Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Steadiman posted:

I have literally not yet been able to complete a single flight in DX12, the several times I tried it'll just crash at some point saying it's overheating or something (I checked the CPU/GPU temps, they seemed fine to me). I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong but constantly having to restart the game to switch is annoying enough for me to stop caring completely. Is it really that big of a difference? Because I'm still not entirely clear on what it does and the official forums are just a long line of people saying it works great/sucks hard with very little explanation.

It's hard to say what DirectX 12 does because it's just a major fundamental difference to the way the graphics systems work. DirectX 11 and earlier basically do a lot of the stuff for making a 3D game for you, while DirectX 12 just kinda throws you at the basic graphics card commands and goes 'do it yourself'. That means that a DX12 game is a lot trickier to write and has lots of new things to take care of, and it's easier to introduce bugs, but it also means that programmers can write things specifically optimised for what exactly they're doing and skip they don't actually need, and it can be a lot faster.

Flight Sim in particular was very tricky to port over because it was built on FSX, so the whole code structure was designed on a fundamental level around using the old DirectX style.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Why wouldn't you want the world update?

Even if they aren't going to integrate it into base I feel like they should either have a prompt when it comes out, or just automatically toggle it on for everyone first time and the rare wierdos who don't want it can then go remove it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

my msfs install right now without mods is 200GB. so maybe people don't want to have to buy a new storage drive dedicated solely to this one game. or maybe they don't want to waste a huge chunk of their monthly bandwidth cap downloading an update for a region they don't care about.

Yeah but if it was part of the base scenery all the heavy stuff would just be part of the streamed data and not installed, wouldn't it? It'd just be another area with high resolution assets available like many that already exist like New York.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bentai posted:

I can't wait for the Beechcraft Starship to eventually get released.

Watch Beechcraft refuse to let it happen because they're trying to wipe the Starship from existence.

Speaking of cool non-existent planes, I want an Eclipse 400, just because it looks so cool. (I looked up to see if there were any similar looking VLJs and love how looking up lists of cool very light jets always ends with 'and then the company went bankrupt')

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 16, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rot posted:

Personally, the biggest value I get out of stuff like the Halo and Dune DLC is the temper tantrums on the official forums, haha.

It's anthropologically fascinating.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So speech synthesis? Like when my phone is telling me to turn left at Hotham Road and then stay in the right lane for 300 metres?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Even in the case of something like BeyondATC, I'm going to assume they use three to power their whole thing, one that converts speech to text, a chat bot that takes the converted text and responds to it while following a base prompt, and a voice synthesiser to readback the output. Throughout the years there have been things that do all of these tasks that aren't AI and they have been uncontroversial.

Those things from 'throughout the years' are all things that have been referred to as AI, often. AI is a very broad, undefined term. The current buzz tends to use it to refer to generative deep learning systems, but that's just because that's what the current buzz is. I'm not just being 'ooo technically', it's quite common for press releases to mention AI when they aren't using deep generative and there's been some campaigns against games that start and then abort when it turns out they were just using something like procedural generation. (That happened with Skylines 2 and their dynamic people models.) The words AI get you investment.

And there's been some degree of trained machine learning involved in speech synthesis for decades. Deep learning specifically, which means you're using numerous stacked layers of artificial neural nets, has only been a major thing in the field since around 2016, but even so I expect you see it everywhere without even knowing for a lot of speech interaction. Siri, for example, has been partially deep trained since iOS 10 in 2016.

It's likely most speech generation has used some level of deep neural trained models for half a decade or so, but even before that it was other AI machine learning technologies.

I'm not entirely sure about the wide harvesting issues for speech synthesis: it's not really being mock-creative in the way things like generative art are, and responds better to more limited supervised and annotated dataset inputs. Probably trained on a wide range of supervised voice input for a base model that then narrows down to training on individual persons for final output models.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

For a given set of things like that you just have the system transparently substitute a word written as it's meant to be pronounced in the text before feeding it to the speech synth. You'd have to keep a dictionary of pronunciations but that's basically what you have to learn in real life for things like that. Some synth systems can take precise IPA definitions for words.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 4, 2024