few miles apart.

Would anyone be interested in a bush rally? We could start at the aptly named WANX or WANK (better name, further away) air strips. Below are some notes I took during flight if that helps anyone.

quote:

Airplane: Cessna 208 Grand Caravan

General notes:
* Many of the runways are only approachable from one direction due to terrain features
* Many of the runways are sloped, in one case with a downward slope -- keep that in mind
* When departing from an airstrip, make a habit of pushing back as far as you can to use every foot of ground
* Flaps and the stall horn are your friend

=== TRIP 1: Flying west from WAVC ===
We are flying this route East to West in a Cessna 208 Grand Caravan.

WAVC
Short but sufficiently long paved runway. If in Cessna 208, mind trees at the end of the runway. Consider using flaps on take-off.

WAVG
When approached from North, you'll find a long paved runway with an upwards slope.

WANY
Mountaintop dirtstrip at 5200ft, upward slope when approaching from North. Come in slow and close.

WANZ
Mountaintop grass strip with upwards slope. Come in slow from the East. Beyond the western end of the runway there is a cliff that you can use to come to a stop if all else fails.

WAVA
Difficult approach. Approach only possible from South due to cliff at Northern edge. Runway descends. If not possible to touch down on numbers, apply full power and go around. Most if not all of runway needed to slow down, expect to use upward sloping terrain beyond runway proper to come to a stop.

Departure from airport looks dangerous but isn't. Apply full power and perhaps flaps. You may drop off the edge of the runway but that should not be a problem.

WABS (Sinak)
Short runway. Approach from east. Runway is slightly sloped, coming in from east gives gravity assist.

WAYL (Illaga)
Approach from east. Runway is slightly sloped, coming in from east gives gravity assist. Adventurous bush pilots can see a small road to the East of the airfield that might fit a STOL bush plane.

WADP (Beoga Bush)
Bush airstrip. Approach possible from East. Approach barely above stall. Dangerous bump just before the strip. Brace for hard landing.

WABA (Beoga proper)
Concrete runway. You have to approach the runway through the canyon in the East, preferrably from the northern direction. Runway will slope upwards, so gravity will assist.

WADJ (Beoga Bush)
Unpaved bush runway at the top of a mountain, at approx. 6400ft. Gravity assist possible if approaching from East.

WABJ (Hitadipa Bush)
Beautiful bush runway next to a river. Difficult landing. Best approach is from the east, closely following the river, at barely above treetop level, at barely above stall speed (say, 55 knots). Runway is seperated from the riverbank by just a few trees, so come in over these trees, using forward slip to manage speed. Watch out for the houses of either side of the runway. Upward slope of runway will help to get rid of speed. Before departing, make sure to push back as far as you can, you'll need the room. Leave the runway to the east, following the canyon to pick up speed and altitude.

In a pinch, the dry riverbed may serve as an alternative landing site.

WAYB (Sugapa)
Paved mountaintop runway at 7000ft. Approach from East. Runway will slope upward, giving gravity assist.

This is the end of this trip. There are still some interested bush runways to the West of here, but they're far off so we stop.

Bonus: WANK
It's a bit far off the route so I couldn't check it out yet. But using VOR, it's approximately on radial 330 from the TMK beacon, at the foot of the mountain range.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hrmph, opening the VFR map with "V" crashes my game. Reinstalling doesn't help.

From the patch notes:

quote:

KNOWN ISSUES
Game may crash if the VFR Map is not opened right after starting the flight

lmao

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Oh poo poo, that would explain why I wasn't finding VOR stations. I wanted to fly over a specific position and figured I could triangulate between two stations. I guess I have to set a custom waypoint in the world map and paste in the coordinates.

Are you having trouble finding VOR stations over Europe? There should be sufficient coverage, at least where people live. Nothing showing up on Skyvector? Try out the Garmin G1000 nearest VOR menu?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

What irks me is that since one or two patches ago I'm getting several crashed to desktop per evening. Together with the long load times and the work that you put into having a nice trip it's really frustrating. Reinstalling the game doesn't help.

