Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
if what caused my flight to crash two hours in was the VFR map being open the entire time then i guess i can just go without that since i have navigraph installed anyway and it pulls the location in there in a better map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That probably isn't it? I believe the VFR map crash happens when you try to open it. So keeping it open is actually the preferable option. I've had other crashes too while it was open, but they appear to be unrelated. One of the crashes happened when I got locked into looking at a point of interest and I was messing with my controller configuration in windows to see if it was sending any incorrect inputs, for instance.

Yeah I had heard that was the way to prevent the crash so I opened it at the very start and kept it in a small window next to the upper left and I was just randomly approaching Fuji when the game suddenly froze and quit after about 5 seconds, no message or anything. I was trying to look up ILS approaches into Haneda (not sure if RNAV precision approaches are implemented properly yet) so i could plug that in but I don't think i had gotten to that point in game yet.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Any chance someone will make software for this that will integrate into flight sim?

https://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/14236

flight sims aside that is how a smartwatch should look, not the ugly rear end apple watch blob

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

JerikTelorian posted:

Yeah the issue is that the taxiways are procedurally named and marked so even with charts they can be hard to understand.

For the most part when I look at the Navigraph taxi maps they line up mostly correct with what the default procedural airports show in game. There are some errors I've noticed and sometimes the ATC has some weird routing errors with taxi routes but I have had good luck going off the external airport maps.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I tried PSVR once and it made me motion sick for perhaps the first time in my life, I'll wait for the Holodecks personally

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Weed Wolf posted:

Are you in dev mode? Turning that off got the logbook working again. You can also keep the FPS counter enabled while turning dev mode off (which is all I was using it for).

Logbook has been working perfectly fine for me (except when my game crashes on final approach into LAX).

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I have noticed that, even with the FlyByWire mod for the A320, the fuel usage seems to be higher than what the flight computers show. The total amount of fuel burned on the screen is not consistent with what is shown on the actual fuel menu and the effective range seems to be fairly shorter than what the A320neo should be able to achieve.

Meanwhile on the 787 the fuel burn seems to be literally a third of what it should be. One hell of an airplane you made Boeing, the range on this thing is like 36 hours of flight!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I feel like it is supposed to be Bing maps but it just never loads in the higher resolution.

The Manual Cache screen does this and for some reason it loads really choppy.

While we're on the world map menu topic, it is getting real frustrating that the lat/long oceanic coordinates half the time simply don't want to be deleted if you want to pick a different route. I'd rather use the world map planner than the FMS in game at this point because it's quicker (yeah yeah not realism enough i suppose) but when an oceanic route from simbrief just can't be put in because the game refuses to let you delete a waypoint 500NM off the path it's a bit frustrating.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

This kind of poo poo is why I'm not upset when the sim developer ignores most of the community requests. They should make an effort to fix things that are obviously broken, but if they start to go down the rabbit hole of implementing what people ask for, it's suicide. I'd rather try to fix the strings and the trees myself and let them focus on making a good engine that runs smoothly and reliably, which is the one thing that all these spergs never seem to care about

I don't think people realize or care how bad it makes them look when they cry and whine when a new bug pops up instead of matter-of-factly stating the bug that happens with constructive information on what their circumstances were. Can't imagine a dev really wants to put effort into a bug when someone screams that the game is useless and a waste of money when the AP wobbles a bit from side to side.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Oh yeah this is a real big one. One of the things that CLOD was supposed to implement -- don't know if they actually did, but it would help explain the lovely performance -- was a complete physically simulated engine model. All 16 pistons running on their conrods, valves opening and closing, fuel going in and exhaust coming out, air going into the supercharger, yada yada. The idea being that if you were shot in the engine, yes, the bullet would damage specific components and create ~~realistic~~ engine failures, like power loss because a cylinder was punched open or oil pressure dropping because a line was cut, as opposed to just rolling a die and failing some subsystems which is IMMERSION BREAKING and I CAN TOTALLY TELL.

agh get hosed

Lol what do they want, ANSYS running in the background just for the engine

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
The FlyByWire mod for the A320 is quite impressive and I'm having a blast flying it lately. Their team is pretty impressive, a pretty active discord server with something like a dozen IRL A320 pilots who are contributing their knowledge to the devs. They just showed off a prototype of a system that lets you import a simbrief plan directly into the MCDU instead of manually typing everything in.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Messadiah posted:

It's been a while since I've played, updated everything and am still a bit disappointed.
Crashed twice on me when trying to take off from YVR and then when it finally didn't crash I found out that Vancouver is no longer photo-realistic for buildings, and it kinda looks like poo poo. Anything I can do to fix why it's not pulling the photo-realistic data for the city?

