Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What does the arrow actually indicate for wind direction when setting weather in Flight Simulator? Is it pointing against the wind or along it? I thought it was along the direction but the crosswind I created ended up having me pointing my nose the opposite of what I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think I asked which direction wind is supposed to go right when the previous thread ended and it wasn't answered. I wouldn't be surprised if it's backwards. I was trying to prepare for crosswind landings and I thought I had to point the wrong way.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Charles posted:

Correct. Either the windsock is incorrect, or the PFD is AND tower is giving me the wrong runway.

edit: The nav map wind arrow on the MFD is incorrect too.

Today I tried my Aspen crosswind deathride again. I set the wind at 61 degrees, and the arrow was pointing west-southwest. This is what I saw last time when I set that in the weather. I guess the arrow points into the wind.

I was departing facing south-southeast. The windsock was on my right and pointed leftwards. The crosswind was coming from the right. So the sock was filling up in the direction that was also hitting the plane. Takeoff and landing was consistent with the crosswind coming from the right as well.

In other news, I think I figured out a lot of the crazy poo poo that would happen to me in takeoff probably came from live weather or other settings where I had a crosswind I didn't pay attention too. One wing would start to lift up. I couldn't tell if it was TBM shenanigans. I had taken to pushing the plane down to make sure it was hugging the runway until proper rotate speed. It seemed like a few times where I really pushed it down that it would just start rolling around like it was trying to get out of bed. I'll be doing some experiments with no wind and with a light crosswind to see what messes with it.

Also, I need to keep messing around with wind.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I wonder if they'll put an AN-2 up in the store for Flight Simulator any time soon. That seems to be my brand of goofy plane.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is this vatsim site what all the cool kids use in Europe for figuring out routes? I want to do some putt putting over Germany and skyvector isn't showing much.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sapozhnik posted:

Dunno about routes but they seem to have most/all of the approach plates. Skyvector's World Lo and World Hi IFT charts seem to show all the airways and navaids.

https://www.eurocontrol.int/publication/eurocontrol-regional-upper-airspace-charts-erc-september-2020

Looks like European airspace is 100% GPS navigation.

Oh poo poo, that would explain why I wasn't finding VOR stations. I wanted to fly over a specific position and figured I could triangulate between two stations. I guess I have to set a custom waypoint in the world map and paste in the coordinates.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Lord Stimperor posted:

Are you having trouble finding VOR stations over Europe? There should be sufficient coverage, at least where people live. Nothing showing up on Skyvector? Try out the Garmin G1000 nearest VOR menu?

If I am using the in-game Garmin then I am using its basic map and I would struggle to find the area I am trying to triangulate.

We can make this less hypothetical. What is there for navaids near Paderborn? It turned out that free airport in the store is right nearby my wife's ancestral area so I wanted to mess around there. I don't actually know the area so I was trying to establish some coordinates for a flight plan.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
VR headsets are a no-go with me simply because my head is too loving big. If I'm using contacts then I'm still wiping the panels with my eyelashes and the whole thing is squeezing on me.

Given this, it does mean I actually did try one and I heavily recommend you find yourself one for a day. I remember in the Oculus Rift demo with the cassette robot that I felt something on my right hand, looked down in-game, and found a glowing moth resting on it and I panicked for a second. The level of awe from it all was on par to when I played the Doom demo for the first time as an 11-year-old without being told in advance what I was getting into. Some SysOp I had met on an online service back when sent me it along with some Wolf3d map editor stuff that I actually wanted. She was a devious one.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I tried a custom GPS run from Paderborn to my wife family's German hometown. Getting the world map to behave was difficult but I eventually finagled it. However, I tried to set the arrival as an ILS approach, but it never took. Given the discussion about VOR stations in Europe, I guess I'm not surprised. Normally, I would expect the VOR to default to it but it didn't. I had most of the approach in GPS coordinates, but it was putting me north (right) of the runway. I suppose I should not conclude a problem there until I try an RNAV approach instead.

The autopilot disabled on the approach too. When it should have turned for the coordinates along the approach, it just overshot using its last heading; it didn't turn at all. I saw my navigation had somehow from FMS mode to VOR. Since there was no VOR fix, it just kept ambling along.

I'm trying to start being a good boy with the rudder but it's really snappy trying to just do the small adjustments. I'm guessing most people are heavily dampening the sensitivity curve for their rudder control. Can somebody describe (or just show a screenie) of what is more appropriate?

Finally, I had a strange TBM quirk this time. It was getting mad about my propeller RPM being way too high but my throttle was pretty consistently between 30-40%. I never figured out what I did and it didn't really drop down until I had landed.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Cojawfee posted:

Mine would suddenly turn off when changing between internal and external cameras. Sometimes it would get stuck in the external mode and have a person modeled in the cockpit and the screens off.

Having the pilot pounding on the cockpit for you to rescue them was a real nice touch they did.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Post update: I had my destination airport in the TBM's Garmin set to KASE but I forgot to specify an approach. I couldn't get it to load up one at all. Clicking on the approaches section of the planner eventually just got my to dead buttons for actually specifying which approach to use. I'm assuming this is another fun bug.

Edit: I'm only cruising at 224 knots at 18,000 feet with 92% throttle now. Did they take some of the oomph out of the TBM?

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 23, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Disregarding all the calculation that has to happen just to run the simulation, the graphics requirements are still just so demanding because simulators are aiming to be realistic and not just immersive. There's a lot of fiddling over terrain details that you might never scrutinize in detail... or you might. There's a ton of fuss over how the sky looks with clouds and the atmosphere.

Bask in people posting about the position of celestial objects:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/stars/281713/17

Somebody is going to expect the stars and planets to be in the right places. A non-simulator game can just vomit a skybox. Apparently FS2020 isn't doing the planets right now but it has most everything else and the effect of light pollution on it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Anime Store Adventure posted:

If the flat panels are chrome, can someone add a new tab/page option to look for hot singles in my area when I’m on long cruises?

Yes but you won't be able to approach them.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Regarding altitude artifacts after the US update: I noticed a few scary ones around Aspen. There isn't a lot of wiggle room there in the first place, and the death towers made it much more imposing.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The video claimed to be 1080p. Was their resolution lower than yours?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

I said come in! posted:

Microsoft Flight Sim breaks more than just itself.

That person has lots of love. So much love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has anybody here actually tried FS2020 on Linux through Steam's stuff? I wonder how well it generally works. I am likely doing a lot more Linux stuff at work with an aspiration of taking that elsewhere so I'm trying to see if I can get most of my home stuff in place to work on Linux too.