The fact that avionics shut off randomly and the autopilot can't keep the nose level is just icing

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Is it possible that the nav aid frequencies outside of the US aren't always accurate in msfs 2020? I've had it so often now that I can't dial in one with the frequency that Skyvector shows. But then I look it up app.uber.space and the frequency will just be slightly different and it seems to immediately work. What's going on there, am I looking at Skyvector cross eyed or does europe forbid the real frequencies to be used in video games or what?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

God loving DAMMIT there is an entire chapter in the FAR just about special regulations in and around Grand Canyon National Park!!

I'm not gonna tell you what I did there but I was a naughty boy

Sagebrush posted:

Two possibilities:

1) Europe requires radios with 8.33KHz spacing, while the USA still uses 25KHz spacing. In the USA you can have 122.275 and 122.300 but nothing in between, and many radios don't even have the last digit (displaying them as 122.27 and 122.30). In Europe you will have 122.275, 122.280, 122.285, 122.290, and 122.300. It's possible that something is going wrong in the translation between US and European standards.

2) They just got the frequencies wrong. This seems more plausible because, as you can see, the 25KHz spacings coexist with the 8.33KHz spacings.

Random fun fact: the VHF radio frequency spectrum has been constantly divided down from the earliest days of aviation radio. It ranges from 118 to 137MHz and started out with 200KHz spacings (118.0, 118.2, 118.4...) then went to 100KHz in the 1940s to get more available channels. In the mid-50s they split again to 50KHz channels (118.15, 118.20) and then in 1972 split to 25KHz as we have today. Now Europe has split the 25KHz channels again into 4 parts and the USA is slowly moving that direction.

The only artifact of the old spacing is GUARD, which keeps 100KHz; there is nothing between 121.4 and 121.6 except for 121.5.

Thanks for the detailed insight. It can't be the frequency spacing I think; if you scroll through the Garmin menus, it lists the spacing as 8.3khz.

So I guess they really got the frequencies wrong. It's probably very banal and trivial but I can't help to wonder how that happened since I thought getting the frequencies in game was just a matter of scraping some public or licensed database. If i put on my detective cap, I could probably figure out some of the game's most uninteresting making-of/development trivia by finding the origin of these these errors. (I bet it's something lame like a problem with importing csv files from some vendor)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sapozhnik posted:

NEW FEATURES:
- Added train traffic to surface vehicles implementation
- Added special animation when lightning strikes a train

KNOWN ISSUES:
- Game crashes when lightning strikes a train
- Trains occasionally spawn on taxiways
- Too many visible trains may crash the game. Workaround: Play in ~10 mile IMC in order to constrain draw distance. A fix is targeted for the January 2021 feature release.
- Surface traffic configuration option is inoperable

Do these changes also affect the monorail or do I have to wait for the underground update for that?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think it's that you fly into a wall. Turn off damage and see what happens. When I've tried to fly under the Eiffel Tower as well as a bridge somewhere else, I flew under, was slammed into the ground, and then bounced up and kept flying. I think there is something wonky with their wind model that causes the wind to shove your plane into the ground when you fly under something.

To me it looks like a wall. Take a cub and taxi up to a bridge, it really looks like you're slamming into something.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

I'm sitting here replying to emails while MSFS is running in the background with a Baron on autopilot between KLAS and KCPM for the last 40 minutes. When it gets there I will tab back in and land.

God help me, I've become One Of Them.

(I am really liking the Baron, incidentally, and I wish they had a steam-gauge version)

Hope you're not speeding up the simulation rate like a casual

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Man I wish we could have proper missions and custom scenario. I'd love to do adventure trips like doing cocaine runs during the 80s, or bringing supplies to remote bases in the wilderness including Antarctica. I'm considering to get the Mooney to have a fast plane with vintage instruments just for that purpose.

I've tried to make a few trips like that myself. You can make a beautiful trip from Lago Garda in Italy all the way up to Innsbruck, Austria, by following rivers and mountain passes over the Alps.

Getting all the remote air strips in the Indonesian bush is fun.

Hopping through the Caribbean is fun, all the way from Trinidad and Tobago to Puerto Rico, making sure to not skip highlights such as St. Barthelemy.