Check your data settings, they might have randomly flipped off the photogrammetry option.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

TrackIR or a homebrew alternative really is clutch for flying with situational awareness. Being able to quickly glance at your instruments and then back out the window is huge. It's honestly a more suitable alternative to VR for most people anyway.

I don't know how well VR would work if you have a ton of buttons to press and don't have muscle memory for them without needing to look at your yoke/stick

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Which software were you using on the PC side? I use open track on the PC side and with it you can define the bounds and the curves that each head motion takes. Personally I disable roll because it’s annoying, and I have it set up so if I look at my monitor’s edge I can see the end of that side’s wing. The further from the middle of the screen I’m looking at the more the camera moves to to that particular wing. It works out pretty well. Also add a tiny dead zone so you’re not picking up all the tiny movements your head makes when you’re at the center.

In x-plane you can pick up the VR hand controller and interact with the buttons in the cockpit just like you can with the mouse in MSFS. I haven’t seen the MSFS VR betas but I’d be shocked if they didn’t take that approach.

That makes sense but if you have like a HOTAS and keyboard then not being able to see what you're doing with your hands seems like it would make it harder. I constantly have to look down and what I'm doing because I don't know the controls well enough through pure muscle movement.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

it's never worked correctly to my understanding, so maybe the fs forums just boiled over or something

me, i just want them to fix the loving trees so that yosemite has evergreens instead of this jungle poo poo and the deciduous ones lose their leaves in winter. they have a really well implemented snow shader with a real-time depth slider but it sits on top of these puffy leafy green trees. ugh. also the rivers don't freeze over so you can't land on the ice. double ugh

supposedly they'll be doing seasons in an update sometime early next year so here's looking forward to that
Before the patch the AP system would have a problem staying level in flight if you have a strong wind, it was probably just a mistuned PID setting. Now the AP flat out refuses to follow your flight plan and puts you in a permanent right turn death spiral.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Merv Burger posted:

Yeah, it at least pretended to work, but with the most recent patch, it would only really work if you loaded a flight plan in the planner and spawn yourself on the runway. And even that isn't a guarantee, I've had it fail to follow the flight path when doing that.

A fix for it is also in the dev branch for the A32NX mod, so you can use their downloader to get the latest dev version and be good to go.

Also, this is all the fix is:

lol

Incredible

Those A32NX guys are putting in real good work, I knew they'd crack this case eventually but lol that it was just something like this.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

Wait what? Glass panels are rendered on actual instances of chrome? Lol gently caress software devs are lazy and stupid.

With a 3090 and 9700k at all ultra 1440p ultra wide, I can get about 65-70 FPS at cruise if I'm external to the cockpit. Going into the cockpit even with Low refresh rate drops that down to 45, with really weird frame time behavior because of the thread managing the panel refresh rate.

That said it definitely seems to make the modders' jobs easier.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Holy poo poo the people on that forum are petulant children. “Literally unplayable” and “asobo ruined my Christmas vacation with this patch” are direct quotes. What a bunch of babies.

Edit: this isn’t a comment on the bug, just the crazy entitled attitude over there. It’s gamefaqs forums from the early 2000s bad.

It must be nice to be in such a comfortable spot in life where your biggest source of anger is a bug in a video game. Especially given everything else going on this year.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
At cruise altitude at least, 4x time compression in an A320 (which would be mach ~2.5 I guess) doesn't seem to be giving any problems with data downloading.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Rot posted:

Not nearly as realistic as the RealSimGear stuff but definitely not nearly as expensive (I paid less than $100 CDN), is to use a midi controller like the X-Touch Mini and an app like AxisAndOhs.

8 rotary dials, each with a button function, plus 16 buttons and dual layers means lots of functions can be handled. Through RPN scripting and button combos in AxisAndOhs you can expand even further.

This is my current layout, I use it in MSFS all the time and do 90% of my flights never touching the keyboard or trying to mouse around on a bouncing instrument panel.

For example, if I want to change the target altitude by 100ft, I turn the ALT encoder. But if I want to change the alt by 1000ft, I press and hold in the dial as I turn it. Similar to the nav radios and switching between MHz and kHz.

The author of AAO has added the ability to map to MSFS HTML_event variables, which means the MFD and PFD functions are now available.

