Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My airport seems to have sunk 2 miles into the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My rule of thumb is to forget about it and then suddenly remember, and see that there is a huge disparity between tanks and switch.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Having a trim wheel on my t16000 hotas is pretty nice. But I do sometimes accidentally spin it when putting my hand on the throttle and my plane suddenly noses down.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

skooma512 posted:

I had that mapped too at first but it seemed way too twitchy. Like, I generally only need a degree or two one way or the other, but one notch over and my pitch is 10 degrees from the horizon. Now the dial is the speed brake and I just trim with the hat.

Also the slider on the stick is mapped to trim for me, but I don't really use it unless I want to correct the autopilot going stupid because it too, is way too much too fast.

I had issues until I realized that the game was putting a deadzone on it. I removed the deadzone, since there isn't a centering spring, and then I flattened the curve a bit and it's great now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Any chance someone will make software for this that will integrate into flight sim?

https://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/14236

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did they put in the forest cities? They call them forest cities. The trees explode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
From wikipedia: Wind direction is reported by the direction from which it originates.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know if it works for every plane, but it works for the cub. You can tell which way the wind is blowing by going into the third person camera. The camera always points in the direction you are traveling. If you are flying into a crosswind, your plane rotates into the wind a bit, and causes you to look at it slightly from the side. I had a strong enough crosswind once that I went into third person and my plane was pointed about 20 degrees to the right and I was sliding sideways above the ground pretty much. I was flying along off to the left of the highway. I was pointed at the highway but kept flying alongside it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
:siren: Don't let Sagebrush read this post. :siren:

I came up with this flight that is very illegal, but flies past a couple of cool things I saw on a trip to the Grand Canyon a few years ago. And I like flying through canyons. The images are from google maps and two of them are photos I took.

Are you ready to commit some sky crimes? There is a passenger that needs a ride to a nondescript airstrip, and can't risk being seen driving through Page, AZ. He paid a lot of money for this trip, so it should be worth the risk. Technically we will be doing a sightseeing flight around the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area and the Paria Canyon Vermilion Cliffs Wilderness Area. You will be departing from 22UT, Larkspur, in a Cessna 152. This is a private airstrip that is also technically a road.

Before taking off set NAV1 to 112.8 and NAV2 to 117.6. Set CDI1 to 310 degrees and CDI2 to 295 degrees. Depending on which way you take off, head straight towards US89 or turn around and head towards US89. Follow the highway southeast (to the right). Along the way, keep an eye on CDI2. It will be lined up, drift away, and then line back up. When it lines back up, you will see that the highway veers off to the left. Turn your transponder off, turn to a heading of 150 and start getting low. Straight ahead you will see two entrances to Glen Canyon, take the one that's on the right. When you get into the canyon, take a right when you see the Colorado river. Keep following the river and you will quickly go through Horseshoe Bend, wave to the tourists on your left.

As you continue on, the river will eventually veer to the west, and the canyon will open up and you are now in Marble Canyon. Follow the river but stay low to avoid radar contacts. As the Colorado River heads back to the southwest, you will fly past Lee's Ferry, will be in the Grand Canyon Special Flight Rules Area (GCN SFRA). It's restricted from the surface to 7999' MSL, so you don't want to be seen.

You will eventually come across Navajo Bridge which is where US89A crosses Marble Canyon. You have to fly over this bridge. You can't fly under it or you will slam into the ground and crash. While flying over the bridge, you can look to your right and see the visitors center for the Navajo Bridge. Once past the bridge, dive back into the canyon and continue on.

After about 7 miles, you will come across a fork. The river goes off to the left, you are going off to the right, along South Fork Creek. Don't be confused by Badger canyon, which is at about the halfway point. That's more of a four way intersection, you are looking for a Y. Follow this branch to another fork and take the right fork again and start climbing. When this branch ends, turn left to a heading of 215. You should see a dirt strip straight ahead. This is our destination, AZ03 CLiff Dwellers.

