Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

So really, the question is how Samus stacks up against Galacta Knight.

(Pictured: Meta Knight hears Star Dream's commentary as Star Dream summons Galacta Knight.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Bruceski posted:

Lessee...
Prime: kills(ish) a meteor, planet remains.
Prime 2: Planet survives
Prime 3: multiple planets, I think only one blows up.

Samus does end up blowing up the Ing dark world at the end of 2, so that's either another planet or an entire alternate dimension depending on whether the dark 'verse extends beyond the planet or not.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That's less of a roar and more of a screech. I think the X may have spliced Neo Ridley with a bat; he may be echolocating.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Thanks for the Ridley warning, everyone. I made sure to turn the volume on my earbuds way down the moment I saw him.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Also, I'm glad Tea was there to talk Nat into going back and finding that save room after he blazed right past it. I was about to scream. ;)

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The true question is less, "Would the X eventually gain feelings if they fed on all the life forms in the galaxy?" and more, "What would happen if the X came into contact with Phazon?"

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Shitenshi posted:

The true question is less, "Would the X eventually gain feelings if they fed on all the life forms in the galaxy?" and more, "What would happen if the X came into contact with Phazon?"

Dork Samus-X.

In honor of this one-liner, have two collections of clips of exploiting the SA-X's AI. (Contains spoilers for endgame.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Ap14qUORo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uxz1y3IyPI

Quackles fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 9, 2020

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Watching that first vid I realized something.

That bit where you're on top of the high wall and an aggro'd SA-X keeps jumping and can't reach you?

The SA-X does not. ever. use the Space Jump until the actual final boss battle. Only single Screw Attack powered spin jumps.

But it was made clear that the SA-X is you at full power, and there's nothing indicating it didn't have Space Jump powers before that fight.

It's almost like the SA-X is bad at using the Space Jump and prefers not using it until given no choice, by which time it's had plenty of time to practice it.

Just like a certain other Samus we know.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I mean, it had to get the template from somewhere, and I don't see any other space jumping bounty hunters with bird-people foster parents around...

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'm late to this LP, but the discussion of Data Rooms and 'downloading missiles' lets me talk about my fan-theories regarding such things.

The way I see it, the thing that sets Chozo tech apart from others was their mastery of energy. Their elevators are made of it, their ghosts are made of it, the Morph Ball effects in Prime show Samus as a sparking ball of energy inside the armoured shell, and the Chozo have a tendancy to store items in spheres the same size (Often in the hands of their statues) and build complicated machinery to transport these spheres long-distances, from pneumatic tubes to cannons and catching-devices.

Plus, they invented an Ice Beam. They can shoot coldness at you. They can make an energy beam out of the absence of thermal energy!

It suggests to me that Chozo could pretty easily turn things into energy and back again, but storing that energy in an armoured sphere and launching it at high-speeds was more efficient for moving things than transmitting that energy via teleportation.

In addition, Samus' Power Suit has been shown to be able to integrate tech from a number of different sources, from Federation weapons, Luminoth artifacts, Space Pirate mad science, Phazon corruption and (Once augmented with metroid DNA) absorbing X.

These combined, suggest to me that when Samus obtains a new ability, it's more like her suit has understood the tech to the point where it can convert spare energy into the parts of itself required to make it function. Likewise, she isn't carrying around missiles so much as converting energy into missiles on demand. Whether she obtains these abilities by obtaining and analysing an artifact with the ability, or directly downloading the data from a terminal, the result is the suit now knows how to make missiles/a heat shield/power bombs/bigger jumps.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Elfface posted:

I'm late to this LP, but the discussion of Data Rooms and 'downloading missiles' lets me talk about my fan-theories regarding such things.

The way I see it, the thing that sets Chozo tech apart from others was their mastery of energy. Their elevators are made of it, their ghosts are made of it, the Morph Ball effects in Prime show Samus as a sparking ball of energy inside the armoured shell, and the Chozo have a tendancy to store items in spheres the same size (Often in the hands of their statues) and build complicated machinery to transport these spheres long-distances, from pneumatic tubes to cannons and catching-devices.

Plus, they invented an Ice Beam. They can shoot coldness at you. They can make an energy beam out of the absence of thermal energy!

It suggests to me that Chozo could pretty easily turn things into energy and back again, but storing that energy in an armoured sphere and launching it at high-speeds was more efficient for moving things than transmitting that energy via teleportation.

In addition, Samus' Power Suit has been shown to be able to integrate tech from a number of different sources, from Federation weapons, Luminoth artifacts, Space Pirate mad science, Phazon corruption and (Once augmented with metroid DNA) absorbing X.

These combined, suggest to me that when Samus obtains a new ability, it's more like her suit has understood the tech to the point where it can convert spare energy into the parts of itself required to make it function. Likewise, she isn't carrying around missiles so much as converting energy into missiles on demand. Whether she obtains these abilities by obtaining and analysing an artifact with the ability, or directly downloading the data from a terminal, the result is the suit now knows how to make missiles/a heat shield/power bombs/bigger jumps.

:staredog:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Watching that first vid I realized something.

That bit where you're on top of the high wall and an aggro'd SA-X keeps jumping and can't reach you?

The SA-X does not. ever. use the Space Jump until the actual final boss battle. Only single Screw Attack powered spin jumps.

But it was made clear that the SA-X is you at full power, and there's nothing indicating it didn't have Space Jump powers before that fight.

It's almost like the SA-X is bad at using the Space Jump and prefers not using it until given no choice, by which time it's had plenty of time to practice it.

Just like a certain other Samus we know.

I love this take so much.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I think it just felt sorry for you. Wanted to keep things on an even playing field.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

There were teleporters in Metroid 2: Return of Samus, though... though the loading screen shows Samus passing through some sort of energy dimension, so it could still work.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Light suit transportation in Prime 2?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

And with that we're done!

The next LP was meant to be Ogre Battle SNES but we've realised that doing that online will be a massive pain owing to the need to fast forward in the game. (Also Tea still hasn't managed to get himself a mic which is also a bit of an issue)

We've got a few options in front of us (I'm currently advocating for Jiggies of Time) but honestly we would genuinely appreciate suggestions from you guys on what to do.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Congratulations! :golfclap:

Oh man, I could never beat the SA-X when I was a kid, so I made sure to get 100% of the items before fighting it. And just baaaaaaarely beat it.

Also, fun fact: You also get different pictures below 4 hours completion and below 2 hours, I believe.

Can I vote for Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow on the GBA?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Quackles posted:

Congratulations! :golfclap:

Oh man, I could never beat the SA-X when I was a kid, so I made sure to get 100% of the items before fighting it. And just baaaaaaarely beat it.

Also, fun fact: You also get different pictures below 4 hours completion and below 2 hours, I believe.

Can I vote for Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow on the GBA?

I also second Aria (if you played it already then do a randomizer I guess)

I think there's also different pics for 100% and maybe low%? Or maybe I'm thinking zero mission.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I think there's also different pics for 100% and maybe low%? Or maybe I'm thinking zero mission.

According to GameFAQs and the Metroid wiki, there are different pics for:

• Game clear (not 100%), > 4h

• Game clear, 2-4h

• Game clear, <2h

• 100%, >2h

• 100%, <=2h

I'm pretty sure I saw the latter outfit show up again in Smash 4.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

That was certainly a journey. I'm glad you seem to have come around on this game after all the frustration and whinging about the Space Jump, the final arc of this game is definitely one of the high points and represents some of the best story writing in all of Metroid (not that it has that much to compete with, admittedly). It's a shame it's been tarnished in hindsight by Other M; Adam in this game was a pretty great character (which is probably one of the reasons that game was such a gut punch, people were excited to learn more about him and then... oh). I'm not quite sure how Sakamoto wrote both games.

The SA-X fight is interesting in that it's terrifying and difficult the first couple of times you fight it, but its AI can be easily manipulated once you work out how and then it's a harmless chump. The mutant toad phase is similar, it literally just has the one easily-dodged jump slam and looks a lot more dangerous than it actually is.

I think you would probably enjoy Zero Mission if you get around to it at some point (if nothing else, the Space Jump comes extremely late, right before the ending, and I think you can basically beat the game without ever using it, which you'll probably appreciate), but I suspect you're probably feeling a bit Metroided out. Aria of Sorrow is pretty great and I think you'd probably enjoy it; it doesn't quite have the je ne sais quoi of Symphony IMO but it's very close and it's more tightly designed in a lot of ways. Plus I have to admit I'm fond of what it tried to do story-wise.

Edit: thanks, Quackles, for posting the ending images. It's probably also worth noting that the Japanese version had a separate set of ending images for Hard Mode (though honestly most of these are kind of... bad, we're not missing much), but they removed Hard in the English release so we don't get to see those.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Zero Mission is good if you want some more metroid, but if not I totally understand. I wouldn't mind seeing Castlevania either; I'm a pretty big Metroid fan but I've never actually seen anything to do with the other metroidvania series.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

You beat the SA-X in three tries. I had to pass the gba to one of my friends at school to beat it (I also had less health than you when I got to it).

Another vote for Aria of Sorrow.

Edit:

Explopyro posted:

Edit: thanks, Quackles, for posting the ending images. It's probably also worth noting that the Japanese version had a separate set of ending images for Hard Mode (though honestly most of these are kind of... bad, we're not missing much), but they removed Hard in the English release so we don't get to see those.

Minor correction: The NA release of Metroid Fusion was first, and the JP version came out three months after that. They added hard mode for JP, they didn't take it away from NA.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 10, 2020

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Thank you both once again for an excellent LP. I could never get past Nightmare back when I played this, so cheers for showing off the rest of the game. Hope you both manage to stay safe during Lockdown 2. And here's hoping Merseyside Tea makes a return too! :xd:

As for a suggestion of what to LP next, assuming it's a Nat 20 solo project, I'd like to suggest Yoku's Island Express, a bright and colourful light-metroidvania where you control the titular character across an island with pinball-style controls. It's lots of fun, not too long and it's currently £4 on Switch until the 16th.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
To answer Tea's last question, it's absolutely the bickering.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cloud Potato posted:

Thank you both once again for an excellent LP. I could never get past Nightmare back when I played this, so cheers for showing off the rest of the game. Hope you both manage to stay safe during Lockdown 2. And here's hoping Merseyside Tea makes a return too! :xd:

As for a suggestion of what to LP next, assuming it's a Nat 20 solo project, I'd like to suggest Yoku's Island Express, a bright and colourful light-metroidvania where you control the titular character across an island with pinball-style controls. It's lots of fun, not too long and it's currently £4 on Switch until the 16th.

Oh man, I'd forgotten about Yoku's Island Express! I also have played it (100%ed it, in fact) and it's doooooooooope. Good music, too.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

FeyerbrandX posted:

Im also second Aria
BUT
The Aria of Sorrow Alter romhack.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Good job beating Fusion. I was yelling at the screen when Tea said that SA-X was the last boss.

I think Tea fills the essential role of someone who gives a voice to our frustrations when you get stuck. Of course, this is why I would never stream a game like this because I would spend an hour trolling the viewers on the space jump. I would also get stuck for an hour and then give up and take a nap.

That said, I don't like the space jump mechanic either. I, too, would rather have a jet pack.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
And now you know why I kept yelling at you to learn to aim diagonally :v:

Good job, like I said before I think this game is unfairly maligned by Metroid die-hards. I think both Zero Mission or Aria of Sorrow would be great next games to play.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I will suggest Cosmic Star Heroine, because that game is really good at SNES-era RPG combat and I feel like the group could use a break from Metroidvanias.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
On the one hand, I was super looking forward to Ogre Battle. On the other hand, I was also thinking "how the hell is that going to work."

