Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shipon posted:

if what caused my flight to crash two hours in was the VFR map being open the entire time then i guess i can just go without that since i have navigraph installed anyway and it pulls the location in there in a better map

That probably isn't it? I believe the VFR map crash happens when you try to open it. So keeping it open is actually the preferable option. I've had other crashes too while it was open, but they appear to be unrelated. One of the crashes happened when I got locked into looking at a point of interest and I was messing with my controller configuration in windows to see if it was sending any incorrect inputs, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

From the last thread:

Not the Messiah posted:

Don't think this has been posted ITT yet - someone's made a free/pwyw bush pilot career mode tool thing - https://maugiroe.wixsite.com/neofly

Could be a jam if it's done right (especially as i'm too poor rn for OnAir)

This is kinda interesting, but right now it doesn't seem too different from OnAir/FSE except with fewer features. The more creative mission types seem to be in the minority of all the missions available, so most of the missions are just you flying people and cargo from airport to airport like usual. They even have an airliner qualification, which doesn't seem very bush flighty to me.

The 'pizza delivery' mission type where you basically airdrop goods by flying less than 500 feet over an objective is interesting in theory, but I have a feeling that you'll just do a normal flight to the delivery zone in any old plane, so it seems kinda pointless. They should make you fly slowly 50 ft over the ground at the objective or something instead. Just frisbee a pizza out your door/window as you fly by some dude's mountain cabin, why not.

Flying doctors to remote farms in the countryside is neat though, but most airports only have a couple of those missions available and they don't re-randomize ever, it seems. One of the "land in the middle of nowhere" missions it generated actually wanted me to land in the middle of an international airport, on the airliner apron lmao. Makes me wonder if it's possible for them to send you to the middle of a city. That'd be interesting, especially since it requires you to fly with crash/stress failures turned on.

Anyway, neat little app, but it doesn't seem too fleshed out yet.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 1, 2020

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Scruff McGruff posted:

It might be worth adding VKB to the hardware section of the OP. I got a left-hand Gladiator NXT a few weeks ago and it's fantastic (though admittedly I'm coming from using a ps3 controller). I'm definitely looking at picking up their throttle quadrant when it comes out, especially since it's supposedly going to be $60. It's a nice middle ground between something like a TM 16000 and the crazy enthusiast flight sticks.

What a difference having so many buttons (and wheels!) on a stick makes. Being able to handle things like flaps, landing gear, trim, and a real throttle all on the stick makes landing so much easier and really helped me get more enjoyment out of MSFS. No more trying to line up my approach while also using my mouse to try and manually bring throttle back to idle and lower flaps or tap buttons for trim only to find out that one tap is a lot of movement on that wheel.

I ended up also getting Ace Combat 7 just because I was looking for more reasons to use it and I loved 4 and 5 (lol, joke's on me, AC7 only supports controllers so you have to map the stick to controller inputs in Steam and there's no rudder axis, only buttons. Still a great Ace Combat game though). Can't wait to start using it for SW: Squadrons and I'm eying DCS and IL-2 but I'm not sure I want to risk falling down that rabbit hole.

What was your experience like purchasing the NXT from the VKB store? The main thing that has stopped me from pulling the trigger on that is that I've heard stories of exorbitant surprise customs charges with the final charges being up to $100 over the listed price.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I wonder if they'll put an AN-2 up in the store for Flight Simulator any time soon. That seems to be my brand of goofy plane.

Only as long as the cockpit looks as awful as the one on the wikipedia page. Any better and I won't accept it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If I am using the in-game Garmin then I am using its basic map and I would struggle to find the area I am trying to triangulate.

We can make this less hypothetical. What is there for navaids near Paderborn? It turned out that free airport in the store is right nearby my wife's ancestral area so I wanted to mess around there. I don't actually know the area so I was trying to establish some coordinates for a flight plan.

Just take a look on Skyvector in the area you'll be flying in. The VORs look like this:

There appear to be plenty in the area to help you triangulate coordinates.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kunabomber posted:

Are bush flight legs just plain not completing? I tried to do some of the Breckenridge flights and the typical completed screen wasn't popping up after I landed.

Any bush flights started on the launch version need to be restarted. Saves broke after the first big patch and it seems the japan update didn't fix it. You do this by finding your save folder (search for "NEVADA_SAVE" if you're having trouble finding it), deleting/renaming the save folder, then entering the bush flight menu again.

