Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Trillhouse posted:

I finally felt confident in my mastery of the A-10 to start working through The Enemy Within campaign. (Mostly I have trouble with the CDU, which does not cooperate with my brain in any way and I just kinda freeze up if I have to enter a new waypoint.)

Third mission, spot terrorist camp. Tell my flight to stay back, I want first crack at these guys. Do my strafing run, then tell them on comms to go ahead and start blasting.

No response. They all crashed into the mountains without firing a shot. I finish the job myself, fly home, their ghost voices haunting me as if this were a normal mission, and land. Mission complete.

Check the ED forums, apparently the AI can't handle mountains...

Every once in awhile I'm tempted to crack open DCS again to see if I can muster some satisfaction from it, but posts like this remind me to not bother.

In other flight sim news, I just got an RTX 3070 and flying FS2020 in VR is 100% what I was hoping for... so enjoyable doing those bush flights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

AirGoons run DCS missions weekly and play sporadically during week, too on Reddit's servers. The above situation makes the Enemy Within campaign definitely frustrating, but it isn't in any way the standard representation of what DCS is or how it works today. Most campaigns run and work just fine, and Enemy Within's mountain bug is pretty known and should be fixed. The Raven One campaign for F-18 is considered like extra good by everyone, as an example. The Reforger for F-14, the Georgian War for F-15C are just some of the fantastic campaigns.

For sure, I don't mean to crap on others positive experiences with it, just with my current circumstances I can only really do single player and have pretty limited time to invest so when I DO put the effort in to do some 'serious flight simming' having co-pilots crash into mountains, or flying through the earth when I go to land, or CTD's are just frustrating.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
Anyone know what the overlapping upside down V symbols on VFR sectional charts represents?

It looks close to the group obstruction symbol, but doesn't have dots in the middle.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

Squiggle posted:

It does look different on that map, but the dots are at the same point as the middle tips of the Vs, so yeah, I'm going with group obstruction under 1000ft misprints.

Ok thanks for the input!
It's from Fltplan.com - I've noticed some visual errors on there at least in Canada, so that makes sense.

Edit: I actually wonder if it's just completely messed up for Canada, here's another one near the border, where in the US it's shown properly.

Kashwashwa fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 11, 2022

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, hah. Nav Canada VNC charts are different from American sectional charts. You can see where they switch from US to Canadian charts in your screenshot above. I don't know what the Canadian symbology is. Ask one of the Canadian pilots like PT6A?

I thought the colors looked wrong.

Ah, didn't realize they were actually different organizations making different charts... I eventually found this after searching for the canadian chart legend:

Why the hell they didn't just keep it consistent with below the border is beyond me.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

JayKay posted:

Airline Flight Attendant Simulator VR

I was disappointed this wasn't actually Thrill of the Fight 2

Does it include hand shaking scenarios?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2zC3dKQ42Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

What if it is real people but they are so bad at speaking that people think it's AI.

I feel like I've definitely heard eurojank games a long time ago with voice acting that sounded like terrible AI voice.