Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Known issues:
-autopilot tries to fly you exclusively to Toronto Billy Bishop whenever enabled
-workaround: plan flights that end in Toronto

Seems like a feature my dude :)

come enjoy the sights, and a great airport+approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Supposedly the third party Aermacchi MB-339 training jet is going to be released soon.

https://msfsaddons.com/2020/10/08/aermacchi-mb-339-release-is-near/

It would be the first real two-seater jet plane in the game. I can't wait, it's the kind of thing I really want to fly in this game.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

look what's back! in mod form!

:unsmith: https://www.nexusmods.com/microsoftflightsimulator/mods/192?tab=description

There are a ton more free airport and scenery improvements on that same site. I'm glad to see a little mod community popping up already, even with the jankiness of the base game and apparent incompleteness of the SDK. Now I just want my old junky planes! It's a goddamned shame that there isn't a single plane with a radial engine included with the game

looks like a poor man's toronto centre island airport :smug:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

it makes you wonder how bad the autopilot issue must have been for them to not release it over, considering how many bugs the previous patches brought.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Oh yeah this is a real big one. One of the things that CLOD was supposed to implement -- don't know if they actually did, but it would help explain the lovely performance -- was a complete physically simulated engine model. All 16 pistons running on their conrods, valves opening and closing, fuel going in and exhaust coming out, air going into the supercharger, yada yada. The idea being that if you were shot in the engine, yes, the bullet would damage specific components and create ~~realistic~~ engine failures, like power loss because a cylinder was punched open or oil pressure dropping because a line was cut, as opposed to just rolling a die and failing some subsystems which is IMMERSION BREAKING and I CAN TOTALLY TELL.

agh get hosed

Is there any literature or research of damage suffered to engines historically? I'd imagine it's easy enough to just randomly choose between:
- engine is fine
- engine is running slower
- engine doesn't work at all

when you get hit, and that'd closely enough match what it was like if an engine got hit.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

it's never worked correctly to my understanding, so maybe the fs forums just boiled over or something

me, i just want them to fix the loving trees so that yosemite has evergreens instead of this jungle poo poo and the deciduous ones lose their leaves in winter. they have a really well implemented snow shader with a real-time depth slider but it sits on top of these puffy leafy green trees. ugh. also the rivers don't freeze over so you can't land on the ice. double ugh

supposedly they'll be doing seasons in an update sometime early next year so here's looking forward to that

but the seasons are changing now!! :goose: :goose:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Cat Wings posted:

I'm planning on getting MSFS soon, but I don't have a HOTAS. Is it playable with mouse and keyboard, or maybe a controller, or am I hosed?

The flying is doable just fine with a controller, the landing gets a bit iffy (but still doable). If you're on the edge about getting a HOTAS then I'd say go for it, but there's no reason not to try it with a controller.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Bedurndurn posted:

What do you find iffy about landing with a controller? The only thing I don't like is there's no on-screen feedback about your current throttle % when you adjust it with the gamepad buttons.

You're coming in, you can't look at your throttle without using the right stick (alternatively set up a head tracking thing), you can't feel the throttle with the buttons, you don't have enough buttons to cover things like e.g. entering landing view, and you don't get as much precision with the small stick vs a big throttle.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

Seeing as how TrackIr changed my life, I can inagine VR is ridiculous

The last VR I tried was an Oculus Rift DevKit 2, about 5 years ago, which was really really early on in (modern) VR history.

I tried it in DCS and was blown away. You feel like you're really in an airplane up thousands of feet in the air, and I don't mean it just looks like you are -- like it would on a monitor -- you really feel like you're up in the air sailing away and you're floating through it.

It's really cool, really good. Shame I'd need a whole new PC and then a new VR kit just to play it though.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Is there any source for that statement that the simulation uses typescript compiled down to wasm? Using typescript to wasm for the graphical panels makes sense to me, but for physics simulations that seems a bit odd.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Mailer posted:

With the hotas setup I've been trying to land in the cockpit and touching down is breaking my brain. In third person it's easy to get where the ground is relative to the plane, when to flare, when it's safe to break, etc. It makes me feel like a kid trying to drive a car who can just barely look over the dash.

You can bind a hotkey to the "Landing View" (I forget what it's called exactly) mode that puts you slightly forward, which should help seeing the ground, if the problem is not being able to see far past the dashboard. There's also a key (I think bound to the spacebar?) for raising your view a bit, which really helps see the ground.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Anime Store Adventure posted:

The worst part of VR is how easy it is to knock over your cocktail or be unable to easily drink it without a straw like a weirdo.

How am I supposed to put this Airbus down in a crosswind without adequate lubrication?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Even if the update process works without errors for people (I've had good success with it past launch), it just sucks, its an awful experience, especially if you buy it through Microsoft's first party service:
- when there's an update, you have to restart your PC for the MSFS store to see the update, then have it update
- then launch the game itself, which launches the updater inside of it
- which runs as like a DirectX application, so it sits there keeping the GPU active for as long as the update happens, along with that stupid music playing
- and even then, there's more updates in the form of the content manager, which again requires you to sit in the game waiting for it to finish

Microsoft makes the OS, the game engine, owns the studio, owns the different storefronts and distribution network, owns the entire cloud infrastructure it runs on, and its still a frustrating mess just updating the game. Compare that to any other game on steam, where it just updates the game in the background, along with any content you need, and then you just click a "Play" button and it all works. It's been 3 years and its still just as much of a mess.