You can rapidly get back to where you were by using dev mode to teleport you from airport to airport. The ICAO codes for your destination airports are always at the top of the flight log every leg. You should be able to get back to where you were after 5 minutes or so of teleporting around.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Star Wars Squadrons just came out and people are buying up sticks for that.

Hard to imagine anyone's buying a stick just for Squadrons. The MSFS-induced hardware shortage still hasn't ended.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sigher posted:

They only seem to have their own stuff, I'm in need of rudder pedals and a Honeycomb Yoke.

I actually have some pedals on order... but it's been 2~ weeks and they still haven't shipped.

Yeah the yoke is super backordered at the moment. The throttle quadrant is even worse. They don't seem to be capable of meeting demand. Every time I go back to check they add another week of backordered units.

edit: This site claims it will get a shipment of yokes on or around october 19th: https://xforcepc.com/honeycomb.html

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 9, 2020

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The recommendation I've seen for having level flight is to use VS mode and set it to 0. That seems more consistent than using altitude hold mode.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Too bad multiplayer seems to happen in multiple instances. I reloaded on EDDL on the same geographic server, and there's entirely different people around now.

I don't think it's instance based. There's simply a hard cap on the number of internet people the game will track and render, and it seems to pick them at random when you're loading into an area with lots of players.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmmm, really? I was just surprised, because when I went to the main menu, the sky and airport were relatively busy, when I hopped immediately back in, there were suddenly just only six other nametags.

Oh that's weird. I think there's probably other weirdness with the network code that can happen. It's definitely not pure instance based, judging by how I've heard other people describe the system and also my own experience in large group flights with streamers where everyone sees different people from the one big group.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

vanisher posted:

Anyone else having the altitude and speed tape freeze mid cruise on the g1000/g3000 PFD? It seems to unfreeze when you begin the approach but it sure makes descending a challenge.

I noticed the Wind overlay also said “no wind data,” maybe it’s related.

Was there any icing? This may happen if you get ice in your pitot tube. It working again after descending into warmer air would also be consistent with icing issues. Make sure you turn on your pitot heat.

The wind overlay showing no data has been a thing for me recently. It seems to typically indicate 0kt wind, but I find it hard to believe there's 0kt wind at 10,000ft so often, so wind just seems buggy in general still.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think it's that you fly into a wall. Turn off damage and see what happens. When I've tried to fly under the Eiffel Tower as well as a bridge somewhere else, I flew under, was slammed into the ground, and then bounced up and kept flying. I think there is something wonky with their wind model that causes the wind to shove your plane into the ground when you fly under something.

It's a wall. The game just handles collision weirdly when you have failures turned off.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

There's a Long-EZ and a Mooney in the in-game store now. Has anyone tried either of them?

e: patch notes:

gently caress YEAH

Really all they had to do was move the 'push any key' screen to the end of all the loads. Make it so when you click you're immediately at the menu so they could still have their cool animated screen if they wanted it. But i'll take this too.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Does that kill your previous purchases? Actually I'm willing to lose Forza Horizon 4 if it means I'm permanently prevented from ever giving Microsoft money on their joke of a store.

It may disable your entire microsoft account, it depends on MS's policy. I know Valve for instance will just permanently lock you out of your account if you do a chargeback on a Steam purchase.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CPColin posted:

Just fly toward it until you find out

I was just reading about that flight today. I've never even thought about the effect a uniformly white sky, ocean, and mountain could have on your ability to navigate before. And apparently neither did the crew of Air New Zealand Flight 901. I wonder if it's possible to recreate those conditions in the flight simulator.

edit: it now occurs to me that you may not have been making a glib reference to this crash, but that's how I chose to interpret your post. :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 2, 2020

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

slidebite posted:

I was actually going to ask this - not for the halloween challenge, but in general. The highways are all completely lit up like city streets with streetlamps. Any way to tone that down? I assume not? I mean, it's great for VFR as you can see exactly where you are at midnight, but I'd prefer to see a bit of moving traffic and not static lights if possible.

Also, did a flight through the Crowsnest Pass in Alberta last night - area of a big landslide 100+ years ago. Looks pretty drat good.