Drop off the passenger and then get ready to head home. CDI1 should already be set to 310, so you just need to set CDI2 to 275. Once that is done, you're set. Take off again and head back to that fork you just came out of and head back into the canyon. Just follow the canyon all the way back up, making sure to fly over Navajo Bridge, and continue until you get back to Lees Ferry. When you get near Lees Ferry, CDI1 should be lining up. When it lines up, turn left to heading 310 towards Lonely Dell Ranch and keep flying that heading. As soon as you turn, start climbing. You need to get to 6500' and it will likely take the entirety of this leg to get there. You are now clear of the GCN SFRA and are now in Paria Canyon Vermillion Cliffs Wilderness Area. You can fly here, you just can't land anywhere, drop anything, or jump out of your plane. You can turn your transponder back on now. You'll be dealing with a lot of gusts here, so you will really have to fly the plane to stay lined up on CDI1. While you're doing that, keep an eye on CDI2, which should already be set to 275. Once CDI2 lines up, turn to heading 045 and you should see Larkspur once again. Start your descent and head in for a landing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just turn on the taxi tape. I started out listening to ATC and writing down what they told me and then looking it up on a map. What the game told me has been wrong most of the time or makes no sense.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I need to do a fresh install sometime to clear out all the poo poo I've installed. I've been putting it off because I've got a bunch of windows store games that I'd have to uninstall first or have to gently caress with permissions to delete them again. Microsoft needs to fix that poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think if you delete the folder for the 172, it will redownload it and it should show up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

sigher posted:

Honestly, when the hell can we expect any Flight Sim Hardware to be in stock ever again? poo poo's getting ridiculous.

Star Wars Squadrons just came out and people are buying up sticks for that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is there an auto setting for what regional server you connect to? It might be that it switched servers on you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What kind of packing tape? Like a matte tape? Seems like glossy packing tape would be sticky too. I just put some grease on the rails and it's doing ok so far.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I mean the back part seems like it can have a lot of friction, but maybe not against metal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know about AI, but you can not come in contact with other players.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Give me a DC-3

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't think it's that you fly into a wall. Turn off damage and see what happens. When I've tried to fly under the Eiffel Tower as well as a bridge somewhere else, I flew under, was slammed into the ground, and then bounced up and kept flying. I think there is something wonky with their wind model that causes the wind to shove your plane into the ground when you fly under something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I know that navy pilot got in trouble for drawing a dick n balls with his flight path a couple years ago, but can you get in trouble for flying writing out "gently caress you tim" with your flight path over Tim's house.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe you have to add a certain amount of cargo weight or something. Though I am cracking up at the idea of skooma landing in Oklahoma, turning around and saying "Are you guys ready for the D&D conve- poo poo"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

skooma512 posted:

lmao I can't believe the gucci planes are all broken AND you can't even mod them.

Would have happily shelled out for it too if the game wasn't busted. Don't even remember what GAs even are there, but I want planes gimme gimme gimme.

You can't mod the premium planes?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The thing about speeding up simulation speed is that you can just speed up your jail sentence you're serving for increasing the simulation speed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Romes128 posted:

So I just got off the phone with Microsoft support and they said since I downloaded the game via Game Pass and upgraded to the Deluxe version I would have to re-subscribe to Game Pass again (I cancelled it a couple weeks ago since I don't play any Xbox games anymore).

So I either have to get Game Pass again or buy the game again. Fuckin' sucks.

Wait, doesn't upgrading to the deluxe version cost the full price of the deluxe version if you have gamepass?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm really glad I didn't do that then. That's stupid as hell that they charge you full price plus you have to keep subscribing to gamepass.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Xakura posted:

Uh, you thought you would get the game+upgrade for the price of the upgrade? Truly a mystery why microsoft wouldn't allow that.

I don't think you understand. The full price of the deluxe edition is 90 dollars. If you have game pass and go to try to buy the deluxe upgrade in game, the price is 90 dollars. If it was just an upgrade, it would cost 30 dollars and require you to keep game pass going for the 60 dollar base version.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How did you pause? By hitting the pause button or going to the menus? Hitting the pause button keeps physics running and leads to weird things happening when you unpause.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, you have to look to the left. There will be a two roads with a bunch of lights, and the strip is between those.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's nothing in Antarctica to go to. You can fly to that base, but it's just a large warehouse on a flat plain. Nothing interesting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Wait.... Does Microsoft let you buy the "upgrade" when you have the Game Pass version? I started on Game Pass and then just wanted to get the game outright and cancel Game Pass. I see the receipt email says "340 FlightSim Credits" instead of an edition of the game. I knew I should have just bought the game on Steam and redownloaded it. I somehow thought it would be easier to just keep the game on Windows Store. What a loving joke. Should be fun to call Microsoft tomorrow. If they make it even remotely difficult to resolve this I'm just going to call AmEx and do a charge back.

