Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
haikyuu is unironically really good and has a ton of symbolism in it that i adore.

the upcoming match is my favorite in the series as well so lets goooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

I keep forgetting at what point the anime left off on. It's just now getting to VS the Miya Twins??? Is "To the Top" going to be the last season (with split cours) or are they going to launch a final batch once this game is over to cover the rest of the manga?

The most popular match in the manga (per one of the popularity polls, so take it with a grain of salt) is still yet to come so I'd be very, very shocked if they didn't continue on. Haikyuu is ludicrously popular, I don't really see it not being completed.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

That Miya Atsumu sure is good, eh? Let's take a look at what he got done in this episode:

1 - Service ace on Nishinoya
2 - First touch set
3 - Perfect first step acknowledged by every setter watching, including Kageyama
4 - Oh, and he decided, on a whim, to replicate the greatest weapon in Karasuno's arsenal to end the episode

Our boys have a hell of a fight on their hands!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Since there is no manga thread, I'd like to post some symbolism that is present in this match that I like a lot. I'll try not to give away too many manga spoilers, so more intrepid folks can read, but if you care I think it's best to avoid.

Inarizaki is meant to represent "the better Karasuno" in my opinion, and this match is very much about Karasuno overcoming themselves, to some degree. The most obvious visual queue here is of course the uniforms, with Inarizaki wearing the black that we've come to associate Karasuno with so closely.

With the setters, we have Atsumu and Kageyama, who mirror one another very closely. Atsumu seems just one step ahead of Kageyama in everything, and there will be moments in this match where Kageyama needs to overcome his last mental hurdles to stay in it and compete to the very end (remember Atsumu's line about Kageyama being a "goody-two-shoes", well that will be put to the test in a major way).

This is also the match where we start to see real evolution for Hinata, as he begins to receive, which is the next major arc for his personal growth. Realizing that spiking isn't all there is to volleyball, and he goes from a sharp sword to a more general all-rounder, throwing Washijou's words back at him more and more, becoming a more complete human being (and more directly setting up his rivalry, of course, with Hoshiumi).

There is also the partnership aspect - there is a direct, meaningful battle going on right now between Kageyama/Hinata and the Miya Twins. The latter are literal brothers, can the former hope to compete with only a years worth of playing together?

Ultimately I think the questions this match intends to answer are: "Has Karasuno truly become the greatest challenger?" and, more individually, "Has Kageyama fully ascended into his new role as the King of the Court?"

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

macabresca posted:

That's an interesting reading!

Tbh I didn't like this match very much when I got to it in the manga. I thought that Inarizaki didn't represent anything new, they were just some super tough guys to beat. I thought the match was lacking emotional stakes, other than 'we have to win because it's our last chance.' But the way you framed it makes a lot of sense and now I feel kinda dumb for not seeing it earlier :sweatdrop: Watching this season with that in mind should be entertaining, even if I still prefer other matches.

Also, the new eye-catchers are cute I guess, but I really miss the old ones.

I'm glad you thought it interesting!

MAJOR manga spoilers in this block:

I read the Kamomedai match as the "what Karasuno ought to be" matchup in many ways. There are a lot of wrap ups to storylines mid match, like how Tsuki finally works well with Hinata at the same time he acknowledges his brother in the audience with the Little Giant (and even gives him a thumbs up!) getting past the embarassment felt long ago which is a great character moment, and the stories emphasis on "consistent, well-rounded effort is really put into focus. I can't wait till we eventually get there, it's my second favorite match definitely.

The Nekoma one in between I don't have any real read on, definitely feel it's just a great ol shonen rival story.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I don't mind the season very much but being as big a fan as I am of the manga, I feel a lot is lost in translation especially when compared with the utterly wonderful production on S1-3.

Maybe slight manga spoilers? but very light if so:

this match is supposed to be, almost bar none, the hardest that karasuno has played. in the manga there's a really good atmosphere of "we are hosed" through much of it, with the twins able to do anything special that kageyama and hinata do, and then everyone else just being...better. it gives a really neat feeling of dread to me, and makes for the end of the match to be super high octane (there are some sick moments coming, still) but the anime just hasn't done a great job adapting that imo. this feels like "a longer tsubakihara match" more than "these guys are better than shiratorizawa"

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Meeks Sisu posted:

I laughed so hard when Kageyama refused to acknowledge Hinata's receive. This anime is just incredible at putting me through the emotional wringer.

their relationship is written so, so well

really enjoyed that episode and thought it did those moments a lot of justice. the osamu reset and then atsumus laugh were brilliant

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Bullbar posted:

Atsumu laughing and Kenma's little moment are my two favourites of the episode

yeah i really liked the cut to kenma, it is a really good character moment despite him having no lines and it being like three frames long

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Bullbar posted:

https://imgur.com/a/gRrQwlU

Who's this dude watching?

hyakuzawa - he was the antagonist of the week when karasuno played his team before aoba johsai in the 2nd season and his team was the one that was like "hey we know we aren't that great but he's REALLY tall" and then later at the training camp he was embarassed because Being Tall didn't fly with actually decent players but hinata cheered him up in his usual way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

there is a 0% chance the rest of the anime isn't adapted. haikyuu is one of the highest selling manga in the world this year. it's incredibly popular