This will be my new template, once I get the kinks worked out:

I started writing a bit of a guide to AAO + X-Touch Mini on the MSFS forums but it almost immediately got out of date, plus the users on that forum make me grumpy and saps my good will. I've since been working with the author of AAO to improve and expand some features. Hopefully things will get to a point where I can get down to writing a proper guide.

Holy crap that's awesome, I'll definitely be on the lookout for one of these things. I bought a Streamdeck thinking I could use that with one of the event handlers but it's definitely more annoying to use.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Bedurndurn posted:

You can't actually control the garmin stuff in MSFS can you? I haven't flown anything since October, but last I'd played there weren't actually binds in the sim for the Garmin specific controls. So you can adjust the AP stuff (heading, alt, etc) and radios, but not like pages on the MFD or the knob that does the airport code input for your flight plans.

There aren't direct binds but there are API hooks in the game that let an external app directly manipulate those variables, IIRC.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Fayez Butts posted:

The good news is HDR is broken anyway and the game rarely looks better with it on.

isn't HDR on PC pretty much broken anyway, windows apparently just does a poor job of it

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

2Jets posted:

I did it my way.

I think I'll go get that lottery ticket.

Does using a modded airplane not allow you to qualify for this? I've flown so many A320 flights that should qualify for this but not gotten it yet, but I use the FBW mod.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

stinky ox posted:

Good lord this is so much nicer in VR. Landing the drat plane is so much better when you're not having to choose between looking straight out the front or pressing the hat switch to look straight out the side whilst being very much too low to be able to see out over the nose, or just slightly too low if you press the change view button at the right time... when you can just look out the plane like a normal person lining up for your final approach and judging when to flare becomes natural and intuitive instead of something you can never get quite right. You actually start to get a feel for flying the plane. It's great. Flying the sim is so much more enjoyable.

The curse of it though is that it's really making me want a new PC with a GPU that humans can't actually buy yet :(

If it makes you feel better I gained, at best 30% better performance at cruise altitude going from a 1080Ti to a 3090, with being lower to the ground in a city improving even less. So much of this is CPU bound at this point.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I only recall a 10 year support road map. MSFS2020 still needs tons of work, so I hope updates will be big and include lots of fixes and optimization. We know the devs are at least busy with the Xbox Series X port, and fixing up all of the really inaccurate landmarks and terrain that still exists. Some of it will take a very long time to complete. We know there is also co-op multiplayer coming too. Hoping for better SSD usage for faster load times, and better optimization for frame rate, but I have a feeling we are going to just have to wait a few more graphic card generations before we can play this with acceptable frame rate.
I don't think GPU is the problem at the moment, with a 3090 at 3440x1440 my GPU usage sits at 50-70% below 15000 feet with everything on Ultra. In the performance profiler MainThread tends to be the biggest issue and it seems like they have a lot of optimization to do with how the CPU uses multiple threads.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Boy i'm sure glad Windows doesn't let you opt out of updates unless you have Pro edition anymore! Really love being forced to break my system with a lovely "feature update"

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Let me tell you about these 60% keyboards where I don't know how the gently caress you can do anything productive with that poo poo.

this is absolutely disgusting

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

JayKay posted:

The WT CJ4 is probably the closest thing we have to a study level aircraft in MSFS2020...

...and it just keeps getting better.

Seriously, between their discord and how-to videos on Youtube, it's legit.

It's a real shame the Citation Longitude is hidden in encrypted files so modders can't easily get in there (the Garmin mods do somewhat improve things to be fair). Would love that 3500 NM range.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

PT6A posted:

Is Navigraph worth it to get all the missing approaches and junk? By which I mean: I want the missing approaches, will Navigraph have them or will I spend money and be frustrated with it?

Having all the charts easy to access in one place consistently is pretty nice and if you play it often it's probably worth the 8 euro a month (what's up with flight simming being so euro-dominated anyway?)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Zero One posted:

I once had it tell me to descend to 5000 feet over the Channel Islands while inbound to LAX.

Buzzing Malibu in a 787 was fun but I didn’t hit any mountains.

Possible issue: on that flight I was testing not planning an arrival and just putting it into the FMS after ATC assigned one. On future flights I always planned a STAR and approach from the world map. ATC hasn't given me weird directions since I put everything into the sim at the start.

ATC seems to work much better if you plan it in world map beforehand. If you try to do it in-plane it doesn't really know wtf, real unfortunate.