From Scotland to Faroe and Iceland.

I want more cool trips, preferably some that come with some flavor attached. Let me find and save some dudes stranded on a glacier or something.

You could do sooooo much with this game.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

slidebite posted:

I don't do a ton of night flying but I did some last night around my home area.

All the highways in my area, from 4-6 lane majors and 2 lane secondaries look like they have streetlights along their entirety. Even in the middle of nowhere.

Belgium has lit highways, and I think parts of France too? Maybe Asobo are judt flexing about their decent roads by acting as though everyone had them.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

uXs posted:

A lot of the lights in Belgium aren't turned on anymore, only when there's bad weather.

Truly, dark times

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

(wishes this was a bethesda game so a modder could take care of this)

(Realizes what for a terrible idea that would be)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

soggybagel posted:

This is still the funniest thing to me. Some weirdos wanted accurate herding behavior of cows.

Please give link I must witness and despair

Tried googling for it but couldn't find it

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Thanks for sharing your sim anecdotes. When browsing sim forums, I sometimes think I'm taking crazy pills considering the takes that your getting. I think the worst forums I've ever been to were actually the War Thunder forums, where you get the holy trinity of hard = realistic, obsession about source lawyering whether a plane had a 16 or 18 s circle time, and unapologetic Nazi glorification. People were melting down over the fact that when a bullet struck your engine, the game would roll a dice to determine whether your engine was damaged, instead of accurately modeling the bullet trajectory through the engine cover and various components. No, nevermind, I think actually the worst people were the ones throwing WW2 pilot accounts at each other to argue plane specs behind the comma.

Regarding realism = hard, I think the first thing that went through my head when touching the controls of a sail plane was "Oh, it's so pleasant and nice, it practically flies itself". Gamers have a weird obsession with making things harder than they are, and if you correct that, they feel invalidated in their monster skills.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 6, 2020

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

Oh yeah this is a real big one. One of the things that CLOD was supposed to implement -- don't know if they actually did, but it would help explain the lovely performance -- was a complete physically simulated engine model. All 16 pistons running on their conrods, valves opening and closing, fuel going in and exhaust coming out, air going into the supercharger, yada yada. The idea being that if you were shot in the engine, yes, the bullet would damage specific components and create ~~realistic~~ engine failures, like power loss because a cylinder was punched open or oil pressure dropping because a line was cut, as opposed to just rolling a die and failing some subsystems which is IMMERSION BREAKING and I CAN TOTALLY TELL.

agh get hosed

lmao all these fuckers must now be debating on the Star Citizen forums

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

i mean would it count as lying when you install a password cracker into your paying customers' computers and then, when discovered, first claim it doesn't exist, then claim it "only activates when it detects a pirated version," despite third-party hackers determining that it cracks all your passwords and emails them to the developers immediately regardless of the situation?

if a sim developer had done something like that, i mean.

It astounds me that there was no legal action as a result of that. I mean that's almost cyber terrorism.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

That's diy tho, right ? With an actual ignition switch in there?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Best VR game for me stays Warm Thunder, at least when I last played it. Ran smooth like silk on a gtx970.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Shine posted:

Yeah, War Thunder runs very well in VR, though I've not tried it since the Biggest Update Ever thingy they pushed out. Biggest issue is the UI, which has scaling issues in VR that you have to fix by messing with the non-VR window resolution.

I wish you could put bots in both tanks and planes in private games. I'd love to do some combined arms PvE with my friends.

Same, that's why I used to play almost exclusively Enduring Confrontation. Usually there were plenty of AI ground targets, and often the game would also spawn AI air targets. I don't like competitive sim flying, it's 90 minuts of waiting and 2 seconds of fighting before being shot down from someone who circled in the sun at 26,000ft and sniped you from three kilometers away.

Anyhow, I've for the first time flown a complete flight with the a320neo in MSFS2020. I watched a tutorial before on YouTube and took about 7 A5 pages of note on how to configure the plane for the various phases, plus spent a good tme creating my own flight briefing at simbrief.com. Having the plane do an entire trip at the push of a button was really satisying, purely as a learning experience. Not so fun is trying to negotiate with the ATC, who tells me to climb to 12,000ft when I'm 5 miles from the runway with my gear out. Oh well. Small victories.

