Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Trillhouse posted:

Sounds like DCS is having a 50% off sale to go with the patch.

Ugh, right after I've just gotten back into flight simming and ordered new hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Anyone have a Logitech X-56? I recently impulse purchased a T 160000.M from Thrustmaster after buying Il-2 on sale, but I eventually want to get into DCS and I think the additional inputs on the X 56 will be nice if I get around to upgrading.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Some of the stuff I've read indicates that the Logitech branded X-56 is higher quality than the Saitek "Rhino" version but that all sounds pretty disappointing. I can only find a couple at a reasonable price online anyway.

It's more of a future purchase thing for me, I think next will be TrackIR (if I can find one) or a VR headset.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 5, 2021

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ethanol posted:

I got my gladiator nxt in the mail today. Was a surprise because tracking was showing in japan last night. Anyways, it's pretty great. The damping on the stick is awesome. Rotary encoder for my trim being awesome is a suprise highlight. I suppose one con is it's probably a little less ergonomic

I pulled the trigger on one of these and TrackIR last night. How long did it take from when you placed your order to when it arrived?

Edit: Just got my shipping notification.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 13, 2021

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Unsinkabear posted:

Did Valve really name theirs after Deckard Cain?

More likely Rick Deckard.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

This is maybe a dumb question, but is it not possible to do the optics in software? Tell it your Rx and it calculates and applies an appropriate distortion to the image frame so that one's mistaken misshapen eyeballs correct it? Maybe that's not how optics work because it seems so obvious that someone would have done it if it was possible.

Edit: I decided to look it up and it seems like it's physically impossible given the current pixel-based display technologies we use. Too much information is lost in the blurring process for the eye to reconstruct what it's "supposed" to look like.

The analogy I saw cited a few times was trying to print a book that would be readable by a nearsighted person without changing the font size.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I don’t wholly understand the technology but if it really delivers decent traffic and lively world with more or less working ATC I’d rather just pay them a flat subscription a month for full access than some weird phone-card-esque pricing model even if this works out to slightly more expensive for me as a user. It’s immediately going to detract from the game if I suddenly hit a weird ATC thing akin to the vanilla poo poo where I get switched back and forth and suddenly spend $5 a flight because my flight path shifted between two different centers one too many times, or some bullshit.

BeyondATC: your pitch is that you give an immersive, living, aviation environment in singleplayer without Vatsim. Don’t gently caress it up by making me think about my credit card whenever I hit the mic.

Again maybe I don’t fully understand their thing but at first glance it feels like they drastically overthought the offering with their pricing scheme. You’re already selling to a usually wealthy, captive audience. Don’t get cute!

Just use the free-tier voices, they sound fine to me. Then there's no concern about how many ATCBux you have left.