I'm going to break from the pack and recommend not Aria. You're played a lot of Metroidvanias lately, and if that's what you want to focus on that's fine, but since you were planning on Ogre Battle I'm guessing you're interested in trying something different. If you're interested in SNES games, there's a reason it's famous for it's RPGs. There's lots of famous ones; Final Fantasy III/VI, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG to name a few - you could pick one one or both of you haven't played and go with that. Or if you have played those, I'll name one of my favorite, and much lesser known SNES games: Soul Blazer. It's also real time and a bit shorter than most traditional RPGs, so I think it works well for the LP format you have going.

If you don't want an RPG (though I suspect if you were going to do Ogre Battle you aren't opposed), hell, just pick pretty much anything from a SNES top 10 or 20 list and I'm sure you'll get lots of goons tuning in for nostalgia value.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bremen posted:

Or if you have played those, I'll name one of my favorite, and much lesser known SNES games: Soul Blazer. It's also real time and a bit shorter than most traditional RPGs, so I think it works well for the LP format you have going.

Oh man I always loved Soul Blazer. It was the SNES game I'd keep renting again if whatever new super popular game I was after was already checked out. (Crystalis filled the same role in the NES days)

I like Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma too, but the gimmick of Soul Blazer always appealed to me a little bit more.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Thanks for the LP! I'm glad you liked it even though the Space Jump sucks.

Have you played Zeldas? Like Link to the Past or Link's Awakening?

If you're still in a Metroidvania mood I'll toss out a recommendation for Timespinner, the best Castlevania :v:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Speaking of that trilogy though, is there an actually good translation of Terranigma out now? I know Nat's already played Terranigma so it wouldn't be a blind run like he's fond of, but showing off a newer translation where the plot makes more sense would be great for those of us who remember a lot of confusing bits.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't think I could ever play Terranigma without such iconic lines as "Thank you for arousing me."

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I'll toss in a vote for Jiggies of Time. Would that be blind for both of you?

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Quackles posted:

Oh man, I'd forgotten about Yoku's Island Express! I also have played it (100%ed it, in fact) and it's doooooooooope. Good music, too.

I would also like to see this. There's so much character in it and if you don't get hung up on 100%ing it (I got hung up on 100%ing it) then it is fairly frustration free.

Or as proper curveballs that may not be your jam at all, how about modern investigatory classics The Return of the Obra Dinn or The Outer Wilds? Nothing in your LPography suggests these are a good idea but then I would not have seen XCOM 2 a mile away either.

Regardless, another top notch LP gentleman, thank you.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fwoderwick posted:

Or as proper curveballs that may not be your jam at all, how about modern investigatory classics The Return of the Obra Dinn or The Outer Wilds? Nothing in your LPography suggests these are a good idea but then I would not have seen XCOM 2 a mile away either.
This sounds hilarious but it all depends on how you feeling about being naval/space detectives.
For a safer option, Yoku is always cool.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Natural 20 posted:

(Also Tea still hasn't managed to get himself a mic which is also a bit of an issue)

I tried to up the Patreon contribution some for this, but couldn't seem to find a way to do it.

For a filler until Tea can be involved, a classic Megaman run might be fun.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Gnoman posted:

I tried to up the Patreon contribution some for this, but couldn't seem to find a way to do it.

For a filler until Tea can be involved, a classic Megaman run might be fun.

This is largely due to incompetence at this point so please don't worry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Tea doing PIP sign language...

Congrats on finishing Nat. I don't have any input on a next Metroidvania as I wouldn't call any other ones besides Hollow Knight a must-play and Tea's spot on that it's more of a dark room and headphones kinda game than a co-op buddy adventure. I wouldn't mind a stopgap MM3 playthrough though, it's the one I had as a kid and I'd be interested in your highly analytical take.