Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
since we're posting our early sim experiences. we had a mac when i was a kid so i was stuck with ms flight sim, but my friend a few blocks away had a sweet 386 or whatever. big times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8hQTLwkGuE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
it seems pretty reasonable that boeing, airbus, et al would prefer not to have people speedrunning 9/11 on tiktok or whatever

they are wrong of course because that would own ("cool, the latest challenge mode is something called Takeoff From Tenerife? sounds neat i'll check it out"), but oh well

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
following ATC isn’t very fun though, neither is career mode

getting in a plane and flying it around is pretty fun

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
related story, I would trade a fair-sized pile of us currency for “GTA but in real cities”

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
does anyone have thoughts on the carenado planes? i've seen comments about how they don't really fix stuff, but they also just released a Skymaster and that's my favorite ga airplane (until i purchase cessna and make them do a push-pull turboprop Grander Caravan)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

azflyboy posted:

Carenado airplanes can be summarized as "look good, fly okay, support sucks".

Their visual models and textures are generally pretty good (somewhere around the quality of the MSFS default models), their sounds are generally adequate, and the flight models are generally on par with the default airplanes, in that they'll be close-ish to real world performance numbers, but will make zero efforts to fix things like the wonky propeller modeling on twins or oddball ground handling that are present on default airplanes. Systems modeling will typically be about as deep as the default airplanes as well, but their QA/beta process is clearly flawed, since their airplanes usually launch with quite a few bugs that may or may not get fixed.

Carenado also includes almost zero documentation for their products, so finding a copy of a real-world POH online is typically a good idea.

Where Carenado falls down is their total lack of support for products post release.

For FSX and P3D, their business model was "release airplane, release one patch to fix glaring flaws, abandon airplane for next release", which is pretty much what they do with MSFS as well. The only reason Carenado have done more than that is because MSFS updates typically break something that renders some of their products unusable, but even when it's a simple fix, Carenado takes weeks longer than other developers to fix stuff, and if they break something else in the process, it's a crapshoot if it ever gets fixed.

Before MSFS, Carenado products typically relied on users deciding to fix stuff themselves (especially with flight models or systems), but since Marketplace purchases are all encrypted, that's essentially impossible now.

thanks for this. i had a couple drinks and ended up buying the skymaster, thinking i've got 48 hours to return it just in case. i'm far from a pilot but it seems pretty badass to me, the older instruments are cool as hell and it sounded really good + mean when i throttle up. i did a night flight over shanghai at 750 ft and was able to figure out all the autopilot / gps stuff to not die (i was less successful with the f-18). so far so good, but i need to find a manual with the checklists and such because nothing shows up in the dumb msfs checklist

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 21, 2022

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Sagebrush posted:

Uh I always shut down one engine when taxiing to save fuel, since that's how they do it in the airlines and any other way would ruin my immersion :spergin: :goonsay:

i've been doing this for fun in the cessna skymaster and then the other day i learned why the instrument panel has a big sign reading DO NOT INITIATE SINGLE ENGINE TAKE OFF :tipshat:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Sapozhnik posted:

every day i log on and see people people just openly admitting that they commit heinous airplane crimes in their video games and don't even pretend to adhere to the relevant FARs and all applicable placarded instructions in their aircraft

i think i'm going to be sick

if cessna really didn't want me to INITIATE SINGLE ENGINE TAKE OFF then why give me a plane with more than one engine :colbert:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
is there a good an-2 for msfs?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Wolfy posted:

No, but yes. One was supposed to be released as the first in the famous flyers series last week, but the developer ran into licensing issues with Antonov. Apparently the aircraft is ready to go, it's all licensing at this point, but it's anyone's guess as to when that situation can be resolved given...everything.

This is what we last saw of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1PYZ2n1RGw

badass. thanks op, crossing the ol fingeroonies for this one

I wanna fly The Giant Biplane That Cannot Stall

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
that's st barts (TFFJ)

i'm gonna go crash into it

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
in MSFS when i play with a controller i like to just enable the AI autotrim or w/e it's called, if i'm using a controller i don't care too much about "flying"

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i haven't tried flying the spruce goose yet, but is there a way i can fly a c-130 or a c-17 or similar in msfs? or i dunno, can i cruise around in one in dcs?

what about the super guppy or a beluga or something? just wondering what kind of real sicko airplanes are out there.

i love cruising around in the carenado skymaster, so i'm always interested in other weirdo options