I haven't played since they've changed the night lighting. Did they change the way highways are lit? Used to be that they'd generally glow a reddish color, which I think was to simulate the look of tail lights without actually having to render loads of individual cars with functional lights.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

- All battle damage to your airplane should be tracked and incorporated into the model, so if you got shot in the tail, the plane should grow a metal patch where the bullet hit and it would remain there for the rest of the campaign. Paint would also realistically chip and weather

Okay, but this part's cool. At least the battle damage part.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

First Time Caller posted:

I wonder how many "avionics are suddenly just turning off" reports were from people leaving the ignition switch on Start after they received their honeycomb yokes

Happened to me without a honeycomb, and through toggling the ignition with my mouse.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sigher posted:

So with the Reverb G2 already in consumer hands and me getting mine tomorrow and getting stoked as hell for it... when is the VR update? Did the VR beta ever roll out?

VR support is in closed beta. Pretty sure you can sign up for it through the insider program.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Trillhouse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjY-9lkgzVs

Trailer for an Ace Combat-esque campaign for DCS. Fictional countries with real planes, voice-acting, music from the guy that does the Ace Combat games, etc.

Looks super cool!

Is that the DEMON? How is that possible? :|

I like what they're going for but lmao this voice acting is so loving bad. It really does feel like a cheap imitation.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TrackIR or a homebrew alternative really is clutch for flying with situational awareness. Being able to quickly glance at your instruments and then back out the window is huge. It's honestly a more suitable alternative to VR for most people anyway.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MrYenko posted:

This has always been an issue. I suspect it speeds up the sim rate but is still running the autopilot logic at 1x.

I don't think that's how it works. The game is already heavily CPU limited. I think it just struggles to find the cpu time necessary to keep up during time acceleration.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm really sad that after finally getting a good HMD to discover that AMD's support for WMR is abysmal and their drivers crash constantly when using it. I'll have to wait god knows how many months for geforce 30 cards to become available.

This process has illuminated part of the reason why VR has struggled to catch on. If one of the big two hardware manufacturer's support for VR is "basically none" this many years into the current wave, then just lmao. but also lol @ amd in general. their drivers always find new ways to impress.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 26, 2020

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I did manage to get 40 minutes of flight in in-between driver crashes. The VR experience was very cool. The game automatically set my settings to a mix of medium and low. I upped the render scale to 100% and tweaked a couple other settings lower, and it ran semi-smoothly. I have little experience with VR so I don't really know how to describe how it performed well. I also don't know how to view performance metrics while in VR. All I can say was that looking around felt jittery. The scrolling scenery when compared directly against the static cockpit also felt jittery. But when focusing on just the scenery itself, it felt smooth. I wonder if there was any frame smoothing happening or if that's just how eyes work, like they were able to adapt to the lower frame rate or something. This was all on a 5700XT with an i5-8400.

Once I got used to the performance weirdness, it was a really fascinating experience. I think this goes beyond a neat gimmick, this definitely feels like a valid primary way to play flight sims... when it works. I think ideally, for VR to become something I tell everyone is the only way they should fly, they need just a little more clarity and FoV than the current top-end HMDs offer (the Reverb G2 is rather good but not 100% there yet), and the experience of actually using it needs to be more seamless.

I should try out some combat flight sims next. What's the IL2 one everyone says has good VR?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 26, 2020

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Stringent posted:

I'm on a G1 Reverb so maybe it's just the non-Oculus systems that aren't running well?

That seems odd since WMR was supposed to be the first system supported out of the gate and Microsoft and all, but vOv.

I mean the reverb has twice as many pixels on its screen than the Rift S so it would stand to reason the performance on it is much worse.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shipon posted:

isn't HDR on PC pretty much broken anyway, windows apparently just does a poor job of it

Certainly doesn't help that monitor standards are all over the place and are mostly much worse than the TV standard.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

EngineerJoe posted:

Is hdr as broken on consoles as it is on Windows? I don't really understand why it's so bad. HDR content on youtube looks great on my computer but games looks like washed out garbage. FS2020 actually looks the best and I *think* it may look better than non hdr. Everything else is bad though. Pretty sure I have it set up correctly too.

No, HDR is great on consoles. PC is just really behind on this front for some reason. I blame bad windows support and monitor standards that are all over the place.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, it'll definitely be a while before graphics cards are widely available from major retailers again. And on ebay, prices are around $1400 to $1500 right now for a 3080, which is worse than what it was a month or two ago. The bitcoin surge happening right now is catastrophically bad timing for the video card market. At this point I legitimately feel like, unless you get lucky, you won't be able to get a 3080 (or whatever nvidia replaces it with) for under $1k until 2021.