Best thing: you can actually have little simulation people load baggage and catering in your plane, and watch the trolleys and truck disappear into the cargo hold. That's super dorky and cute.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Strongly considering to buy the Mooney from the shop. It's got classic VOR navigation equipment, seats a group, and is fast. That must make for cool trips.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is that the DEMON? How is that possible? :|

I like what they're going for but lmao this voice acting is so loving bad. It really does feel like a cheap imitation.

Actually I could use a campaign that's super cheesy but oozes enthusiasm and fun. Might motivate me to get back into DCS and re-learn the F18.

(I just remembered that my Throttle died and how horrible it is to set up dozens of control binding in a sim so I'm in fact probably not playing that campaign)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

MrYenko posted:

Got my G2 yesterday. Running it with a 1080, DCS is absolutely loving stunning in VR. I mean, it’s a jittery, unplayable puke-fest while you’re sitting still on the deck, but the slideshow is absolutely breathtaking.

My 3090 comes on Friday. :shepspends:

That's Sicky I wish you all the best. Going from a 970 to a 2070 did lots for my experience.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Wheen looking at a flightplan, how do I distinguish airways/vias from waypoints? For instance, for EGLL -> EFHK simbrief gave me the following route:

BPK7F BPK Q295 SOMVA UP155 MAVAS TUSKA RIRIP N851 LAKUT LAKU5W

When punching these into the a320's flight planner, some of these are airways, others are waypoints, and you put them into different columns. How do I figure out which one goes into which in the absence of a tutorial?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sapozhnik posted:

Disclaimer: I'm not a pilot.

Short answer: if it's one letter followed by a bunch of numbers it's an airway. Not sure what's going on with "UP115" though.

Long answer:

Two-letter codes are NDBs (only ever used as part of some instrument approaches these days, never en-route unless for some reason you really wanted to)
Three-letter codes are VORs or NDBs.
(Four-letter codes are airports)
Five-letter pronounceable codes are fixes. If it's a triangle then it's a radio navigation fix. If it's a pointy star it's an arbitrary GPS co-ordinate.

But there's something else for you to be aware of as well. You're flying a jet so your flight plan is likely going to have a Standard Departure and a Standard Arrival in it (SIDs and STARs, respectively). These will be the first and last steps on your flight plan. "BPK7F BPK" looks like your departure and "LAKUT LAKU5W" looks like your arrival. If it looks like a waypoint with a number and maybe a letter stuck on the end and it's the first or last step in the flight plan then it's a SID or STAR. In the waypoint list you need to select your origin/destination airport, select the SID/STAR, then select the transition out of/into the SID/STAR which is the waypoint immediately before/after the SID/STAR in the flight plan. These will expand out to add a whole bunch of standard waypoints to the beginning and end of your flight plan.

Trivia:

If you're flying a jet (more specifically something that can comfortably fly 250-300 KIAS) then ATC will expect you to use published departures and arrivals on your journey. MSFS ATC doesn't really handle them properly (they'll just tell you to descend from FL430 straight to 2000ft or something btw uhh watch out for like, rocks and buildings and poo poo. IFR? What the gently caress is IFR?) but there's a whole chart for each one that details speed and altitude restrictions for each step. Sometimes the MCDU will show these restrictions as well although the game's nav database can be buggy in this regard. SIDs and STARs keep departing and arriving traffic organized into well-known lanes that all travel at the same speed so that they don't bump into each other; STARs will typically have a bunch of waypoints in the middle where you are required to fly at exactly 250K or 280K or thereabout. If your plane doesn't have jet engines then it won't be able to keep pace with the route's published jet traffic so ATC will control you separately, but that's fine since the majority of air traffic at major air ports is commercial jet aviation. Also IRL they'll often tell you to "fly direct to FUBAR" or whatever to skip a bunch of steps if airport traffic is light, so you'd punch that into the DIR screen in the MCDU I guess.