Anyone else considering the CRJ when it launches on the 16th?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Speed brakes do indeed get in the way of going fast, watch more Sonic and try again

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think it's a case of them not wanting to make a great simulator, more that the people there likely know how to do the heat blur and the reflections, but they weren't experts on the intricacies of how the glass cockpit of a 747 works. So they made a game that looks great and they are still working on the simulation of everything in the plane part.

They basically said from the outset that it was going to primarily be this and that third parties would step in for the truly detailed aircraft. Which is how it's been for every other sim I guess? I don't see how this is really any different.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Got around to buying the CRJ and trying the tutorial fight from Paderborn to Munich. Took about an hour to figure out how to start and set up the thing, and the ILS glideslope tried slamming me straight into the ground, but I managed to land in one piece! Also, the thrust reversers really do not like the X52 config - I had to hold down the F2 key on the keyboard to avoid turning off the thrust reversers on landing.

Hell of a lot more involved than the A320, that's for sure. Also, glad that they rolled back that horrid performance issue from the recent update. It's still not great but I'll take a solid 35 FPS at 1440p ultrawide ultra settings instead of 10 FPS.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Replaced my X52 with the Thrustmaster Airbus stick + throttle quadrant and boy it makes flying the CRJ a lot easier. Now if only I could find that add-on pack that adds flaps and speed brakes without paying 200% markup. Seems pretty difficult to find it.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

One in the Bum posted:

Are there issues with using AP when the plane is spawned mid-fight? I wanted to practice landings in the a320 so I loaded it up from the map with a destination airport selected, no departure and an ILS selected. Spawned mid air a few miles out. But as soon as I enabled the AP, it banked hard left and just spiraled out of control until it crashed. I was following a youtube guide that made it look simple so I was just trying to see if I could replicate the process.

Set your joystick deadzones to around 5-10%, I've heard this fixes the AP banking hard issue for a lot of people.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

"Last but not least, check your altimeter" is the perfect line to crash on that I can't help but wonder if it was intentional

Honestly they should keep that, it's a funny way to end it and drive home the point

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Zero One posted:

Big A32NX update

This is the one that enables proper autoland right?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I've finally set aside the time in a long bit to fly again and picked up the Aerosoft CRJ for MSFS. Does anyone else have it? I might just not understand the workflows of the autopilot but it feels like its constantly porpoising both vertically and horizontally. I kind of assumed vertically was due to my throttle management but I was very careful to monitor it and make gentle adjustments.

It's a huge bummer because the FlyByWire a320 is so much better, but the A320 gets pretty boring to fly more than once in awhile because airbus is so heavily automated. The CRJ would be a good niche when I want to fly tubes but still feel like I'm doing more than punching a UI.

Check your joystick deadzones, they should be at least 10%. The CRJ uses the stock autopilot code internally and that has some problems under certain circumstances.

Having a lot more fun flying the CRJ for hour or so hops and doing everything manually, for sure. Only problem is I can never quite dial in the exact throttle setting I need to hold at 0.74 so if I have to go up for a snack or drink I come back to either too fast or too slow.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

ChocNitty posted:

I just got a new gaming rig and this game, and the performance isnt good compared to my hardware thats running it.

Which graphics settings are the most taxing?
Going to assume you're talking about FS2020. It's hard to tell what would work for you without knowing your rig, but at the same time, keep in mind that the game has a lot of optimization still needed and runs pretty CPU-bound in a lot of cases.

For example I have a 3090, 9700k, and 32 GB of RAM and at 3440x1440 and a mix of Ultra and High settings I get around 25-40 FPS on the ground (GPU usage is like 50-70%, very underused at this point), going up to around 60 FPS at cruise altitude. Of course it depends on what plane you're flying (airliners, especially the A320 with the FlyByWire mod, hit performance really hard in the cockpit - any non-screen cockpits that uses gauges mostly will usually run much better) and what scenery's around you at the moment (if you've got a lot of custom stuff around you like airports then expect it to perform worse). Weather especially is a rough one - if you're flying through clouds and have that setting up to High or Ultra, you'll get hit quite a bit on the GPU end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Jumped back into the A32NX project from the CRJ for the first time in a while and holy poo poo i'm not sure what's up but I'm getting 20-30 FPS at a mix of ultra/high settings at 3440x1440, and I have a 9700k and a 3090. GPU utilization is around 40-60%, real rough.

Maybe I just need to get a Ryzen 5900x after all.