Warning that doing a charge back could end up with your account being deactivated/banned.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I feel like it is supposed to be Bing maps but it just never loads in the higher resolution.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Don't worry, we will soon have various nerds saying the name of literally every airport in the world.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Did they even want to fly the planes?

I'm assuming that they had already flown all the planes, got bored, and then decided the best way to deal with that would be to dream up all kinds of poo poo they could do and then demand the devs implement them because "it would be so easy".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Oh I just remembered another thing about CLOD: the Spitfire negative-G behavior. When the game came out, within days people were howling on the forums that the Spitfire's engine cut out way too early under negative G loads, and it was ruining their flying. It was obvious how wrong it was because these people had been flying virtual Spitfires for years and no other flight sim had ever screwed it up this badly! Some of the posters probably had more hours in simulated Spitfires than any real pilot in history had in the real plane! How could the developers make such a stupid and obvious mistake!!!

...then after a week or so the devs made a post that documented how they had hired an actual survivor Spitfire and had the pilot take it up and perform negative-G maneuvers with recording instruments aboard, and they'd used the data to make by far the most accurate Spitfire ever simulated. Every other game was wrong. Oops

Sim nerds get way too far up their own asses. When multiple sims do the same wrong thing, they start thinking it must be real. Racing sims used to have slippery as hell tires and people assumed that must be realistic because it's hard to drive. Then a sim would come out and people complain about the cars being on rails and the cars are too easy to drive, so they must be fake. Hard to drive means it's real. And then the devs bring up how they spent a bunch of time modeling how tires actually behave, and they hired an actual professional driver who has driven most of these cars in real life and he says it's good.

People don't realize that GT cars are supposed to be easy to drive. They are mostly driven by rich amateurs who want drive car fast, so they have lots of assists that keep the rich customer alive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

pyrotek posted:

I've been looking around for Flight Simulator benchmarks on the new Zen 3 processors, and haven't found much. This is the best I've found.

Looks like the 5600x is probably the best processor for Flight Simulator. Seems to be a little faster than the 10600k, and going off of other games there will probably be very little difference between the 5600x and the higher-end models.

The 5800X should be similar since they are both the same chip, but the 5600 has two of the cores disabled.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

This is what annoyed me about the hate Project CARS got for their physics. Anything Ian Bell got is probably warranted, but everything else? If you have Ben Collins, which does do professional racing and stunt driving in movies, saying it's good enough, then GTPlanet can go gently caress itself.

He was also the stig. He's probably driven more cars than nearly every other person on Earth.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

piratepilates posted:

Is there any literature or research of damage suffered to engines historically? I'd imagine it's easy enough to just randomly choose between:
- engine is fine
- engine is running slower
- engine doesn't work at all

when you get hit, and that'd closely enough match what it was like if an engine got hit.

I doubt it really matters. It's not like fighter pilots would know that the bullet hit cylinder #3 and now the manifold pressure is dropping and now he knows that he has 30 less horsepower so he needs to change his angle of climb to maintain speed or whatever. They would just check their gauges and make sure everything is within acceptable ranges and keep going. As long as the plane is still flying, exactly what part of the engine got shot up is a problem for the maintainers, not the pilot. And the pilot definitely isn't getting back to the air base and saying "bullshit, I know for a fact the bullet came in from this direction and should have it the intake manifold, not the magneto"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I want to crash into my friend as he's driving to work.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is that new? I never had to do that when it came out. Maybe they are trying to make the initial download smaller for people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Mine would suddenly turn off when changing between internal and external cameras. Sometimes it would get stuck in the external mode and have a person modeled in the cockpit and the screens off.