Zen 3 availability seems better off in comparison. New drops on amazon are now lasting long enough before selling out to make it relatively easy to get one if you're paying attention. I recommend signing up to one of the services that send you a phone notification when stock becomes available, like this site: https://www.stockinformer.com/checker-amd-ryzen-5000-cpu-zen-3

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

zedprime posted:

I did the stupidest thing I could have ever done last year and upgraded my CPU and motherboard to play Flight Sim when apparently I should have just waited to buy a 3070 premade system.

Honestly yes. I started making piecemeal upgrades just prior to FS2020's launch under the assumption that I'd be able to buy a new graphics card and CPU when those came out and, lol, joke was on me I guess. Shoulda just waited and bought a $2000 alienware or some poo poo. At least now I finally got a new Ryzen which has boosted my FS performance a decent amount (though my VR performance is still rear end).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Knowing newegg they'll implement a queue system and then only let you queue up for combos where the card comes bundled with some RAM you don't need and a random hard drive.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

2Jets posted:

They're out there, dont give up. I got a 3080 yesterday. I had the best luck using the newegg app. I saw 3 3090s and one other 3080 this week. I haven't seen a 3070 or 3060 available yet though.

What's your process for checking? And was it a 3080 on its own or part of a combo?

I've seen a handful of honest people lucking into a 30x card but I never understood how.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 15, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

2Jets posted:

I just searched the key words RTX 3000 on new egg. Anything in stock will be at the top of the list.

Then that is just absurdly lucky on your part lmao

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Trillhouse posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174598982937

Heads up for people looking for a new HOTAS setup. I know they can be hard to find.

quote:

Computers and software are not included.
What software even interfaces with this? Are they charging $8500 for a couple monitors and some admittedly nice looking control panels and HOTAS?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

soggybagel posted:

If anyone is on the video card hunt newegg has been doing the raffle thing the past couple days and they are decoupled from bundles now. So you have a shot at getting a 3070 or 3080. In fact a friend of mine just got one yesterday in the raffle so it can actually work!

Hilarious that these raffles are limited-time surprise events that people on certain sleep schedules just don't have access to.

I'll go back to desperately clicking a link a few times a day every time a discord notif pops.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 29, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mailer posted:

Given it's made things like the higher end 3080s and 3090s sell way more than they would have otherwise, I hope you like the new permanent shortage model of PC hardware.

This is questionable. Do we have sale numbers? Who's to say they don't sell even more cards when there isn't a shortage holding them back? Even if they're now managing to sell 50/50 non-OC and OC when it's ordinarily 90/10 (numbers made up for the sake of argument), that hardly matters if they're only selling a small fraction of the numbers they normally sell due to shortages.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mailer posted:

Oh I'd imagine Nvidia would love to flood the market in cards. AMD has its own issues but they'd love the same. Here in AU it's largely on the retail end - 3060s, 3090s, even 3080s for people who would normally just go for a 3070. All marked way the hell up because it's still cheaper than getting a card from a scalper. It'll eventually go back to normal when the world stops being a shitstorm but the frenzy has led a lot of people to open their wallets way more than they usually would.

I guess here at least it's still a matter of being in a queue or randomly being fast. The lottery thing is hilarious.

Oh, that's what you meant. Still, no. I have to imagine revenue is way below what manufacturers were hoping for due to the shortages, even if people are being upsold on some cards due to availability. This is not a state of affairs anyone wants to continue.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

slidebite posted:

Was there an MSFS update coming this week?

The update is coming sometime next week.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sigher posted:

Weren't we supposed to get monthly updates for MSFS2020? What happened to that? Or did I read wrong?

The update schedule was delayed a bit when the late jan update was pushed to mid february. That update (the UK world update) is coming tomorrow.

The explanation for the delay is that they've started to use some new data sources for their world data and it took them some extra time to integrate the data sources into their development process.

According to their development roadmap, the next update after tomorrow's is scheduled to come out on March 4th, with the France update scheduled to come out on March 30th after that. These dates are subject to change, of course.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wait, wasn't the flap fix going to be in the march 4th world update? Which they've now delayed a week (along with the next update) so they can push this hotfix out earlier. From last week:

February 25th Dev Update posted:

Based on recent feedback from the community about the flaps issue that was introduced in World Update III, we decided to address the issue as quickly as we can and to publish a hotfix next week. As that will require thorough testing, we will be pushing back both Sim Update III and World Update IV by a week.
Did... they just push back their entire update schedule a week so they can fix the flaps two days sooner? :psyduck: