Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

DX12 w.i.p to coincide with Xbox?

I wonder what the ramifications of that will be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

skooma512 posted:

WORLD

Autogen buildings height has been reviewed
TIN luminance (Sendai, Takamatsu, Tokushima, Tokyo, Utsunomiya, Yokohama)
Did they do trees too? These giant trees make suburban areas look like the god drat jungle.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah that's the kind of stuff I like. I wanna fly an OG 737 with the cigar tube engines around a thunderstorm from like Corpus Christi to Mexico City, landing hot and high while getting jolted all over the place, and navigating only by VOR and NDB and stopwatch. Smooth autopilot cruising at the flight levels is for sissies.

Also look at how smol they are :3:

This was a few years ago, but a bunch of dedicated people got a literal museum piece back up in the air to save it from being cut up to move it.
https://globalnews.ca/news/999859/737-takes-off-from-city-centre-airport-lands-safely-at-new-home/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is there an official place/procedure to report bugs?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Probably a good idea guys.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

With the landing challenges, I understand the idea to touchdown in the little cyan box and smoothly/centered as possible, but also lay on the brakes and stop as fast as possible or does the roll out matter as much?

I like the new little Halloween one. Kind of fun with the failures and the lightning.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sagebrush posted:

eh they're all wrong anyway. the romanian countryside absolutely does not have streetlights like that. also right when you start the challenge there's a line of lamps like 200 feet in the air -- at first I thought "cool, floating lanterns!!" but no lol.

Again, hoping modders can fix this stuff. Overall the world still looks fantastic but i would like a few simple adjustments to e.g. the balance of trees that are generated (there aren't anywhere near enough evergreens), the overall yellow/blue balance of the shading (too yellow), and the density of the streetlights

I was actually going to ask this - not for the halloween challenge, but in general. The highways are all completely lit up like city streets with streetlamps. Any way to tone that down? I assume not? I mean, it's great for VFR as you can see exactly where you are at midnight, but I'd prefer to see a bit of moving traffic and not static lights if possible.

Also, did a flight through the Crowsnest Pass in Alberta last night - area of a big landslide 100+ years ago. Looks pretty drat good.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 2, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I don't do a ton of night flying but I did some last night around my home area.

All the highways in my area, from 4-6 lane majors and 2 lane secondaries look like they have streetlights along their entirety. Even in the middle of nowhere.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lord Stimperor posted:

Belgium has lit highways, and I think parts of France too? Maybe Asobo are judt flexing about their decent roads by acting as though everyone had them.
The only place where we have that, where I live at least, are major city thoroughfares (like ring roads) or highway intersections/going through cities.

Other than that, it's pretty dark in my experience. I wish they were an option to turn off.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is there an official guide or something to read for the G1000 and airliner flight computers?

I know there are several videos on youtube (of massive quality spread) but i was hoping for something to read.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

vanisher posted:

The X-Plane handbook is really helpful, but remember MSFS hasn't brought all this functionality to their G1000. In the other thread some people found this useful and I hope you do too friend.
http://x-plane.com/manuals/G1000_Manual.pdf

Thanks for that!

I find it interesting (maybe I shouldn't) that there is a game like this released, with a tremendous amount of complexity (accurate or not) and literally zero documentation on how to use a lot of the more detailed features.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That "key" clearly doesn't have any notches for the lock tumblers... It's like it's not even a real "key"

Immersion completely ruined! :mad:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The update screwed up my keys for moving my head up down/side side (arrow keys) - anyone else?

Also, why does the Neo keep engaging the autothrottle? Seems to be related to when I get close to TOGA power, you hear a click and the the light is then always lit. I have to turn it off. Am I missing something simple?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for that info on the 320. I guess it is what it is. I do have the 787 and I don't think I've even tried it yet. In the older MSFS I liked the 737 even though I know the model was pretty :shrug: in many ways.

Is there a way to get radio frequencies for NAV/ILS/whatever when enroute? I noticed I clicking on the airport in the inflight map doesn't do anything. Does all of the airport stuff need to be downloaded/printed (?) ahead of time from 3rd party websites? Also, is there a way for the autopilot to program in? For example, I did a high altitude airways ILS last night and when we approached the destination the approach which I was vectored to was not automatically populated, and I had AI doing the radio changes in thoughts that maybe "they" would do it. I should have figured right away when I noticed the XPDR wasn't programmed right from the get go.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Tried the 787, can't steer on the ground worth a poo poo. Is there a NWS switch or something that I can't see for the life of me?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So RE the USA update, is anyone noticing weird elevation artifacts? I can only think it's elevation issues.

This is about 20 or so miles west of Bozeman, MT the metropolis of Whitehall (MT41).

Also, for what it's worth, I have yet to have MSFS crash on me at all. 9900K and 1080ti.

Actually, that might be a lie, it may have once shortly after release - but other than that been super stable.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jammyozzy posted:

Has anyone experienced phantom icing since the latest patch? I was cruising through heavy cloud in the Caravan yesterday and noticed I was slowly losing airspeed as if the thing was icing up, but it was 14°C outside and there was no visual icing on the plane. I cranked the anti-ice up anyway but it made no difference, at one point I was struggling to hold 100kts in level flight at ~1800 trq.

The only thing that makes me think of icing is at one point I popped out between two clouds and soon after started accelerating again, with no change to pitch or power. As soon as I hit the second cloud the airspeed started sloooowly ticking down again. I eventually managed to crawl my way up and out of the clouds and performance returned to normal.
I was actually having that problem when I took that artifact screenshot. I did have a little bit of ice forming on the windows but I started falling like a rock....

GutBomb posted:

Holy poo poo the people on that forum are petulant children. “Literally unplayable” and “asobo ruined my Christmas vacation with this patch” are direct quotes. What a bunch of babies.

Edit: this isn’t a comment on the bug, just the crazy entitled attitude over there. It’s gamefaqs forums from the early 2000s bad.
Yeah, no kidding, just browsing that thread the entitled man children are something else. Yeah. Bugs happen, they'll fix it (and break something else in the process) but holy poo poo :negative:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 28, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I find myself looking at picking up a 5120x1440 monitor

Will my 1080ti be able to power it "OK" or would I need something like a 3090 to have a hope?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 29, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, I'm finally playing with the G1000 and poo poo, and my god, there has to be a better way for entering frequencies and transitions than trying to fiddle with the knobs.. isn't there? I know the mouse wheel works too but holy gently caress, even doing that its sadistic.
Is it possible to somehow type it in?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I bound keyboard keys to Comm and Nav radio standby freq up and down:

Com1: 1/2/3/4
Nav1: Q/W/E/R
Nav2: A/S/D/F
Com2: Z/X/C/F

The outer two keys (i.e. Q/R) control the whole digit up/down, and the inner two keys (i.e. W/E) control the decimal part up/down. This replicates the inner and outer knob function of the real radio knobs.

I also bound F1 - F4 for swapping Active and Standby Frequencies for each Com and Nav radio.
I never considered binding keys :doh: I'll try doing that. I wish you could just type it once "selected"

The switching between standby/active isn't a big deal but tuning drove me looney. Flying a 172 in rough air (west coast of Canada was going through a hell of a storm late yesterday) and getting thrown around in the cockpit, it was not fun.

And I'll check out realsimgear. Thanks!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That looks pretty sweet. I see Garmin actual makes a remote keypad as well - if one of these could be simmed as a pop-up it would probably be a big improvement right there.

Link is a PDF from Garmin

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/GCU475_GCU476_InstallationManual.pdf

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

yeah like that, but even as software emulated popup window would be an improvement.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, uh, is there a reply feature like the past several iterations that I just can't find?

I've made a couple stellarly bad landings I've wanted to replay but have no way to do it that I can find :downs:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sebastian Flyte posted:

The MFS development roadmap lists the replay feature as still in "prototype" - planned for relase sometime this year.

Oh OK. At least I know I'm not just missing it :downs:

Thanks!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

While I have a full Thrustmaster warthog setup, not gonna lie but my circa 1998 Sidewinder Precision Pro with twist rudder is my go to daily stick for 95% of my flying. It's comfortable and just plain works with no fuss.

Also, got a 3090 and 850w power supply. Works awesome BUT haven't even tried FS yet.

Only game I've played so far is Rise of Nations :lol:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Was there an MSFS update coming this week?

Also, question to ask:

Recently upgraded a 1080ti to a 3090. First thing I tried was the challenge, landing the A320 at dusk. I noticed a couple of "hiccups" like frame rate staggers while playing it, mostly shortly after starting it... but other than that it was very smooth.

I don't remember if that happened originally with the ti.

Anyone recall if that's normal?

All I did for uninstall of the old 1080ti was uninstall the drivers, swapped cards, rebooted (windows then automatically did something to give me my proper desktop rez) and then I re-installed the newest drivers as with a clean install option checked.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

OK thanks for the info folks. I seem to recall the odd hiccup with the 1080ti as well, and was darn near tempted to re-install it to compare, but I don't think I'll bother.

Now, to decide if the ti goes into Mrs. Slidebites hand-me-down PC or sell it with the GPU hysteria going on :/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So what's the deal with vectoring for visual approaches?

So did a short flight from CYQL (Lethbridge Alberta) to CYXC (Cranbrook, BC) which basically lies in a valley in the Rockies.

It's very cold outside today, approx -25C and low ice fog.

Do a low level IFR flight plan because I wanted to get vectored into the approach (due to the mountains and low cloud). Do a look at flight and it gets me up to 12K which should be enough and let it automatically give me the approach. Take off, get into the climb and enjoy the gorgeous sunset

Get to my last way point and shortly after ATC says to continue heading and expect 34 visual.

Uh, OK. That's weird, because I know 16 has an ILS. And it's cloudy and miserable. Well, maybe the weather is really different there... a north wind or something.

Get over most of the mountains and then the decent starts to get called.... for 9000, then 8400 then 7100, then 7400, then 9000, then 8100, 7000, 8400, etc, etc. Probably 50-60 altitude changes. It never stopped. Also, the peaks in the area are around 9000 so that's a problem.

Make the descent without dying, get the call that the airport is at my 11 o'clock at 8 miles.

Nothing there but cloud/fog. But, that doesn't stop the co-pilot! Says the airport is in sight and then calls final as well. Great.

Basically, I can only see the approach lights within <1 mile and even then only found it/lined up because of the GPS.

I'm assuming that my experience isn't unique?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I don't think they ever have, but maybe my expectations were too high for this. I prefer visuals if possible to avoid farting with the G1000, but at least with an instrument approach you're probably not going to fly straight into a mountain.

Anyone know if it's an officially acknowledged issue and they're looking at patching?

Also, that sunset with the clouds was great. The screenshot just doesn't do it justice. I still get amazed by the visuals.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thats supposed to be officially done in the next patch isn't it?

Other than... thread title...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but the Vimy Ridge memorial in France looks like a Soviet era apartment block and the park looks like a roman amphitheatre.

:saddowns:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

uvar posted:

Unsurprisingly, there are a lot of cemeteries and memorials in that area. The one in your screenshot is Notre Dame de Lorette/Ablain St.-Nazaire French Military Cemetery; the "weird stripey squares" are full of headstones little crosses. The Canadian Vimy Ridge memorial is about 5km south-east, you might have flown over it without realising because without checking for myself I assume it also looks like a random tower block in a field. Still, isn't France the next target after Asobo releases Perfidious Albion?
:shobon:

Thanks

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

London looks pretty good. Did a short flight from Heathrow to London City Center on ultra. I find the car traffic is hilariously hauling rear end though, like pacing me at 100kts.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I had something similar happen to me before and calibration, which took 10 seconds, fixed it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Squiggle posted:

Maybe some day they'll make the game stable enough to not randomly loving crash as I navigate the main menu.

GOD, sorry, this is just so loving frustrating to try to play this piece of poo poo, taking five minutes to just launch and almost immediately after I try to get the update from the Marketplace it dumps me wordlessly to desktop. I wish I hated this goddamn thing enough to give up.

EDIT: Okay, if I minimize the window immediately after starting the download, don't interact with any other window but Firefox, the download continues and I think it's finally going to let me finish it. Maybe I'll even get to play. gently caress THIS I'm done with this, crashed as soon as I finally took off. I'm sure I'll regret deleting this massive-rear end install later, but for now, I am way too frustrated to keep wasting my life with this and frankly I'd rather have the 150gb back.
I've found MSFS to be remarkably stable compared to what I expected. I have had a grand total of 2 crashes since I bought it. One on trying to do the initial install and the other, just last week for no apparent reason I can think of in the middle of a flight.

Are you overclocking your CPU or GPU at all? Going back to Win98 troubleshooting, but maybe try a fresh install of windows?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Squiggle posted:

As I reinstall this thing again after a rebuild, another bitch: please let Steam deliver this entire package, instead of these disgustingly slow servers that are serving the 150gb in post-install content. Also don't list the download speed in Mbits.

EDIT: Ahhh...but, after all is said and done, I just completed a beautiful flight from Lebanon, NH to Burlington, VT at sunset, without a single hitch. When it works...man. Honestly, thanks for the reinstall Windows suggestion. It's a heavy fix, but it seems to have worked.
Glad it worked out for you :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jammyozzy posted:

IMO it absolutely whips rear end. I was in the same boat as you, decided to try it and now I'm not sure I can go back. Having charts for all the procedures you could want and having them be properly synchronised between the sim, whatever planning software you use and the actual chart you're looking at is wonderful.

There's no subscription so you can literally just try it for a month and see how you go. I'd highly recommend at least giving it a shot.

Stupid question: I have an android tablet which I never use. Is it possible to install it on that and have it on the next next to me when I fly? I'd rather not have open windows on the screen or have to tab between screens.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

kalleth posted:

Yeah, you absolutely can. That's what I've been doing. So long as you're running the "Navigraph Simlink" little thing in your taskbar, it will even show you the live position too.
OK, this interests me. I need to read up on this for sure. Having to pause and either alt-tab out to PDFs or flip through paper charts I printed and stuff is a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ Are those mirrors? Do they function?

kalleth posted:

Here's the final leg of my CJ4 delivery flight :) The galaxy tab runs Navigraph perfectly.

Pay for Navigraph, download and run the Navigraph Charts app on your PC once, so you get the simlink stuff set up in the background, then you can close it.

Then just download and sign in to the Navigraph android app, and you're gravy. Push the little arrow top right (>) to show your position on the map or the chart :)

[edit: also, gently caress, i'm off course]
Thanks for that.

Did someone say there was a free month trial with Navigraph? I didn't see an option on the subrscription page. I might just pay for a year and be done with it, but I would like to try it first.

Oh, do we also know what android version is required? My galaxy tab I hope to use is about 3-4 years old.