Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I got way into Haikyuu about 1.5-2 years ago. I keep going back to it, either to rewatch full episodes/seasons or specific moments via youtube clips. Even the most shameful form of entertainment, reaction videos, Haikyuu makes them enjoyable because EVERYBODY gets hype watching it. I'm ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I appreciate that every time Haikyuu has a focus episode for a specific one or two characters, the core message is always "this is why he is a good boy despite his personality quirks, and this is why he's a scary freak as a volleyball player." Tora and Kenma both thinking "I'm just glad he's not on the other team" was the perfect way to reconcile what seemed like two very incompatible personalities.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Bullbar posted:

Who is this dude watching and commentating? Have we seen him before?

He was on the team Nekoma beat in the Land vs Air OVA

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

gently caress that was good. That last 7 or 8 minutes is why watching 4 seasons of a thing that builds and builds on itself can be so much more satisfying than a little 12 episode self-contained story.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

You know it's a good episode of anime when you cautch yourself just muttering characters' names with a big dumb smile on your face like four times as they have important/triumphant/clutch moments.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

That was so, so good, holy poo poo. These boys are astounding. I don't know if I liked that match more than Shiratorizawa but I'd need to watch it all in a row to make sure, and I'll probably skip that Nekoma interlude in the middle cause it kind of broke up the action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

One last thing: I hate Kita. He is the first character that I genuinely dislike down to the very writing. He is supposed to have not played until his final year. He's not a starter. Yet he is the perfect player who is presented as basically the best player ever. It's incredibly annoying and poor writing. One or two good plays? Fine. Every single great play? Nope. Not for someone who we are blatantly told is not very good.

Kita is literally just "practice makes perfect" personified. He's a very solid defensive player who subs in to help keep his rowdy hothead underclassmen from unraveling under pressure. If he didn't make a bunch of clutch saves then what would be the point of him coming off the bench? His role is basically just the same as Daichi's, but even more extreme because of how he was raised and what kind of person he is. Daichi's always in the spot of being the glue that keeps the team together but he's pretty hotheaded himself, whereas Kita's level demeanor and views on being able to put what you practiced into your performance means he's confident in his skill level, even though he admits it's nothing spectacular. He's not a scary player, but he enables the rest of the team to stay scary.

Hell the longer the match goes on the more apparent it becomes that Inarizaki is basically a mirror match for Karasuno.