320 Sim Pilot has a bunch of good videos on this and other topics. Technically you're supposed to set up your takeoff performance in the MCDU as well, although that's more for real-life safety (setting up contingency plans for engine failure during takeoff) and engine efficiency concerns (TOGA beats the crap out of the engines so you want to use lower power if possible) and in a sim you can just open palm slam the throttle into TOGA for takeoff and rotate whenever you feel like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7UJlJMJdfk

Thanks for the informative effortpost. I did another long trip today and managed to get the route into the flight plan without problems. There were still some hick-ups during the flight (missed approach, autopilot resetting route, having to refuel in the air...) but I got there in the end, for the first time using my own flight plan. That was nice!

Incidentally, the video you linked started in Amsterdam. I took off from there as well, so I felt at home watching it :)

Sapozhnik posted:

I wish there was a way to turn off ATC in this game other than just ignoring them yelling at you because it's absolute trash for anything other than puttering around VFR.

I never bother to turn on the radio except for ATIS, I'm a maverick

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Oh baby that neofly seems right up my alley

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I've been messing with the a320 a bit and it's fun to guess whether the plane is doing something fun out of my incompetence or its bugginess

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

After a bunch of frustrating attempts, I'm behind the yoke of the a320neo again. I think what's causing problems for my flight plans are airways - when I enter my routes without them, the autopilot stops suiciding. I don't know what the actual problem is, but it seems to fly without complaints if I only enter the waypoints.

Anyhow, I'm looking for an app that lets me control the screens of the glass cockpits and tubeliners through a phone or tablet. I know that these apps exist for other sims, are they around for MSFS2020 as well?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

piratepilates posted:

You're coming in, you can't look at your throttle without using the right stick (alternatively set up a head tracking thing), you can't feel the throttle with the buttons, you don't have enough buttons to cover things like e.g. entering landing view, and you don't get as much precision with the small stick vs a big throttle.

Use feet to control camera with mouse

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Just installed the NeoFly mod / add-on. Can't wait to play tonight!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Isn't the A320 supposed to have liveries? I can't see any.

Go to flightsim.to

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

beeker posted:

Chiming in to echo that NeoFly is a lot of fun. A great opportunity to learn the XCub and force myself away from the A320 / big airport crowds.

Worked myself up from a C152 to a C172 yesterday. Now the AI is flying the 152 and I'm saving up for a Bonanza or D62.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

marxismftw posted:

Just started what promises to be quite the project over the next few months - Around the world in a Beechcraft Baron. A few ground rules: Limited fuel (obviously), no time compression, live weather and live time.

Here's the initial route plan.
https://imgur.com/a/Q2PHxkZ

The orange route is the primary one, with green being possible alternates.

Any suggestions about stops along the way would be appreciated!

For Europe, take the green route across Southern Europe. Southern france, swiss alps, italy are really pretty.

When crossing between northern and southern Europe, consider to go via puerto rico and the caribbean islands. Lots of interesting ones there.

Good call to avoid greenland and iceland. Was there, not worth the trouble.

Did you plan stops on islands on the ocean?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm disappearing into flight simulator.

I have installed neofly. By now, I have a little airline, with 8 planes. I think ill be buying a bunch bunch of Grand Caravans and Baron G58s and let the AI take over the grinding while I do some nice small potatoesissions on a small island. It's an addictive way to play the game.

Neofly sends me all across Europe, but ik always coming back to the Mediterranean and the alps. It's the most consistently pretty part of the game world in my opinion. Switzerland, austria, southern france, parts of southern Germany, italy, are all just gorgeous, with interesting landscapes and little towns that dot the coasts and mountains. I'm particularly fond of northern italy and sardinia with it's colorful rolling hills.

