Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Sorry, but I have to disagree. The worst method for removing Samus' powerups is "I choose not to use a powerup because a commanding officer who is not my commander has not ordered me to use it, even if it kills me." From the same game that tried to make "Oh, I have Power Bombs" a character growth moment.

Fusion and Prime were contemporaries to the point that if you had a Game Boy Advance and the Link Cable, you could connect your complete Fusion save to Prime and unlock the Fusion Suit in Prime. I did that. I don't know whether to be proud of it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

FeyerbrandX posted:

At least the power bomb limitation made sense in the "we think it might asplode the station" even though after doing that you can just bomb whereever with impunity.

Even more sensibly than that, it was "we think the intense heat produced might kill any survivors we haven't found yet." Once you've finished searching the station, there's no more harm to be done.

But I can't stop picturing Adam watching Samus see the switch that leads to progress behind a glass panel, turn around and leave because she can't access it, then get trapped in a glass cage with enemies shooting in at her from all sides and spend two minutes dodging before he finally says "Hey, you've got a beam that shoots through glass. Maybe you should use that."

Or the broken hallway she could just grapple across, but no, better find another way around. Then that way doesn't pan out. "Oh, there was a grapple spot back in the direction that was actually the short way to go. Your Grapple Beam might work there."

Fusion is one of the rare times when the method for powering up kind of makes sense. They have to figure out how to make the old upgrades interface with the new suit, then send the data to the specific terminals in the station. Why do the Space Pirates spend so much time trying to replicate Morph Ball technology when they've always got an orb sitting somewhere right near their base?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

pointlessone posted:

Even as flawed as Other M is, if you ignore the story the game play is pretty fun.

Sorry, but I'm stuck in first person mode in this third person game until I find the pixel that is considered "game play".

It was, however, quite fun after getting the Space Jump. Not a moment before, in my opinion. And this notwithstanding that ignoring the story only goes as far as the story being what prevents you from playing the game, because please tell me how using the Gravity Suit is going to kill people Mr. Adam Sir and also Sector Zero was the place where they put all the Metroid.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I just realized. This mechanic of defeating enemies and then having to grab the drops before they turn into new enemies... it's Mighty Number 9.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Quackles posted:

I don't think they always do in Super? Because Super had the X-Ray Visor.

It's possible that collapsing blocks don't appear when you bomb them, but I know all other types do. Collapsing blocks, however, are still obvious when you place a bomb on top of them, so I think it's still a sound plan. The same is true for the parts where it looks like a wall but there's nothing there. They share a disdain for holding weight.