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i want to put the world's largest piece of rubber dogshit in a beluga and open the hatch as i pilot it directly into mar a lago

yeah the dreamlifter could carry a bigger piece of rubber dogshit but it doesn't look as funny as the beluga

looks like somebody sells the beluga for xplane, maybe i'll start sending them emails telling them to get with the program

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i could do all of that, or i could hot start a fully loaded 747 at DC national airport runway 1 and spin it directly into the white house trying to get it in the air

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i've been flying the aerosoft Twin Otter around quite a bit, it's very fun. turboprops ftw

last night i had a perfect approach into kathmandu and then my cat jumped into the cables and made me crash, the ntsb is gonna have a field day with that one

unlike the carenado skymaster, the checklist is built into the msfs interface so it makes figuring it out p easy.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Lord Stimperor posted:

Is there still a performance and/or compatibility impact for flight sims of Windows 11? Windows keeps pesterming me that it wants to upgrade.

sample size of 1 but i did not have any noticeable change when upgrading from 10 -> 11. it's certainly possible there was a change, just not anything that stood out

laptop with a ryzen 5900 something or other and a 3060 if that matters

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
looks like it still has the GOATed grand caravan so it’s probably good

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I've never successfully resumed a flight from a save so it's fly or die just like real life

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
you can sightsee in airliners just fine, like the time i flew an a320 from ny to dc at a thousand feet above i-95

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
the stuck update seems to be universal, i had it yesterday and it seems pretty common from googling around

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
fwiw I was able to resolve the issue by trashing all the fspatch files (in the download location on the screen before you hit UPDATE)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Sagebrush posted:

There is also an option in the MSFS settings for "default pilot position." I moved the height slider up to about 70 from its default of 50. This applies to all aircraft. Tada

whoah, powerful tip. tyvm op, was not aware of this

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
what are everyone's favorite small piston planes?

i really enjoy the cessna 337 skymaster from carenado, and i've also ended up with carenado's piper archer ii and arrow iii in an effort to get something similar to my friend's irl grumman tiger

the xcub that's included is really cool but i can't quite seem to figure out taildraggers in msfs

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
my buddy let me fly his irl airplane for a few minutes and being able to actually feel the yoke and pitch trim interact was like a revelation. way more natural than in a sim, and kind of halfway ruined sim flying for me

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

azflyboy posted:

The airplane I fly for my day job is fly by wire (except the ailerons, because Embraer is weird), so all of the control forces and speed/trim related changes to them are basically a really expensive FFB system.

that owns

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
another thumbs up for the carenado skymaster, arrow, and archer

i really enjoy the twin otter, weird it was pulled off the market

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Rot posted:

And let's not sleep on the WBSim/JPLogistics C152 mod. It's a free mod that's based on the work they did on their (paid) C172 mod[1]. I fly this all the time when doing short VOR to VOR trips, patterns, or just spend a chill hour putting around the neighbourhood.

i installed this the other day and it's great! you can even enable an autopilot and the pms50 free gtn750 so you can follow a purple line very slowly.

feels great to fly

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

skooma512 posted:

Particularly since they've shown a willingness to cut off the current version and move to a new one in 2024.

where have they shown this?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i caved and got the a2a comanche, it's really great

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i took off in the spruce goose and was able to tour long beach at ~1000ft agl a bit before landing it again. much easier than the decaprio movie made it seem imo

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i watched a video on those airplanes that tow the huge banners at the beach and they should add that to msfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J4RPbPoUTw

they should also add aerial firefighting

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

skooma512 posted:

I watched one circle Coachella all 3 days... with an Onlyfans banner... and I was kinda amazed by the high AoA. Dude was farming hours just doing circles near stall speed, good for him.

yeah there's an aopa video* about one that crashed that goes into depth on it, and between the high drag and weight from the banner and the desire to go slow enough that it doesn't wave around / people can read it, you're basically flying a pattern at a couple mph over stall for hours at a time. the pick and drop seem fun to try

* here it is, very interesting imo. they have a lot of very informative videos about flying small airplanes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3Jkd3ce5lo

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
just treat every airfield as untowered and do a couple passes at 2000-500 agl so you can see the windsock, then announce your intentions

one weird trick air traffic control hates

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
squawk 7700 if you like to party

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
the flysimware cessna 414 is insanely good

:synpa:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
capitalism.txt

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I get the boot up screens showing off the carribean update but no prompted download and no world update in content manager

presumably they're saving the big release for elite level pilots such as myself?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
many thanks, that was the trick. those bastards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
if they're gonna have a big splash screen showing off the new content they could have a lil message saying "go to <whatever> to download"

but im no flight simulator dev expert, just a simple country sim pilot