One of my routes took me over northern Ukraine. I took a detour to check out Chernobyl. If you have played Stalker, watched the miniseries, or obsessively dug into the history of the exclusion zone, there is a bunch of landmarks you'll be able to spot. Unfortunately that funky gigantic Radar dish is not modelled, just like the sarcophagus requires a lot of squinting to pass. However, the air strip you see on aerials is there, as are all the various factories and Industrial sites around the place. Most importantly because Priypat itself was a pretty pre-fabricated town, the algorithm is absolutely able to produce a model that looks believable from the air. It even looks as overgrown as it does from documentaries; the game sparks dense vegetation all across town and it really looks the part. It's a little bit uncanny. I hope there's a scenery pack for the power plant and other tricky places soon.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hey I think I saw na On Air thread in this forum but now I can't find it anymore.

Can someone post me a link? I might want to join, as it gets lonely in my Neofly company.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

londonmoose posted:

On Air Thread

Thread seems fairly quiet recently but I haven’t actually joined the VA myself yet so don’t know how active it is in game. I’ve personally just been using OnAir mostly solo to find new destinations to fly to, like you with NeoFly but also like to keep an eye on what GoonAir has been up to!

Thanks!

Regarding NeoFly, I realized that you could copy/paste the flight log out of the interface into Excel to gain some insights into how the thing works. So I manually copied over 225 entries in order to learn how exactly the game works. There are a few interesting insights. Before we get into it, keep in mind that I only looked at hired flights. That is, flights that are done by a hired AI-pilot. These can only transport passengers and cargo, and earn a bit less than the flights you fly yourself (the pilots also need to be paid a bit).

Let's bring out the spreadsheets :science:

First of all, when determining the value of a flight, NeoFly seems to exclusively care about its distance. The relationship between distance and pay is almost a completely flat, suggesting that passenger count or payload only play a minimal role. Of course, longer trips will automatically come with higher freight and passenger requirements, but the key variable that will determine your pay is distance, and distance only.

We can also see this in the efficiency of flights, i.e. the pay-per-mile. You can pretty much expect $94 per flown mile in any job, regardless of location or requirement. There are a few outliers, but they're just that - outliers. The flight with the highest efficiency ($102) had a pay of less than 8k, the second-most efficient flight paid about 16k. Thus, it's not worth worrying about distance-to-pay ratio's when selecting jobs.

These conclusions are further corroborated if we turn to the planes themselves. Belowis an overview of the average pay by type. We can see that the Baron G58, which has the longest range (and second-most freight capacity) in my hangar, is the highest grossing earner. Second is the Grand Caravan. You might expect this one to be at the top since it's a far bigger plane with a turbo prop engine and lots of space for paying customers. However, it's hamstrung by its range (Grand Caravan: 964, G58: 2344), which as we saw above, is the dominant factor in deteremining pay.

We can also put this a bit more into perspective and show which planes give the best bang-for-buck. Below are the different types, their average pay, and the cost. Unsurprisingly, the dirt-cheap Cessna 152 comes out on top, followed by the G58.After these come the Skyhawk, DA62, Bonanza. The Grand Caravan and XCub fall behind in bang-for-bucks.

That doesn't tell the entire story though, there's also convenience: a Cessna 152 doesn't fly very far, so you'll have to constantly give it new jobs. It is also locked out of passenger missions because it can only carry one of them. By contrast, a Baron G58 or DA62 can be given missions that span the entire night. Taking that into account, here are my conclusions and tips:

1. For mid-range flights, buy the Baron G58. You can also consider the DA62, it goes almost as far, takes one passenger less, and is beautiful.
2. For short range flights, stay with the Cessnas.
3. Don't worry about the type of mission or other parameters, just take the longest trip your plane can take, as you'll earn $94 per mile regardless.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Is there any way to clear or reset a Cessna citation's flight computer? It won't let me overwrite or clear destinations and waypoints like the airbus does. So you're stuck with the initil destination until you restart from main menu.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Imma barf so hard

i am kiss u now posted:

Are you using the working title mod? If so, just enter a new origin on the ground and it clears the flight plan out.

No it's a vanilla plane. I'll look for the mod, thanks for the tip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I just installed the Working Title CJ4 mod and it's so much loving better. I understand what the plane is whoing now on its displays, the oral messages make much more sense, the autopilot is smoother (a bit), so muc more buttons and menus are working (and quicker too), and best of all, you can now make the plane put on the seat belt lights and give passengers the flight briefing. This is a 100% improvement!